(Close Window)
Topic: An interesting reaction: IT work across cultures
I'm out in ethiopia, africa right now and it's been very interesting to watch how the reaction to magic differs out here. For example, card work often loses all impact to people who are unfamiliar with playing cards (can't remember the symbols, forget basic things like all cards are the same colour back and there's only one of each card). One of the most interesting reactions of all I've seen was when I performed for a young lady yesterday. I carefully built my routine to more and more impossible things, culminating in an IT performance that usually tops everything else I've done in the spectator's eyes. I especially looked forward to this part because I was certain that such a technology-based effect would be new to the area. Ironically however, she had been so amazed by my earlier effects that, somewhat anticlimactically, she simply assumed that I was capable of magical things and thus a mere levitation of various objects was nothing unexpected, as it is among the abilities attributed to local 'magicians,' shamans, etc. My carefully-executed IT work got nothing more than a bemused nod. I think I'm going to have to refigure my routining for audiences out here.

sincerely,
Tiberius Magus
What earlier effects did you use?
I started off with a few coin productions and a little tt work with two handkerchiefs (pulling one 'out of' the examined other, etc. just basic stuff), then a short cups and balls routine with some effects in the cups and some in the hands. While the effects in all of these are quite magical, all the magic is by logical implication only (ie it's not amazing to see me holding a coin, but it is by logical implication because I had a clearly empty hand a moment before, etc.) so I wanted to finish off with some powerful magic that could be witnessed as a sustained event rather than a moment of surprise, which has served me fine as a solid finish before. To the critical western mindset, to see something floating in mid-air eliminates any chance of 'guessing the method' even if you haven't figured out any of the previous effects, and at this point I typically see even the most skeptical laypeople 'give in' to their magical suspicions. In this case, though....

sincerely,
Tiberius Magus