(Close Window)
Topic: Medieval Themed Show
Hello, I don't know if this is the right topic to post this in, but here it goes...

I have been asked to do perform magic at the begining of a medieval feast fundraising event put on by the local theater guild, and if I could, I would like to do some 'medieval themed tricks' if there is any out there.
Any Suggustions?

Thanks, Sam Pearce
Greetings and Salutations Sam,

Go to the Sidewalk Shuffle Forum, there's a thread that's discussing this very topic. And think classic effects, ropes, ring on ropes, cups and balls, some coin work, and check out on-line versions of Hocus Pocus Jr., Discoverie of Witchcraft, and Art of Legerdemaine for inspiration.

Good luck,

Joe in KC

"Live a great adventure, make magic happen, have an interesting life!"
Don't turn magic historian on this one. Sure the cups and balls would be authentic, but does it fit the time, place and company of the current show? You're there to entertain, not give a magic lecture on authentic medieval magic. You were right in asking about 'medieval themed tricks.' That's what you want. I have some 'wizard' ideas on my site but I'm not allowed to tell you that.
Rope magic, silk magic, linking rings. Bill Palmer is a wonderful resourse on this subject, after all he does perform at most Rennisance fairs.
Good Luck!
Here are a few prop that seem to fit the theme and are specially 'prepared' or available from a variety of dealers.

Candles, torches, canes, wands. (produce flames, silks, coins; vanish, transform, etc)
Color changing liquids.
Fire, smoke and flashes.
Okay, let's look at other sides of this term "medieval" and some possibilities...

The feudal system: swords, knives, spears, rope and chain, shields, taxes, little pouches with money, chests, boxes, barrels, the trade guilds.

The Church: books, scrolls, architectural designs for cathedrals, Quasimodo and Esmerelda, illuminated manuscripts.

The Crusades: the Holy Grail, knights, stuff they brought back from the Middle East (lots of possibilities here), flags and banners, coats of arms.

Literature: the Canterbury Tales among others. The whole King Arthur saga.

Music: period musical instruments. Maybe a floating flute or shawm.

Dress: period fabrics.

And... finally... a horrible joke, with my humblest apologies prior to inflicting it on you... You may want to just scroll past this...

Why were the Middle Ages called the Dark Ages?

Because there were so many knights.