(Close Window)
Topic: Daniel Garcia's Torn Video
Hey, anyone know this version of torn and restored theme? It says that it is better then ripped and restored and other versions.

Anyone have a review about it?

Tony
I just saw that it is being offered on Magicsmith, but there is no review there. I too would like to hear of a review. It sounds like it could be a good one. Is it one piece at a time?

Corey B.
I'm sitting here with my pre-creased Jack of Clubs just waiting for another method to come matriculating down the reparatory gullet :baby:

--Just kidding. I'm curious as well.
I've seen the tape and I've seen Daniel do the effect. It's the best out there -- anywhere.

A signed card is torn into four pieces. The first two pieces are held very cleanly and brought together, and they just stick. No cover. The restoration is very magical. The next piece is brought up and likewise, it joins the first two. The final piece is then joined to the first three, and the card immediately handed back to the spectator.

Daniel's method is pretty clever, and it gets away from wiping the pieces, covering them at odd moments, or any of that. I'm pretty hard to impress sometimes, but this one has won great favor with me because the restorations are so clean and the way magic should look.

Is there room for improvement? Perhaps, but not much. Any improvement would be in the areas of finesse or subtlety, those small details that would barely be perceptible by the audience anyway. In any event, he fooled everyone present with his effect, even after watching him do it multiple times.

TCR
I saw Daniel perform this recently at TAOM and boy was I impressed. It is leaps and bounds better than any other that I've seen to date -- I know it's an overused expression but it truly looked like real magic and had everyone at the convention buzzed. Fooled EVERYONE. The restorations are incredibly clean. I saw it three times and while I have an idea how it was done, the first restoration still has me stumped big time. Well to be entirely accurate, they all have me stumped. I saw Hollingworth perform his in the Parlor at the Castle in 97 I think and it wasn't a shadow of this. If I was to do a T&R effect, it would be this one. Speaking of, I just might now.
Can you tell us the benefits? Is it done with a signed card? Is it done with the face or the back? Is there a lot of prep before hand? Are the torn pieces put in pockets like in ripped and restored?

Tony
Message: Posted by: Hengky Ciptanegara (Sep 23, 2002 04:44AM)
I'll just add to Tony's questions,

How are the LAST PIECES restored, does it need to be covered with hands (the hands apparently hold the last piece, like Ripped & Restore)?

Where does the spectator sign the card (at the back or in front of the card)?

Do we need to force a card?

Hengky
Good grief,

You know I really thought that the torn-and restored forests have been completely cut down. There's nothing I hate worse than somebody torpedoing my comfortable assertions. We must put a stop to this.

:cucumber:
Eric, I was there with you at the same convention, and the first restoration blew me away, too. You'll be kicking yourself when you learn what it is. It's the height of simplicity and therefore brilliance. Part of what impressed me so much was Daniel's youth, and I hope he can continue to come up with magic of this caliber. In time, as he (and therefore his performance) matures, things like Torn can only get better in his hands.

To answer the other questions flying around, it wouldn't be fair to tip Daniel's method, of course, but here's exactly what it looks like:

A card is signed on the back. It's torn into four pieces. Two of the pieces are pocketed for the moment. The remaining two are held -- one in each hand and backs to the audience -- and simply touched together at an edge. Everything is in plain sight, and the two join together. Right before your eyes with no cover. The third piece is retrieved from the pocket and joined to the first two. The fourth piece is likewise retrieved from the pocket and joined. The card is immediately handed to the spectator.

The restorations are done with the backs of the pieces always to the audience; the identity of the card is irrelevant, so no forces are necessary. At all times, the spectator can see his signature on pieces of the card.

There's a nominal set up, of course, and it takes only a moment. Someone who performed this piece regularly could easily set up fifty in advance and walk around doing it all night long. I can't answer the question about how the fourth piece is handled because that would tip part of the method. I can say that the price of Daniel's video is well worth learning this effect.

Cheers,

TCR
That sounds excellent :) .

I'll have to go take a look at this now. Reformation is a bit too fiddly for my liking.

Euan
Another 2 cents:

Daniel performed this at last week's LVMI and fooled virtually everyone.

I'm no brainiac but I do have the original Reformation tape and have studied the variations since. But this fooled Bob Kohler and he's pretty sharp [understatement!] :)

Regretfully, I didn't pick up the vid from Daniel at the convention. I hear he's got a website coming up but it's "under construction".

Does anyone know where we can buy this?

Steve H :donut5:
You can order this item here.

