(Close Window)
Topic: How much money would you invest in magic?
How much money do you all invest in magic per month. I usually spend 200 monthly. All of my magic is close up, is this about the norm? Thanks!
Icurrently spend about $1.58 A month. Two half dollars, pack of cards. I don't go through as many as I used to anymore.
Um, I'm a little extreme...but I'm still building up my collection. I've budgeted for my magic purchases, so I spend about $100-150 every two weeks (or I set that aside for larger purchases).
About $50 a week for books and plans.
I wish I had something to sell you guys.
I usually budget myself to 50 a week.

And if I see something that's good and requires more money, I jus carry over whats left the previous week and try to save up for it

cheerios
[quote]
On 2005-03-15 19:39, blindbo wrote:
I wish I had something to sell you guys.
[/quote]

I do!!! Hehehe.
Jeff_Mash,
I checked your site, very funny videos!
I typically only allow myself to spend 300 dollars a month. Sometimes more, and on very rare occasions, less. I try not to think too much about it :)

My Best,
Allen
WOW!!!! that's alot!!! do you guys really need to buy that much??
Who said anything about [b][i]needing[/b][/i] to buy it? I admit I'm a junkie and probably own more magic than I'll ever have a use for.
Need? To me I think magic is more of a WANT! :lol:

cheerios
Fullmindpower: You can never have too many books and videos. Those are what I normally spend so much money on. I would say probably only about 100 of the 300 goes to actual tricks every month, and the rest into DVD's and books.

My Best,
Allen
Right now, as a beginner, I have decided to get a couple of books and a couple of decks of cards and learn. Then I will get more.
The thing is, we all too often spend days looking for that ONE trick that's gonna exhalt us into the magickal-god status..but as the elders will tell you, it will never happen...desire is unquenchable...so let us seek to master the ones that we already possess...the ones that we often complain is way too much work to pull off etc...if you master one effect...you are, in fact, a magick master...but the master is forever and always the humblest student...

with that said, ive spent waaay more than my share, falling for those misleading adds...Ive learned to do lots of research first ala the beloved Café...then I might spend a few bucks here and there...I collect all of my silver coins just for magic..then I don't feel as bad!LOL

Baba
The amount you spend on magic is not at all related to how good you get. I am guilty of not actually working on 90% of the magic I already have. I keep telling myself to just work on what I have. It sure is hard to resist buying up the latest cool books/dvds/tricks however.

Brian Cooper
I have been through the cycle of buying lots of stuff which I will never use and now regret buying. I wonder if we beginners need to do that to find out what our individual style is and where we want to go? I can understand the idea of collecting as well. I am avoiding that for the bank balance's sake.

Now that I have access to advice from a number of profesisonal magicians who are generously advising me, I religiously limit myself to what is recommended for very specific purposes. Otherwise the addiction would bankrupt me! Plus the magic club (The Australian Society of Magicians) has a library.

So to answer the question ... I probably spend about $100 (US) per month on actual magic books and DVDs, but think I have most of the base set I need now. Then I spend another $20(US) or so on pretty card decks, props and materials to make props. I have a stack of bicycle decks from a bulk buy, so that will save me for a while.

Lynne
Sometimes I spend 200 dollars, sometimes nothing in the whole month. If I feel I have work to do with the books I allready bought, and if there are new decks left, there is no need to buy anything. And there is so much to read about, to practice and to polish....

just my 2 cents
Heinz
[quote]
On 2005-03-15 22:26, Rik Taylor wrote:
Jeff_Mash,
I checked your site, very funny videos!
[/quote]

Thanks....we like to have fun with magic videos. I may not be that good in my handling, but gosh darnit, we're going to be creative and make people feel entertained!

By the way, if you like funny "non-magic-related" videos, you should check out our humor site. I won't plug it here but you can contact me in private for it if you're interested. Hehehe.
I too am guilty of buying too much magic. I spend about $50-100 a month. And like so many others, I have lots of stuff I have no use for. Of course, I always keep it in my "Magical Junk Drawer" because one day down the road, one of the pieces may fit into my act.

You never know when you will be looking for a particular effect, even several years down the road and say "Hey, I think I have something like that in my drawer"

Hopefully one day I can use some of this stuff, but until then, I guess I'll just have to keep buying!!!
Well, I just stopped by my friendly neighborhood dealer to pick up an invisible deck and dropped $90 bucks. Most of that was on a book I had wanted and a DVD that the owner reccomended.

I know what people are talking about when they speak about buying "too much magic". I was pretty lucky, I got some good advice early and put a stop to that buying every trick nonsense. My magical "junk drawer" is pretty small.

Resist the urge to purchase every trick that amazes you, it's not worth it just to learn the method, which is why a lot of magic gets purchased. You have to accept the fact that you don't know how everything is done and never will. Be able to enjoy a trick without having to OWN the secret and purchase those things that will improve what you already do or can help you to a specific aim. It's been said so many times, and it's true, that you are better served purchasing classic and well reccomended books and other instructional material.

Vandy
All I can say is that that is a lot of money some of you spend, I usually try to fiend a couple of completly different sources talking about the same items and then I may purchase. I have problems with some of the shipping rates so I usually order every couple of months and then order like two or three books, I guess somewher in the range of 40$ a month, maybe a little more or a little less,
I would say I spend about 200 to 300 bucks a month on magic. Mostly Books any more. It really depends.
How much you spend depends on what your goals are. If you want to become a professional caliber performer, you probably need to acquire (spend) less. You are better off learning to perform a few effects very well. After you can perform those effects comfortably in front of an audience, then you can begin the search for the next effect you want to learn. This is a theme Eugene Burger has written about in several publications. Michael Ammar's "success in magic" also discusses it nicely.

