(Close Window)
Topic: Compars (Carl) Herrmann
I'm trying to locate more information on Alexander's older brother. I've found tons of stuff on Alexander, but anything I find on Carl seems only to be a small written amount and it's almost always tied to the info on Alexander.

Anyone know of something I'm missing?

Rick
Hi Rick. Although Compars did perform over here, as you probably know, he later allowed his kid brother Alexander to have free reign in the New World while he restricted his tours to the Old. Since most of the literature we have access to is generated over here, it understandably focuses more on Alexander. Compars eventually settled in Vienna, where he was very good friends with J. N. Hofzinser, who allowed him to use several of his effects. Magic Christian believes the "Herrmann pass" should properly be credited to Hofzinser, in fact. Some of those who saw both Herrmanns perform credit Compars as being the better of the two, but that must likely be weighed against who they saw first and subsequent expectations. Ironically, Compars started as an imitator of Robert-Houdin and later championed Hofzinser's style, while Alexander started as a sleight-of-hand artist, but later added larger illusions, thus somewhat reverting to the Robert-Houdin school. Compars had to come out of his retirement after losing a fortune in an economic depression, but he was able to rebuild his fortune and helped finance Schliemann's excavation of Troy. The auction of his estate after his death apparently included numerous antiquities from this venture. There aren't many good sources in English on his work, but one would be Burlingame's HERRMANN THE GREAT which, though focusing on Alexander, does have good information on Compars, and THE MAGIC BROTHERS by I. G. Edmonds, which, though written for a juvenile audience, does have information of interest. Hope this helps!
There is also material in T. T. Timayenis' A HISTORY OF THE ART OF MAGIC, which has a long biographical (but romanticized) chapter on the three Herrmann brothers - Compars, Alexander and Leon. Alas, this title is MUCH harder to find that the two mentioned by Mr. Hatch.
Oh yes, if you are looking for specific information, you should try to contact Jim Hamilton out of San Francisco. He lives and breathes Herrmann and has been working on a Herrmann history. I don't have his contact info handy. Sorry.
The more or less recent Adelaide autobiography has a little more information about him
I have an ancient copy of Burlingame's story, of the HERMANNS, for SALE.
Clay Shevlin wrote: " T. T. Timayenis' A HISTORY OF THE ART OF MAGIC Alas, this title is MUCH harder to find"

Well, 14 years later, it just got a lot easier and its free.

Go here:

https://ia800301.us.archive.org/20/items/historyofartofma00tima/historyofartofma00tima.pdf
[quote]On Feb 5, 2019, Jerry wrote:
Clay Shevlin wrote: " T. T. Timayenis' A HISTORY OF THE ART OF MAGIC Alas, this title is MUCH harder to find"

Well, 14 years later, it just got a lot easier and its free.

Go here:

https://ia800301.us.archive.org/20/items/historyofartofma00tima/historyofartofma00tima.pdf [/quote]

Nice find. Thanks.