(Close Window)
Topic: Electronic crasher
Just bought this in Blackpool. It's amazing. Allows you to smash a glass like the large stage thingy in a close up setting.
Could you please elaborate a bit more on this effect?

Any more information would be appreciated.( Name, Price, From whom did you buy it, pro's & cons)-Thank you.

Matt
Ok, so its a small electtronic device housed in a card case. The device has a 15 to 45 second timer on it so you can work it around your presentation.
Up to now the effect of breaking a glass required the use of a special table or a device inserted in a tray usually of prominent size electronic crasher produces the same effect, but with a small device that may be hidden in a card case or a packet of cigarettes, a book or in any place you prefer. electronic crasher is an electro-mechanical devise 100% reliable.
Now the price: well, it's not cheap. Cost me 108 pounds at Blackpool 2 days ago but its not on their web site yet [url]http://www.bazardemagia.com[/url] so don't know where you can get it. Is it worth it. In a word, YES, only having it one day I haven't had loads of use out of it yet, but tried it out on my friends and a few others. Wow, the reaction I got it is real magic. I can be at the other side of the room and perform this. I done it straight after Perplexing Pen and I couldn't of dreamed of a better reaction. I think the price of this gem will be retrieved from the first gig you perform it at.
Rvigon,

Thank you for the update. Sounds very interesting.
Didn't think it would be cheap but I'm definitely interested in it now.

Best,
Matt
Does ne 1 else have this
Must the glass be placed [b]ON TOP OF[/b] the gimmicked object (card box, cigarette box, book, whatever)?

Larry
Yes
Martin, the effects sound wonderful! Will you have a US distributor we'll be able to order from, or only directly from you? thanks --Scott
I have secured 3 bookings from smashed now its a winner
Are people suspicious of the glass ON the box? maybe a way around it would be if you performed the rising cards out of the glass, and then perplexing pen. Maybe if you could time the perplexing pen right, the box could be set to smash the glass after the pen has fallen. Now I want one! when are they available, and for how much?
Hello,

Hocus Pocus will have the Electronic Crasher on April 1st. This product is on our website now http://www.hocus-pocus.com with a video demo.

Best Regards
Paul Gross
Owner
Hocus Pocus
Oh yes, this looks cool! The ad states you can put the gizmo inside a card pack, cig pack or book. My question is: Do you have to do any major alterations on whatever you put this thing in such as cutting slits, holes or whatever?
Could you just put the gimmick under the close up mat?
The demo looks amazing by the way.

jimesw
Just watched demo - WANT ONE ! Need to save my pennies. Bit Pricey, but looks worth it ! Kenny
How accurate is the timer? 15-45 seconds. Is that the range it could go or is set via digital read out to be exact?
Is the thickness of the glass a matter ?
I just took a look at the video demo of this effect. All I can say is....
***...why didn't I THINK OF THAT?!!
I think this is a GREAT improvement on an old classic. The portabiltity factor as well as the new conditions it can be performed under.
Clearly, you will need some type of Acrylic Cover for this if spectators are close...maybe one that can fold up?
The set-up of the glasses, with card box sandwiched between, makes sense as well as it elevates the glass and makes an interesting display.
I am putting this on my "to get" list!
Chance Wolf
http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Is there an audible noise of the mechanism when it is activated and crashes against the card card, etc. (other than the noise of the glass shattering, of course)? I would also like to know how wide and long the slit in the card case has to be in order to accomodate the mechanism? Would the slit be noticeable close-up? It does sound like a very promising and practical mechanism to accomplish a classic effect close-up. Although there have been promises made before on electronic , close-up devices that have yet been delivered ie. PSI Sharpie.

Michael
Michael,
I do not think it would be a problem even if the gimmick made as noise. The glass shattering would easily be enough to cover any noise...unless it is a ridiculously loud gimmick which I doubt.
Just my goofy opinion.
Chance
http://www.wolfsmagic.com
[quote]
On 2005-03-09 14:11, Paul Gross wrote:
Hello,

Hocus Pocus will have the Electronic Crasher on April 1st. This product is on our website now http://www.hocus-pocus.com with a video demo.