If your goals are simply enjoyment and you want to be exposed to as much magic and information as possible then that is a different story (and a different goal). I am not making any judgement on which is right, but I think you have to decide what your personal goal is in order to decide what your mothly investment should be.

K
About £100 to £ 150 per month on books videos and dvds
Most magicians probably spend way too much on magic. I know I do. Even when you have a house full of it, you just buy more. Truth is you won't use 10% of it. A good friend in the Dallas Magic Clubs recently told me something every beginning magician should consider: "You can only do so much magic. Don't try to do it all." So find some area that really interests you, be it coins, cards, manipulation, parlor, stage, close-up, and keep ur spending there. Try to see effects before you buy them, and learn principles. Learning principles will keep you from buying basically the same trick over and over, just presented differently. When you see an effect, don't buy it because it "wow"ed you. Stop and think, Does this trick really fit my style. Would it fit into my performance routine? Then spend accordingly.
But then, of course if ur half bitten by the bug as the rest of us, you will still fill ur garage, attic, and house with magic you will never use. Part of the fun of it. Like loosing in Gambling, Just don't spend more than you can afford.
I recently started keeping a set of accounts for my magical activity, as I thought it would be a good idea to try and earn back some money, whilst gaining experience in the real world.....wow I didn't realise how much I was spending a month! it was a well worth while exercise, although I do have to admit to some costs for advertising/promo material etc.
keep spending guys :)
There is some valuable info here on the Café' if we just look. I didn't see it till this topic came up. When we open up each board at the top is the info we should read first.
Looks like a pearl and it's always on top for a reason.
Go to this link and read on. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=41824&forum=41&53
Those pearls are "sticky buns." This is a Café after all.
Understood. I'm on a diet, trying not to think of food.
Haha thanks for all the insight guys, as always you guys are awesome! Im going to work on perfecting my material I have now before moving on. Thanks again!
Not too much. Maybe £10 a month or less. A pack of cards, some sponges or silks. I try to work on the material I already have and might supplement my knowledge from the occasional book/DVD purchase or browsing through free stuff on the internet.

How much you spend depends on amatuer or pro, stage or close up, collector or worker. One thing is for sure, spending out on effects won't make you a better performer. If you enjoy collecting or retail therapy that's cool, but after purchasing a few classic books and the mimimum of props, a lifetime of discovery awaits using just those.
Working at a magic shop, I have seen it go from one end to the other. When we saw someone that kept coming in buying week after week, we would ask them what are they doing with everything they bought. We didn't want them to get burnt out. But magicians that have been in the biz for a while didn't spend much that is because most had found their main effects and worked on technique and routine versus the prop.

I like collecting and I can spend some money, past two months I spent $3100.
Richc98, I noted that you are into collecting. Would you know of any sites that offer different playing cards? I am just starting out in collecting playing cards and would like to know of any sites that offer all brands of playing cards. Foreign and domestic.

Thanks edh
I would also like to know where we can order different playing cards. I recently managed to get my hands on 2 pairs of 1984 Olympic Bikes that are still sealed and in mint condition!! imagine that! 20 years pass and still superb condition!

I am willing to trade or sell them so I can get other playing cards

cheerios
In my situation the cards being offered for sale do not neccessarily need to be high value cards. As a matter of fact to start with I will probably just buy playing cards that are still being used but have interesting artwork on the backs. I have seen some cards that have beautiful artwork on the backs.
I spend what I earn from performing.
I am an amateur that performs about once a week.
So I spend about $500 a month.
Actually, probably a lot less, my wife usually takes half.
WOW! How do you keep her to only taking half? Now that is a trick I'd like to learn ! ;)
In the past 40 years, I have bought enough stuff to pay for several cars and a house.
Every once in a while my wife will say something like,"Don't you want to sell some of that stuff?"
To which I reply,'Are you crazy? I might need that some day." :)
Well..i am reeally begginer and I was buying a lot in the beggining..its just 2 months I started magic but I have stopped all of those..u just need one good book and lots of practice..i think we all make mistakes..when we master the basics we become the masters..u can create and understand easyly how the other person is doing the tricks..
My advice is buy one book for $50 then copy it and sell the original for 50 bucks then with that $50 buy another book or tape etc.
I've noticed some of you spend $200 a month .... my wife would have me sleep in the doghouse if I spent that much consistently. DVD's and books usually go for the $30 to $40 range .... and these should last more than a month. Jeff McBrides videos will last a lifetime! In another column, someone complained about the price of buying cards in bulk!!! At roughly $2 a pack in bulk, playing cards provide excellent magic for little cost. This is the "new to magic" forum, isn't it?
Babakali's words of wisdom.
"The thing is, we all too often spend days looking for that ONE trick that's gonna exhalt us into the magickal-god status..but as the elders will tell you, it will never happen...desire is unquenchable..."

How true.

Years back I'd spent maybe an average of $300 dollars a month. Most on books, some on tricks and some on stuff I never used.

Now I'm on a strict budget. In the past six months I spent maybe $200 of Christmas cash, a birthday gift certificate and a bit of money earned from web design.

I'm trying to be selective but sometimes the desire to buy wins out.
I've been going over the stuff that I own and realize that I never really worked hard enough with what I have and what I've learned over the years.
Stephen Bargatze told me recently ' only spend money on magic that you have made performing magic..". This is, without a doubt, the best advice I can share with any of you.

If you will follow this advice, it may motivate you, and push you, to start performing or perform more often. Live by this rule - and you may be surprised where you find yourself a year from now...
Hmmm- weekly 'eh 75ish dollar rues.

