The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Dave Dee vs Jim Snack (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1730 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
I have been considering to get a marketing program for a (far too) long time, and have decided to do something about this now.

I would appreciate some down to the point, good advices on what program I should purchase. I mentioned Jim Snack and Dave Dee above, that is the two programs for magicians/mentalists I know about. Maybe there are even other that you could suggest?

Note;
I am in Norway, which means that the progam should be flexible enough to use in other countries than US

I am not a full time working pro, neither are my intentions to become one. I am rather a "working hobbyist" doing about 20 performances a year, a number I'd like to increase somewhat.
This means that I need a good, proved program, but not too advanced and time consuming like that one for a professional might be.

Thanks

Sven
A_Blake
View Profile
Loyal user
The Thoughtreader
203 Posts

Profile of A_Blake
Sven...

My friend Dave Harper has recently put out his own marketing program... I've known Dave for quite a few years and he's a top-knotch marketer both in and out the magic/mentalism arena... his package is designed specifically for mentalists...

I recently got a copy of his package and it's quite good... not heavy-weight in that it has a lot of stuff that you'll never consider or use but real-life tested and proven information that he himself has used to book himself consistantly (Dave has appeared on many of the Brian Flora marketing audios & videos that were put out in the 90's before Brian passed away)...

The package is comprised of a comb-bound manual with details on marketing and promotion as well as examples of his marketing materials... the manual is based on using direct marketing principles that attracts attention, gets leads and lets you close the sale... and the principles of direct marketing can be adapted quite easily wherever you live as this form of marketing is used the world over...

Also included are 3 audio CD's which include complete descriptions of Dave's mentalism act plus the details of the effects workings and even more information on marketing, promotion, deal making, presentation, etc...

Dave has been test marketing the package via ebay and he usually has 1 or 2 up for sale but I just checked and didn't see any auctions right now... you can though see a page that's still on ebay (from an already completed auction) which details the information about the package.

You can contact Dave at millard_grubb@mac.com (his real name is Millard Grubb, Dave Harper is his performing name) for more details or to inquire about purchasing his package directly...

Hope this helps...

Success!!!

Tony Blake
The Thoughtreader
Õ¿Õ¬
Anthony Blake
The Thoughtreader™ - http://www.thoughtreader.com
Mindreader - Urban Shaman - Psychic Illusionist
"Exploring The Curiosities Of The Mind™"

FREE Report From Bob Cassidy For Mentalists

Discover The Mentalist Alliance
mystic1
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of mystic1
Before patronizing Dee or Harper you may want to investigate each and make your own mind up about whether they are exposers.
ThomasBerger
View Profile
Special user
593 Posts

Profile of ThomasBerger
Sven,

Start off with some books.
This is superb and will give you a lot of info about the direction to go--

"The fall of advertising and the rise of PR"
by Al Ries and Laura Ries

The website gives you a flavour--
http://www.ries.com/

You need to learn copywriting.
This is critical.
I use Cash Copy By Jefrey Lant, also on the web, but any good book will do.

Also visit business forums.
Tony is too modest to plug his, but he is one of the best marketers around:
http://www.ablake.net/forum/

I always use the rule--
Find a working model of success.
By that I mean if you want to learn to be a top notch mentalist, find a mentalist that has done this, not a kids magician for eg.

A university business professor complains that Donald Trump
is "only tangently a businessman", and that he gives out bad business advice on the TV show.

The thing is, if you want to make money, do you listen to a Uni lecturer, or someone that has done it like Trump?

Thats the point.
Life is too short to read and study everything, so you have to be very
careful with your time.
As in anything, the Paretto principle applies--80% of your profit will come from 20% of your clients/business. Find that 20% that is most productive.

Get a website up.
Learn email marketing to keep in touch and build relationships.

Read the blog by Seth Godin reliously, he promotes permission marketing and doing things completely different from the masses in his book Purple Cow.
http://sethgodin.typepad.com/

His book on how to create a virus in marketing (not the destructive program, its a marketing ploy that people pass along to show other people etc.) is available for free download.

Use leverage--ie contact people who book ie agents, but MORE importantly EVENT Planners. They do corporate gigs which is what you are after.

Get yourself promo.
Look at some professional guys that are working and look at their stuff.
Look at how they position themselves.
You can even find Riders (show requirements) that you can download.
Look at thye standard required to get corporate gigs eg The Evasons.

A brilliant marketing website to visit always is http://www.marketingsherpa.com/
they have actual case studies.
This is not "I think" stuff--
This is what people find is actually working.
Subscribe to their free newsletter and get the latest stuff when it comes thru.
The email marketing, how to test to get best response etc is brilliant stuff
that has been demonstrated to work.

If you cant be bothered and are looking for a "shake and bake" quick and easy answer, then look into courses.
I am about to self-shoot a DVD on marketing mentalism which should be ready in a month or so.
I have been full time performer for 10 years and will include templates, marketing materials, and stacks of stuff, so if you aren't in a hurry, that might help.

Anyway, you need to get basic skills.
IMO, copywriting is mandatory.
It is not hard, you just have to change your thinking.

Good luck.
Tom
Zack
View Profile
Special user
550 Posts

Profile of Zack
Honestly you need both of them.

But If I was forced to choose, I'd say Dave Dee.

They are very different products. Dave's is a course on MARKETING and includes letters and onesheeters all ready to go. Dave will give you massive return on investment. Jim's is a general book on how to run a career...lots of long term planning, what to do, how to do it.

I'd say get the Dave Dee course, then with the money you make from putting Daves ideas in action, then get Jim Snack.

Millard Grubb I wouldn't recommend at all. His course is nothing but reproductions of his old promo material, interspersed with some essays that he apparently took from other marketing gurus and substituted "magician" for "restaurant" or some such (really, it looks like he did a find/replace). Worst of all is his advice to stop reading newspapers or TV news except for FOX news. (i'm not making this up.)

I checked the link to ebay, and realized that Blake is talking about an entirely DIFFERENT Millard Grub product than the one that I purchased.

My sincere apologies.

I am not familiar with this product, and am not able to render an opinion on it.
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1730 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Gentlemen;

Thank you for your input!
That was very useful, and I have got loads of advice here.
I will start to look in to the various threads and sources quoted right away.

I really appreciated this!

Regards

Sven

Quote:
On 2005-01-04 23:33, ThomasBerger wrote:
I am about to self-shoot a DVD on marketing mentalism which should be ready in a month or so.
I have been full time performer for 10 years and will include templates, marketing materials, and stacks of stuff, so if you aren't in a hurry, that might help.

Tom;

In addition to all the other valueable advices I got, this sounds interesting!
I'd appreciate it if you would put me on your information list.

Sven
ThomasBerger
View Profile
Special user
593 Posts

Profile of ThomasBerger
Sven,

No problem.
I'll keep you updated.

Cheers.
Tom
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
2104 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
I'd just like to say thanks for everyone's input here, found it very useful.

Cheers again,

K
**NEW** 41+ Hard-Hitting Mentalism Routines For Stage and Close Up. My new book 'Bairn': http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Dave Dee vs Jim Snack (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.276806 seconds, requiring 32 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [4] [9] [2] [5] [3] [5] [2] [9]