Best Regards
Paul Gross
Owner

I hate it when you fellows us links like this. Could you link us directly to the effect page? That would be great.
Hocus Pocus

[/quote]
It's on my wish list and I'm saving some duckies for this beauty. Any info on longevity/life of the gizmo? Battery replacements, etc?
Could you just put the gimmick under the close up mat and have it still work?

jimesw
Unless the gimmick has the depth of a playing card I don,t think it would work under a close up mat!..:),,,

Someone might notice that BIG LUMP under the mat!
It would be good if the gimmick could be inserted into the card case with one or more playing cards being able to remain in the case so that one or two cards can be removed to implicitly show that it is just a deck of cards in a card case and then proceed with the effect. All you need to do is to preceed this effect with one or two card effects, do a simple deck switch and off you go.

You are probably right, Chance, that the gimmick should not be THAT noisey. Just watch out for your fingers.

Michael
Dear Magicinsight:
I am the owner of Bazar de Magia. We created the Electronic Crasher. The gimmick comes into a Bicycle card case, but because its measures, it can be placed into a cigarette box too.
It is possible to add 3 or 4 playing cards into the card case too, just under the gimmick, or one or two cigarettes into the cigarette box.
I am sure that customers will find many others ways to use this new gimmick soon. For example, I never thought on the idea of inserting some playing cards into the card case....sounds good!
Dear Marduk:

Thank you for the follow-up comments and clarification. Your effect seems to have a lot of potential. Perhaps the gimmick can even be inserted into a box of tarot cards and then left on the table to do this effect. I look forward in receiving it.

Best regards,

Michael
How about a card to glass effect using a sh** card and a mag*** coin?

Take the sh** card out of the card box, place the glass mouth up on top of the card box, place the card face down on top of the glass, pick up a coin with your right hand, "place" it in your left hand, and tap the back of the card with your left hand to make the coin penetrate through the card into the glass. Now repeat the effect, but this time to make the penetration appear even more difficult to the audience, perform the effect without touching the card. Place the glass back on the card box, place the card face down on top of the glass, pick up the coin with your right hand and "place" it in your left hand, open your left hand as you throw the coin invisibly towards the glass, and the glass will shatter which should cause enough vibration to dislodge the mag*** coin. I'm not sure how reliable the "timing" is with this effect but assume that my idea would work.

Larry D.
Larry D:

That is an interesting approach. However, I would just add that a clear plexiglass box be put over the card box, glass and card before you "throw" the coin otherwise the spectators may just think that you really did throw a oin or some other object at the glass to cause it to break.

Best regards,

Michael

Posted: Mar 17, 2005 12:37pm
I have Mr. Lesley's Wine Bend II effect and I think this gimmick and effect could be a terrific prelude or follow-up to it. Either before or after the wine glass is bent, another wine glass breaks.

Michael
[quote]
On 2005-03-17 12:37, magicinsight wrote:
I have Mr. Lesley's Wine Bend II effect and I think this gimmick and effect could be a terrific prelude or follow-up to it. Either before or after the wine glass is bent, another wine glass breaks.
[/quote]

Multiple effects! Good [b]!DEA[/b], Michael!

You might be interested in my [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=89539&forum=46][b]POST.[/b][/url] (The original post has been edited by Café's staff). In lieu of plastic use a crystal wine glass.

Ring vanishes - Wine Glass is seen - Slowly the glass bends - Ring appears (is seen) on the stem of the glass - Glass is shatters - Ring is retrieved.

This could be a very spooky effect. A complete act in itself!!

:xmas:
Ustaad,

Thank you very much for the link to your posts regarding Mr. Lesley's wine bending efect and the ring on stem efect using a plastic wine glass as opposed to a wine goblet made from real glass. Without getting too much off the topic of this thread, do you feel that the use of a plastic wine goblet distracts from the impact of both effects?

With regard to the current topic, I could not use a plastic wine goblet for the crasher effect for obvious reasons. The goblet/glass would have to be real glass, not plastic.

But I still like your idea.

Michael
Hi Michael,

To create the above effct/s, you cannot use a plastic wine glass. And I have stated this in my above post (2nd Para) - "In lieu of plastic use a crystal wine glass".

I had also discussed the crystal wine glass in my pointer POST but that part was edited, probably due to reasons of exposure.

Hope that clears the misunderstanding!