Matt
200$ each month????

When do you perform all these tricks???

Magixx
Way too much...

One thing I always now do - Always search out the trick/prop/DVD on the Magic Café' this saves making costly mistakes... and WAIT a few weeks for the REVIEWS and the HYPE to die down...
I really need to buy since I'm a dealer. I have no option.
Years ago I spent a lot for gimmicks and gaffs which sadly were destroyed (except for my Johnson coins from the '70s) during Florida's banner hurricane season last year. I've replaced a lot of my books though, so I've spent some money...now it's just cards and books. I'm in it as a hobby and not for profit, although I'm seriously contemplating it as a side job with today's economy and all. I would invest as much as I can afford for anything as rewarding as this. One thing I have learned though, nothing is forever... except for learning and the quest for knowledge...which is hard to put a price on! Amen, I thank God I'm alive.
I would probably only spend about $30-$50 a month on average.
@ magiccigam

I hope you are joking....

Magixx
I stopped spending money!!!! There was one day when I counted every effect and effect in every book and realized that I had more than enough effects to entertain myself for the rest of my life...

Spend what works right for you.

Buy effects that look right for you - don't buy something just because the other kids have it.
I've thought about this many time. People always say, think and decide what you want to be, then decide on what you want to buy.

I always wonder, how do I really know what I want to be or do until I do it??

Its pretty much a catch-22 for me.

So I guess its pretty much a refining cycle..... I tend to spend alot, then spend lesser as I go through what I do have and what I do know..... Ah... but does anyone have this problem?? Once you get better and decide on what you do want. Instead of spending money on more props, you start spending money on BETTER props!
I spend about $15 on magic each month, occationally buying a book. This is the cost of three decks of cards in Sweden.
I counted the effects recently that I have - single effects or effects in books. I have more than 4.000 (for example in Apocalypse, Magic Menu, Compleat Invocation 3, AoA, etc)!!!

I guess I will never learn all of them......

Magixx
Nice thing about it is now no matter what, I have a good out.
My wife says what happened to the hunred bucks you had.
I tell her that I spent it on a hooker.
She says,"Baloney! You've been buying magic again." :)
I don't think it really matters how much a guy (OR LADY) spends on their magic. If I ever win the lottery I will own every book, dvd and trick ever devised and will spend the rest of my life learning them in my huge house.
If it makes you happy then the money can always be justified.
When I first started out, I bought DVDs, books, magazines, attended every lecture
I could find. That ran me on average to 200 month. Now that I am pretty much
settled in the art I subdude my want to buy more magic. So at this point I spend
about 50 dollars a month. I know a product will bite me in one these months, which can easilly jump this up..but on average I think it comes out to about 50.
This includes:
[list]
[*] IBM dues.
[*] lectures.
[*] potential purchages of lecture notes and/or DVDs.
[*] a potential convention.
[*] magazine(s). (depending on content)
[/list]

There have been times that I have bought some magic that I am not happy with...no
thanks to certain dealers and my own stupidity. Now, I pretty much think twice
before I buy as mentioned above.
I think there are a lot of misplaced priorities in this thread.

Counting cards (somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 decks a year), about $55 a year. Have you guys considered that you might be working towards the wrong goal? How much should you spend on magic? You should spend about $12 plus prop maintenance. Total. Ever. Completely. Get yourself a copy of Mark Wilson's CCIM. If you absolutely, positively, have to spend more money, get the Tarbel series. You don't need to ever ever ever spend another dime after that. I have spent a tiny bit more than that in the 20 odd years I have been a magician. Most of it was a waste, and the rest of it could easily have been.
Wow Drew, I'll be the magic dealers [i]love[/i] you! ;)

Some of us enjoy magic as a hobby and don't mind spending money even if it's just to adorn our magic shelves. I don't care if I make any money at all on magic, I still enjoy buying new toys now and then.
Since I have renewed my interest in magic I've spent about $500.00 US in the last 4 months. I do look to slow down pretty quick. Most of that was on Books and DVD's. I look to by a few props that my books and DVD's require. It won't be as much.

I figure I can do at least $100.00 since my wife smokes, and I don't. If she can "burn" over $100 a month on a habit, then so can I on a semi-hobby. But I will have something to show for it afterwards other than cancer.

Doulos
I buy books, books, and more books. Something about books- magic related of course that excites me. Maybe it's just knowing that someone put together a great collection of effects and thoughts- and it's at my disposal. At any moment I could pick up Harry Loraynes, 'Apocalypse' volumes and find whatever I need to. Or pick up Aaron Fishers, 'Paper Engine' and answer the questions I had about a particular sleight. That I can get information whenever I need it! That I could create and expand on what was printed.

So, nowadays I just buy printed material. Volumes of them at my home. Even when I'm overseas here- I still put in orders for books every week. Literally. They are just piling up. Now- some may say, 'Are you ever going to read them?' YES- I am an avid reader. I just enjoy collecting them too.

How much do I spend on them though? A pretty penny usually....

Read books- expand on the basic, 'coin through the hand' trick found in Tarbell- and make it unique!

best regards,
Matt Tomasko
[quote]
On 2006-07-03 01:19, Dave VanVranken wrote:
Wow Drew, I'll be the magic dealers [i]love[/i] you! ;)

Some of us enjoy magic as a hobby and don't mind spending money even if it's just to adorn our magic shelves. I don't care if I make any money at all on magic, I still enjoy buying new toys now and then.
[/quote]

A) I'm not here to be loved by magic dealers.

B) I'm not addressing desire. If he wants to do something, he hardly needs a concensus to tell him what he wants. I'm telling him what he "needs". If someone feels inclined to break the bank buying magic knick knacks, that is certainly something they are free to do. I assume we are big boys and girls. If someones goal is to be a magician, my list is complete. Mark Wilson's CCIM, and Tarbel.
I am a hobbyist and have spent >A$ 2000.00 over the last couple of years. On a monthly figure, not too much I guess. I went through the gimmick phase, and am now keen to work on cards only until I can comfortably, and correctly, perform a 30/40 minute routine with cards. I have enough other props to then move on. Some of the money has been on 'one-trick-wonders' (Tenyo); but these have mostly been for my kids. We 'do' magic together and it is fun.
I have some good book resources: Giobbi vol 1-4, Bannon Smoke and Mirrors, 'The Magic of Ascanio'. So I am generally happy with the money I have spent. I have recently moved to DVDs, less 'tricks per dollar' but I get to see some performance.
My next few dollars should be on more cards (approx eight dollars a pack here); though I am keen to get Darwin Oritz's 'Strong Magic', and judging by many posts in the Café - Mark Wilson's CCIM.
I may break my rules an buy a chop cup? A 'local' store has an interesting looking pool ball and cue for sale.

I tend to 'study' in isolation, so perhaps my future 'magic funds' should be accessing a group of like-minded people.
I spent $3,000 on magic in one month. I cannot believe it.

///ark
I enjoy collecting books - and have quite an extensive collection. Over the last few years I've certainly spent less. Its the only hobby I have (this thought helps me justify to the wife!) and I work hard - so I don't really think about the cost.
I am very lucky able to spend somewhere around $5000 or $6000 a year on magic and mostly on books, lecture notes and other manuscripts, some DVDs, lots of utility stuff, a small amount of collectable things, but not a whole lot on tricks; maybe a grand or so. After buying magic for the last 24 yrs. I realized long ago that tricks come and some stay and some quietly go away, but it’s funny how books written years and sometimes decades and even centuries ago are still ordered by shop owners year after year. There's a good reason for that; tried, tested, and proven. Buy the classics, recent and older; they will almost always be of more value in the end than most tricks.
I love to buy magic books...
So do I!!! When holding a big tome I feel like a grand old wizard paging through my book of "spells"! :)
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Jun 3, 2007 08:05PM)
Too much, I am afraid.
Woooow, and I thought I spent a lot in magic, LOL, I think with 200 dlls a month in magic you coul make a very vast and cool repertory, I personally invest like 300 dlls, every four to six months and then practice those till I get those right then I spend some more
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Jun 4, 2007 02:34AM)
Adam,

you are very lucky indeed . . . Your library must be rock solid . . .

Andy
I only buy teaching books at the moment. I was interested in the 1902 Erdnase book on EBay, but obviously didn't appreciate its value (it sold for just over $200.00).
Would be a good book for the collection I guess!

Does anyone here buy the old and collectible books? I guess this would send the monthly budget up a fair bit.
When I was younger I brought loads of gaffed decks and self working tricks. Then I left magic alone for 20 years. When I got back in to it I started to re buy bits and bobs but then I met 2 magicians at work and learnt of them, also borrowing and trying out stuff from them helped.
I now just value a few effects done well rather than load of effects. I also try and use stuff that I can find laying about in a any were any time style.
Message: Posted by: Johnny Butterfield (Jun 4, 2007 07:54AM)
I got back into magic to help quit smoking. I needed something to keep my hands busy, as they were just itching for something to fill the cigarette void. So as a reward for not smoking, I save up the money I would have blown on smokes and take it to the local magic shops. That makes my magic budget is $9.25 per day.
I'll pipe in an say maybe $250 per YEAR (carefully chosen). It's hard for me to justify spending more money on more stuff when I haven't mastered what I have.
Too much!! I used to buy all kinds of tricks and gimmicks, then I started buying books which I think give the best value for my money. I keep trying to cut back on my spending on magic but can't help myself. When I go shopping with my wife, I find myself looking for items I could use in a magic effect (cards, small balls, shot glass, rope, etc.) I don't really think a lot about the amount I spend on magic as long as we have some left over for food, gas, etc. (ha ha)
[quote]
On 2007-06-04 05:39, Joker63 wrote:
I only buy teaching books at the moment. I was interested in the 1902 Erdnase book on EBay, but obviously didn't appreciate its value (it sold for just over $200.00).
Would be a good book for the collection I guess!

[/quote]

Are you aware that the 1902 edition of Expert goes for between $1000-3000 USD depending on condition?

That's a profit of $800 right there.
For me it depends.. Ill go for a month with out buying anything. The next month Ill spend a Grand. It just depends on if what Im looking for is available.
[/quote]

Are you aware that the 1902 edition of Expert goes for between $1000-3000 USD depending on condition?

That's a profit of $800 right there.
[/quote]

Wow, I didn't know that. To be honest though I would rather have the book for the books sake - ie. nice to have such a rare magic book - than for the potential profit. Would have been nice to pick it up though.

cheers
I'm pretty much a beginner, been learning card stuff for about the last 3 or 4 months. I bought card college 1 and 2 and have just been trying to work my way through them. Gimmicks interest me but my main goal is actually to become extremely competent (i won't use the word "master") at the sleight of hand required to do impromptu tricks with any old deck, so all I really spend my dosh on is four packs of cards a month. That sets me back around 30 bucks Australian a month. Bicycle decks are a bit pricey here in Oz.
The coolest library I ever got to visit was the one in the basement of The Magic Castle. They have the most vast collection of magic books I have ever seen. I only got to spend 4 hours of an afternoon perusing books...it wasn't enough time but I enjoyed every second!

