(Close Window)
Topic: Magic Mints
Has anyone tried this Oz Pearlman effect out yet? There's a couple things I'm curious of though...

1. Is this an actual Oz Pearlman effect? Really?
2. I've seen hundreds of effects with the same concept of "linking" two objects, is there an original effect that this is just riding the tail of?
I don't believe it is an Oz effect. Some say it is a ripoff of Linking Lifesavers (I wouldn't know as I don't own either).
No it's not an Oz effect. [rant on] Some people have yet to learn that there was magic before Penguin. (krist0pher, this is not directed at you. You were just one more victim of the "hype")

These are the same people who believe David Blaine invented "Two Card Monte" and that Jay and Oz rank right up there with Dai Vernon as the "most influential magician of our time."[rant off]

Use the "search" feature here, or on any other forum to hear the sordid details, rumors, allegations, accusations, etc... between Penguin, Magic Makers and Colin Gilbert, the originator of the effect.

Check [url=http://www.online-visions.com/michaeljay/0504neb.html]here[/url] to hear one telling of the tale.
See the link in my signature! The creator is quoted about Magic Mints being a fake. Magic Mints is a fake.

Where dose it say it's an Oz effect.

Dave-
They also believe "Two Card Monte" is the effects real name. If Oz and Jay are up with Vernon either it's the end of the world or it's a different Vernon.

The penguin forms are a riot to read. Don't say I'm promoting fakes by looking around penguin I am fully against ROBbing and STIFFing but you have to stay on top of what the "enemy" is up to so it's more like spying.

P.s. Where can I buy the original?
Yes, it is the not so famous Lucas Vernon. Very handy with pipes and stuff. The best plumber east of Jersey and a helluva guy!
Maybe it's Oz Vernon or Jay Vernon...
Message: Posted by: the_houdini_jester (May 19, 2005 08:35PM)
I don't think it's Oz's but it's a good effect for people I do it to.
Oh no, someone actually bought a fake and likes it...
Hmm.... Penguin has a couple of actual effects that are not ripped off but this one was ripped off. It is exactly the same as Linking Lifesavers... I would like to get Linking Lifesavers but where?
Colin Gilbert originated Linking Lifesavers. He raised a big stink with Penguin about their knockoff. Penguin did a shuffle about it, but still produce the knockoff. But remember, they do have a foundation that helps underprivileged kids.

Right!
Where can I buy Linking Lifesavers?
You can get the gimmicked one at http://www.magictricks.co.uk http://www.penguinmagic.com

And a ungimmicked version at http://www.alanrorrison.tk Some us brands may not work but all uk versions do
Right now, PenguinMagic is giving away Magic Mint for free with order over 50 bucks. This offer expires 5/27.
Hmmm, interesting... Not even Penguin can get anyone to buy their "less costly alternative." I wonder, could it be you do actually get what you pay for???
[quote]
On 2005-05-22 23:43, PortMagician wrote:
You can get the gimmicked one at http://www.magictricks.co.uk http://www.penguinmagic.com

And a ungimmicked version at http://www.alanrorrison.tk Some us brands may not work but all uk versions do
[/quote]
Anywhere in the U.S. that is not Magic Mints

[quote]
On 2005-05-22 23:43, PortMagician wrote:
[/quote]
Will it work with Lifesavers?
The ungimmicked version? He says "it works with some of them" I'm assuming he's talking about the white mint version.
I have a good time with the Magic Mints. Kids love them
[quote]
On 2005-05-28 23:16, pucker316 wrote:
Kids love them
[/quote]

I bet Colin Gilbert dosn't.

From Tim Ellis's Magic Fakes Page (see the link in my signature):

Statement from Colin Gilbert regarding Magic Linking Mints:

"Magic-Mints never has nor will ever be 'approved' or 'authorised' by me. If you require any further proof or information please contact me by email - colinxgilbert@aol.com "
Magic Mints are in the "cool box" @ Penguin for under $3.00. Just picked mine up after a long internal debate. Over 50 reviews on them on penguin and they're all wonderful. Of course I know the method right off the bat but still a lil' something fun to do while popping some lifesavers. As a magician you have to have little effects like these in your arsenal. So impromptu and visual. WIll be fun to perform during "off beat moments" or breaks from bigger routines. Been meaning to get my hands on Sankey's 3 Ring Circus as well for a linking effect. Can anybody comment on performances and discuss the function/details/ideas regarding the product instead of where it originated and who deserves credit? I mean .. continue your discussion if you want .. I just come here for tips and thoughts about how to improve performances and thoroughly enjoy sifting through the various routines.
[quote]
On 2012-12-03 12:23, TheMag1cian wrote:
Can anybody comment on performances and discuss the function/details/ideas regarding the product instead of where it originated and who deserves credit? I mean .. continue your discussion if you want .. I just come here for tips and thoughts about how to improve performances and thoroughly enjoy sifting through the various routines.
[/quote]

If you happen to come up with your own effect put it on the market and have it stolen by M.M. or another company you may have a change of heart and sing a different tune. Knowing where effects came from and who had what first is important. You may hide your head in the sand if you wish but it doesn't help your growth in magic at all.
With 50 plus years in magic, and having thousands of tricks over the years. I believe this trick to be one of the worst from a magic effect standpoint. The fact that you have to completely cover the gimmicked mint is the problem. This is the same problem with the Himber Linking Finger Rings. Being the link is "not in the open" like the famous Chinese Linking Steel Rings, this causes the idea, as mentioned above, that there is a "trick" of sorts to it. So they will never be totally convinced that the impossible just happened.

