The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Paul Curry's "The Power Of Thought" (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Anyone have a review for it? I couldn't find one through the search engine.

Posted: Jan 17, 2005 3:10pm
------------------------------------
Anyone? :o
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
marcjh
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
139 Posts

Profile of marcjh
This is great trick. I have been playing with this in the context of a larger routine. Unless I am confusing the name of this trick with another the effect is:

The magician has a blue and red deck of cards. The faces of the blue deck are shown to the spekky and he selects one card which is out jogged. (A completely free choice.) The cards in the the red and blue deck are then turned over one at a time. None of the pairs match. The magician stops when he arrives at the out-jogged blue card. The red backed card at the same location is turned over. The cards match!!! It is a really eerie moment. There is virtually no sleight of hand, and the cards can be inspected.

I bought this as a small pamphlet. It think it is also in the big Paul Curry book.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Marcjh, I have trouble trying to figure out what page 4 and 5 are wanting me to do, can you pm me and explain? I usually only learn by watching and not by reading... as you can tell, I have no clue what they want me to do after I have the break Smile

Alright, I finally have learned the complete workings of this. I have to say, this is a magician fooler!! The spec really has a true 'free' selection of a card. There's no funny moves....You spread the deck towards them and when they see the card they merely "Thought of" you have them upjog it about half way out. You then square the deck leaving their card upjogged, I have them take the actual card and make sure nothings funny or anything and then replace it exactly where it was before outjogged. Again, no funny moves, no misdirection, nothing to hide. You then have the spec with both face down decks in front of them, one blue and one red start to flip the top card of each deck over into a seperate pile. While they are doing so, you make mention that each pair doesn't match. Upon getting closer to their upjogged card, you mention the odds their merely 'thought' of card being in the exact same condition in the opposite deck, with no other 2 cards matching. When they get to their upjogged card, have them pause, then slowly turn over both cards at the same time. WHOA!!! They match!!!! Everything can be examined, nothing ditched, added, or taken away....All you need is 1 blue and 1 red backed deck of cards for this miracle, nothing more, nothing less!! As you can see from my above post, I have a hard time learning by reading. I learn visually, so this trick has been sitting in my suitcase for 9 years, only to discover it recently. So I gave it to a good friend of mine who also is a magician to learn the routine. He learned it in about 5 minutes total and when he explained it to me, I pretty much slapped myself upside the head as I was making it harder than what it really was. I thought it was telling me to cut the cards, and that of course would of destroyed the effect. But no cutting happens at all...Told you I can't read!! LOL!! At anyrate, I'm not sure where to recommend someone to buy this awesome effect as I bought it over 9 years ago. But I'm sure someone here knows. Enjoy!!
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Edward Marlo's 'Staggered Power Of Thoughts' is similar in effect. Juan Tamariz extended it and made a feature trick.

Three selections can be matched in my version of Marlo trick. If you know Marlo trick, you should be able to guess how to match three selections.

Hideo Kato
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
I only know curry's method. pm me if ya don't mind
marcjh
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
139 Posts

Profile of marcjh
A quick point of clarification,
I am not familiar with Ed Marlo's trick that you reference. But according to Juan Tamariz in Sonata, his routine starts with the an effect inspired by a trick called "A Billion to One Chance" by Danny Ray as described by Ascanio in a magic magazine called Ilusionismo from 1959.
While the effect is similar to Power of Thought, "A Billion to One Chance" is slightly different, uses a different set up, and I feel is not as strong. (I'll have to find Ed Marlo's effect to compare. Do you know where this was published?)
10cardsdown
View Profile
Special user
Out There Somewhere
664 Posts

Profile of 10cardsdown
What is the effect of A Billion To One? Smile
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Edward Marlo's 'Staggered Power of Thoughts' is in August 1963 issue of "New Tops".

I later found Marlo was not the first magician who used the principle for this coincidence effect.

Roy Scott used the principle in his 'Clannish' published in March 1957 issue of "Pentagram".

Hideo Kato
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
Is the Paul Curry version in Worlds Beyond,it sounds familiar to a trick I once learned(and forgot)!
Loz
View Profile
Special user
London
777 Posts

Profile of Loz
Yes it is (including I think a variation/enhancement - but not sure)
marcjh
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
139 Posts

Profile of marcjh
Not to beat a dead horse, but...

I was looking through my magic library and I found the source from where I learned this trick. My source was a small magic booklet that I bought for $1.50 on sale from Magic World in Los Angeles. The title of the booklet is "Power of Concentration." It does not mention Paul Curry, but credits Tom Boyer at the end of the booklet for the inspiration of this effect. It was published by Louis Tannen, but the year of the publication is not given.

I do not own Worlds Beyond, but I will have to it check it out to see if this is the same trick. Anyone know anything about this?
robert1996lb
View Profile
New user
Quakertown, PA
23 Posts

Profile of robert1996lb
In regards to Paul Curry, great effect but there is a card effect by Nick Trost in his volume 3 of Subtle Card Creations, called Total card Matching Routine page 596, which works on a similar principle, but the outcome is a three phase card matching effect, which is awesome. I have added an additional effect to this, where the spectator makes three free choices on matching cards, and do the final showing all cards match in order. This is after showing all the cards were not in any order to start with.
Jorib
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of Jorib
Micheal Ammar explains it too on Amazing Card Magic dvd, if I remember correctly.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Paul Curry's "The Power Of Thought" (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL