(Close Window)
Topic: Houdini Days 2005
Houdini Days 2004 was great. Then Chris had his accident. Will there be a Houdini Days 2005? The "Official" website says "No", but I have heard rumors to the contrary. If itr is on, I must make travel plans and I would urge others to do the same. I have been to a lot of conventions, but this event is unique.

Viano
Tell us more? When and where is it usually held? As I am making plans already for the Cannon's Convention.
Hi Wolflock!

The Houdini Days is held in Appleton, Wisconsin and draws a great number of performers and lecturers. It was cancelled for 2005 because the organizer was in a pretty bad car accident. I just looked at their website and it looks like they are trying to get it going again for 2005. The website address is:

http://houdinidays.com/news.php

Hope that helps!

Allan
Hi Wolflock,

I look forward to meeting you at Cannon's Convention. I have attended both of them so far and enjoyed each on them. Last years was my first time at Houdini Days and I was really impressed with the event. It was my first time in Appleton and I was soon feeling at home. The entire town seemed to be involved in the event. There were many volunteers from the town working to make the convention a success. Much of the entertainment was in tents the city park which was open to all.

Dean Gunnarson’s water cell escape was on the back of a Fire Truck parked on a downtown street. The same Fire Truck was used to shuttle talent in from the airport. The talent list was one of the longest I have ever seen. Performers ranged from Mark Cannon and Dean Gunnarson to Mark and Noni Wilson to Jeff McBride and even Silly Billy. I have left out people like Joshua Jay, Doc Eason, Ice McDonald, Bill Mallone and many others, but you get my point. No matter what corner of magic turns you on, there was something special for you. The theater for the “big” show was one of the finest I have seen. If it happens again, I want to be there. If not, I will only go the Cannon’s and Hank Lee’s Conclave this year.

Viano
Thanks Guys. I am just trying to find out what all will be on at roughly the same time as the Cannon's Convention so that I can try and attend as much as I can into my little bit of time in the US.

Viano - I look forward to meeting you too. There are so many of you guys that I am looking forward to meeting at the convention. See you there.

Regards
Wolflock
Wolfie are you going to houdini days.
IF it is on and is at the same time that I am there, then I may be going. All depends on what my budget permits me to do.
Wolfie from what I hear it is on. plus I might not be to far away.
Excellent. I will come visit you then if you wish Don.
Of course. maybe you can see my act if I'm performing.
I would look forward to that.
I hope so just have to decide now what to do.
Anyone know if they've set a date for this as of yet? Is it still going to be in early September?

-Matt (TK)
Matt if they Keep the Schedule it might be Labor Day Weekend.
Well I tried emailing the guy that's supposed to be running it (since on the site it said to contact him for more information) and the email kept getting bounced back. So then I tried calling him and the person that I got said that he moved. I don't imagine that this fairs well for our hopes of Houdini Days resurrection.

-Matt (TK)
There was a magic meeting in Appleton Thurs. NO ONE at the meeting has heard from Andy. Chris Cochraine (founder of Houdini Days) and Nate (webmaster) have both been trying to contact him for weeks, with no answer.

We all believe that Days will not be going on this year and maybe even next year.

Shawn
What a shame that Houdini days might be lost. a lot of people enjoyed it.
Yes, this is rather disappointing. But gee, I hope that the guy is alright. It's a little odd to just sort of fall off that map like that.

Shawn, if you happen to hear anything else then I hope that you share it with us. Thanks in advance!

-Matt (TK)
Maybe one Disappeared for certain reasons. I cant see why someone would say that they'll do something then back out if he even did do this. the guy might even need some help.
I would love to see this take place again this year. I wonder if there is a way for all of us to pool together and help organize it. I would definitely be willing to do whatever is needed to help keep this even alive. Let me know what you guys think.

Allan
Biggest problem is paperwork, most of which should have been filed well before the first of the year. Plus Appleton Downtown Inc. is not willing to put any manpower or manhours into it this year, meaning everything from advertising to city/state funding is out and everything is out of pocket.

From what I was told Lawerence University (near the Houdini museum) has three stages since outdoors is going to be impossible to get (due to paperwork and shops not making any money off the streets being shut down) but to be able to book "names" this late in the year may be impossible.

Shawn
Sounds like Insurance might also needs to be looked into as well. which that might be a issue to. to bad there is not a big field/farm near by that could be rented out. plus how would one go about booking the performers.
Also, Chris has invested & lost signifigant amounts of money out of pocket the last 2 years. The important thing is for him to heal. Sean, miss seeing you at the magic shop.
Joe
Hey Joe, I did not know you were around here bro, if you guys still meet I can make the June 5th meeting or July 3rd, we all can catch up.

Shawn