Sounds like there are a few private collections that might put it to shame though.
I like the fact that there's a lot of things in magic that just can't be purchased. A five dollar gimmick done without skill might be just a stupid uncle trick, whereas the same five dollar gimmick combined with some polished sleight of hand can create a moment of mystery. A pack of cards costs very little, but to make someone really care about what happens to those cards is priceless.
I haven't spent more than $2 in the last six months. What I have spent money on is advertising, new performance clothes, etc. The stuff that takes care of the business end. I spent more money than I should have in a life time on magic up until six months ago. Then I realized that I perform no more than five-six routines/effects a night with no trouble. Why do I need to buy new stuff? Of course I know that eventually I will crack and buy something, because like most magicians when I see something that "wows" me, I like to know how its done. I'm a naturally curious person, and in our line of work I feel that it's somewhat natural to want to know how something is done if for nothing else than mere curiosity.
I'm a hobbyist and I've spent a few thousand dollars over the years to develop the 12 routines I perform (consisting of 4-9 effects each) and the dozen one-off impromptu/encore effects I do. Nowadays I probably spend less than a couple hundred dollars a year on new things. I never like to have any more than 100 effects in my active repertoire or my performance quality suffers. Staying proficient in 100 effects is like a part-time job though, so 100 is probably too many anyway :lol:
I have wasted more money than I care to think about on poor or substandard effects. I did this a lot when I was starting out and I could not tell the difference between a killer effect and a peice of trash, but I've done it recently as well. I bought The Bat and was in love with it (or was it just infatuation) for a few weeks. It has spent the best part of the last year sitting in a drawer untouched.

My best investments have been Tarbel, Mark Wilson, Apocalypse books, Hugard, Erdnase, Bobo, (of Course)and Fulves. On DVD, my two favourites are 'Anytime Anywhere' and 'The Art of Sleight of Hand' by Jay Sankey and 'Trickery' by David Forrest (David is a genius for those who do not know him)

I would not like to say how much I have spent in total, but if I had only bought the books, it would have been enough.
[quote]
On 2005-03-15 23:03, BerkleyJL wrote:
Who said anything about [b][i]needing[/b][/i] to buy it? I admit I'm a junkie and probably own more magic than I'll ever have a use for.
[/quote]

"[b][i]I NEED A STAGE NAME[/i][/b]

How about: Hi, I'm Joe from Berkley!, not California, From (insert Dad's name here)!

hey now...
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Jun 19, 2007 08:53PM)
[quote]
On 2007-06-18 15:18, tony2514 wrote:
I have wasted more money than I care to think about on poor or substandard effects. I did this a lot when I was starting out and I could not tell the difference between a killer effect and a peice of trash, but I've done it recently as well. I bought The Bat and was in love with it (or was it just infatuation) for a few weeks. It has spent the best part of the last year sitting in a drawer untouched.

My best investments have been Tarbel, Mark Wilson, Apocalypse books, Hugard, Erdnase, Bobo, (of Course)and Fulves. On DVD, my two favourites are 'Anytime Anywhere' and 'The Art of Sleight of Hand' by Jay Sankey and 'Trickery' by David Forrest (David is a genius for those who do not know him)

I would not like to say how much I have spent in total, but if I had only bought the books, it would have been enough.
[/quote]

Tony,

you are right on spot. All the good investments I made were books - apart from a great set of C&Bs.

Andy
Hello Gang,
Just thought that I would drop in and give my 2cents worth on How much money would you invest in magic.

If I were a doctor or lawyer I would have to spend a huge amount of money to educate myself... I would have to ask myself how much is too much, to educate and properly equip myself so that I might be all that I could be. Of course, take into consideration the type of venue your after these amounts vary. I guess the bottom line for me (since magic is my chosen vocation) I know many magicians who spend exuberant ammounts of cash to get where they are today... I mean do you think Copperfield, Burton, or any number of Magicians are successfull because they bought 2 or three hundred dollars worth of magic and thought they had a complete evening show. No, they invested in their own knowledge (Books, Tapes, DVDS and etc) and built upon what they already have and know.

I realize that we are not all on national tv and have to live in the real world and money is tough to come by. Just my humble oppinion.
I support David Mann's thoughts here.

The results or reward we would like to get from magic is proportionate to what we put into it. The more (time, effort, money) we invest in it the more we get out of it.

Of course we are not talking about simply buying all kinds of things. Proper planning is needed here. Develop a blueprint on what you want to achieve in magic. Work out the necessary steps and move on step by step. There are many nice people in this forum here. An email or PM to them can makea difference to your goal.
[quote]
On 2007-06-02 14:08, Mark Wilden wrote:
I spent $3,000 on magic in one month. I cannot believe it.

///ark
[/quote]

I might be able to take some of that off your hands, Mark... Let me know when some of that stuff begins to gather dust in a drawer!

Cheers!
G
I'm only 14, and I don't have a steady source of income so I only spend like Ten dollar a month on a case of cards, and I spend most of my birthday on magic.
[quote]
On 2007-06-04 08:54, Fman111 wrote:
I got back into magic to help quit smoking. I needed something to keep my hands busy, as they were just itching for something to fill the cigarette void. So as a reward for not smoking, I save up the money I would have blown on smokes and take it to the local magic shops. That makes my magic budget is $9.25 per day.
[/quote]

Man! Smokes must be expensive there... and I thought $4 a pack was too much. Haha!

I did the same thing as you're doing, although it wasn't "back into magic" so much as "into magic for the first time" for me. I used card flourishes to keep my hands busy and it worked really well.

