(Close Window)
Topic: Paid to watch
I was working at TGI Friday's at the weekend and whilst performing at a table one of the spectators asked if they could show me a card trick, of course I said go a head and was the first person to start the applause and make the spectator the star.
As this wasn't the first time this has happened this got me thinking about how lucky we are, we get paid to watch someone else perform and as long as you make the spectator feel they did a good job with the 21 card trick you still come away with new friends who will tell the manager what a good time they had with you.
Absolutely right! The problem with most magicians is EGO--they can't stand to let someone else be in the limelight for a minute. What they don't understand is that, in a restaurant gig, you are hired as simply a magician, you are hired to enhance customer relations and build repeat business. Allowing guests to have the spotlight for a few minutes will do just that!

Well done!
I can't agree with both of you more... It happens all the time when I'm working... What cracks me up though, sometimes the person says you wouldn't be interested because you already know everything... That just takes a little coaxing to get them going...

Good job...

RDS
I always admire the initiative and the nerve of a spectator wanting to show you a trick after you just blew everyone away with amazing tricks. I always let them do it and am polite and appreciative when they are done. Most of the time his/her friends will quickly tell them to shut up or stop, which makes it funny. Impromptu spectator shows rule.
If you are paid to entertain the people..... well, you choose they way how you entertain them! "Magic" happens in many ways....

Magixx