And thank you Michael, I too like the way you think!

P.S. Use a crystal (glass) wine glass with low lead content - It is easy to bend as well as break.
Dear Mr. Davidson:
Your routine with the magn. coin is fabulous!!
It is a perfect routine for the device. We just have 3 or 4 different good routines, but this one is really great!
I wonder if we can include it with the instructions that comes with the device....
Please, let me know what do you think about.
If you prefer, we can continue through email:
bazar@magia.com.ar
And...if you didnīt watch the video of the electronic crasher yet, go to the following address:
http://www.bazardemagia.com/crasher/crasher.wmv

Magicinsight: I also enjoyed your idea of using the Tarot deck!
Regards!
Ustaad,

Thank you for the clarification. I really like your thoughts as well.

Marduk,

Larry's idea is indeed excellent.

Michael

Posted: Mar 17, 2005 3:10pm
Marduk,

Another possible idea:

a simulated bullet catch routine. Could even use a toy gun or "spit ball" catch similar to Mr. Scott Alexander's on his DVD 10'o'clock Show. The glass is shattered as in the video clip and the "bullet" or billet or spit ball is caught in the teeth of the performer.

Michael
...another idea...begin by using the PK Pen on top of the glass's stem and make it move...ask if folks would like to learn how to do it. Set it up to do again, asking the audience to concentrate with you...SHATTER!!! (glass is even set up perfectly in the upside down position!)

Posted: Mar 17, 2005 3:18pm
...would also think that the time/attention taken to clean up the glass would be a perfect time to switch out the card box and pen...
[quote]
On 2005-03-17 15:10, magicinsight wrote:
Another possible idea:

a simulated bullet catch routine. Could even use a toy gun or "spit ball" catch similar to Mr. Scott Alexander's on his DVD 10'o'clock Show. The glass is shattered as in the video clip and the "bullet" or billet or spit ball is caught in the teeth of the performer.
[/quote]

Another great [b]!DEA[/b] from non other than, Michael!

It seems that the [b]'Electronic Crasher'[/b] will prove to be a very versatile and useful prop, considering the various effects one can achieve. Imagination will be the only restricting factor.

Scott,

I like your idea, too. You could have the whole audience concentrate on the pen (the more the merrier and it invovles the entire audience). You can have some fun with them after the glass breaks and come up with some funny lines.

Michael

[quote]
On 2005-03-17 15:21, ustaad wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]
Imagination will be the only restricting factor.
[/quote]
Well said, Ustaad, and to the point. There are so many possibilities that I hope the mechanism is strong enough to withstand the constant and varied use.

Best regards,

Michael
I would like to point out one thing that I have noticed. It is not a close up effect. Look at the video and you will see the device shooting through the card packet. Anyone who picks up the pack before you manage to get to it will suss this out. If I can clearly see it, so can they. Still a nice effect but with some restrictions.

Regards Nitram
You say you can clearly see it but the vid is slowed down a signifacant amount to let us see in real life it is much quicker
Also, when watching the video, we are paying close attention to the card box sicne we know what will be happening but spectators have no clue what is going to happen and it happens so fast that I really do not think that the spectators will observe the gimmick. Also, if the efect is presented with the appropraite story or plot, the focus will not be on the card case with is and should be an insignificant part of the effect, and not the main focus. In addition, I believe they will be focusing their attention on the glass itself, not the card box. If this is done close-up, make sure that the spectators are a safe distance away from the glass or make certain that the glass is properly covered with some form of plexi-glass covering.

Best regards,

Michael
From the video it would appear that a tag of card box is left sticking up. I am not saying that this is bad, just that the spectator must not be able to examine the box. You could use the excuse about broken glass everywhere to stop them picking it up.
With the right handeling they wont even see the box by this I mean when the story is retold the box becomes lost and forgotten by the spec
The video can be watched at http://www.bazardemagia.com/crasher
The first secuence is on real time and the others are on slow motion, this is the reason you can see the tag on the card box (specially on the close up shot.
The ad will be published this week on Magic magazine.
best regards
Marduk do you have them in stock and how long will it take to ship to the usa
Dear Mr. dreid007:
Yes, we have them in stock now, the price is $ 200 and we can send them to USA and it takes between 10 ans 15 days on arriving there.
You can go to our web site to order it.

