(Close Window)
Topic: Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
Does anybody know when brand new computers bought at a store will already come equipped with Service Pack 2 (SP2) already installed onto the factory-installed XP Operating System? SP2 has been out now for almost a year -- aren't new computers now being manufactured with SP2 already integrated?
Well... when a new shipment of Windows software is distributed, they tend to include the latest service pack. So it is likely that this is true. This not only appeals to some customers, but it saves Microsoft bandwidth from their update site. Not to mention that Windows update already requires service pack 1 installed in order to update, but soon, if not already, you will require sp2. This helps Microsoft in their anti-piracy efforts as well as it saves them much time, money, and bandwidth.

so in answering your question... I don't doubt it.

-Matthew Wadsworth
I forgot to mention... it may be a while before the current, non sp1/sp2 OEM versions of windows xp are weeded out and every new PC has it installed, but chances are the shelf versions of XP are going to be replaced much sooner.
I just bought an Alienware graphics computer system, and it came installed.
Click the 'Start' button.
Click 'Run..'.
Type [b]winver[/b]

When I do this a window pops up and shows:
Version 5.1
and also shows that SP2 has been installed.

Also when I click on IE's 'Help', 'About Internet Explorer' it shows 'Update Versions:; SP2'.

Hope this helps.