The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The September 2002 entrée: David Regal » » Speaking Volumes » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
"PDQ Coins Across" in Paul Harris's "SuperMagic"
Coram Deo
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
Does anyone use a variation of the "miraskill" principal? I just read a neat expansion of it in an old "linking ring" that combines the standard effect with a kicker involving the gilbreath principal. Very nice.
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
My votes for hidden gems:

1. Emotional Reaction by Dai Vernon (Inner Secrets of Card Magic)
The performer reveals a chosen card by sensing the minimal body reaction of the spectator when she sees her card. It's an ingenious application of the good old key card principle. Presentation is everything here. Combine this with Vernon's "Out of sight, out of mind" and you have a very powerful combination.

2. Staring Him In The Face by Dai Vernon (Further Inner Secrets). I have never seen anyone doing it. A chosen card is pushed back in the center od the deck. Performer puts the deck back in its case. A spectator holds the cased deck between two fingers. The Performer slaps on the case, the case falls down, and the amazed spectator looks at a single face up card, the chosen card, in his hand.

3.Stanley Jaks' Good Luck card (Tarbell Course In Magic, Vol.5)
A card is selected, marked, returned and the pack shuffled. Performer shows a coin purse with a small buddha statue in it. He takes the statue out and the otherwise empty purse is closed and put on the table some inches away from the cards. Performer puts the statue on top of the pack. Now he presents a small wand and lays it with one end on the deck and one end the purse. After a magical gesture the signed card is missing from the deck. It is found folded up in the purse.
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Quote:
On 2002-09-14 00:45, Ron Giesecke wrote:
Right here I think I'll toss in Doug Edwards' "Packs a Wallop." Stunning trick.

Ron's right - it's first trick in the book, and a trick I used to see Doug perform. It's an easy effect, so many might pass it by, but it has elements that are very unique, surprising and magical.
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Quote:
On 2002-09-14 00:57, RandyWakeman wrote:
David,

I sense you are on a bit of an impish high this evening! Yes, it's available.

Randy, that was the one time I was not being impish. When I did the original "Speaking Volumes" I had most of the books mentioned, but when someone raved about a trick from I book I didn't have, I went nuts trying to find it. I'm sure that those whose curiosity was piqued by the descriptions of the Bluff Assembly and the Six Card Trick will be happy to know the book is still easily obtained.

As for Randy's comments regarding mold, I am currently having some accidentally discovered mold removed from my home (as it is supposedly a "bad thing"), and I am being taken to the cleaners. Actually they are coming to me.
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Quote:
On 2002-09-14 01:31, cardguy wrote:
Twins Souls - I think it is in either Royal Road or Encyclopedia of Card Tricks.

"Twin Souls" is the first trick in "Encyclopedia of Card Tricks", and it's credited to Al Baker. Thanks for giving such a nice description of the trick - let's add that after the first selection the deck is cut.
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Quote:
On 2002-09-14 02:09, Jeff wrote:
"The Two Card Trick" from The Magic of Bert Allerton. Also listed in The Magic Menu, Jan/Feb 1994 issue 21.

Bert Allerton's The Close Up Magician is a Magic, Inc. publication. Randy Wakeman was kind enough to post their phone number. The trick is stunning, and is a full routine with a mock explanation. As Allerton said, "This has been one of my greatest tricks for years."
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Quote:
On 2002-09-14 02:59, Steven Steele wrote:
"PDQ Coins Across" in Paul Harris's "SuperMagic"

That entire book is terrific. It caused a sensation.
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Quote:
On 2002-09-14 02:56, Quinn wrote:
I love that one as well as the lesser-known King's Triumph from the same book...

As Quinn points out, this book has more than one good trick in it, to say the least. When the book was published I went through every routine with props in hand! There's so much incredible material in there, it makes me want to cry with happiness.
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Quote:
On 2002-09-14 03:23, Flip wrote:
Does anyone use a variation of the "miraskill" principal? I just read a neat expansion of it in an old "linking ring" that combines the standard effect with a kicker involving the gilbreath principal. Very nice.