Quique Marduk
http://www.bazardemagia.com
Did someone say they wanted this for close-up? Heck, I wouldn't even want to be standing near it when the glass shatters. Interesting idea, but definitely not for people who want to perform this around others.

David.
David,

It would be quite safe if a clear plexi-glass cover is put over the glass that is going to be shattered.

Best regards,

Michael
In stock today 4/4/05 at Hocus Pocus..

http://www.hocus-pocus.com

Best Regards
Paul Gross
Owner
Hocus Pocus
Paul,

Any news for the PSI sharpie ? Thanks
This is truly a great prop and very well made
[quote]
On 2005-03-31 11:20, magicinsight wrote:
David,

It would be quite safe if a clear plexi-glass cover is put over the glass that is going to be shattered.

Best regards,

Michael
[/quote]

For any glass breaking effect, it is must that you use cover to protect your self as well as the spectator. You never know!

Good advice Michael.

Sam
It says on the hocus pocus advert that it was a smash hit at blackpool. Anybody who bought this at blackpool care to give a review on how the reactions to this in real performances play out?

Cheers
James
This is truly a great piece of work
I baught at blackpool as you can tell from my other posts I love this effect
It looks good to me. I wonder how far the glass will fly ?
It could be a nice end of routine item.
Macro Mentalism they call it ?!
Piers.
Do you absolutely need a crystal glass?
No, it breaks almost any glass, you donīt need a crystal glass, but the breaking effect is too much better if the glass is not very thick.

Regards
marduk
Electronic Crasher.

I’ve been pondering this over the last few days.
It looks a nice item, but how to use it in a routine ?
How about …..
After a few Mentalism items, get everyone around the table, but not too near, so standing up.
Ask them all to concentrate on the glass, to make .something’ happen. A real joint effort.
And then , bingo, the glass breaks, every jumps, and probably feels a bit spooky ?
I know I would.
Any comments ?!

Piers.
I have one, and have to say a HUGE NEGATIVE on it's ability to shatter ANY glass. I used a candle's glass holder, and it was TOO thick, all it did was shoot off the table and landed on the floor where it partially broke due to impact, and NOT the device.
Can you really do this trick in close up conditions ? I mean, how far have the spectators to be standing in order to be 100% sure that they won't see anything of the mecanism ?
Can you really do this trick in close up conditions ? I mean, how far have the spectators to be standing in order to be 100% sure that they won't see anything of the mecanism ?
Dear Scott:
First of all, we have to discard the possibility of a defective product, but donīt worry, if the mechanism doesnīt work properly, we will replace it a t no charge.
The crasher has to break almost any glass.
When rehersing the trick, you have to find the appropriate glass, I mean, you have to try different glasses, and you will note that some of them breaks better than the others.
And finally, the position of the glass over the card case is very important too. The hammer has to knock the glass from the inside.
Please, check this two things first, and then let us know what happened.
Marduk
I think it's oine of those items lots of people are interested in, but we need to get it clear in our heads, what it will do and what it won't, and how to use it safely, with 100 % success in a performance.
And ... How long do the batteries actually last ?
I'm tempted though ....... !
Thinking of getting this, but need a little help. What's the motivation for putting a glass on a deck of cards?? Seems it would put a lot of heat on that box. . . thanks for any help.
This is a KILLER trick. Freaks people out! And very well made for sure.

This has been stated before but.............

First put a glass flush on the table and start your patter. Then say it would be easier for all to see if the glass was up higher.

THEN put the DECK between the two glasses giving an excuse to place the deck between the glasses.

NO ONE will question this.

And if possible do a card trick first then switch the deck for the smasher. Giving a reason to have out the deck in the first place.

