(Close Window)
Topic: T.T. and strolling
Hello,
Iīm a T.T.beginner and I feel Iīm gonna love this tool but I wonder if it isnīt a bit dangerous in strolling and restaurant situations considering the short distance between gests and me.And there is also the side view (the profile view) problem .Should I keep the T.T.for other situations where the T.T.would be more invisible?
thanks,
Fernando
I use my TT in closeup situations and have never been caught
A good rotuine will never allow the TT to be seen or even suspected. For example, I have a friend who does a routine with a Red TT, people are never aware!
Its all about practice and timing. Getting a nice routine that flows and doesn't pause/stick when doing "sneaky" things.
You want the routine committed to memory so that you don't have to keep looking at your hands etc
I suggest getting a DVD on the subject matter. May I suggest one of the following:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=912
http://www.magictricks.com/videos/dvds/dvdthumb.htm

Please note I'm not suggesting you buy from these places. The links are only for demo purposes
Done properly a TT will never be seen.
Most times in effects it is behind the hand or just partially in view.
Just forget you have it on and be casual.
Oh, and one more for luck

http://www.alakazam.co.uk/

Scroll down for the Pat Page Secret Seminar DVDs
Thank you both. I allready own Darwinīs dvdīs set.there is a lot of interesting material in there but I find difficult to build a routine with it because you have to prepare the T.T. at the beguining of each effect,and the routine doesnīt flow as I wich to.In other words,the effects does not build in the preciding one in a soft fashion.I need some advice on this matter.
thank you again,
Fernando
TT is a tool.
Some resetting will be required for bare hand production effects but not for small vanishes.
Use the TT for producing a silk and then use the silk for an effect or..
do an effect with sting, an elastic band or other small object and vanish them.

Doing one TT effect after another just don't work very well.
I sometimes think the TT is even better at close range. With a properly choreographed routine, it's harder to focus on it.
Thatīs what I thought Jaz.So I can conclude that relying on a t.t.for an entire routine is not doable.unless...
unless I keep a number of t.t.īs preset,like a cowboy with the bullets on a belt arround his body.Mabe there is in the market a kind of t.t. holder for this porpose.but I never heard about it,its just an idea.
Fernando
TTs are perfect for close-up. Only problem I find is quite a lot of people know about them...
[quote]
On 2005-04-24 17:49, ross welford wrote:
TTs are perfect for close-up. Only problem I find is quite a lot of people know about them...
[/quote]

You're right but, what is it they know? Many people people who have a basic interest in magic know the basic tricks.
When some folks see the well known handling for a basic silk or cigarette vanish a TT become suspect.

But there are different ways to use a TT and certain TT effects that will not be suspect.
The first time I saw a magician many years ago he performed an effect with the thumb tip I think he was using silks or summin after the show I tuggin on his coat beggin for him to teach me somthing in private he said yes and he said you wanna know how I did that thing with the silks I was like yeah yeah he said I used this he pointed to his thumb I was like huh?he said yeah I use a special thumb I said where is it is it invisible er summin he said as a matter of fact it is then he acted like he pulled his thumb off and put his hand behind my ear but when he opened it there was nothing there then he opened his other hand there it was like a freaky side show gimmick he said keep it you'll know what to do with it.I took it and put it in my pocket and when I got home I started experimenting with my new toy thumb before I knew it I was making the vegetables vanish at the dinner table...and that's all I have to say about that...
Actually there are plenty of alternative uses for the TT like balancing a card on the back of your hand / on the head, bill switches, that don't require the TT to be in view at all.
Some years back, I was at a dinner party at which the conversation got around to those buffoons Penn and Teller. They had just had a special on TV on which they exposed the working of the TT to the lay studio audience and had the studio audience do the vanishing silk for the TV audience.
Needless to say, with ZERO rehearsal, it was fully apparent how the trick was done.
And the guests at the dinner party commented on the tip.
Yet, less than 5 minutes later, I blew them away using nothing but the tip.
How?
I simply did something other than the vanishing silk!
Lay audiences may know about the workings of some things and be familiar with a few sleights (like the pass), but they also tend to think in a linear pattern (or, to use the latest 'buzz phrase', they think inside the box).
Think -- and act -- a different way and you, too, can "bring the house down".
So the moto is: "keep away from the standart and youīll be protected".
thanks for the tips.
One more thing: thereīs so much instructional material about TT that makes difficult for one to choose. I allready own Darwinīs dvd, and like to purchase more material(books included)to have an idea of the full potencial of that tool.Any suggestions?
Fernando
Quart, just get that little book by Milbourne Christopher: 'Fifty Tricks with a Thumb Tip'. Chock full of great ideas.
Check out Jay Sankey's Fan Mail. It's a cool trick based on a bill switch.
Thanks for the tip todsky.

