(Close Window)
Topic: And these are our brightest students !
A good example of Caldinis The Priciple of Social Proof..which states that "we view a behaviour as correct in a given situation to the degree that we see others performing it".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/05/02/noxf02.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/05/02/ixhome.html

Influence by Robert B Cialdini an excellent book highly recommended to all

tells you how to avoid being taken in by peddlers,fund raisers and other types of operator.

Howard
You can sum this up in one word. Lemmings :lol:
Iven :patty:
Ha Ha...how appropriate !!

Most just jumped..unfortunate for those who "dived" into 2ft of water. at least a "belly flop" would only have hurt a lot!

Howard
I was actually there performing magic for some of the May ball students! This happens every year and it's just one of those traditions that happen at some places. It doesn't look dangerous but obviously when the water level is low it can be. Unfortunately the authorities always try to ban it and in previous years the ban has been ignored without any real problems. If the police let young students behave like young students unless it really is dangerous perhaps the kids would take more notice of warnings when there is a real danger as appears to be the case this year.
If you see a person jump off a bridge...and you decide to do it too...just because he did...what is that called?

Jumping to contusions!
A student once asked me the time honored question...

"Mr. G, if we all jumpped off a bridge would you jump too?"

With no pause at all I replied,

"I don't know, lets all go to a bridge and find out."

(Grin)