It's that simple and effective.
My question is I think very important for everyone on this forum but I have the impression that people want to avoid answering it : Can you really do this trick in close up conditions ? I mean, how far have the spectators to be standing in order to be 100% sure that they won't see anything strange on the deck case, like a cut or a gap ?
Dear Olivier:
talking about close up conditions you have two different points of view on the trick.
First: you can see the effect from 40 cm and you will see nothing. The cut on the card case is only a fine line almost invisible, and with the glass on top of it, itīs really invisible!
But, second: because the fragments of glass, it is not easy to perform it in close up conditions. I mean, between the audience.
Some magicians use a transparent plastic bag to cover all and avoid to damage someone with the fragments. Others (like me) prefer a glass or plastic transparent ice cube (or something similar) with the excuse of avoid the idea of anyone shooting a bullet to the glass.
I use the trick on parlor and stage shows.
If you donīt cover the glass, you can be very close beside the glass, because the fragments will be launched to one side only.
Marduk
It sounds like, as long as you manage your audience, and keep them at a distance, and use a thin glass, it should be great. ( Just a bit of a mess afterwards ).

I can certainly accept that putting a glass on a 'card box' would help make it 'more visible' for an audience, and maybe add an element of card mystery ?

Q. Does it come in a card box, or do you supply your own ?
[quote]
On 2005-05-12 14:00, Piers wrote:
"...I can certainly accept that putting a glass on a 'card box' would help make it 'more visible' for an audience...."
[/quote]

Other reasons for placing the glass on an object are included with the instructions as well.

[quote]
On 2005-05-12 14:00, Piers wrote:

"...Does it come in a card box, or do you supply your own?"
[/quote]

It comes in a card box, but you can easily place the gimmick in a different card box if you'd like.
I just received this effect ( thanks Paul :) ) and am VERY pleased with the fabrication as well as performance. I can assure you the mechanism is FAST and invisible to the eye. I do not plan to use it as explained as I have a completely different application for this gimmick and I am sure this will work out perfectly.
Marduk, Nice work and thanks for an excellent gimmick!!
Chance Wolf
Wolf's Magic
This looks very tempting...may have to save up some:) I perform in an open air environment and this could be placed outdoors in the picnic area, possibly on a tarp of sorts (after PK effects).

My question is the power supply. How difficult is it to obtain and replace the batteries?

Thanks in advance!

Candini

Posted: May 24, 2005 2:25am
I've been searching for a transparent type container that won't distract the overall strength of this effect. Having it break in a wide open environment seems the way it was designed but can anyone that has this give some examples of the effect inside of a container?

I was thinking of an oval glass display case. Easy clean up and a very nice clear enclosure. After the effect, show the case has no bullet holes etc (heat on case not card case).

Examples: http://www.treasuresindisplay.com/27fdc.htm

PS: Has anyone used this for any PK effects? If this can break a glass, it surely could propel an object through the air.

Hmmmmmmmmmm Chance Wolf has me thinking about the possibilities here:)

Posted: May 24, 2005 2:27pm
Thinking more about this. How about using a tarp spread out on a table or even the floor to contain the pieces and make for easy cleanup?

Posted: May 25, 2005 1:36am
Ordered!

Posted: May 25, 2005 5:53pm
Thanks all for the wonderful PMs who own this. Love the idea about PK effects.

Use PK pen or sharpie (or even start with the spectator's pen). Show it works on the glass. Then move the glass on to another (safe) location. Start out placing it on the table with no card case. Oh, but I forgot, wood sometimes interfers with this effect, put the card case underneath it. Use THEIR pen on the glass now. In lieu you could start out using another deck under the glass while doing the PK effects close up then do the switch when the glass is moved to the other location.

Why the safe location? Because different pens react differently and just for safety purposes in case the effect gets out of hand...
Several have said using any covering or even cloth to catch the glasses diminishes from the effect.

Can't wait to receive this! Its not your everyday item but surely could be a reputation maker if played right!

Posted: May 25, 2005 5:58pm
Has anyone used a thick glass to just get it to crack instead of shattering? I mean if the glass is examined first and you don't want to spread the pieces everywhere.

Posted: Jun 9, 2005 11:19am
Okay I got this yesterday and have used it to practice a bit before performing.

Overall: 9/10 This is very portable, durable and strong.

Does it do what ad says: 10/10 Breaks all the glasses I've used. The only thing is , try out all types. I tried one that bends at top and it only broke a piece of it.

Negative: The only thing I see so far is usuability and noticeablility. You don't want to use this closeup. Glass will need to be cleaned up afterwards and there is the safety factor. Also, it may just be my card box but the slit can be noticed. My 9 yr old noticed it close up.

Posted: Jun 9, 2005 4:48pm
Ive tried several glasses now after cleaning up the glass from previous ones.

