(Close Window)
Topic: What's your favourite magic accessory?
HI all
I want to know what YOUR favourite magic accessory is and why. It could be anything from a wand to a close up mat.

Mine would be a wand and cape because I like the traditional magical look. But that's just me. I also love to collect wands. I now have about 50. lol
What an odd question! I really like odd questions, as they take me out of the usual ruts.

Let's ask some other questions to clarify: what would constitute an accessory vs. say, a gimmick? For example, there are many fine effects using close-up mats. John Kennedy has a simple one where a wave of your hand causes a rolled mat to unroll. Is the mat in that case an accessory or a prop?

Given that, I'm not sure I have a favorite accessory. I'ts like when I'm asked my favorite card. I don't have one - just whatever suits my purposes at the moment. (But...if you ask me to name a card, I'll almost always say [i]four of hearts.[/i] It's a long story involving Warren Zevon, my favorite singer, whom I'm sure you've never heard of. That doesn't make the four of hearts my favorite card, though, just the one I most frequently name when asked for a card with no restrictions.)
I like close up mats...they aren't restricted to one purpose
Definitely my wand. It's the best piece of misdirection ever created!
T****tip

..if that counts.
I'm not certain of the context of "Accessory", but (because it's not really an effect all by itself) I would choose an Okito Box in it's various forms. It's one of those things you casually pick up and play with and occasionally come up with a new(?) move...
Hmmm, another good topic of discussion!

Tough one, I gotta tell ya...well, let's narrow it down to my top 5 favorites:

1. T. Tip...it's usually in my pocket with a silk and a "mismade" dollar bill.
2. Wire ball holders (2) for the Multiplying Golf Ball set (Ireland's)
3. Palmo (Rice's Ball-type dye tube). Best 18" silk color change ever!
4. ITR (as a back-up). When my "wooley" breaks!
5. Pocket mirror. For "Twilight" (coin trick) and "Twilight Angels" (card trick), both are Paul Harris effects.

Those are my top 5!

Doug
I've got to narrow it down to 3, depending on what I'm doing.

1. Card Holder - keeps my deck of cards in good shape in my pockets.
2. Wand - I've got a nice Harry Potter style wand that I love!
3. Close-up Mat - I've been using a nice blue mouse pad and it's worked out great.
Hmmm. Interesting.

I'd have to say that a nice magic wand always seems to draw attention and nothing says magic like one.

-=tabman
My hat.

~michael
And nothing says magic like [i]Michael's Hat[/i].

-=tabman
Perhaps Michael's Brother is really Willy Wonka.
For me it would probably be my closeup mat. Everything just looks so smooth when performing on one.
"... I have a Golden Ticket!..."
When Barclay Shaw passed away and they auctioned his stuff in Vegas I bought several items; his Cremation Illusion (for Paul Kozak's show) and his wands. One of them was a wand designed to fire a 22 blank. I must admit this was my favorite accessory while I had it but let me warn you, don't use it doing close-up!!! It will scare the bejibbers out of your audience!!!

-=tabman
Without a doubt -TT
Next would be 4 silver dollars
Last would be a deck of red bikes!

Scott Compton
My Dean Dill's set
A Silk or a handkerchief... looks innocent and helps a lot in many ways.
Easy one! T TIP and a bank note.
I'm surprised no one mentioned this...

Loops.

They're my personal favorite just because they are easy to carry around and work really well for a number of effects. And they're just plain fun to play with :)

As long as you define this as an accessory...
Definitely my Suitcase table ... that does count as an accessory ... doesn't it?

Dan.
[quote]
On 2005-07-11 11:40, tabman wrote:
One of them was a wand designed to fire a 22 blank.
-=tabman
[/quote]

Does it have to be a blank? Talk about a heckler stopper. HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

Doug
I'd say:

TT
Silk
Deck of Cards
Johnson 50 cent Shell and 4 matching coins
Ton Onasaka's Coin Purses
My close-up wand made of Purple Heart with Ebony Tips
1. A pen
2. Business cards
3. Postit Notes

I hope this helps.
My beautiful assistant is my favorite.
My beautifully framed gold and red Alexander's and Thurston's reproduction posters. And my SAM membership! :)
I have ten of them, on the ends of my hands. And one inside my head, which is the most important one of all. But as far as those that I was not born with, I would have to say TT and rubber bands.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
Is Lee referring to Loops?
I also prefer the loops they are a great distraction while I load or ditch palmed coins or something from the last effect. just move a fork or turn some sun glasses and poof your redy for the next effect.
My Chinese coin that used to belong to Don Alan, one of my heros from 40 + years ago.

GG
My wand and TT.
The new close-up case a just bought. One of those $25 Home Depot aluminum briefcase/toolkits. I was dubious at first, but fits my needs waaaay better than all my other expensive cases.

Stephen Grey
My Magic Coin I never leave home with out it.
Does the wizard pk ring count?
Hmmmmmmm...?
Coins
Cards
A TT

AND SORRY! I HATE WANDS!!!
My favorite accessory would have to be my Kohler/Fitch holdout! Doesn't go everywhere with me but when it does, miracles happen.

