(Close Window)
Topic: Ring flight
Is ring flight suitable for strolling magicians? I perform it when performing table magic in my routine with my magic club but it needs a re set as I use a silk. I cant make up my mind if its practical for walk round magic. does anyone already use it and have any views
'Ya bedda believe it is! (Okay, now here come the arguments against.)

The one that I utilize is "The Morelli Ring", originally offered by Collector's Workshop, now from Viking Magic (if they ever get a new stock of them). No moving parts to "spring loose" and really no way to damage/lose the spectator's ring. Re-sets in an instant too.

JMHO

Cheers! ;)
Is that the one with the connection welded down on the key case and tou use the string. I have a really nice flight with a nice reel but its the re set I don't like. is there any way to combat this or a different way to perform it. I like the silk it offers cover but how do you get the flight under the silk.
Golly, you mean you haven't seen "Just in Case" ??? The perfect, NO REEL, version for strolling or STAGE. Yes, Seabrooke uses it on stage.

http://www.porperoriginals.com
I haven't seen it performed as yet but have heard of it but was put of with the price. is there any tips for performing ring flight more confidently
STEVIE D

Sent you a PM.

Cheers! ;)
After all the good reports for the morelli ring flight I managed to get one from viking as they are back in stock and was not impressed,the part inside the slide that allows it to be undone by a spectator fell out after just 15 minutes of me playing with it and I'm not sure which way to put it back together.
if that happened when performing in the real world I'd be gutted,it just does not seem very practical to me I think I might just stick to my mark leveredge ring flight,no reel,instant reset,always ready to go,however its not any good for large rings and its a ring to key case not key ring which I was looking for.
Stevie D,
I assume the one you are using has a reel; that's fine -- until one time when you know the ring went one way and the stone went another! Is your performance insurance up to date?
Warren,

Your "Morelli" didn't come with instructions? (Tells you how to fix if mishandled.) I've had mine from the first time Collector's Workshop offered it, before buyout by Viking Magic, and have had not problem one. And that's after several thousand performances.

FWIW

Cheers! ;)
Cheers for that ill have a look at the website later. sounds like a fine solution to my ring flight problem. its one of the strongest effects I know and I love performing it.
Stanyon,
it came with instructions however no illustrations so I had to contact them again and to their credit viking emailed me with the missing illustrations.
I'm just amazed that it came apart like it did so easily and in such a short amount of time,perhaps I should take it out and have another look at it but at the moment I'm very dissapointed with it and definately wouldn't say it was practical,in fact I'm thinkig of trying the one on meir yedids web site which I think is called ring thing.
Many guys hear horror stories of mishaps with "reel" versions. I have used mine at least 10 times a night over the last 4 years without fail. There is no other version that vanaishes as clean. Don't give up on it, just use a diferent presentation. P.M. me for mine. Everything I do must be instant reset with no get ready.
If you have to use a reel, NEVER do it with a ring with a solitary stone. A wedding band is OK. Besides the ring and stone separating in flight, there is a slight chance of you dropping it and damaging the stone.
I have used a John Swink style reel and a jeweler's clip on my ring flite for fifteen years, and have never had a problem, lost, scratched, or damaged a ring. I use the ring-flite at every table or group when I do walkaround. Having a good reel and a proper clip (a jeweler's clip like the S4S Perfect Clip) is extremely important.

I am convinced that the vanish of the ring using the original ring-flite reel gimmick is much more magical and convincing than any other method.
Whit,
The problem is not in the force of the reel dislodging the stone. The problem is that in a typical solitaire diamond setting there are prongs that grab the facets of the stone. They may get worn, bent, or damaged and with minimal force the stone can pop out. All I'm saying is avoid the chance of a disaster my using the wedding band instead of the engagement ring- or be very careful.
[quote]
On 2005-03-26 19:16, whithaydn wrote:
I have used a John Swink style reel and a jeweler's clip on my ring flite for fifteen years, and have never had a problem, lost, scratched, or damaged a ring. I use the ring-flite at every table or group when I do walkaround. Having a good reel and a proper clip (a jeweler's clip like the S4S Perfect Clip) is extremely important.

I am convinced that the vanish of the ring using the original ring-flite reel gimmick is much more magical and convincing than any other method.
[/quote]

Mr. Haydn,

Where can you find the Swink style reels? Thank-you,
Don't know. John Swink is gone. Michael Forbes made a Swink style reel for a while. He may put them out again.
Ok then, Whit, where can you find the S4S clip?
[quote]
On 2005-03-26 19:16, whithaydn wrote:
I have used a John Swink style reel and a jeweler's clip on my ring flite for fifteen years, and have never had a problem, lost, scratched, or damaged a ring. I use the ring-flite at every table or group when I do walkaround. [/quote]

I'll ditto that.

Coincidentally, I too have been using ring flight for roughly 15 years.

I never do walkaround without it and in fact I use it as the closer for each table. It's the one effect that people seem to remember more than any other, even years later.

I ALWAYS use a ring with a stone. When I started I would use a simple wedding band, but the trick is so strong that I people didn't believe they were getting back the same ring!
I use a ring with a stone or an unusual ring so that they will know that they are getting their ring back and not a dupe.