As for what I spend on magic, I keep it to what I earn with magic. I do a Saturday morning show for tips at the local farmer's market. The money I get goes into videos and books and the occasional gaff. I'm looking to go pro in a few years, so right now I'm focussed on building a strong foundation. This means more books than gaffs to me.
Actually, a lot of that three grand was big-ticket items like a camcorder and collectible books. I still can't believe it, though.

///ark
I'm seriously considering a camcorder so I can see how I seem while performing. Vanity or a drive toward exellence... you be the judge! :)
Froste, I think you'll find that viewing a video of your performance will be an eye-opening experience.

For example, I found that I had a tendency to make an irritating "tsk" sound. In a rope trick, I saw that I was fidgeting with the rope too much.

I don't perform a trick - period - unless I've made a video that I'm happy with first.

///ark
I bought things I not only didn't need, but would never really make use of when I was 20 or so. OFten to find out how they worked. THankfully magic was more reasonably priced then than now. THese days I rarely buy, but rely on books I learned were a better long term deal. THe newest effect isn't always new at all; only a variation or rip-off of something which preceded it. Only so many principles are used in all effects. Like letters of the alphabet or notes in music.
Of course, you really don't need vast library's of magic books either, since everything's in Tarbell. ;)

I think I spend about $200 bucks every 4 months.
I finally decided not to buy any more "trick" books until I'd actually finished RRTCM. I'm getting there!

I still can't resist buying books like [i]Shattering Illusions[/i] when I haven't finished [i]Strong Magic[/i] and there's [i]Our Magic[/i], [i]"Outs", Precautions and Challenges[/i], [i]The Ostrich Factor[/i], and [i]The Books of Wonder[/i] ahead of it in the queue.

///ark
The more I learn the less I spend
I'm rather picky in choosing magic videos or books, I have to make sure that I will learn something from it. It will be wise to do research before you buy it. I spent about $ 50 average per month for magic. I try not to buy any materials that I already know.
The powers that be, namely, She That Must Be Obeyed, gives an allowance of £3O.OO per month!
Message: Posted by: Justin Impossible (Jul 18, 2007 06:04PM)
Money....Magicians do not need money for magic. I am a liar, cheat, and a thief. But it's ok it's my job! Money?
Peace
J
Go to a friend who is good and get him to teach you for free=D
I'm in the same boat as you Lester.
Money is meant to be spent. There is no fun in saving money. Hey, I am even buying collectable Money, because I enjoying spending, it makes me happy. The waiting for "IT" to arrive in the mail is what drives me nuts. If it is taking too long I start to go crazy and want to call to find out where "IT" is.

I am only working part-time and live from paycheck to paycheck, and I am stupid to be spending money on the things that I do. There is a new trick out on the market, and I am going to buy it at the end of the month. STUPID, STUPID, AND STUPID! If it makes me happy then I am going to BUY IT Hee Haa!

One smart thing that I do is to come here to The Magic Café Forum to check up on a product first, then decide if it is worth buying. Many things I have rejected, but that one thing I am buying at the end of this month sounds good. I AM NOT GONNA TELL YA WHAT IT IS! The Magic Café Forum has saved me lots of $$$$$$$.

Life goes on!
Hey you want to see a trick?
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Jul 24, 2007 07:06PM)
Money, money, money . . must be funny
in a rich man's world
I spend my money not so much on magic but on acting and singing classes. A good, strong voice and polished performance skills go a long way in magic.
I spend about $50 on magic a month, and it would be more, if I wasn't working in a magic shop, lol. I get a discount, so luckily, I've been able to keeps my costs fairly low.
When buying a $80.00 to $100.00 gaff coin be sure to pick up a 20 dollar book so the bag looks and feels like a reasonable purchase! :)
[quote]
On 2007-08-13 17:00, MickeyPainless wrote:
When buying a $80.00 to $100.00 gaff coin be sure to pick up a 20 dollar book so the bag looks and feels like a reasonable purchase! :)
[/quote]

LOL!, I totally agree with you
About $500-$1000 a year, sometimes two years. Having been involved in the art for almost 30 years, I have spent enough. However in the old days I went years with only a deck of cards a few good books. However I do not buy overpriced single effects too often, I buy classic books and DVD sets ranging in the $200-$400 area, as opposed to a cart full of effects I will not use.
I think I spend about 30-50 dollars a month on magic.
As far as money invested, I don't know. However, I have invested my life into magic. :devilish:
OK,

Don't laugh, I am a beginner and didn't even know about this forum before I had spent about $6000 on gimmicks, gaffs, books and DVDs. I quickly (expensive lesson)found out that most of the gimmicks and gaffed cards were not for me.

My best purchases have to be Remote Vision Cube and Die, they have impressed everyone I perform for. I have to say that Mark Wilson's book was great, as wellas, Magic for dummies. I am now concentrating on non gimmicked and non gaffed magic.

My biggest problem is that I am addicted to buying more, I do practice about 2 - 3 hours a day but the sheer volume of magic that I have purchased is overwhelming.

I have somewhat slowed down and now I do quite a bit of research before I buy anything else. Thanks to the Magic Café, I have saved some money

Thanks for all your advice

The CiscoKid
The beginner buys because he likes it
The novice buys because, once he's begun, if he quits he looks dumb
The semipro buys because he's planing to quit his job and go pro
The pro looks at effects as a purchase and how it fits in a show
The collector usually is sucsessfull in other areas and does not have time to perform
other people refuse to spend money because they believe skill is the answer

Me.. I've done it all. The people who make the most of what they buy do so to fill a need. The people who waste their money do so because they must know how something works. The people who make money use their props as tools

I spend thousands a month on magic but for different reasons, I'm buying raw materials and magically turning them into something.