Rudy
I don't leave the house without my TT, ITR, and a deck of bikes. With just these 3 items I can perform for hours. Best of all, I can fit everything in just one pocket. that's what I love about all of that. I put these guys in my pocket and I'm ready anytime, anywhere to perform an incredible array of impromptu effects.
My custom made table.
I guess mine would be my TT and silks.
Message: Posted by: The Wizard of Hearts (Mar 15, 2006 07:48PM)
Absolutely has to be my new TABMAN wand. Oh what a beauty...
A Magic Wand
Skinner's Edge Card Creme & a new (or slightly old) deck of Tally Ho or Bicycle brand playing cards in my Porper..I never leave home without them!
:bikes: :bluebikes: :bikes:
<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>
Mine would be TT, ropes and Stealth Assassin Wallet! (before SAW it was Pimpernel Notecase)
My table and mat made me really feel like a magician. Even when they are just sitting in my office/practice room, I sometimes make little still life arrangements of props just because they look so cool.

-Daniel
If I could only choose one accessory amoung all the magic accessories it would have to be my mind is my favourite magic accessory. If I'm allowed to list more than one magic accessory but I would have to say, coins, cards, T.T., I.T.R. and silks.
My wood vanishing wand set (using more and more) and the Wonder Mouse (used almost daily).
This is a tough question. It's kind of like asking what my favorite tool is...a hammer or a screw driver. It all depends on what you're going to do with it. If you're going to install a screw, obviously a hammer would not be useful (my favorite tool).

Bob
Hmm, I'd have to say my wand because I just don't feel like a magician without it.
Then I'd follow that with my t***** boss. For true impromptu a couple of rubber bands is always useful. They appear mundane and are great when someone gives you the "I hear you are a magician, so show me something." bit we all get from time to time.
I've always liked the Topit..and now since I have a new Cloutier Topit installed in my jacket..I'd have to say that!:)

All the Best...

Doug
[quote]

I want to know what YOUR favourite magic accessory is and why. It could be anything from a wand to a close up mat. [/quote]

My Assassin's Pouch. Though the day-to-day content varies, it carries the right amount and mix I want to take with me daily to produce a bit of impromptu magic at work, at parties, etc. Drive my wife nuts, of course...
Mine would have been my Dragon Nite Club table. I've been hearing some people deride the "cheese" factor because it's too bright and gaudy, but I liked it! Note, past tense. I still have the screen, but the table top and shelves have gotten lost. I have plans to repair them as soon as I can get plywood from Home Depot... unless you're Houdini, don't hold your breath!
Message: Posted by: The Great Smartini (Jan 27, 2007 11:51PM)
My favourite accessory would be my Wacky Wolf Side Table. Great to perform with and very wacky looking and distinictive. I'm also kind of partial to my Woofle Duster.
Hi there,

My favourite accessory would be the purse frame! I produce everything from it, and my friends still haven't worked out how it works!

Many thanks

Magical Mark Watson
(mark1991)
TT
Close Up Mat....
Jeez - there's a lot of wands in here! Is it just me then that hates them? (too cheesy)

Oh, my fave accessory - my (Martin Breese) drawer box!
Now isn't that kind of Roger. His favourite prop is one of my drawer boxes. They are my favourites as well but the tragedy is that the genius who makes them for me is so laid back that he doesn't want to make any more. So Roger, my dear friend, there are only about 25 of these amazing drawer boxes out there and, at the moment, (and probably for ever), there are no more to be had. I used to give out the last one to people wyho told me that they could equal the craftsmanship .. and could they? Absolutely not. Took the sample to pieces and produced something inferior at ten times the price. So cherish your Martin Breese Drawer box as it will be worth ten times the price very soon. And also thank you for naming it as your favourite prop!

Martin Breese, UK
Hi Martin,

Wow!! Your second post in over two years! I'm honoured. :)

But seriously, credit given where it's due my friend! It's a piece of genius - and I only ever use it for an Invisible Deck routine. But hey, we run the risk of changing the subject here!

:)
PK ring and a tiny magnet.
Good for impromptu chop cup at a dinner table.

TT

Topit
Oh, after four years, it's time to update this and put it back to the top of the list for some new users.

I'll add sponge balls. Great accessory, multiple routines and tricks with them. They never go out of style. And I'm classifying them as an accessory.

Also nice to see so many people love wands. Always liked them. Thought they were out of style. Obviously not.
My QB2!
My TKO
My favorite magic accessory would be my mercury wand!
Second to Miss Direction, my favorite magic accessory is my dropper.

Bob Sanders
My Outlaw Showdown wallet!
Boy, Make the World your magical accessory !

>.<
My TKO or TT. Both are great for impromptu
-pen
-business cards
-Sw**i Gimmick

David
I love my Outlaw Showdown Wallet. A whole mini show can come from that baby! Plus, its always with me, as I use it as my regular everyday wallet.
LBB (Lincoln's Best Boon) is my favourite.
The Infinity Wallet with a few of my own additions to it
My tt hopping halfs and my csb
Gotta go with the thu** tip!
Yup!
The good old thu** tip!
For the bill switch etc..
as well as, COPPER SIVVER BRASS TRANSPOSITION.
Favorite everyday accessory items: Jumbo Coin, QB 2.0, and TT. Favorite non-everyday items: Holdout, Various Magic Wallets, and Table/Servante.
Coinvexed is always on me ready to go.
Jet Set Backdrop fixture (and a good selection of drapes courtesy of Walmart - Halloween alternates between black and orange, Christmas alternates between Red and Green). You can also hang a sign, decoration, ornament, etc on the center pole. This year the Halloween stores had huge scene setters that also could be hung from the jet set, but you had to watch the light coming from behind since they were not as opaque as curtains.

Abbott's does sell drapes that are designed to fit on the jet set but they are solid colors (IE - red on one side or black on the other side) but I like the idea of alternating the colors, usually 3 or 4 walmart drapes on each side.
Favorite, or most used?

I like The Raven. I also like the Jack Miller Holdout. They're similar in function, but I use them for totally different things.

Doug