Cheers
Billy James
Cheers billy but what sort of flight do you use, how do you go about re setting and hiding the line?
[quote]
On 2005-04-05 01:08, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Ok then, Whit, where can you find the S4S clip?
[/quote]

http://www.schoolforscoundrels.com Look under the Chef Anton items.
[quote]
On 2005-03-24 18:11, Pete Biro wrote:
Golly, you mean you haven't seen "Just in Case" ??? The perfect, NO REEL, version for strolling or STAGE. Yes, Seabrooke uses it on stage.

http://www.porperoriginals.com
[/quote]

WOW I just visited the proper site and now I have to start saveing my pennies. I've been looking for a site with a few of these things on it for quite some time. I have a friend who still has a mercedes bends key but we can't find any for sale anymore I think Just A Key would work just fine.
thanks!
Joe comet
Geatan Bloom also have a ring flight that dosn't use a reel. very clean and nice to use.
Thanks to all those satisified customers.... we are about do deliver Just IN Case number 401 (and more)!!!
[quote]
On 2005-04-05 03:50, STEVIE D wrote:
Cheers billy but what sort of flight do you use, how do you go about re setting and hiding the line?
[/quote]

Mate, I really can't recall who the maker was of this thing.

It has a locking mechanism but I never use it.

My RH inside jacket pocket buttons in the middle. I start with the pocket buttoned but with the gimmick outside, from there I access the gimmick when I'm ready to do the routine.

At the end of the routine the key case goes back into my pocket and I button it up so that I'm ready to go again.

Cheers
I got put onto this by Vinmagic and I must say I'm glad. "Ringer"
I don't knock any of the other becuase they are great but I do like this one. I guessi t just fits me best , so far.
I agree with Vibono I think Gaetan Bloom Ring Flight is one of the most pratical and “safe” method.
Did you see his presentation? Fantastic!
He used to vanish the ring like Bert Allerton Vanishing Bird Cage (several spectator hold his hand)
Cheers
[quote]
On 2005-04-06 20:21, fasteno wrote:
I agree with Vibono I think Gaetan Bloom Ring Flight is one of the most pratical and “safe” method.
Did you see his presentation? Fantastic!
He used to vanish the ring like Bert Allerton Vanishing Bird Cage (several spectator hold his hand)
Cheers
[/quote]

I agree with you too !
Gaëtan's method is very clever, extremely "safe" as you said. The gimmick implied is well known but used here in a "different" manner. Very ingenious !

Ange.
I've been using "My Ring Collection" for about two years now... It is killer... You'll just need to use a little misdirection as there is no reel...

Thanks for reading,

RDS
I have used a ring flight I got from Stevens about 15 years ago. I use it at almost every strolling gig I do. The handling that I use is from Peter Samuelson (i think it is written up in his book Theatrical Magic) It is a logical routine, the gimmic is concealed by your coat and totally covered. I must admit that I never use an engagement type ring with a stone. I usually look for a wedding band or a ring on their right hand. I have never had a problem.
I love the effect, but would never perform Ring Flight.

All it takes is one evil person to claim that you damaged their ring, even if you didn't. I'd rather not have that type of liability in my act
Message: Posted by: The Naked Magician (Oct 14, 2008 01:58PM)
I think that El Duco's ring Flight is by far one of the best. may be abit pricey, buts it worth every penny. comes with a 1 year guarentee for all of you who think reels brake! :)
I have a public liability insurance of £10m, just incase
but I've been doing this routine for around 3 years and NEVER had one problem what so ever
you can see my el duco ring flight about half way into this........
http://youtube.com/user/mattwainwrightcom
I always find the many discussions on ring flight interesting. Everyone has their favorite approach, version, handling and presentation which is great!

Since we're on the subject, I'll throw in my two cents.

While all ring flights have the same basic effect, I do not think they are all created equal. The real strength of the trick lies in the conditions of the vanish and production.

I like the reel versions because the vanish is complete and instantaneous. No fumbling, no awkward procedure; a real now-you-see-it-now-you-don't vanish. I can pause here (and let spectators check my hands/sleeves etc if they so desire) before calling attention to the fact that my empty hand is reaching into my [i]buttoned[/i] jacket pocket, pulling out a [i]zipped[/i] key case with their ring [i]clipped[/i] inside.

There are so many versions on the market, all of which pack a magical punch, but something is lost when you take some of those conditions away.

Incidentally, the key case works for me and always has; I also carry a large balducci wallet in my other inside jacket pocket.
I also carry $5M liability insurance policy but have never had a problem in 10 years of performing this effect.
[youtube]xWHlmNn_STs[/youtube]
I always carry the Key Case in my left hip back pocket. I get the clip in my left hand when putting something away, and clip it to the ring. I let the reel go slowly, so it gently takes the ring under my coat and to the back pocket. I have the brake disconnected, as I never use it. My arm and coat hide the line.
I've only incorporated a ring flight over the last two years, but
I'm loving the Ring Flight Revolution from Propdog.
I have a nice, leather, “old school” version (when we carried key cases more often) available. PM me if interested.
Absolutely,

Ring flight revolution is by far in my opinion one of the best ring flights on the market.
Dave at prop dog is a fantastic magician and has put some thought into this routine.
No key case just a set of real keys, and different style hooks, definitely worth a look.
Nickoli
Love Ring Flight and still have two working cases. However, I've had a couple of really close calls. I now have Ring Flite (2 actually) that's a regular key ring. It is clever. Loading it is easy enough, but I'm not yet happy with the pre-load vanish. The gaffed coin hanky vanish that I learned from Mark Wilson's book would work if there was a generic woman's ring that could pass scrutiny. That vanish is as startling to laypeople as the clap vanish used by so many magicians doing Ring Flight.

My review of this apparatus is in the review section. I have no involvement with ellusionist; I'm just a fan of the effect.
On page 191 of my book "Gerald Deutsch's Perverse Magic: The First Sixteen Years" and on April 1, 2010 of the Perverse Magic thread on the Genii Forum I describe a Perverse Magic routine with a borrowed ring where the magician is confused where things happen with a borrowed ring and to his confusion he finds it in his pocket.