It works better on thinner glasses.

This could be a closer for sure but cumbersome to clean up if you don't keep it contained which I think may detract from the overall performance.

Very well made and looks durable for the long haul.

Only thing is, after the anticipation of waiting for it to arrive, I don't know when I will use it for my close up work.

Daughter wants swimming pool now so if anyone is interested, I will consider an offer.
Ive been researching this effect for some time and I have come to the conclusion that its worth it. I plan on using this effect on stage so it should play well. What kinds of patter are you guys using for this effect?
It is worth it. A nice device - it does what the advertisement says very well. Also, its built like a battleship to withstand the rigors of bouncing around your magic case. Still trying to motivate glass breaking on my deck of cards - any submissions?
James start out by placing a glass on the table. Then you act like you just realized the glass can;t be seen by all in the room.

Then place the deck on that glass with another glass on top so all can SEE whats going on.

The rational is that you are making it easier for all to see the illusion by placing the glass higher up on the table.

The fact you use an extra glass and a deck of cards to accomplish this flys right by them.
I thought this was an interesting post do to the Chris A. wine glass breaking last night. What other glass breaking methods or products are out there?
[quote]
On 2005-07-28 20:00, boboshempy wrote:
I thought this was an interesting post do to the Chris A. wine glass breaking last night. What other glass breaking methods or products are out there?
[/quote]
It looked like he started out with John Kennedy's "Jump" to make the pen jump out of the glass, then did a second phase with a glass smasher. I couldn't tell which method he use for the glass smashing, though.
tdaube
Could it be a really great gimmicked pen?
No.
[quote]
On 2005-05-09 03:37, Scott Xavier wrote:
I have one, and have to say a HUGE NEGATIVE on it's ability to shatter ANY glass. I used a candle's glass holder, and it was TOO thick, all it did was shoot off the table and landed on the floor where it partially broke due to impact, and NOT the device.
[/quote]

Now that's a coool effect.
Larry, So what do you think it is? Something electronic built into the table?

Posted: Jul 29, 2005 9:00am
Larry, I just read your other post! Thanks!
I'd love to use the Electronic Crasher just a bit differently. I find that when I place a plastic drinking cup on top so that the cup is struck on the bottom by the device, the cup launches quite high in the air, making for a very cool PK effect with no glass shards to clean up. I'd like to combine a couple of different PK effects.

The problem with this approach of course is the sound of the cup being struck is quite loud. Does anyone have any ideas to explain this away?
[quote]
On 2005-09-07 12:02, enigmar wrote:
"...The problem with this approach of course is the sound of the cup being struck is quite loud. Does anyone have any ideas to explain this away?"
[/quote]

How proficient are you at anticipating when the mechanism will engage? If you're very good at that, instead of trying to explain the noise simply, cover it, for example by clapping at the right time (in advance you've explained that by clapping you can send out energy waves or come up with some other B.S. reason).
[quote]
On 2005-09-07 12:11, Larry Davidson wrote:
[quote]
On 2005-09-07 12:02, enigmar wrote:
"...The problem with this approach of course is the sound of the cup being struck is quite loud. Does anyone have any ideas to explain this away?"
[/quote]

How proficient are you at anticipating when the mechanism will engage? If you're very good at that, instead of trying to explain the noise simply, cover it, for example by clapping at the right time (in advance you've explained that by clapping you can send out energy waves or come up with some other B.S. reason).
[/quote]

I tried exactly that, but I can't seem to stay in synch with the mechanism every time, though I can come close. But I'd have to get it just right. Also, the action is very loud; the cup acts as an amplifier of sorts. Even if I use a styrofoam cup instead of a plastic cup I prefer (because its clear) the sound is a bit muffled, but still very loud.

If I were to try to mask the sound, it would have to be a very loud, repeating rapping sound of some type.

Thanks for the suggestion though!!
Okay, here's another idea. Instead of masking the sound, how about "making the sound and transferring it" as an energy transfer demonstration. Hold an identical cup in your hand, smack it with an object to create a sound identical to that which will be made when the striking mechanism hits the other cup, making a tossing motion with the cup in your hand as if you're tossing the sound to the other cup, and then the other cup jumps as it makes the sound.

