(Close Window)
Topic: Corporate Close-Up with Martin Sanderson
Just a note to say a VERY exciting DVD has just been launched in the UK. Martin Sanderson is one of our very top professional corporate performers and, from the advertising, he appears to be revealing his entire professional close-up act. I know Martin very well and have worked with him on numerous occasions, and I can vouch for the effectiveness of this material. Details on this, and another amazing DVD on cruise magic by top professional Russ Stevens, can be found at http://www.rsvpmagic.com.
Will it help making friends for the world to see
Let the people know you got what you need?

Magic milk
I am magic milk, here me roar.
Do you kno what the total contents are on this dvd?? Perhaps martin can confirm?
Message: Posted by: All the jibbery jabbery (Feb 20, 2005 06:16AM)
I watched the trailer and enjoyed Martin's accent. It was very interesting.
Hi,
Martin Sanderson here.
Thank you for the interest in my latest project.
Here's another quote which has just arrived:

“Fast, Visual, High Impact, Commercial Magic for the Corporate Magician. I’m already using Storm Force 7, It’s Great!” Paul Gertner. The Paul Gertner Group.

DVD Contents include:

AMBITIOUS FOUR PHASE
Under impossible conditions a signed card appears on top of the deck three times…..then in your mouth….then inside your wallet (inside a sealed envelope) and finally, for the killer finish, it changes into a clear block of plastic on the spectators hand! The ultimate in memorable magic!

COIN UNDER WATCH
Two coins, one is chosen, the other visible vanishes only to be found under the spectators watch! A powerful killer routine with a standard magic prop that you probably already own!

RAPID FIRE CHOP CUP
Bam Bam Bam, you’ll hit them so hard that they’ll be picking themselves up for weeks after this one!
The most direct routine to date. If you have never performed the chop cup routine in your life, GUESS WHAT….That’s about to change!

THINK OF A CARD
The ultimate in opening routines. Perfect for trade shows, corporate events, table magic and reception situations. This routine will quickly establish you as a major player during your opening sequence.

BILL IN KIWI
This one will get you more repeat bookings than any other trick. Every detail is revealed, including some never seen before touches.

BOOMARANG CARD and STORM FORCE 7
Two brand new effects released for the first time!

HINTS AND TIPS
Martin lets you in on some REAL secrets for securing the best corporate work…and increasing your income!

All the very best,
Martin
Nice write up martin!!, look forward to it.
Review, I have been one of the first ones to receive this dvd and can say it is awesome, here is a review of the effects?

Ambitious Four Phase - What a great ambitious card routine this is, it comes to the top of the deck twice, then appears in your mouth, then in your wallet inside a sealed envelope and finally the deck minus the ambitious card solidifies into a solid clear block of perspex, superb! I immediately ordered an omni deck when I saw this routine and a card to wallet in envelope when I saw this routine, yes it is a very powerful routine, wonderful start to the dvd.

Coin Under Watch - Again another very commercial routine, which in my eyes looks very powerful to layman, and remember guys that is what we are going for, this routine may not look impressive to magicians but to a lay audience it slays, another winner!

Chop Cup - Another great standard routine using a chop cup, this one is going straight into my act right away, routine lasts for about 40 secs, which is about right for a chop cup routine, bam bam bam, then lime and kiwi.

Think of a card - Probably the only routine on the dvd I didn't like too much, however I have started playing with it and beginning to like it more and more, seems a bit risky to me, but if you get it bang on first time you have a routine they will remember for a very long time.

Bill in Kiwi - another very strong routine, killer!!

Boomerrang Card - Another winner, this one I have started using already, and oh so simple, I did the wife test tonight with this one and she had no clue!! hahahahaha! What a powerful routine this is.

Storm Force 7 - Straight into my act, very powerful routine, basically, you have a spec think of a card any card, you write a prediction on the back of a playing card, they name their thought of card, you show your prediction it matches!! Yes it is that clean, this effect is worth the price of the dvd.

Overall this is a very powerful dvd, to me this is like gold, I have picked 6 routines out of this dvd that I will be using write away, very highly recommended!! get it from http://www.rsvpmagic.com if any of you guys are going to blackpool be sure to ask martin to dem storm force 7 to you, it will slay you, it did me.

