(Close Window)
Topic: Tricks with a hat!
I just started wearing a hat as part of my performing attire! Are there any sources for good tricks that involve hats. If you know any please post them here. THANKS

-Scott Alexander- 12 o clock Show
What kind of hat?
[b][i]Card in Hat[/i][/b], [i]The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings[/i]
Scott
For $10 you could buy "Manipulative Miscellanea" by Reginald W. Bacon which shows you many hat, plate, cain, and cup manipulation tricks (not magic tricks). Most juggling supply stores sell it http://www.toddsmith.com, and http://www.dube.com both sell it. I hope this is what you are looking for.
Al Angello
Uh, rabbit out of a hat?

Card manipulations, and card goes into hat.
Vootrage,there is a great hat move on Jim Pace's Visuantics,where the performers arm dissappears into the hat.
Charlie Fry has some good hat moves on Eccentrics 2 as well as heaps of other magic/juggling material.

Chappelly
If you study magic history you will come across a fantastic little man by the name of Max Malini.One of his favorites was to produce a large block of ice from his hat. You can find a book called Malini and his Magic by Dai Vernon great read great magician.
http://trickswithhats.org/

check out this site, theres plenty of videos of hat manipulation aswell as written tutorials.

ollie
Since were talking about tricks with hats.....does anyone know about the gimmick for the jumping silk, and could it pop a hat off one's head?
I use my hat as a benson bowl for sponge balls. The top of my hat has a ridge which serves as the hollow base of the bowl.

I read someone else here, I think Ron Jaxxon, that puts an ITR in the hatband and by lifting his eyebrows locks it.
Tex, you beat me to it about a Benson Bowl routine!
That's why I asked what type of hat.
I'm sorry I meant

scott alexanders- 10 o clock show has one hat trick

thanks for all the other sources!
Jaz, you wear a cowboy hat? To be a Benson Bowl it needs something to simulate the hollow base of the bowl. My ridge does that well. Do other types of hats have that ridge? I wouldn't know. In my entire life I've worn berets (in the Army, thank you, I'm no foo-foo) and cowboy hats. Even my hard hat when I worked construction was shaped like a cowboy hat.
Jaz I am currently wearing a bowler/derby hat...
I would personally recomend Charlie Frye's 2nd dvd if you are into the physical comedy stuff, there is a trick he did with his hat and a paper ball that is very good
You can do a loop ball routine with a hat. its on one of the cellini dvds.
Tex,
I don't wear cowboy hats.
Usually I wear a newsboy type hat as per my avatar or a baseball type cap.
Wouldn't any hat made of stiff material and brim be OK for Benson Bowl though?
Not sure what you mean by 'ridge' Tex.
Anyone, think of any good repeating gags with a hat?

HERES A LITTLE ADDITION TO THE LIST

Jim Pace Visu-Antics - The Hat trick - You appear to reach VERY DEEP into a hat and pull something out.
I came across a nice little bit the other day, "on the fly". At the climax of sponge bunnies, I held out my hat to catch them all, and then put the whole lot back on my head. After another trick or two (this was a walkaround) I took off my hat to bid farewell, "remembered" the bunnies, and said, "oh - and this lot need some lettuce - I'd better go!" It got a smile, and provided nice "bracketing" for the routine.
As already mentioned, depending on the type of hat a great Benson Bowl type routine can be done.

Unfortunately, all routines where a hat is involved also need a table.

Don't forget the ageold 'wandering rolled up napkins* as so expertly performed by Daryl on his *Fooler dooler DVD', using clothnapkins (2 of them) as a cover.
There is a very old basic routine just using a single hat.

BTW, that 2-clothnapkin thing, wondering sugarcubes, as done by Daryl is an oustandingly fine piece of magic that contains a lot of the basics of misdirection.
I'm pretty sure most ppl have overlooked it on the mentioned DVD..

Actually I would love to do that routine, solely all the other stuff I *would love to refresh* prevents me from starting playing with 'new' routines, but THAT one would certainly be on top of my list as numero uno!

Back to the topic..
The very best thing one can do using a hat, is *Turpins Turnip*, as performed in the old days by the english busker Dick Turpin, producing a large turnip under the hat, or Percy Press' appearing filled glass of water..that kind of stuff that plays big..

Good ol' Bob Read also has an outstanding routine using a bowlerhat and napkins, ending IIRC also with the production of an item.

A bowlerhat also give great opportunities to do the well know jugglingmove where it rolls up and down ones arm..
So it all depends on the type of hat.

For the Benson Hat routine a type of clowns hat -looking a bit similar to a bowler, but made of soft material/filt- with almost no crimp around, is great.
Actually Joro (from Germany) has described a such -very fine- routine in his *Kleines Becherspiel Kompendium*-book.
Oh, BTW, his final load is a *lump of coal* like Don Alan did way back..
Imagine this done in a private home on a white tablecloth...Joro did it.. :)
Is there a trick that has this plot? I am trying to come up with a method... I would love your ideas as to the best solution to the plot but I don't have access to the secret sessions yet due to the reset of my account.

PLOT

A card is selected and signed. The card is clearly placed under a hat that is on the table. The spectator selects another indifferent card that they place their finger on. The Hat is lifted to show the card is vanished. The spectator lifts their finger only to find that the card has magically changed to their signed card.

-i want this to be a disappearance and magical re-appearance. Not a transpo.
- I am currently using Tenkai for the dissapear and a T*P-C***GE for the reappear. Anyone have a better more visual method they would like to suggest?