(Close Window)
Topic: When and to whom to perform ?
I heard about working at restaurants and I was wondering how this concept works. I am from Israel and we don't have this kind of entertainment here. What I don't understand is when do the magic take place. Is it during the waiting for the table or maybe when waiting for the food to come. I believe it is certainly not while they are eating because then they are busy with different kind of magic.
Also I am wondering who is the audience. I guess that a couple on a romantic dinner is out of the question due to the "appearing blue eye" syndrome.
So please can you describe a little, when exactly the magic take place and what is the kind of audience enjoys it.

Thanks.
Plenty of good books and videos on this. I'd suggest The Restaurant Workers Handbook by Jim Pace and Jerry MacGregor. This is an excellent book for the beginner and the sesasoned professional. Try Steven's Magic Emporium, Hank Lee's Magic Factory or your favorite dealer.
Carl Andrews has a great book on restaurant magic that you should look into, it's called "magic from maui". It's a great resource on how to get into restaurant magic and teahces thirty trick that are made for the restaurant situation. If you are serious into performing in restuarants then you should give this book a read through.
Magic_ram:

See my signature block for some info to
help get "your feet wet" on the subject.

frank
I'll give a second vote to the Jim Pace book, and a vote for Kirk Charles' Guide to Restaurant magic.

Kevin
Magic_Ram

When you perform depends upon your customers. In between courses, at the bar waiting for a table, covering for kitchen problems - all these periods can be filled by your magic. But some people actually ask to see magic while they're eating, and with larger tables you may be able to perform for a few fast eaters while the others are still working on their plates.

As for romantic couples - again, it depends upon the customers. Some enjoy the interruption, others don't. It's a matter of knowing when to go away and when to stay.

All the texts recommended above will give you ideas on the basics.

Cheers

Ian
Thank you for your responses. I will try to get one of the recommended books.
I agree with all comments posted above. As just a couple of quick rules of thumb,

1) approach a table after a drinks have been delivered and the food order has been taken.

2) after the check has been delivered, after the meal.

3) perform in the lobby when there is a waiting list. Performing in an area that doesn't disrupt the flow of traffic in and out of the building is also a must.

I would also suggest you read Eugene Burgers thoughts on table hopping. I have personallly adopted some of his opinions and they have increased my tips, and improved the clientele in the restaurants and bars, which is of course, your purpose for being.

Happy researching,

Eric Jones
Prestidigitator