It's NOT what something costs - it's what it does for you.
I think, as a beginner, everyone tends to spend a TON of money. As people become more familiar with magic, they are able to weed out the less desirable effects. This was certainly the case for me. My first magic purchase was in the $200/month range, but it's leveled down quite a bit now. Recently, I've realized the potential of books and have funneled my financial resources into those. As a sidenote, it probably wasn't smart of me to spend so much money in the beginning, as I'm still in high school and can barely afford it with 2 years of collected allowance. :)
I really wish I can spend hunrdreds of dollars but I really don't....i like purchasing dvd's and books rather than tricks....i buy tricks from small retailers tho, I feel they have to really come up with good tricks, gimmicks and effects more then larger co.....if your looking for good long lasting tricks that the gimmick does all the work for you,,,go to gmrcreations.com and click on bob solari magic...i have never complained about his tricks...all are awesome,,,check out "quarter warp" 12.95, cunning card case "19.95" and several others.....its great affordable and reliable magic...hope it helped...
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Aug 22, 2007 08:59PM)
I can only repeat it over and over again - if you spend money, spend it on books
I don't remember how much I have spent on magic ...the better half remembers it only too well and keeps reminding me and adding the fact that 'there have been no returns on investment as yet'....and as usual I keep forgetting.
Considering that the Indian currency is immensely weaker(45 times) compared to the US dollar and most of the goodies are available only in US $,most magi in India have to literally scrimp and scrounge to save money.
I depend on my better off doctor friends charity ...they bring in the DVDs and props when the visit India from the US.
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Aug 23, 2007 12:24AM)
Interesting insight, in the same time, there are a lot of Indian produced magic props in the US.
Im a bit of a nut case, I will usually spend at least $150 a fortnight, up to about $300 or so.

Probably close to $400-500 a month
My monthly cost has skyrocketed since I first posted on this thread...

Now with my ropes (Lowes Hardware 100' for around 10 bucks) I might be $21-$31 a month. I might have to start buying the 3/8"Cotton clothesline stuff (At $4 per 100' it's more reasonable)

I am really hoping to be getting 2 of Frank Starsini's Poachers Pouch's, so the next 2 months it will be going up around $150 a month, then back down. Although, Billiard ball manipulation is getting me interested (For busking purposes) so with the trip to Michael's Fabrics I might have to add [b]another[/b] $10 this month.
Hi,

I always spend 350$ for a mounth. I always buy new thingsand Dvds. But that's not the only thing I buy.:)

magicially yours,

Nedim Guzel
Well in the beginning most of magician spent a lot of money buying stuff, but I think we will spent less and less as we becoming more expert right?
Main investment has been in dvds. I think I'm at about 70 or so after 5 years.
Some full price, some off ebay, some traded.

Don't use a lot of consumables in my shows.

Bob
Well I would spend a lot more but there isn't many places for me to buy magic the really good store I use I have to go to another city for so that stops me from spending a lot of money.

also because here in the uk we have to pay more for out items and I am only just a student so everything is against me at the moment
I think I spend way too much of my money on magic, because I buy things on impulses. Always think before you buy, no matter how excited you are to learn and perform a certain trick. Write up a mission statement like, "I wanna learn all the basic sleights with cards, coins, and sponge balls before I spend money on anything else," or something like that. You need focus to be a good magician, and to be a wise buyer.
[quote]
On 2005-03-16 00:57, Gede Nibo wrote:
The thing is, we all too often spend days looking for that ONE trick that's gonna exhalt us into the magickal-god status..but as the elders will tell you, it will never happen...desire is unquenchable...so let us seek to master the ones that we already possess...the ones that we often complain is way too much work to pull off etc...if you master one effect...you are, in fact, a magick master...but the master is forever and always the humblest student...

Baba

[/quote]

Nothing could be more true. It's like the heroin addict who keeps chasing the dragon. Indeed, the desire cannot be quenched, and thus, I have become a jack of all trades, master of none.
Message: Posted by: Andy the cardician (Oct 4, 2007 04:40PM)
So true . . . it is the misguided believe that possesing equals mastering.

I tried to summarize this in

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=226539&forum=41&29
Hobbies are dangerously addictive in the beginning. I didn't feel like a card collector when I bought just one pack of baseball cards when I was a kid, so I had to go out and spend $50.00 on many packs of cards. Same thing with comics - one wasn't enough, so I had to buy 10.

I didn't feel like I was going to be a magician unless I bought a bunch of books and tricks instead of only one. I have calmed down with the spending and try to spend less than $50.00 a month on magic, which = a book or dvd or two.
The coins I carry :)

The best part is, I never actually 'spend' them in the process of doing magic :)
I go through phases where I will spend $100 to $300 a month and then nothing for 2 or 3 months. I am a sucker for sales. Just bought a set of used books, Tarbel's Course (Vol. 1-6), for $77 including shipping. Just too good of a deal to pass up.
When I got my Tarbell set the guy who sold it suggested. "With this you will never have to buy magic props since you can make your own. For every tick you master and perform in public, set $2.00 aside. Use this to purchase gimmicks and props and things that you may need. Never spend anyhting on magic that you did not earn by doing magic.

You might raise that to $10.00 today.
1000$ and the right advice will get you everything you need to get started doing commercial magic shows without ever truly needing to buy more. You can get a wireless headset mic, portable amp, and instructional DVDs and props. I focused on learning things that don't need to be bought too often like coins, cards and mentalism.

Little things that need to be purchased all the time are things like loops, but if you make your own you won't need to by IET too often.