[url=http://www.magicsmith.com/cgi-bin/webcart/webcart.cgi?CONFIG=mountain&CHANGE=YES&NEXTPAGE=store.htm&CODE=PHOLD]Click Here![/url]

I am getting mine today!
How much was he charging for the video at the convention?
Well I've known Daniel for several years now and can honestly say his magic is top notch. Btw...it was spoken earlier about Daniel that he was only 16...this rumor is incorrect in that Daniel is actually in his twenties! So that takes care of that. Anyway...watch out for this guy, he's got some great magic!

Luke
That was my fault, Luke. I was told he was sixteen, but what happened was that Daniel was saying he's been doing magic for sixteen years and someone misheard him.

Sorry about that!

TCR
Guys, last Saturday night I had the ideal Magic Castle experience: I saw some great magic, (John George's close up act) Did some magic I claimed was "great" (Doug Brewer and I did some stuff for the "overflow" audience) and got my %#& kicked by a new trick.

I liked Daniel's "Torn" so much I made him do it again for Chris Smith, and Chris bought every video Daniel had, on the spot. (There was this great moment where we were all out in the Castle parking lot carrying out this trunk-to-trunk transaction, luckily the police were not alerted)

And Chris liked "Torn" so much that the video is on the Magicsmith website Monday morning!

Get this. It's the best I've ever seen, and I've worked with them all (except "ripped and restored") This is not merely a handling change. Daniel has improved the effect substantially.

You're going to want it later when he advertises it with the Copperfield endorsement, so just go ahead and get it now.

Fact of the matter is, he didn't have that many to sell to Chris, so I know there aren't many left.

Thanks Daniel, for the perfect end to a killer evening at the Castle.
I'm really interested in 'Torn', but I have to say that the description of the effect is much like 'Ripped & restored', I mean with all the 'no cover' restorations.

What's the big difference?

Cheers!

Logan
Is the video available anywhere in the UK?

Euan
Is there any stream vids of the effect on the web anywhere? Because it does sound a bit similar to Ripped and Restored... I'm a sucker for restorations.... oh heck, I'm gonna get it... :lol:
Message: Posted by: Hengky Ciptanegara (Sep 23, 2002 11:45PM)
Yes, I agree too that this effect sounds exactly like "Ripped & Restored" by Yves.

Is it different from audience's view compare with "Ripped & Restored"?

If different, what is the different?

Hengky
Get it! Get it! When the first piece sticks you are going to have to change your pants.

I've seen Daniel do it about a half dozen times and the looks he gets on the first piece is priceless. The pieces look like they are just sticking together. The first time I saw it I thought, "I get it. He's using rubber cement." NO!!! Get it! Get it!
And he has a lecture coming up so keep track of that, too. He has some incredible touchs on effects that are in the realm of psychic movements.

On top of all that, he's a really nice guy.
Greg
Message: Posted by: Hengky Ciptanegara (Sep 24, 2002 12:18AM)
Greg,
The "Ripped & Restored" effect also show the first piece that stick visually and no cover.

What is the advantage using "Torn" method?

Hengky
I have Ripped & Restored and I don't remember the pieces looking that clean when they restore. The first piece and the second piece in Garcia's looks like they are just sticking together without any hand cover. Hopefully, they'll put a clip of it on the Magicsmith site so you can all see what we saw. Let me say this, Bob Kohler was with Hollingsworth when he created his effect and after seeing Garcia's he said it was better.
Greg
Message: Posted by: Hengky Ciptanegara (Sep 24, 2002 01:30AM)
Greg,
If you see again "Ripped & Restored" video, you will see that the first and second restoration was made WITHOUT ANY COVER of the hand and it looks clean especially the first one (the second restoration is a little bit suspicious) and the third restoration is LESS magical because it has a drawback (the last piece is not shown).

I'm just wondering does the "Torn" solve the THIRD RESTORAION problem or make it look better because I think the first and second restoration of the "Ripped and Restored" already looks magical.

Hengky
Hengky, I've looked at the Ripped tape. Although, both are similar, I still feel that Daniel's is spookier looking. His first piece seems to just attach and the second piece has that quality also. The last piece is almost identical to the Ripped piece. All I can say is, I've seen all the one piece at a time effects and this one made me cringe. It just seemed like he had to be using some sort of glue to get the pieces to stick. Anyway, if you have any doubt then stick with Ripped because it is quite good, but you'll see what I mean when you watch Daniel's.
Greg
I have "Ripped and Restored" from Yves, and I think it is EXACTLY the same trick. All the posts have stated no difference between the two. It has to be exactly the same method of doing ripped, just a different handling. If you could see the 4th piece openly then I would purchase Torn but it's the same as Ripped surely.