Although I'm offering solutions to the effect you're trying to achieve, at the bottom line I like a breaking glass effect better.

Regards, Larry
[quote]
On 2005-09-08 08:14, Larry Davidson wrote:
Okay, here's another idea. Instead of masking the sound, how about "making the sound and transferring it" as an energy transfer demonstration.[/quote]

Larry,

That's a really cool idea! I could do that.

However, I think you're right, in the long run, I may should stick with the glass breaking. Its such a dramatic effect. I'm going to rethink the routine I was working on. I still want to combine some PK effects, but I'll have to do it a little different.
Presentation Idea:

Performed at a kids show: Have a young girl come up and shatter the glass by screaming.

-OR-

If you're worried about excessive screaming than teach the kids about Harmonics. Have them all hum and try to reach the same tone and pitch. a couple of seconds after they begin you can trigger the device then stand away as you coach them towards the correct tone.
What's the motivation for having the card case under the glass though? I'm very interested in purchasing this.

Huron
Huron its mentioned a few post above, for better visibility to the audience, I use mine all the time. Quality product that delivers everything it says it does.

Jeff
Always loved to watch this effect. But always feared that a piece of glass might jump and hit someone. Is it designed where it makes it Implode or is it a definite explode? I know it sounds stupid but I don't know too much about these things. In a close-up worker..
Little bit confused...

I know the gimmick has to be placed under the glass. BUT does it have to be sandwiched between two glasses? Can it just be placed under one glass and not on top of another one?
Paisa23, it explodes, it doesn't implode.

RSD, it can just be placed under one glass. It does not have to be sandwiched between two glasses.

Larry
I really don't see motivation for putting it upside down either. It would be better if filled with wine or something. The liquid would enhance the effect greatly.

Huron
The reason the glass is upside down is that the rim of the glass is thinner than the base. It probably won't break the base. It may just tip it over.
[quote]
On 2005-12-20 10:37, hUrOn Low~ wrote:
I really don't see motivation for putting it upside down either. It would be better if filled with wine or something. The liquid would enhance the effect greatly.

Huron
[/quote]

Thanks, Huron! Good [b]!DEA[/b] & good thinking!!

Here is what I think a 'Shattering wine Glass' effect should look like.

A wine glass filled with wine (actually colored water) is placed on the table and then the goblet part of the glass shatters. The stem, the base and a part of the goblet should remains intact and in place (i.e. without toppling over).

I have come up with the design of such a prop. Hopefully I should get the prototype all set & ready for my maiden performance in a couple of months.

Huron, thanks (once again!) for a good suggestion.

Best Regards,

I can't tip a friends handling with the crasher, but it is a great little device if you put some effort into the effect.

I recently modified his unit to work from a remote control as it's a long time into the routine before he uses the crasher.

Dave Everett
Paul Harris's vanishing deck gimmick could make it look like you placed an entire deck inside the box. Just to enforce the idea that the box is completley empty.

Joe
No need to over think this, one or two card effects then move on to something else, once the card case is re introduced you should have no heat on the case as you have been using the cards from it. As far as how a shattering glass should look, how many specs have even seen this happen, not a lot so I suggest they probably don't have any preconcieved notions about how it should look when it shatters, they have no idea what is about to happen. Work this in with something else in your routine and it is very magical.

Jeff
The amount of questions for such a simple product amazes me.

The gmmick resides within the card case.

The glass goes on top of the card case.

The glass smashes.

End of story!

However use your imagination a little. If it was ME performing it, I would do something along the lines of a living and dead test, with a box belonging to the dead woman being shown. From within the box I would remove two wine glasses, which were wedding presents to her and her husband.

As the final revelation proves that the spectator picked up on the ded womans name, the glass shatters.

Scary, but hey, these sort of effects aren't MEANT to be funny or impressive!

Gary
[quote]
On 2005-12-20 10:37, hUrOn Low~ wrote:

Huron
[/quote]

Wouldn't the water proofing be a nightmare? The components and the table as well.
Hey,

I typed into the search engine Glass crasher and came across this topic.

Would you be able to perform the glass crasher inside a small book? By that I mean if the device was hidden inside the book lol

Take care,

Luke
Luke, check out the "boulevard 54" video at http://www.elmwoodmagic.com for your idea.