(Close Window)
Topic: Comedy Folding Chair
Hey, I saw this performed a while back at a magic shop and didn't really have a reason to pick it up then, but now I do, so I'm looking for it. The shop has since gone out of business and I can't seem to locate this chair.
I'm sure most have seen it, it's a folding chair that seems like it is hard to sit up and keeps collapsing. It's a pretty funny bit. I've found the one at Steven's Magic Emporium, but I was looking for one with a more simple folding chair look. Anyone see these out there?

Joey
Have you tryed hocus-pocus. or try a search on google.
Message: Posted by: Derek Rutt Creations (May 2, 2005 10:28AM)
Hank lee do one called The Chair.I have used one for many years and it is always a funny bit of business.
Message: Posted by: The Village Idiots (May 2, 2005 11:38AM)
I have the one from Stevens and it looks fine to me. I went through two chairs in ten years. Beat the hell out of the first one before retiring it and buying a new one. Worked like a charm. I don't use it anymore but it was great for kids shows. It just lives in storage with all my other toys I'm not using.

I used the chair to build tension. Trying to keep the kids quiet while I tried to fix it. It gave the little girls the giggles. The thing I don't like about it is, how stupid can you be that you can't fix the chair? Now if you were to be holding something like a spring animal, it would make more sense. Giving a clear reason why it is difficult for you to fix the chair.

Will
[quote]
On 2005-05-02 12:38, The Village Idiots wrote:

The thing I don't like about it is, how stupid can you be that you can't fix the chair?
Will
[/quote]

But...that's exactly WHY it's so funny. Kids love that stuff.

it's called The Chair:

AVAILABLE AGAIN

Used by TV's original Balloonatic, Dwight Damon, the chair is back and itís better than ever. This is a honest-to-goodness laugh-riot. A comedy routine with an ordinary looking folding metal chair that has been gimmicked to collapse at your slightest touch!

The laughs begin as you try to open the chair and sit down. Pieces swing around and tip up and down. You even get your arm and leg tangled in the chair parts. This visual comedy of errors continues right up until the hilarious surprise ending. This is the funny stuff that your audience will enjoy seeing!

It's at hocus-pocus

John
Message: Posted by: The Village Idiots (May 4, 2005 12:14AM)
Perhaps this thread should be under "little darlings" then. It is a kids show routine unless there is some sense of it. That is my point. Why wouldn't an adult, in front of other adults, be able to open a chair unless there was some obstacle?

Will
It's not a kid or an adult routine, it's not really a "routine" at all. It's like an on-going gag.

If your act calls for a chair every so often grab The Chair. Then do a few skits with it, look disgusted and grab a real chair. Or, after you fall thru it a few times look at the spec and say, "It's for you anyway...here, have a seat."

Or something like that.

John

Oh, BTW Will, do you have a wooden one? Wanna sell it perhaps?

John
I again view it as more than just a kids routine. It is in fact just a prop to be used however you want to put it into a routine. Sure it would be for kids if you acted like you couldn't put a simple chair together, but there are other ways to do it. Act like the chair is defective and make a bit on that. Without going into too much detail, there's quite a lot of humor to be had for adults too. All in what you want to do with it.
Message: Posted by: The Village Idiots (May 5, 2005 11:00PM)
Difference of opinion on this one guys. I did stand up for three years in night clubs, before and during the same time I performed at hundreds of schools, birthdays, and libraries. Now I work cruise ships and they are family. Wouldn't perform the chair now. To many adults.

I have a metal one and would be happy to sell it John. P.M. me. It's practically new, from Stevens, as it was the replacement for the one I used for many years. Along the way the old one was mended with welds but eventually looked like trash so I sold it along with my routine to a theme park which has now put the routine in at least three parks across the states. Wheh, it's hard to come up with an run on sentence like that one. This is why I have such a strong opinion about this routine.

Adults do not want a dummied down show. That insults them.
Maybe I feel so strongly because my ship ports out of N.Y. and those folks can be the best or the worst crowd. One min. they love you the next they don't and if you do get a standing O then you rocked because they don't give them easy. The New Yorkers are a challenge and I like that about them. They can also be the loudest or the quietest. Ya never know.

The new chair is still in the box and I saw it at my warehouse today. Wow, I know where something is?

Agreed to disagree?

Will

You know, I just posted this 10 minutes ago and am already retracting my opinion. Not that I am wrong but I got to thinking, as I was packing for tomorrow's night shows, maybe it is like my animal trap routine? The chair, to you friends. I developed the trap routine for kids shows, if you can beleive it, and then worked into an adult comedy show routine. Now I do have a partner that adds to the adultness in a way. He comes out blathering about how I don't feel any pain as I jump around,, any way. Maybe you guys are right, it's just not like that for me.
Agreed. I can't really vouche for the chair as it's just in the planning phase and I have a routine in my head which should work. But as we all know some things that should work sometimes do not. Actually the first time we do it for just adults will probably be a comedy club. So I really won't know at all until then. You may indeed be right, but nothing ventured nothing gained. =)
Whatever it is... I think it does not worth the effort to carry such a big prop to show for a gig like this that ends up to nothing...

Well, I already need 2 trips to move things from my car to the party venue, I don't want to make it 3 trips...