Mengst, where can I check it?
Thanks,
Fernando
[quote]
On 2005-04-29 17:46, Quart wrote:
Mengst,where can I check it?
Thanks,
Fernando
[/quote]

It's on his DVD "Front Row Sankey."
It's certainly worth learning how to use a TT properly.

There are many different things that you can do with it!

If I ever meet John Cornelius then I will thank him for this wonderful contribution he has made to the world of magic,

Simon
[quote]
On 2005-04-30 09:33, themindreader wrote:
It's certainly worth learning how to use a TT properly.

There are many different things that you can do with it!

If I ever meet John Cornelius then I will thank him for this wonderful contribution he has made to the world of magic,

Simon
[/quote]

So you mean John Cornelius is the inventor?
Fernando
Sorry - it was a joke only a few people would get.

I was talking about the thought transmitter.

I thought it was funny,

Simon
[quote]
Iīm a T.T.beginner and I feel Iīm gonna love this tool but I wonder if it isnīt a bit dangerous in strolling and restaurant situations considering the short distance between gests and me.And there is also the side view (the profile view) problem .Should I keep the T.T.for other situations where the T.T.would be more invisible?
[/quote]

I have been using mine for over 20 years now and have never, ever been caught. I do small affairs and stroll from table to table or small group, etc. "They don't know about a thumb tip" just act natural. Wear it often around the house, pretty soon it will be just like wearing a ring - un-noticable. I use a couple, pre-loaded in my pocket. I even have an extra long one to hold a big load - it is really long, but no one ever sees it. Keep the hands moving and never look at it, practice, practice, practice. ~MagicAl~
20 years and never been caught? Thatīs very encouraging, it means it is very much "invisible". By now Iīm having a technique problem: the "one hand pull of" of the TT. I find impossible to do it in a fast unnoticeble way. Needs some misdirection to cover the move. Anyway,things are getting better but its not easy.

thanks for the tips
Fernando
Why get rid of it fast?
Be casual and ditch it as you go into your pocket for the next trick.
[quote]
On 2005-04-30 19:02, Jaz wrote:
Why get rid of it fast?
Be casual and ditch it as you go into your pocket for the next trick.
[/quote]

Jaz, the move Iīm talking about is pull it off and palm it and then put it back again in the same T.All done with the same hand.
[quote]
On 2005-04-30 19:14, Quart wrote:

Jaz,the move Iīm talking about is pull it off and palm it and then put it back again in the same T.All done with the same hand.
[/quote]

Not every one is that flexible. I know I'm not.
If your getting a 'vacumn effect' when trying to get it off, putting a small hole in the tip has been suggest here at the Café'.
Maybe you have it on too tight or just need more practice.
[quote]
On 2005-04-24 16:51, Quart wrote:
Thatīs what I thought Jaz.So I can conclude that relying on a t.t.for an entire routine is not doable.unless...
unless I keep a number of t.t.īs preset,like a cowboy with the bullets on a belt arround his body.Mabe there is in the market a kind of t.t. holder for this porpose.but I never heard about it,its just an idea.
Fernando
[/quote]

There is an invention here in Australia, the guy who makes them doesn't do many now because they're diffcult to make. Its not a generic TT Holder, it needs to be specially fitted to your TT's. It comes in a double or single with an optional bill holder, that way you can be set for a bill swicth with one tip, and cig vanishes with another. A Tip on the cig vanish ( see what I did there) put alfoil or I think you guys call it aluminium foil, in the bottom of the thing, so when its vanished and still lit, you don't ash the end because it shows through.