Hope this helps with this review
I don't have the dvd, however, his demo was not very impressive. does this dvd show you a way to perform these tricks better, or is it just filled with common tricks?he seemed to handle cards nicely, but just from the demo, it seems pretty simple
Martin is a previous winner of the magic circle close up magician of the year award. I know Martin and have witnessed cards in his hands, a miracle of sleight of hand. hope that answers your question.
I would like to get a little bit more information about the "Think of a card" effect. Here I got a lot of things before, that has nothing to do with the classic effect. Also it would be nice to have more information about "BOOMARANG CARD and STORM FORCE 7" because are called new effects.
Frank
Is this availabe in the US? If it has material Paul Gertner does..It has to be great.
Can I ask do you need to buy any extra's do do any of the tricks? - obviously a chop cup which I have

I also am only 15 so do not do magic pro do you think I should still be interested in this

thanks

mark
First of all, what is your interest?
Close up
There is one available on EBAY.
For those of us in the states, this has now been listed on Hocus Pocus's website.
TBH, I ordered one and it's on its way...

Reason is, that -for once- this is a DVD made by a working performer, containing material he has used earning his living.

I simply have to se this, weather I use anything therefrom or not.. :)

What's of most interest to me is the *Bill in Kiwi* and the Chop cup routine...I love stuff that is *BANG BANG BANG*..and right to the point..

BTW, Carl Cloutier does use a Kiwi too for his B.I.L. and also, no doubt, the method and handling is diff. , there must be some reason for using a Kiwi..

In Cloutiers handling, maybe is the size, I'll wait with interest what the reason is in Martin Sanderson routine..it's all explained on the DVD..
Can I ask I don't really want to buy anything else I already have the chop cup I am guessing that the only trick I cant do is the card to class one, am I right?????????

Mark
I have a feeling it is best you stick to what you have..
I got the Martin Sanderson DVD today and had a chance to watch through it.

What can I say?

It's always a pleasure to se a real pro work!

If you ask me, I can only highly recommend to get this DVD.

I won't comment all the routines, but just a few remarks..

The B.I.L. using a kiwi is, as expected great and a real winner and worker!

The funny thing is Martin Sanderson does use EXACTLY the same 'sw*t*h' as Carl Cloutier and so can't go wrong...that's the way do do it, it's perfect.

It contains elements of Slydini/Tamariz/ crossing gaze technique in a slightly modified way then originally tought by Tamariz.

Re 'etics' Cloutier contra Sanderson, Sanderson mentioned he did se a Japanese magician using the very same technique years back, so it's not even sure Carl Cloutier did it first that way.

The load is basically the same as used by Bill Malone, as is *the get into it* as well as the *util* used to do the load, so this also is great.
Martin Sanderson gives some great tips re the preparation of the Kiwi that are very important when using a Kiwi, returning the bill aso.

Everything on this DVD is great magic and I'm pretty sure anybody will find inspiration re certain routines, like f.e. the ACR, and as news to most his 'Force 7', which is a very strong -and easy to do- handling.

In fact everything he does is strong magic and especially his Chop Cup routine is straight forward and to the point.
He's one of the very few following the recommendation of a well known and admired oldtimer, to get on and reach the climax fast, and that is what he does, and he does it very well!

There is one thing I disliked (sorry Mr. Sanderson) and that was the never ending stream of speech and bablings, very fast speech, acctually the fastest I've ever witnessed...and here I mean especially in the explanation part of that DVD..

He explains everything VERY thoroughly, actually too thoroughly with a lot of repetitions in the same words...
My ears where almost falling off :P
No doubt this is too much and I'm 100% convinced EVERYBODY watching this DVD will think the same...

Another thing to mention is, that this DVD is produced very professionaly, almost too professionally :)

This means a lot of fancy (but nice)though not colourfull but very tasty graphics, that sometimes delay and destract from what one wants to watch as there often is a too long introduction that has nothing to do with the magic and the contents...pedestrians (in B/W) walking forth and back for quite some time, this type of thing..
BUT, as mentioned, the production and the quality of that DVD is done outstandingly well and professinonal.

Also a lot of fancy B/W sections, without it is too clear *why* these are done the way they are done, actually imitating an ageold 8 mm movie with a bit of fuzz in the picture, dust/hairs stuff like that.
It is 'fancy'..