If I purchase Torn, I feel as if it will be the same method with different handling, as I said above, therefore, I don't feel the urge to purchase this trick. On the other hand, if Ripped is exactly the same method then surely there's a case for copywrite!!!

Can someone send me a private e-mail who has both effects and give me a review of both without tipping the gaff of course to convince me that "ripped" is a different effect and I should purchase it.

Regards
I agree with Rusty, if there's some SOLID difference, then I'd be more interested!

I love T & R tricks and this is all very vague. I have Ripped & Restored and I feel it's very good. Is Daniel's handling easier or just the same? What is the difference?!

Logan
Message: Posted by: Hengky Ciptanegara (Sep 24, 2002 08:55AM)
I think that Daniel's Torn DOES NOT SOLVE the LAST PIECE problem and the "put the pieces inside the pocket" problem which are the two MAIN PROBLEMS on "Ripped & Restored".

Hengky
I'm sure everyone is going to disagree until they see Daniel's version. I hope they put it on the Magicsmith website so you can view. I have no monetary interest in it, but I know that it looked different to me when I saw it performed. And at the Las Vegas Convention the room was filled with all the heavy-hitters and you could hear them go into shock when the first piece restored. Oh, well, like I said before, if you have Ripped then stick with it because it is a good effect.
Greg
[quote]
On 2002-09-24 09:35, Logan wrote:
I agree with Rusty, if there's some SOLID difference, then I'd be more interested!

I love T & R tricks and this is all very vague. I have Ripped & Restored and I feel it's very good. Is Daniel's handling easier or just the same? What is the difference?!

Logan
[/quote]

Logan:

You're right. The descriptions are vague, but necessarily so. This is Danny's effect and his to sell and disclose. The problem is that no one can fully answer your questions without revealing things that aren't ours to reveal.

At bottom, all T&R effects are the same or very similar effect from the standpoint of the spectator. I've seen both R&R and Danny's Torn. From the standpoint of the magician, I like Torn better, merely because it is easier. As a spectator (who is also a magician), I liked Torn better because it looks cleaner.

-James
Thanx James!

Coming from you, I think I'll take a whack at 'Torn'.

Cheers

Logan
I might get it I just don't wanna get ripped. Have to see it first.

Jay
Mr. Met:

If all these people who saw it like it and if it fooled Bob Kohler (who bought a copy of the tape from Daniel), then the likelihood of your getting ripped is not very high.

I, too, saw the show performance at the LVMI and it looked impossible as the 1st piece just stuck there.

If nothing else, if the methods are similar (I don't know), you may get a different/better handling. Go for it!

Steve H :coffee: :hamburger: :donut2:
I bought the video Torn from Chris Magic Smith, the restoration effects are great, except for the last piece. That is pulled from the pocket. All in all, it's an amazing effect and not difficult to do. I've never seen Ripped and Restored, but it's comparible to Torched and Restored.

For those who haven't seen my effect Warped and Restored, only one card is used and both the face and back of the card is shown.
In my opinion TORN is one of the best effects out there.
vinny
Well I ordered it. I couldn't resist. I have torn and restored but ever since watching it love the torn and restored plot. I am hoping it is a different handling. I am sure it is. Maybe if there are parts I like of both routines I can combine them to make it smoother. I hope it truly is different.
Hmmmmm. I've heard a lot of this effect and would LOVE to see it. If anyone has a video of the performance please share. As for ripped and restored, it sounds the same except for how you guys describe the way the pieces "fuse" togather. BTW, is there a restoration where there is no crease left on the card, that would be pure magic.
Dave Williamson (in his book, Williamson's Wonders) has a version of the torn and restored (flash restoration), where you get rid of the creases in the final phase. It is a great routine! then again.. it's Dave Wiliamson, he just has that charisma....
Whew!!!

dudes, I saw Daniel do his T&R at the castle this past Sunday.

All I can say is that it is freaking NICE!

The best I have seen to date.

Normally magicians just stay kind of quiet when they see something cool, but these guys were just taken! You know when you hear the WTF's??? in the background that something good is happening. I caught him right during the restoration and I mean ***!!! I saw the pieces freaking fuse.... one sec it was 2 pieces and the next they were REALLY together..... I got that feeling that I got the first time I saw a dollar bill float.

All I can say is that it was nice.

