The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The September 2002 entrée: David Regal » » A question that wasn't asked ! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
David,
I know your time here is winding down, and I know I speak for the rest here how much we appreciate you... This may be a different twist, but is there a question that you thought would be asked and wasn't?..and or a question we should have asked (as it pertains to magic in general) and didn't?
Does that make sense ??
David Paul Smile
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Since I'm not a professional, you might ask how magic fits in my life, and how important it is to me.
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
Hey David!

Uh...how does magic fit into your life and how important is it to you? Smile

Hehehe, no but in all honesty, how important is it to you? How much do you practice and when you were younger, did any elder folk (part of your family) make any noise about it? By noise I mean like nagging that you should be doing something more 'worthwhile' Smile

Hope to hear from you!

Cheers!

Logan Smile
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
I'll now answer the question no one asked.

Magic is important to me in different ways. I work in a business where, in general, one faces forms of rejection continually. Magic has always been a place where I could express myself when others doors closed.

Magic has always been a solace and therapy. It's mixure of the physical and mental always interests me.

Magic has put a few bucks in my pocket at opportune times, quelling anxiety.

I like making people laugh, and magic is a way to do that, and in the case of coming up with a trick that others do, of possibly continuing to contribute for years to come.

But magic is not as important as my family, and I sometimes see the obsession of ours grow to a point where it hurts a relationship. It's possible to feverishly love something, and still have a life alongside/outside it.
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Logan -

I was writing the above while you were posting, so I only now read your note.

My parents were great about my hobby. They used to drive me around as I performed for kids' birthday parties (I assumed they had nothing better to do). I got some Tarbell books, and "Sleight of Hand" from a neighbor - I stayed in the basement for days at a time, reading. I come from a big extended family, so I was very popular with a generation of younger kids as I grew up - I kept them entertained at gatherings. Maybe I was just keeping myself entertained.

Now I can't practice as much as I'd like, but I still learn new moves, flourishes, etc. all the time. Last week I did the Revolution cut about a thousand times while watching reruns with my wife. And I still love working out a method that seems efficient or elegant - I'll sit in a chair outside and zone out for however long it takes.
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
Ain't that the friut of life Smile

Cheers Dave! Nice to hear about your life so far, sounds good!

Logan Smile
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Quote:
On 2002-09-15 13:14, David Regal wrote:
But magic is not as important as my family, and I sometimes see the obsession of ours grow to a point where it hurts a relationship. It's possible to feverishly love something, and still have a life alongside/outside it.
I agree wholeheartedly! Hence, my signature line...
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The September 2002 entrée: David Regal » » A question that wasn't asked ! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL