(Close Window)
Topic: Clear cups and Balls
I been toying with this idea for a while now

Every one has performed the cups and balls routie , right , well I want to do something just a little different with the effect. clear cups.

This is how I think it should play:

First take out the clear cups and then put the ball under one of the cups.
mix the cups up and ask the spectator to pick the cup that the ball is under.
natualy he will pick the cup that has the ball in it.
Next the magician proceds to pick up the cup. Now keep in mind that the spectator can see the ball thru the cup untill the magician picks the cup up and the ball is completly gone. He then procedes to pick up a different cup and the ball rolls out from under the cup. this is repeated 2 or 3 times.
The finally would of couse have larger balls that appear under the cups or could be different colors.

the thing is I havent figured out how to make the ball disapear from the clear cup yet. I can make it reapear and it looks good in a mirror(i have a gimick for this).

any ideas?
[quote]
On 2005-03-15 16:46, braddini wrote:
Every one has performed the cups and balls routie , right , well I want to do something just a little different with the effect. clear cups.[/quote]

Not to burst your bubble, but Penn and Teller have already done the clear plastic cups and balls.
Jason Latimer has already perfected Clear Cup & Ball routine. He won in FISM 2003.

Hideo Kato
Bummer!
I've seen the penn and teller's but they done just the classic routine.
how does the other guys routine go?
is the vanish of the ball visual?
can you see the ball up to the point of vanish?
You said "Bummer" to me or to Mr.Latimer?

Hideo Kato
Bummer to the fact that someone thought already of this idea,
no disrepect to anyone.
know of a place with a video of latimer's routine?
Jason Latimer's act was in FISM 2003 video, but it would be difficult for you to obtain.
I saw an anouncement that Jason Latimer's Cups & Balls will be released by some dealer. It was several months ago, but I have not found its ad.

Hideo Kato
Ok , thanks for the info, I'll keep my eye out for it also , Im curious to see what the routine looked like.
Anyone know if P&T are currently doing the act in their Vegas show? I've never seen it, but I will be there in a month.
Part of my video collection is FISM 2003 which I transfered from vhs to vcd format.
I saw the Jason Latimer Cups and Ball routine. It's realy a great effect. I have no idea how it's done but love watching this routine.
I have both his stage act and cups and balls on my computer.. msg for it.. What a great routine, everything so visual. Probably the only version of the cups and balls I enjoyed...
I also had heard mention of a marketed version of the "latimer cups" with possible production being done by joe porper. I recall jason saying it was awhile off though, as he is still performing it and he wants to keep it his. Something to that effect.
I spoke to Jason Latimer about this at the Magic Circle Centenary in London. He told me that he would not be marketing the routine for at least the next year or so. He said that as long as it is his signature effect, he isn't going to tip it.

So, don't hold your breath.

There was a manuscript about the clear cups and balls published by Micky Hades about 20 years ago.

Terry Holley also has a clear cups and balls routine.

Check the threads in Ever so Sleightly.
[quote]
On 2005-08-26 15:13, Bill Palmer wrote:

There was a manuscript about the clear cups and balls published by Micky Hades about 20 years ago.

[/quote]

That's the one by Jeff Campbell and Ron Dayton. Crystal cups. You can get it here.

http://www.jokeshop.us/book-list.html
Use a ball gimmicked as per the pull. The fingers mometarily cover the front of the glass as it is lifted allowing the vanish. I'm not sure how this would look, but it would be worth a try.

Teller was very good with the clear cups even with the classic routine. He did it so quickly it was difficult to tell what was happening.
While I was watching Latimer do the clear cups, all I could think of was that it looked more like the shell game than the cups and balls.
Well,

I have also been with Jason when he came to Portugal about one month or so ago.
I have seen his routine about 50 inches from him, right at the front. I have been baffled completely. I have just seen the balls vanish!
Yet, a few moments later I saw the secret to the vanishing of the balls because he made a little mistake. I think that the idea is new. The vanish of the balls is really easy once you know the secret. :)
Is one of those things (like all the magic) in which when you know the amusement disappears.

Obviously I won´t say the secret to anyone because Jason is a very clever person and took years to create such routine. He is very kind and really a showmanhip guy. I wish him all the luck.
I thought everyone knew how latimer did this.is it a big secret>?
The mss. Hades published was "CAmpbell's Crysral Cups, wtitten by Jeff Campbell and myself with my own illustrations. JEffdevised the routine after seeing a crystal chop cup I had devised. Has it been 20 years already!?

KOTAH aka Ron Dayton
There is a nice interview with Jason Latimer in the February 2004 issue of Math Horizons ( published by the good people at maa.org ) in which he talks a little about the work that went into his cups ... Actually, virtually that month's entire issue is magic-related in one way or another.
[quote]
On 2005-03-16 07:39, braddini wrote:
Bummer to the fact that someone thought already of this idea,
no disrepect to anyone.
[/quote]

Hi, I recorded Jason Latimer on the Late Late Show with Craig Fergeson the other night. He did the transparent cups and yellow balls routine. It was really quite awesome. I still watch it with amazement.

http://youtube.com/index?v=YlAvfUKvLCw
Verry nice , wish I would hae thought of the routine :)
It really is incredible the amount of work he has put into this, I was stunned when I spoke t him. He also said he would continue doing it, as it is like Bill said its his signature effect. That makes him stand out from the crowd thus getting him plenty of bookings.
To design the routine he worked out every sinle move he could do with the cups, wrote each one down on a card, and filled an entire shoe box and more with these cards(Thats a lot of cards) He then tossed all the cards on the floor and tried to fit the pieces together, a bit like a jigsaw.
I have tried this method, I is effective, timeconsuming and you have to have real dedication.
Nick
Aside from the mechanical gizmos at work in my Clear Cups and Chicks routine (The Wizards' Journal #8 - on my site) there are some natural aspects to various clear cups that you should investigate if you are planning to switch from opaque cups to clear cups. I found all sorts of interesting things by buying sets of transparent cups from various Dollar Stores. Real glass cups with crystal cut designs have their own way of making a ball invisible, while transparent color plastic cups interact with different colored balls to make some colors more visible and some completely invisible under ceretain conditions. I go into this in the article, but I am always amazed that more magicians don't just buy some clear cups and experiment with the optical properties on their own. We seem to accept that a cup is a cup is a cup and that for some reason, transparent or clear glass cups will present problems, when actually they often present alternate solutions. Enough said.
[quote]
[/quote]
He was on Late Night with Craig Ferguson about 3 month's ago. (I'm guessing it was him...he had clear cups.)
He was very good and if I remember correctly, the finale of the act was all 3 clear cups were completely solid.
You may watch your local listings for a rerun.