[b]Nevertheless, as mentioned, I can highly recommend that DVD and I'm pretty sure there is something for everybody interested in the field the DVD excells in..[/b]

One further thing to mention is, that Martin Sanderson does his Chop Cup routine on the hand of a spec, which includes the final loads, and that he here even does use a Morrisey 'normal' sized Chop Cup.
As he said, most will think it can't be done, the specs might feel the loads or the dislodged ball, but he gets away with it.

His performances are 'the' prototype re a restaurant,corporate and tradeshow performer doing strolling/walk around magic outstandingly entertaining and well..
I only can give this release the highest praise and recommendations..

Actually he even does teach and explain the one card spin between middlefinger and thumb, the one I saw the firy first time done by Italys David Costy, when he did his prizewinning act at Ron Mac Millans.

This DVD is a 'must' to own..get it... :goof:
Werner,

As the producer of Corporate Close-Up, I'm glad that you enjoyed the DVD.

I agree that Martin is a superb close-up magician/performer and think that anyone interested in this field can learn a lot from him. You can see more of this DVD at http://www.rsvpmagic.com

Regards,
Russ
Russ and Martin have done a great job on this dvd. This is the dvd I have been waiting for as a dealer, It's full of real world material for anyone that performs to real people.

I have added the bill to Kiwi to my close up act. I also remember Martin showing me his coin under watch routine a couple of years ago when he was in my shop, needless to say I have been using it ever since!

Two big thumbs up to Russ and Martin, this dvd is a real winner!

Peter Nardi
Alakazam Magic
I got mine yesterday and I believe that this DVD will not get very good reviews from the standard reviewer in magazins and so on. There are not ground breaking new effects (Bill in fruit, chop cup, card tricks,..), nothing you can impress at the next club meeting, but here you can see a pro at work!
You can see a real working pro at his work under regular conditions. You can see how his material works for a group standing around Mr. Sanderson without table or at a big table with glasses and candles and so on on it. All his material works under this conditions. If you ever like to perform not only for your family than this kind of material is pure gold for you and I don't ask Mr. Sanderson how long he needs to find and develope this routines for his work.
Personally I like the card routines on the tape. The chop cup routine is very well because you can do it also without a table!
The coin under watch is designed for real working conditions that means after the vanish of the coin is very clean. This will be not for everyone, but in the real world this things makes the difference.
Bill in fruit is not my favourite effect. I don't like to give my audience a fruit juice wet bill back and I don't like to have big bags of fruit with me to repeat the routine for the next group, but this is my problem. The routine on the DVD is very practical and Mr. Sanderson also discuss some of the problems I mentioned. This routine can be performed from close up (standing sourrounded) up to large stages!
I will also not forget to say that the design and production of the DVD impressed me.
For me is this kind of DVD's not to weight in gold. Here you learn magic that works for the corporate market and not to impress your friends in magic. Now everyone has to decide what are his preferences.
Frank
Hi everyone, after viewing Martin Sanderson's dvd, I'm impressed. His demeanor is well suited for the coperate events/parties. I mean everyone can attempt to do a gig in a coperate environment if one has manners, smell good, up-to-date haircut and invested in a few nice outfits. At any rate, my question is where does one fine the "Omnicard" that Martin uses in his Ambutious Card routine in the USA? Thanks a lot.
I think you're referring to the Omni Deck, which should be available through most dealers. I know Hank Lee carries it.

Brian
IS it a signed B.I.L.?
Yep signed
Thanks a lot, bekralik. I've ordered it from L&L Publishing. They have free shipping. I can't wait to perform this ACR ! :)
If you want the Wallet that Martin uses in the DVD (signed card to sealed envelope in wallet) by Jerry oconnell, then nip over to Tricks and Effects for sale forum. There is one for sale for only £60 ! I bought mine last week for £94 !

Regards Nitram
I agreed that there is nothing original about this dvd. It costs more in the US I believed because it was produced overseas so shipping cost, etc, is added. And then of course Martin Sanderson is in suit and tie, and that conveys cost also. I have to say the production is top-notched in quality. I did buy an omni deck and am trying to save up some funds for Jerry O'Connel's Plus Wallet. Since I don't have a card to wallet wallet, I thought I don't mind invest in one. Other less expensive wallets out there do not have a sealed envelope feature, so I guess Jerry's is the one to get. The ACR that Martin performs is quite good, but you have to wear a jacket plus other goodies. I think most folks have the chop cup so it shouldn't be huge deal. I am not quite sure about the Bill In Kiwi. It's good but the move is a bit bold in a close-up. However, I'm new to the world of magic and everything is magical to me at this time. Happy posting!!
I would like to point out that new member Dan Bivaldi, real name David Goodyer, has been trying to sell copies of this DVD on Ebay. After an initial request to stop doing so, he continued to send abusive emails to the extent that I was reduced to telephoning his father who made him take the discs off.