Even the Japanese magician Cyril Takayama used a stooge to get the point across on one of his television shows. He actually handed the Linked Mints to a girl to look at. Now if you can do that, you may have something.

Magic Makers sells the trick only with basic instructions, that suffer greatly. I cannot believe anyone would attempt to do the effect from those printed instructions.

At least Penguin Magic is making an attempt to give adequate instructions for the trick. The trick is bad, very bad, and I think it is best to be left alone for what it is, that is something to be given away free with an order.

You know the trick is suffering from poor logic, that is why you are here on the Café wanting to justify why it is a good effect, and if anyone has solved the problems it suffers from.

I do not agree that we need effects like this, but I do use strong effects that are fillers that stun an audience.
[b]You don't need to hide anything with our AmaZering, linking finger ring from Joe Porper.[/b]
[quote]
On 2012-12-03 16:32, Bill Hegbli wrote:
With 50 plus years in magic, and having thousands of tricks over the years. I believe this trick to be one of the worst from a magic effect standpoint. The fact that you have to completely cover the gimmicked mint is the problem. This is the same problem with the Himber Linking Finger Rings. Being the link is "not in the open" like the famous Chinese Linking Steel Rings, this causes the idea, as mentioned above, that there is a "trick" of sorts to it. So they will never be totally convinced that the impossible just happened.

Even the Japanese magician Cyril Takayama used a stooge to get the point across on one of his television shows. He actually handed the Linked Mints to a girl to look at. Now if you can do that, you may have something.

Magic Makers sells the trick only with basic instructions, that suffer greatly. I cannot believe anyone would attempt to do the effect from those printed instructions.

At least Penguin Magic is making an attempt to give adequate instructions for the trick. The trick is bad, very bad, and I think it is best to be left alone for what it is, that is something to be given away free with an order.

You know the trick is suffering from poor logic, that is why you are here on the Café wanting to justify why it is a good effect, and if anyone has solved the problems it suffers from.

I do not agree that we need effects like this, but I do use strong effects that are fillers that stun an audience.
[/quote]

lol You guys are hilarious! I know it's not going to win any awards okay. Just saying I get good reactions from kids and if I can make people smile then yes, I will promote it regardless of where it originated. Are you guys police officers? Investigators? Becasue this is a magicians forums where nothing is objective and everything is subjective. So allow me to have my subjective opinion please. It's a cute little fly by trick that works for me, regardless of what man came up with it in the mid 1900's or whatever. Yes, if it was my effect stolen I may have a different opinion and pursue it legally but this isn't the case, so why am I not allowed to enjoy/discuss my experiences with the effect? Sounds liek a bunch of grumpy magicians in these rooms lately.
[quote]
On 2012-12-03 15:11, RS1963 wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-12-03 12:23, TheMag1cian wrote:
Can anybody comment on performances and discuss the function/details/ideas regarding the product instead of where it originated and who deserves credit? I mean .. continue your discussion if you want .. I just come here for tips and thoughts about how to improve performances and thoroughly enjoy sifting through the various routines.
[/quote]

If you happen to come up with your own effect put it on the market and have it stolen by M.M. or another company you may have a change of heart and sing a different tune. Knowing where effects came from and who had what first is important. You may hide your head in the sand if you wish but it doesn't help your growth in magic at all.
[/quote]

Wow! Not hiding my head in any sand! No I didn't do hours of research but c'mon really? Sorry to the creator if it was stolen but Im having fun with it so I hope no hard feelings with the original creator that I picked this up. I think I'll go to another topic room now as this just isn't whatI was here for. Thanks for the delightful, stimulating and ever so intriguing conversation guys!
[quote]
On 2012-12-11 08:14, TheMag1cian wrote:

Wow! Not hiding my head in any sand! No I didn't do hours of research but c'mon really? Sorry to the creator if it was stolen but Im having fun with it so I hope no hard feelings with the original creator that I picked this up. I think I'll go to another topic room now as this just isn't whatI was here for. Thanks for the delightful, stimulating and ever so intriguing conversation guys!
[/quote]

To anyone new to magic who's visiting here: That's a deplorable attitude he's advocating. Don't go down that path. Maintain a higher level of ethics than this person.
Okay, here is the most logical reason why Penguin sells Linking Mints. It is made by the Rip Off kings in magic. Magic Makers, they wholesale it to magic dealers for pennies. No real routine is provided, anyway the previous packaging version did not come with any kind of routine.

http://www.magicmakersinc.com/p-78-linking-mints.aspx

I see they have new packaging, so hopefully they have thought of a routine and handling for the props. So if Penguin, Oz Pearlmen, or any of the others created a decent handling, it is their trick. As no handling comes from Magic Methods.

So Penguin did or has not ripped anyone off. They only buy the item wholesaled to them. I consider $4.95 to much for these props as not routine comes with them, and with no routine, there is not trick.
This is the exact routine I use for mints and floss. Justin Flome on Ellen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vdshxjIohg
I thought things were cool with Penguin now. Are they still selling this effect in a dubious manner or not? Does anybody know what they currently say for themselves about this? 'Cause they're hawking them front and center today.
(((crickets)))

I've noticed I've been getting no responses to my last many posts. Is this thing on? :)