And I'm not even a fan of T&R cards, but I have checked them all out. I plan on picking up the tape just cause I'm curious to see what the work is..... I still remember that first connection... just so nice!!!
I also saw Danny do this at the LVMI convention. It certainly blew me away. He also fried me with a vanish of a Jumbo coin in a flash paper flash. Danny is very talented both as a thinker and performer. I'm sure we'll be hearing a lot more about him.
Everyone is excited about torn... it's a very good piece of magic. and is one of the best out there. Some of the members are willing to spend $30 and won't cough up the lousy $4 dollars for my warped and restored which is just as strong as torn. the members who received the videos that did not send shipping costs.
The video was free,,,,,,,,,,,
vinny
Hi vinny,

Your warped and restored effect sounds really interesting, are you still selling your video for it?

I'd be interesting in buying a copy if you were.

Euan
Hi Euan, my video is free, all I'm asking is $4 dollars for the shipping. I sent this out to the Magic Cafe, in hopes that the magicians who like torn and restored card could use this idea and perhaps make it better.

As in all torn and restored cards there are weaknesses and strong points. Send me your mailing address and I will give you my mailing address

thanks vinny
And Vinny,

Your extreme generosity will be repaid in the long run, I know it.

--Ron
Torn is very nice. I think Vinny's Warped and Restored is more fun to do though. Torn is very easy to do (a definite plus) but Vinny's is not too difficult either! Get both!
Vinny still has tapes of his Warped and Restored. I am getting mine in a few days and can't wait. Everyone should just get both. If you can't decide on a card restoration, then get Vinny's Warped for now(hey it's free), and mail him a few dollars extra for good karma, and then get Torn later. Everyone who has received Warped has stated that it is very strong. It will be interesting to compare both effects after I get the videos.

A big thanks to Vinny!
Thanks Vinny for your tape. It is great. I liked your flash restoration at the end. Members make sure as many as possable get Vinny's free tape.
Does anyone know of anywhere to buy 'Torn'? It is no longer on Magicsmith's website.
if you type "Daniel Garcia" into the search engine on MagicSmith's website, you will find his tape.
Thanks for the help, it must not have been working when I tried to find the tape. I was kind of worried that the trick disappeared before I got a chance to get it.
Hey guys,
i just wanted to thank all of those who purchased the tape....and who were happy..heheh....and i wanted to thank all those who watched a bootlegged copy for not telling me. :) for all of those who have the tape e-mail me for some extra tips and alternate handelings...for those who don't have it....you can get it from me by e-mailing me or you can purchase it from magic smith....thanks again.
D. Garcia
Danny,

I do not, as of yet have it, but I will get it (through honorable channels ;) ). This will probably be a few months.

--Ron
You know, as the t&r theme has progressed over the years, I can't believe how advanced it has become. It's like the evolvement of the computer from the Timex Sinclair, which in 1981 was the talk of the town, but a mere collectors item today compared to the Pentium IV 2.8ghz.T&R is a great example of this. My first experience was viewing Paul Harris' t&r, and thinking WOW! Then I saw J.C.Wagner's and said WOW! (and believe me, they were fantastic) Then, like the Professor's Nitemare, it progressed with different handlings, and now with Yves and Garcias' version, they have the Pentium IV version, and that is what magic is all about; great innovators and improving on a great theme. Keep it up guys. :rainbow:
I just finally watched the demo of Torn On the Magicsmith website...I'm still cleaning out my pants...Thanx Dan!

I have to get this soon...Darn my bills anyway!
I too was at the last T.A.O,M. convention and saw Daniel Garcia’s torn and restored card. I certainly agree with Eric and Lance. To me, it was very magical, visual and indeed really fun to watch. After watching it two or three times, I suspect that one must "pick your spot" when performing it, to be careful with the angles. Yes, there are a few minor drawbacks, but the strength of the visual restoration overshadows the minor handling problems. To me, it was certainly a beautiful thing to watch.
IM not bragging or anything, but I figured it out. Well the "basic" torn and restored routine I knew from before, but how literally only touching brought the cards together was actually my own method when I realized someone was doing it! :( :mad:
I know everyone loves this, but I don't like the part of putting pieces in the pocket for later.

David Eldridge has a GREAT effect and it looks very clean.
David Eldriges "quaterly Returns " is the best flash restoriation on a torn and restored card effect.
However if you want a flash restoration only using one card with no gaffs or gimmicks then warped and restored by yours truly.
vinny
ps Brad burt and David Eldrige are marketing my effect (warped and restored)
vinsmagic, does Brad carry your effect now? Is it a video?
No it is not a video ,it is in booklet form
and should be out in his next flyer ,. which should be any day.
vinny
Hi Vinny,
Many thanks for your generosity with Warped

for you other guys,

Vinny sent me a Video(all the way to UK)but of course it was the wrong format. He then kindly sent me a CD version.. all free.
From my point of view it would cost me as much to just send "the few bucks".
I know he has spent a lot of time and effort coming up with this routine and then to give it away!!!
So ! all you guys in the States just GET IT
and throw in some loose change for his efforts.You will love it.

Howard
:wavey: :wavey:
I don't learn well from the printed page. I'll have to stick with DVD's. Thanks, though!!
I just received Torn, and I must say it is the best I have seen to date. I have Ripped and Restored, but Torn has that extra touch and the handling I think is easier. The tape starts off with Daniel doing some great magic highlights, and I really hope he comes out with a video soon. :applause:
There is a streaming video of it on the magicsmith website and showing the last piece openly. On ripped and restored it is very easy. You are palming the last card anyway so why not the last piece as well? Just hold it on the card and so the move and it goes into fingerpalm.

Matt
You might also want to try this link:

http://www.magicvideodepot.com/view.php?a=v&t=353
I posted this vid of "Torn" a while ago. For me, this piece is GOLD...

Later,
Peter
I've got to say that the first time I saw Daniel do his routine at the Castle, I was thinking that there's no way on Earth the routine could look that incredible without using tape or glue (or run-on sentences). However, I was wrong. Set up is minimal. The spectator can use any card, and there's no fuss with glue or anything. Not too difficult either.

Of course there's the issue with going to the pocket. A lot of the time I feel that the simplicity and trick photography aspects of "Torn" compensate for the fact that you're going to the pocket. I've learned and often use both "Torn" and Hollingworth's "Reformation" because they're both great routines. "Reformation" is pretty much a perfect routine (although it's more difficult to do). Learn both and use whichever one suits your mood at the time. Good Luck!
PUZZLED. Just spoke to Chris at MagicSMith a few hours go and he told me that the Garcia item had been discontinued due to complaints that it was primarily a duplicate of --I forget the name--that other video of Torn and Restored by the two Frenchmen.
Where did you guys get it?
Marty K
Yeah, honestly I saw a performance clip of it online, (I think it was Garcia doing it)and my first reaction was that it is just Ripped and Restored by Y Doumergue. Perhaps I was unable to appreciate the subtle differences but they looked the same to me.
The routines are different enough to justify separate versions. Daniel Garcia even holds up the Yves dvd and talks about it on his video. I highly recommend TORN. :cool:
I don't know the difference, but when I see the Ripped & Restored demo I see a different effect. The card is held differently, the hands cover it much more etc.

Now this may just be that Daniel was more creative with the SAME routine and STRETCHED its ability to really get the most out of it but even if that is the case, I am glad I
own TORN.

If the moves are the same (And I can see how they might be when considering that the last piece is restored the same) then the effect is still different and in my mind THAT is what makes it its own thing.
The difference is in how the first two pieces join together. That is what got everyone so excited who saw Daniels handling. It's simple direct and brilliant. Other than that , they are the same if I am not mistaken.
Well, I am intrigued ---but--from whence is it available??
MartyK :cowboy:
Well I do Ripped and Restored and after seeing the demo of Torn it seems to me they are very similar. I would say Torn is a variation (more refined) of Ripped and Restored because the core idea and method is the same; the difference is in the subtleties of each join - as others have stated. Because of this I can see how there might be a dispute. It's a difficult line drawing problem trying to figure out when something is a new effect and when it is a variation.

Bottom line is that both of them look great.
It took me some digging but I hit the jackpot on this one. For those interested in buying Daniel Garcia's "Torn" here's where to get it.
http://www.malloymodernmagic.com/

enjoy!
Yes
Torn really tears the audience up!
My eyes are 'tearing' over this effect!!!
joker 808
Thanks. Just (Fri eve) ordered it.
MartyK
Hey Guys,
Thanks again for all of those who have enjoyed performing torn and for all of the kind words that you have said. da5id, I think you hit the bottom line when you said that it is tough to distinguish whether an effect is original or not. There was a dispute whether I should or should not put this effect out. After talking to many high names in magic I finally decided that I should share this effect with the community. For all of those who are not going to purchase the effect, that's ok. I understand. For those who do want it, as of right now there is only one place to purchase it
http://www.malloymodernmagic.com
"Torn" HAS NOT been discontinued. It is still a hot item and I hope that it continues to be.
Thanks again
Daniel Garcia