Three years ago David Goodyer was banned from advertising in the ‘for sale’ section on http://www.magicweek.co.uk because he was selling pirated videos and this is one of the reasons why they will no longer accept adverts for second-hand DVD’s or videos.

I wouldn’t want anyone to get the wrong idea from someone who obviously has an ulterior motive for his post. Response has been extremely positive from purchasers of the DVD and here are just a few of the comments about Corporate Close-Up from magicians that are not “devoted friends” :

“Fast, Visual, High Impact, Commercial Magic for the Corporate Magician. I’m already using Storm Force 7, It’s Great!” Paul Gertner

“I really must congratulate you on doing a terrific job on so many levels! Russ Stevens also deserves applause for his contemporary, professional production style, which really makes the whole thing enjoyable to watch. Truly valuable information, articulately delivered, in a broadcast quality package!” Michael Ammar

You can see a very short clip at http://www.rsvpmagic.com

Russ Stevens
I don´t have this DVD, but I was thinking about buying it - after reading these reviews I won´t. I must say that I´m very happy reading the reviews before I bought the DVD. As I said I haven´t watched the DVD, but I will believe that Mr. Sanderson is an excellent performer. But this won´t help, because to perform his effects I have to invest into a lot of other stuff (for example I don´t have the Omni Deck, Chop Cup, this specific wallet, etc). I think I would have been disappointed.

Magixx
Hmmmm. If I can add to this forum I would just like to say how much I enjoyed this DVD. My preferred style of magic performing is close-up/walkaround. The title of the DVD seemed confusing, maybe a UK to USA translation thing as I felt the DVD was a closer fit to walk-around type magic (i.e. banquets, hospitality rooms etc.) than corporate type magic (tradeshows etc) but found all the material useable. As far as the DVD being 'mis-leading' as to the additional purchases needing to be made. Did everyone miss the fact his ENTIRE PERFORMANCE was done out of his jacket!?! And the fact he GAVE AWAY Storm Force 7, a current dealers item!?! Honestly, in my humble opinion, you could have a successful (read: paid professional) magic act with just this DVD and the additional (GULP!) purchases and NEVER, let me repeat that NEVER need to buy another magic item (sorry magic dealers - I still love you all!). In watching the video Mr Sanderson tells you right in the beginning 'THIS IS WHAT I DO!' and precedes to share with the magic fraternity what he does, why he does it and WHY it will work for you.

This DVD has been one of my better magic purchases easily in the past three years, a lot of the stuff he teaches went immediately into my own act and with GREAT success. If you are upset by the 'additional purchases' needed to utilize this DVD just think back to how much money you have wasted on CRAP and then compare the money lost to the 'additional' purchases needed to have a succesful working act based SOLELY on the material presented on this DVD.

Nuff said....
I've no problem purchasing the props needed as this dvd is a stellar. It will benefit you in a way because of its versatility and application.
I got this DVD in Blackpool and I agree with all the positive comments, this is a great DVD. There are definitely routines in this I will be using. The effects are simple and hard hitting!

Mike
It really is top stuff
like you say, SF7 is on it as a bonus effect
his work with the omni deck is great too
add it too his "the business" dvd and you cant go wrong
plus, he's a very nice bloke!
Martin is a top guy! This DVD and 'The Business' capture how professional, sincere, and likeable he is. Little wonder that he is flying so high in the corporate magic world. The magic on 'Corporate Close-Up' is ultra-strong and totally practical. Great production quality, and also the segments containing pieces of advice are priceless. Bravo!

Cheers,

Chris
I see this is a very old thread,but a few questions. I just purchased the Dvd and am awaiting its delivery. I use some of the effects already in my strolling and close up. I was just curious as to how many people are still using these effects in their repertoire? I'm very excited to see these presentations.