(Close Window)
Topic: Are these hypnosis books any good ?
Hi all

id just like to know if the following books are any good for a beginner. If anyone could give a small review that would be cool :)

Fun With Hypnosis: The Complete How-To Guide (by Svengali)

The How-To Book Of Hypnotism (by Tom Silver, Ormond McGill)

Many Thanks
Anything by Ormond is gold so without hesitation I would recommend that you get a copy of The Encyclopedia of Hypnotism. It is generally regarded as the bible.
Try to get "Master course in hypnotism" by Harry Aarons. It's what I've based my now 23 year career in stage hypnosis on. "If" you can find a copy, your lucky. I really don't like the McGill stuff, for others, I'm sure it's fine.

~Rick~
Mcgill is good value though a bit dated and confusing at times.
Wait guys. Did you read the Tom Silver/Ormond McGill book? It truly sucked. (Which is a shame, since they're both really wonderful performers).
James...thats what I wanted to say, but didn't want to insult anyone...LOL! Good man !

~Rick~
Thank goodness.

Rick, did you ever see the hypnosis book that Dunninger published?
Go here for a good hypnosis/nlp forum:

http://forum.hypnosis.com/archive/index.php/
[quote]
On 2005-01-25 19:15, procyonrising wrote:
Wait guys. Did you read the Tom Silver/Ormond McGill book? It truly sucked. (Which is a shame, since they're both really wonderful performers).
[/quote]

Thanks for the answers so far...

procyonrising, can you expand on what you said ?

Cheers
I thought Tom Silver, instead of taking the time to produce something wonderful and worthwhile, simply slapped together some stuff and sent it out to get published. Ormond's a really nice guy and will lend his name to almost anything if he feels you're capable.

Suffice to say it's not the work of a professional.

The other book, however, is a gem.
[quote]
On 2005-01-26 04:30, procyonrising wrote:
The other book, however, is a gem.
[/quote]

the other book being 'Fun with hypnosis' ?
"Fun with Hypnosis" looks rubbish but is in fact excellent
I don't have any other books to compare it with, but Fun With Hypnosis (although, as Paul said, it looks like some kind of children's junk) is decent for beginners.

After reading the book I hypnotized a family member the first time I ever attempted it, only a few days later.

I am eager to get The New Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnotism to learn more, but Fun With Hypnosis, being very cheap, is a good book, I'm sure you'd enjoy it. It seemed like an excellent introduction to hypnosis.
I would also highly reccommend Bill O'Connell's audio set, which can be bought from Bill himself or from Steven's Magic.

Best,
Kennedy
Thanks for all the replies.