Tell us the issue, and whose trick it is!
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Quote:
On 2002-09-14 11:05, Uli Weigel wrote:
Staring Him In The Face by Dai Vernon (Further Inner Secrets). I have never seen anyone doing it.

Uli - you mention three great tricks. "Staring Him in The Face" was shown to me (DONE to me) by someone kind when I was young, and I still remember the feeling. It's sensational.
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Quote:
2. Staring Him In The Face by Dai Vernon (Further Inner Secrets). I have never seen anyone doing it. A chosen card is pushed back in the center od the deck. Performer puts the deck back in its case. A spectator holds the cased deck between two fingers. The Performer slaps on the case, the case falls down, and the amazed spectator looks at a single face up card, the chosen card, in his hand.

That is a direct, effective quickie. In addition to Paul Rosini, it was used heavily by both Don Alan and Frank Garcia.
Doug Peters
View Profile
Special user
I have a life, so I only have
591 Posts

Profile of Doug Peters
I'm a big fan of John Carney's Sanverted (Carneycopia) and Fourth Down (originator?) from the book Fechter. Both are simple, clean and strong. I've modified the MO for both effects, but the routines have been staples in my repertoire for years.

Great discussion, David!

Doug
"if you have any answers, it's time to ask harder questions!"
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Hi Doug -

I have "Magician Nightly", but not "Fechter". So...

1) What's the effect of Forth Down?
2) Am I missing a lot by having "Magician Nightly" but not "Fechter"?
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
Quote:
On 2002-09-14 11:48, David Regal wrote:
Quote:
On 2002-09-14 03:23, Flip wrote:

Tell us the issue, and whose trick it is!

Sure, it's written up in "The Linking Ring" June, 1987 issue on page 80.

It's an effect by a gentleman named Allan Slaight and is called "Magnetic Miraskill".

Basically it adds a kicker to the end of the standard miraskill effect where the spectator fairly riffle shuffles the deck and then you boldly predict that there will be NO black or red piles at all! And amazingly, no matter how they shuffle, this always always works.

Tried it on a friend or two and got a good reaction. Just need to see if I can apply the principal to fewer cards to speed up the effect.
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
pnielan
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
154 Posts

Profile of pnielan
One of the first "real" tricks I ever learned was Revelation from Harry Lorayne's Close Up Card Magic. It's a Dunbury Delusion plot, but the handling is simple, sleights are any control to the bottom, glide and jog shuffle. And the use of coins and counting down to a number named by the spectator seems to dress up the trick just enough. I've been doing it for 20 yearsto great effect and without ever being caught. I know more elegant versions of the same plot, but with old, borrowed cards this method is failsafe. Anybody else love this trick?

Another similar trick from the same book is The Little Card That Wasn't There. It's a classic "grandfather" card trick in it's original form. But the addition of the Curry Turnover makes it very nice. The turnover itself is an underrated sleight that's extremely deceptive with even elementary misdirection.
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Thank you Flip. Allan Slaight wrote/compiled The James File.
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Quote:
On 2002-09-14 20:01, pnielan wrote:
...the addition of the Curry Turnover makes it very nice. The turnover itself is an underrated sleight that's extremely deceptive with even elementary misdirection.
It's a very cool move. I still remember being a little kid and watching my older cousin practice the move on the bed with his buddy. It fascinated me, but of course I had no name to put to what they were doing. Years later I got Close-Up Card Magic, and went "That's it! That's what they were doing on the bed!"
Chris A.
View Profile
Inner circle
AKA Chris A.
1123 Posts

Profile of Chris A.
Quote:
On 2002-09-14 20:05, David Regal wrote:
Thank you Flip. Allan Slaight wrote/compiled The James File.
Hey, is the rest of the stuff in "The James File" as cool as that miraskill variation?
AKA Chris A.
Keepin' the Funk Alive
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Quote:
On 2002-09-14 20:08, David Regal wrote:
Years later I got Close-Up Card Magic, and went "That's it! That's what they were doing on the bed!"

Sheesh...where else can someone say that line and NOT offend a room of mixed company...

Smile

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The September 2002 entrée: David Regal » » Speaking Volumes » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL