(Close Window)
Topic: New FLIP Dvds Review Requested
I noticed that L& L Publishing has released a a 6 DVD set by Flip consisting of numerous close-up, rope, and parlour magic. The variety of effects seem interesting. I would appreciate comments and reviews by those who have seen Flip perform and by those who have watched these Dvds.

Thank you very much.

Michael
I think its to early to get a review because it just came out, even if someone bought the series it will take some time before they receive it.
His rope dvd is very good if that is any indication.
I was at the shoot and I remember thinking how unbelievably clever Flip's thinking is.
I haven't seen the DVDs but I've seen Flip lecture twice and think he's great. His rope stretching bit fooled the you know what out of me.
This is the 1st time Flip has released his material. I only seen him on television back in 1974 or so. His act was a duplication act. Hats multiply to two and such. He lectured around that time in the USA. I did not get a chance to see him.

His Flip stick is fantastic. I have seen Paul Gertner's routine that is fantastic and Tim Star did some fantastic flip moves at a convention with a Fantasio Candle for me.

Being this has only been released in a picture lecture notes previously. It is great that the whole magic community can finally learn the real secrets of this wonderful sleight of hand magic. Vol. 4 has his Flip stick explaination. The complete set is $185 and $#$95 each vol.

Get the material if you can. That is if you like sleight of hand and sleeving. Many hours of practice is also required.
Based only on the the video demo of Flip's Cut & Restored Rope from Volume 5 on LLPUB website , I am not really convinced of my interest in this series of 6 DVDs .I have to hear more about this one...

And why so many DVDs ????

Too many again from my point of view.

QUANTITY over QUALITY ...that is the question !!!
[quote]
On 2005-03-10 03:24, wmhegbli wrote:
This is the 1st time Flip has released his material. I only seen him on television back in 1974 or so. His act was a duplication act. Hats multiply to two and such. He lectured around that time in the USA. I did not get a chance to see him.

His Flip stick is fantastic. I have seen Paul Gertner's routine that is fantastic and Tim Star did some fantastic flip moves at a convention with a Fantasio Candle for me.

Being this has only been released in a picture lecture notes previously. It is great that the whole magic community can finally learn the real secrets of this wonderful sleight of hand magic. Vol. 4 has his Flip stick explaination. The complete set is $185 and $#$95 each vol.

Get the material if you can. That is if you like sleight of hand and sleeving. Many hours of practice is also required.

[/quote]

This is not the first time Flip has done a video. Back in the 1980's he did a video for Videonics. I believe a year or so ago L&L released those tapes as well. This is the first time Flip has released this much of his material on video tho.
Yes, Flips work has been released earlier as stated, by Hans Zahn/Videonics.

Actually I have a copy of all he released there and everything simply is just great.
Flip is a genius and a great performer.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy anything he does release unseen!
No matter what strange remarks he makes, his handling and magic is tops!
Are there a lot of effects that require sleeving?
Cos I dun usually wear a jacket.
Sleeving?
I don't recall Flip ever did use sleeving!
Wear a jacket once in a while anyhow..it's normally not summer all the year :P
Apart from this you could then use a Topit and do real magic :)
Thank you very much for everyones comments. They were very helpful.

I see that Flip explains his "flip stick" move and demonstrates several effects utitilzing this move in an entire single DVD.

Is this "flip stick" move worthy of an entire DVD? Is this move alone "worth the price of the DVD/DVD set? is this move a practical, real world utility move that is versatil and can be done relatively clos-up or is it strictly a stage utility move?

Thank you again for your comments.

Michael
Flip stick is worth the price of the DVD if you learn and use it. If you are not willing to put in the time and practice and create a routine. Then it is not. As stated earlier, Paul Guertner opens his close-up lecture with a filp stick wand routine. He has never released this routine. He combines patter with actions. It is a entertaining routine.

This is all slight of hand on par with the jumbo Flurious coin routine. Basically the routine is a visual vanish, show both hands empty, then reproduce the item. All with no gimmick or hidden device, nothing but sleight of hand and timing.

I have not seen many routines except Guertner and Star, both can do it impromptu, close-up, like 3 feet away, not one foot as they they will be in the way of you moves. across a table is fine. Angles yes, but the misdirections and your routine will cover most. It is a very fast routine. Maybe only a minute or so.
Do these actually exist yet?
[quote]
On 2005-03-14 16:19, wmhegbli wrote:
Flip stick is worth the price of the DVD if you learn and use it.
[/quote]

Thank you for your commetns and help. You are so correct to say that the value of this DVD, or any other DVD or book or effect, is based upon whether the effect or move is practiced and used. Based upon your detailed comments and professional opinions, which I respect, I will purchase this DVD set, and hopefully I will be able to give the material presented in these DVDs the amount of practice and dedication they deserve.

Best regards,

Michael
Some of my favorite magic DVDs are Dean Dill's 2 DVD set, Tommy Wonder's 3 DVD set, and Bill Malone's 4 DVD set. ALL of these sets are AWESOME and PACKED with EXCELLENT routines!!! Tommy Wonder put together such an incredible set of magical routines on only 3 DVDs! Dean Dill did as well with 2 DVDs which are packed with very usable material (Extreme Dean volumes 1 and 2).

I am curous as to why Flip has sooooooo many DVDs??? Profit or does he have soooo much good material? I thought it was suppose to be the "Best" of Flip. If so, wouldn't it be possible to produce a 2 or 3 volume set? Which of Flip's 6 DVDs is best? How many effects on each DVD are real strong workers?

Thank you,
Rich
Mike Close's his 4 volume DVD set from the "Very Close" workers series is JAM PACKED with good routines. There are soooooo many great routines on Mike's DVDs that it is hard to select which trick to learn first. In fact, it is hard to find a bad trick in the bunch.

If Flip's DVDs contains the same quality as the other DVDs mentioned then that would be fantastic. However, I have a feeling L&L is going for quantity.
Flip is a genius, like Tommy wonders

Simon
Belgium
Flip was a legend when Tommy Wonder and others were still playing with their first magic sets.

Julian Kestrel
Hey, has anyone viewed Flip's DVDs yet? If so, please provide a review.

Thank you,
Rich

P.S.
Tommy Wonder and Paul Harris are AWESOME!!!!
Another vote for Flip.Tommy Wonder credits one of his 'Tamed card' moves as being
a move of Flips.I THINK there both from Holland.
When wondering about quantity over quality with L & L releases - remember that Michael Close's video set was originally 7 volumes. How much filler was in those babies?
I don't think there was any.
Let's reserve judgment until someone can actually give a review. I was also at the shoot and thought Flip was wonderful.

Kaylan
Has ANYBODY actually seen the physical DVDs yet?
My definition of filler is different from yours. I think filler is material that is weak or not commercial, and does not seem to be usable by most. Although I may not use every single Close effect from the videos, I think that most of the effects are very commercial.
:)
Re: the Flip DVDs, I should be getting them pretty soon and I will post after I watch them.

Kaylan
Kaylan, that's a good point. Something that I think is filler, someone like Cody Fisher could perform a miracle with.

Close had a lot of filler on his. Not everything was strong.
Close filler? I don't think so. Filler is garbage material put in just to "fill space" hence filler. Close did not put any routines in the Workers series to bloat them out. Everything was material he actually PERFORMED.

Now me? I don't use one single thing from Workers! But I understand what is filler and what is not filler, I understand what is good material, I just don't use his stuff.

Whether or not you use it does not make it filler. Whether or not you find it strong still does not make it filler.
I would also like to kindly say that NONE of the Close material is filler! All his effects are "real world" tested through many performances and each routine stands on it's own. I own the 7 volume "Very Close" VHS set and consider these as some of my best performance videos. I have learned soooo much from Michael Close's material and it challenged me to unleash my creative spirit, rethink the handling of my own effects, and focus more on solid presentation. I use several of his routines and they get an excellent reaction from spectators. This should probably be the subject within a different post but what effects from Michael Close do you consider as fillers? Yes, some routines are weaker than others but each effect is worked out very well and he provides useful insights into the thoughts behind constructing the routines.

Kind regards,
Rich

P.S.
I am excited to hear about Flip's DVDs. :)
Has anyone viewed these DVDs yet???
Somebody has had to receive these by now!!! L&L states that they are in stock and ready to ship. Curious as to why no comments have been posted as of yet unless they were just released.

Dave
Anybody have any comments on these? Since I have not seen any posts it makes me wonder that something is wrong with these or nobody is buying them.

Dave
I am tempted to buy one of these videos just for curiosity sake but it is really strange to see no review yet.

Rich
I just received the complete set. It will take some time to watch and digest all of the material presented. I suspect that is the reason there are no reviews posted yet.

Michael
Michael,

Usually reviews come out so quickly and this was released eons ago. A few weeks in the magic commnunity is like dog years. Looking forward to your take when you get a chance.

Dave
Yes, I look forward to your review! :)

Thank you,
Rich
I will try to write a review by next week.

Best regards,

Michael
I have purchased all six .. dvds .. they are as good as any I own .. Flips stuff is real world .. non pricey props ( everything under a buck or so it seems ).. awsome instructions on blocking as a lot of the material deals with that , all the effects he shows are all very workable , and fairly easy to comprehend ,instructions are thorough, leaving no stone unturned , I find that with most everything he does it is indeed his and original , and a lot of it is indeed forty plus years in the making , I am pleased with all six DVDs , and enjoy learning everything even though I may only get my head wrapped around , two thirds . there is a ton of very solid impromptue close up that can be done anytime anywhere , HEY TOM CUTTS ... Whats a MOTH Wrangler ;)
Cheers
Keet
I was at the Fl!p shoot and was called upon to ply my talents as a Moth Wrangler. One who heards up moths (who are following the lights) and sends them outdoors. At the height of my wragling days in college I chased a moth around my dorm room in the middle of the night with a spritzer of Dragon's Breath trying to capture an ornery moth that was keeping me awake. Scared the &@%# out of my roomate who was asleep when the first burst of flame was fired. :firedevil:

Just one of many talents. :lol:

Cheers,

Tom
I Just had to know .. in case you didn't know yet you are credited On the DVDS as the moth wrangler ;) ,.. you could have a future in this .. Moth wrangler to the Stars , you must of had a great time .. I met Flip quite a few years ago at a convention ... he was a great fellow to chat with, studio audience on the DVDs really seemed to be having a great time , I would love to get down to L&L for a shoot sometime
cheers
Keet
I think it is fair to conclude that okito25 is the only member on the Café who owns these DVDs.

I don't think L&L will be getting an order from me for this 6 DVD set. I mean, Paul Harris will be releasing 10 DVDs but he has three massive books out.
[quote]
I think it is fair to conclude that okito25 is the only member on the Café who owns these DVDs.
[/quote]

That is a grossly incorrect conclusion.
Tom Cutts,

I know you were at the shoot, but no one else is talking about these DVDs. Either there is no interest in them or they are the best kept secret on the Café.
I had his rope dvd and didn't care for it, so I passed on these new offerings.
[quote]
Either there is no interest in them or they are the best kept secret on the Café.
[/quote]

Hmmmm... which is it? At least you now acknowledge other options. I believe the reason is that if people have bought the set they have been immersed in a broad range of magic. And with six DVDs there is a lot to view. After viewing such an array of magic one must digest it. This isn't a set with just a bunch of card tricks, or a bunch of coin tricks. It is a set with a bunch of tricks using a bunch of different things. It is very creative thinking and application.

For someone to get a good handle on making a detailed review I think they might have to just take on one aspect, like just the card tricks, or just the rope tricks, or...

Cheers,

Tom
There was an extensive review of this DVD series in the March 2005 issue of "Magic" magazine if anyone is interested. Overall, the review was positive regarding Flip's effects.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Rich
I own a set of these fabulous DVD's and found them extremely useful. I was just going to get the Rope DVD as I am a big fan of Fl!ps thinking when it comes to ropes but once I finished viewing that DVD I knew I had to obtainb the complete set.
I don't own many DVD's but this set is well worth having in ones collection
Notes wanted to learn the flipstick moves.
I saw Flip lecture at the International Magic Convention in London and chatted with him and learnt some things from him. Not being interested in rope magic I was not sure how much I would benefit. However, I was extremely interested in his card handling. He has basically invented his own moves using cards and has come up with some very interesting methods based on a core technique of his own devising.

I will certainly try to pick up his card DVD(s).

I have to agree with an earlier poster however - 6 DVDs seems rather alot.
Flips vol 4 dvd flipstick moves /wanted. will trade other dvd / videos. I live in uk.
I've watched Volume 1 and 2 and I'll have to say I wasn't impressed. Some people may think that he's not that entertaining, but everyone has differnet styles, and I tried to look into his material and effects instead of how he entertains me in the video.
but sadly I'll have to say the effects aren't strong.

For example he does a fake transfer, opens his hand and shows the object has vanished. But his other hand is closed and he talks for a while more .

Normally when you vanish an object in your hand, the first thing the spectator will want to see is your other hand.
[quote]On Jun 28, 2006, kadz wrote:
I've watched Volume 1 and 2 and I'll have to say I wasn't impressed. Some people may think that he's not that entertaining, but everyone has differnet styles, and I tried to look into his material and effects instead of how he entertains me in the video.
but sadly I'll have to say the effects aren't strong.

For example he does a fake transfer, opens his hand and shows the object has vanished. But his other hand is closed and he talks for a while more .

Normally when you vanish an object in your hand, the first thing the spectator will want to see is your other hand. [/quote]

Kadz,

Unfortunately, I agree with you regarding Volume 1. I purchased volume 1 to test the waters. I was not motivated to purchase any additional volumes. I was not impressed. I'm not saying he isn't a good magician. I'm sure he is, and I bet he is much better in his native tongue. He even says that some of his humor doesn't translate because it is a play on words. I just wasn't inspired by his routines or his teaching.

KJ
I have re-watched Volume 1 and I have changed my view. After watching it a few more times, I have been inspired to take some of his routines and modify them for my own use. I think I have come up with a few really good coin routines using some of his routine ideas. I have also purchased the entire set through Murphy's special 60% off downloads. I have started to watch some of his other DVDs and I have really made a complete turnaround. I'm really enjoying it and I think there is a lot of really good material on these DVDs.

KJ