If you focus on putting together an act, you can narrow down the list of tricks or effects you need. Once you have an act, stop buying tricks! Now it's time to make money with your investment!
Enough. I went through the gotta-have-it phase slowly. Now I research the H_ll out of stuff before I buy it. Last major purchase was TA and my money to the I.B.M.
[quote]
On 2005-03-15 17:22, Static wrote:
How much money do you all invest in magic per month. I usually spend 200 monthly. All of my magic is close up, is this about the norm? Thanks!
[/quote]

I "invest" as little as possible per month. Over a period of ten years the figure is rounded up to $2.10 a month. This includes instructional material and disposable props. I can't imagine spending $200 a month "investing" in magic. Going way out on a limb I would venture the opinion that $200 a month is not the norm. On the other hand, A bah, Ahh Beee, my measuring stick has been called suspect.
In the last month I have spent about $200. Mostly on books and dvd's but a few gaff tricks as well just to see how they work. I honestly think that the books and dvd's will keep me busy for months and give me enough material to last years... Though of course I will spend more sooner or later I am sure.
In one year, I may spent just about $3500 dollars. why:
Because I just started out and fulfilling a dormant interest in magic which is a great hobby. No intentions to really "perform".
So of course I have my share of pure crap and redundant items because I bought into the hype, sucker purchases etc. etc.
Now I'm done because buying any more will not improve anything and I have way to much unread books and unseen DVDs, really silly. I almost think this could be some addiction or some other obsession.
I've learn that the best magic are the basics, still since half the stuff out there if not more are old tricks with slightly new twists. I can't tell you how many times I get a new card or coin one trick and find out it originated from the 40's or 50's. oh well, I can tell you I am much wiser in making purchases. I hate finding tricks still shrink wrapped, not good. Much too indulgent.
Peace out ya'll.
Oh, add another $200 for buying Morgan silver dollars and Walking Liberties. Guess what, The coins are so cool that now I started to get into collecting coins. Curse you Magic with these off shoots of interest.
Okay last one, another insult to injury is also hunting down first editions of magic books. yea realllly smart.
[quote]
On 2009-10-20 23:16, rklew64 wrote:

I've learn that the best magic are the basics, still since half the stuff out there if not more are old tricks with slightly new twists. I can't tell you how many times I get a new card or coin one trick and find out it originated from the 40's or 50's. oh well, I can tell you I am much wiser in making purchases.
[/quote]

That is some fantastic advice newbies should read... I said above that I have spent about $200 on magic recently... looking at it properly it's more like $500. Luckily I found this place and realised from reading threads that most of what I really want is probably found in books rather than cheaply made gimmicks.... thanks Magic Café!
I don’t purchase tricks per say, the older I get the more I have been into collecting Cups, items made of brass and older magic books. I am also at a point in life that I am lucky enough to purchase childhood memories of items I could never afford way back when.

I look at the boxes of stuff from over 40 years and boy is there a lot of junk. To any new guys out there, I would recommend books and well built items that will last you a lifetime. Also try to make contact with others you trust to bounce purchase ideas off of before you lay down your hard earned money.

As to how much to spend to get started… $50 can get you some great books, cards and coins to begin with. Dollars spent a month, it depends on what I find out there, but it is more then I should spent.

Good luck,
Bruce
How much you spend is a very personal thing. Give a person a fish and he can feed his family, teach him how to fish and he can feed everybody.
Read books, watch DVDs you will learn to do things with what you have and not spend a large amount of money.
just my thoughts
What if all of us that have this addition to buying magic, even though we already have enough material to keep us busy, took one or two months off from buying magic effects and instead donated half of what we normally spend to things like S.A.M. Magic Endowment Fund, S.A.M. Magic Center Foundation or S.A.M. Hall of Fame & Magic Museum? I wonder how much we could help the magic community and the art of magic that way.

Take two months off, save half your money, help out our art.
For me....

HIGH RISK HIGH RETURN.....and it must

so how much I spend....depends how much I can get more..
Once can learn for free.

If you want to read magic books which are in the public domain on line without having to pay anything, go to:

books.google.com

Type in:

date:0-1923 magic

See what's out there.

:magicrabbit:
[quote]
On 2009-10-29 20:46, pradell wrote:
Once can learn for free.

If you want to read magic books which are in the public domain on line without having to pay anything, go to:

books.google.com

Type in:

date:0-1923 magic

See what's out there.

[/quote]

One of the top hits is a book on parlor magic with a recipe for laughing gas in it. Not everything from those times is applicable today :)
Pradell: I had no idea that google done that! There is lots of interesting stuff on there, not just magic related. Thanks for the link.
You're welcome. Marko at The Learned Pig Project has created another resource for free magic publications. Pass the test, get the password and you're in.

http://www.thelearnedpig.com.pa/home.html

Joshua Jay has a free ebook for parents of budding magicians, Under, Over, available for download at http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/under-over/

I agree with Nathan, that we should set a boundary or goal. What I do now is only focus on cards and coins. There are really hundreds of card tricks, even I won't learn or like them all but still there are so many of them. Could make me busy for a while lol.

I could spend about $50 a month IF I don't buy other things such as movie DVDs, etc. But lately it has been hard for me.
Just go the cheap route. It can save ya a lot.
Well in my opinion, tricks like card manipulation, which is doesn't really need a gimmick wont cost you much. Though, its still bring you awesome effect! and most magician respect you when you play something with less gimmick, CMIIW
PEOPLE! Please keep buying more magic! And when you realize you can't use it and don't need it anymore, come sell it to me at the next swap meet!

I get more bargains that way...
Everyone has been very supportive of NMS. Discounts are available, and aggressive discounts to those that include our banner on there site...

PM me for details...

Jason - NMS