(Close Window)
Topic: School Programs
I don't see much in the way of mentors online or otherwise by way of School performances or assemblies.

Does anyone have a list of resources for pointing one in the proper direction for creating an entertaining, educational, above all professional program?

All feedback and opinions are encouraged.

Let us have a meaningful, informational, and constructive dialogue.
The school assembly marketplace was the main part of my business for over a decade and I still do them. If you want to learn all about the business of school programs go to:

http://www.MagicSuccessSeminars.com

I was fortunate enough to share the platform with three other top school assembly and motivational magicians for a two day seminar on this very topic. We recorded everything and I can assure you that you won't find anything more comprehensive on the topic.

Jim
There are lots of school show performers involved with the KidAbra Conference, and/or their forum. David Ginn, John Cooper, Mark Daniel, Jim Snack, Steve Hart, BJ Hickman, Steve Taylor, etc.

- Donald
As a 20+ yr fulltime school performer and entertainment industry coach I can offer some advice.

First a few questions:
Why school shows?
School assembly work is demanding. There's not only doing the program but selling them also. We spend an average of $2000 a month on postage alone! Some people think it's instant BIG money in schools but there's not! You have to work for the money you get. It's like any other job. There's work and then rewards.

Do you like to travel?
Unless you live in a large metro area it will involve travel.

Do you have experience with a larger scale show?
Elementary schools in my area run 350-1500 students.

Do you have a large dependable sound system?

Are you going to do school shows as a fulltime living or part-time hobby?

What topic interests you? Have you researched it?

Is there any competition in your market? Have you researched them?

I DON'T recommend the show-in-a box! The fulltime successful school performers I know write & research their own presentations. They would NEVER sell their show.

I hope these questions help. I've coached many entertainers in the school show market and they found these questions helpful as we worked on developing their business.

-John
Great questions, John! I agree completely.

Any magician looking to break into doing school programs should thoroughly research the market first. There's a lot of word of mouth in the school business and word will get out on anyone who tries to exploit the market without providing a show with solid educational value.

Jim
Devious, this is very good advice you are receiving. I say that because I attended the SuccessinMagic seminar and Kidabra. I began to devlop and market school shows. It is difficult. The people who book the shows are responsible for getting their money's worth of educational content. They investigate you and ask a lot of questions. Also, something that was said over and over but bears repeating is to develop a show on a topic that is of interest to you as well. I did some substance abuse shows. Although I believe in not abusing substances I thought that show had been over done in schools. I really want to to shows on safety and health (as I am a diabetic). My evaluations showed that my heart was not fully in the abuse prevention shows. Not bad evaluations but truthful and sometimes the truth stings! I will not be making that mistake again. Also, no shows in a box. Do your research. The main thing I learned both in the seminars and in my beginning experience is to develop the educational part of the program first and make it strong. The magical and entertaining part can then be meshed. That will be easier because it is what you already know. If you go the other way and try to fit the presentation to the magic the message will suffer. Good luck and do check out the aforementioned resources.