The holder is called the C-Clip.
[quote]
On 2005-04-30 20:44, GaMBiT_101 wrote:
[quote]
On 2005-04-24 16:51, Quart wrote:
Fernando
[/quote]

There is an invention here in Australia, the guy who makes them doesn't do many now because they're diffcult to make. Its not a generic TT Holder, it needs to be specially fitted to your TT's. It comes in a double or single with an optional bill holder, that way you can be set for a bill swicth with one tip, and cig vanishes with another. A Tip on the cig vanish ( see what I did there) put alfoil or I think you guys call it aluminium foil, in the bottom of the thing, so when its vanished and still lit, you don't ash the end because it shows through.

The holder is called the C-Clip.
[/quote]
Tell me more about the c-clip.
Yes, it sounds interesting this c-clip. Is it purchasable? Where?
Fernando
Young people tend to stick their whole thumb in. That is wrong. It should only go on the tip and fit snuggly and securely. Then it will be easy to manipulate. Get one the correct size or adjust it and you will be fine.

Kirk G
The maker of the C-clips has put off making them for a while, though he is going to start again soon as he has more products coming out. But, keep in mind if you have a favourite TT, he needs to have it to make the holder fit. When the manufacturer starts again I'll post the details for anyone interested.
I have also been sort of scared to use my thumb tip in close-up, nearly surrounded magic. My teacher wants me to do magic for the class and that's the first thing that comes to mind but there would be people in front of me and around the sides of me. I guess if I practice a lot it will be okay but it takes a lot of nerve to do it for the first time.

Jamie
I, for one, am glad you're scared. That means you care about magic. Before you use it in a magical setting, walk around with one on wherever you go. Hold things up with your hand and ask questions. Point with your hand at things. Nobody notices. Once you're sick and tired of that, try a vanishing silk routine. Whjen you reveal the silk, you don't need to pull it all the way out, just part way will do.
[quote]
On 2005-04-30 18:35, Quart wrote:
20 years and never been cought? Thatīs very encouraging,it means it is very much "invisible". By now Iīm having a technique problem: the "one hand pull of" of the TT. I find impossible to do it in a fast unnoticeble way. Needs some misdirection to cover the move. Anyway,things are getting better but it's not easy.

thanks for the tips
Fernando
[/quote]

The best advice I can give you on misdirection is this. A big move (misdirection) will always hide a smaller move (doing something with your TT). People will watch the bigger move. ~MagicAl
[quote]
On 2005-04-25 06:21, Quart wrote:
One more thing: thereīs so much instructional material about TT that makes difficult for one to choose. I allready own Darwinīs dvd, and like to purchase more material(books included)to have an idea of the full potencial of that tool.Any suggestions?
Fernando
[/quote]
"Rules of Thumb" video series 1, 2 and 3.
Thank you guys for the advice.
kihei kid, whoīs the author? Does he teach routines? I have Darwinīs DVDs with lots of tricks but not routines. Iīm looking for routines.
thanks again
Fernando
Kevin James. You can get them from his website kjmagic.com and yes all 3 volumes which I highly recommend all have routines, but, just as important, they will instruct you on how to utilize it properly.

Another plus for these is you will get to see differnt Magicians ideas on the TT.
A few years ago I heard of a routine Jeff McBride Shared at his lectures. The premise was that he produced a T.T. Streamer, tying it around a spectator's wrist ending with the idea that the spectator - (you) "are the MAGIC". I hope I didn't tip more than I should have, because I don't know if the routine is in print. I posted this because the routine as told to me ,must be a beautiful moment to witness. If anyone knows what I'm speaking of, please elaborate if possible. If the routine is published, please share the source. I would love to be able to perform it - and perform it correctly.
Thank you,

gician
[quote]
On 2005-04-29 12:07, todsky wrote:
Quart, just get that little book by Milbourne Christopher: 'Fifty Tricks with a Thumb Tip'. Chock full of great ideas.
[/quote]

I'd second it wholeheartedly. The strange thing is, there are only 3 magic books in English here in The University of Taiwan, and Milbourne Christopher's great book is included!
My favorite use for a thought transmitter is to use it with an invisible deck. I have the spec write down their card with the justification that there is no forgetting or changing their mind. I have them close the TT and then I put a rubber band around it and do the work at the same time. Now they don't have to even name the card they turn over in the invisible deck. I showed my dad this and he said "scary."

-Paul