(Close Window)
Topic: The Magic Menu - Jim Sisti
Hi, I was considering buying The Magic Menu but with only one problem. I only have enough for one of them as I have other things which I will be buying too. I would be getting the other compilation some months later.

So the question is, which would be better to get first? The "Years 1-5" or "Years 6-10"? I understand it's gonna be hard to choose, that's why I am here to consult those who owns both compilations. My intention to buy The Magic Menu is to aid my research into the business side of restaurant magic, especially how to market/sell myself to the restaurant managers and ways to penetrate into markets that's new to such concepts (I live outside of the US and restaurant magicians are yet to be seen but I believe it can be done if I have the right resources...).

As my focus is more on the business side of restaurant magic, which of the 2 volumes have more great business oriented articles that I should study? I was thinking of getting the "Years 1-5", any better recommendations?

Thanks a million in advance!!! ^.^
I am partial to Years 1-5 since I contributed more to that volume :) But there is invaluable info in both. I might suggest you start with that volume then after you have digested the material, you will know what you are in store for with Volume 2. It's like Tarbell...I always suggest starting at the beginning and buying Volume 1 and progressing in your purchases with Vol. 2, etc. At least that's my two and a half cents worth of advice.

yours,
Scott
I don't own them but have thought about getting them as well. In just my little research I see people talking up 1-5 more than 6-10. I will probably get them in that order. From what I understand, it's hard to go wrong with either, but doing it in order makes sence anyway.
Get years 1 - 5. If my mneumnoic...neumon...nmunomic...if my memory system serves me correctly pages 9 and 18 have good tips on writing letters to restaurants. There's a ton of invaluble advice throughout the whole book too.
Isn't this out of print?

Darren...
[quote]
On 2005-03-31 02:11, TheMagicMan wrote:
Isn't this out of print?

Darren...
[/quote]

It's been re-rissued in book form.
The book is out of print too. But I am sure that there are still copies lying around.
If any one knows where I can buy both , that would be great.

Darren...
@ TheMagicMan
In the UK, you can buy both volumes here: http://www.magicbox.uk.com

Which volumes should you buy: of course both, but if I had to choose one, I think I would go with "Years 6-10", because in this book you can find an excellent series of articles on finances. But it is really hard to decide which book is better.

Magixx
Volume 1, by all means. While volume 2 has some really wonderful stuff, for me, the first volume is just a shade better, but I'm not too sure as to why. Just my gut reaction to the question.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
Thanks a lot, I sure hope Volume 1 is still available. It would be VERY SAD if such a great classical reference is out of print and unavailable to future magicians. It would be a great loss of the magic world.

Everyone who owns both please post your opinion/suggestions, I can greatly appreciate all your help, guys! Thanks to all those who replied...
Thanks Calexa I ordered them both and they will be with me Monday morning.

Darren...
You are very welcome. As far as I know, they have the cheapest prize in the UK.

Magixx
Hey Calexa,
they arrived this morning, I have only had half an hour to have a quick read, they look to be a great investment, just wish I had bought them many years ago.

Darren...
Everybody wishes they'd bought them years ago, better late than never LOL - Enjoy!

Hey Darren

I had a quick look at your website...err, you don't appear to have any contact details on your site (apart from your guestbook maybe.)

Maybe adding a way of contacting you will increase your business. :bg:

Derek
Hey Derek,
This is an agent friendly web site (purely a tool for agents), the agents I work with can give the web address to a client (without fear of losing a sale) on the phone and they can go directly to the site and see who they have booked while waiting for my brouchure to arrive in the post.

Darren...
That's cool, just a bit frustrating for people that stumble across your site looking for exactly the type of thing you offer and having no way whatsoever to contact you or your agents.
I do have another site with all my details on, but is down at the moment, same as this one but with a hyperlink to a contacts page.

Darren...

ps It is me The Magic Man, after typing my previous post I went to edit my profile and while I was doing it one of my kids came in and distracted me, now I can't log in, so I had to re register.
LOL, that's kids for ya!

Cheers Darren
Hi Darren, I like the website. And I'm glad that you liked the books. Theu are indeed great!

Magixx
They Certainly Are

Darren...
You can't go wrong with either. Every magicians bookshelf should have them.
[quote]
On 2005-04-08 00:05, Spinnato wrote:
You can't go wrong with either. Every magicians bookshelf should have them.
[/quote]

You got that right! I've met Jim a couple of times at different lectures and conventions, and all I can say is that if you do restaurant magic, he is the man! I have a couple of his books and bookletes, and I had (not sure what happened to it) years 1 through 5. It was loaded with great stuff! I haven't read 6-10, but if it's even half as good as 1-5, then it's awesome.

I second what Spinnato said; you can't go wrong with either.
The problem now is where can I get "The Magic Menu Years 1-5"??? Anywhere that you guys know still have stocks?

Please let me know...

Thanks
The UK has them

http://www.magicbox.uk.com/product.php?prodId=00260&catId=919