The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The September 2002 entrée: David Regal » » Favorite Packet Trick » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Sauron
View Profile
New user
England
83 Posts

Profile of Sauron
Slim chance of that, Mr Regal!
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1546 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
David, you're candidness is unbelievably refreshing.
My problem was exactly the opposite. I am great at doing the close-up magic and cards and being fun and interesting (at least people tell me that I am), but when I'm on stage, I become someone else. One of the guys who's had a great influence on me is my friend, Stephen Bargatze. My problem is, I sometimes find myself "becoming him" on stage and that is the very thing I'm working on...who am I on stage?
That's a tough one to answer
(sorry this isn't about packet tricks)
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
Victorian Secrets: An Evening With The Spirits!
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Finding oneself, and avoiding being another, is not easily addressed. I can think of two routes, one easy, one not so easy.

1) Not So Easy
Script an effect you plan to perform on stage. If there are questions you plan on asking volunteers, write some replies to their anticipated responses. By scripting the effect you can consciously avoid moments where you think you are too similar to your friend Stephen Bargatze. Also, identify the moments when you feel you are too like your friend, and jot them down. Now come up with alternate moments to replace the ones that trouble you. If you can't change all of them, change one to start, then continue to work on the others. If you feel you are "generally" too much like your friend, you need to be less general - isolate what it is that seems too close, then try altering those elements until you feel you are projecting something more original. Stand up comics are always facing this problem, so it's not unique. You are a different person from your friend, so a good starting point would be to try injecting a little of your personal reality into the character. You can mutate it, exaggerate it, just touch on it, but it will be unique. It doesn't have to be 100% you, it can be an element of you that, when magnified, helps serve your purpose.

2) Easy
If this Bargatze guy is better than you, kill him and keep doing him.
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1546 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
David, you need a job? I need a writer! Smile
That's great advice. I appreciate that you took time to write me back on that.
Thanks.
Rick
ps, Did I read somewhere that you wrote this evening's episode of "Raymond"?
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
No. I wrote an episode that shoots this week, probably on in a couple of months.
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1546 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Keep us posted on the Raymond episode. I'd be interested in knowing exactly when.
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The September 2002 entrée: David Regal » » Favorite Packet Trick » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL