(Close Window)
Topic: PS2 or XBOX?
What do you own? Which games do you have? What do you like about your system? And last, where were you on the night of Friday the 13th?
I don't own either.
I can't tell you, because I don't have them.
I was hanging out with a bunch of new age bongo playing people doing magic :bg:

I hope this helps.

:bat:
I don't own either as well. But I am very much interested in buying PS2, because of the new Final Fantasy Games (not be released on pc :cry: ) and the Game "Kingdom Hearts", which looks awesome and is not be released on PC as well :bawl:
We'll see ... Christmas isn't too far away ;)
Game Cube. The grahics are so sharp.

That's if you have to have a console. IMHO a high spec p.c. is much better to own. Does everything including kicking game consoles behind when it comes to games.

Cheers

PT
PS2, PS2, PS2....
I have a variation of games, from fighting (tekken 4), to sports (NFL 2K3), and driving (Grand Turismo 3), action (GTA 3), well, you get the point. PS2 has the best variaty of games, and graphics are good enough (better then game cube, not better then XboX though). But graphics dont make a system, plus, all XboX games suck exept Halo...

BTW
Just because I was at hooters that night doesnt make me a bad guy...
XBOX all the way!!!!! Halo is a fun game. I love the graphics, and the fact that you can store tons and tons of CDs on the XBOX and play them during your game. You can't do that with PS2! Fri. the 13th I levitated myself across the Grand Cannyon, and moved an Island. Wait...maybe I was actually just watching old magic specials. :giggles:

Justin Flom :pepsi:
PS2 is da bomb
Too many games
Its games are mostly origional unlike the X-Box and Game Cube it also has a unique look to it. (not fat & chunky)
friday the 13th I was preforming Voodo zone for a friend, he flipped! :eek:
I forgot to mention that if you have to have a console then I would plumb for the PS2 purely because of the additional DVD capability, that's got to be a big bonus.

PT
http://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=967&forum=32&8

This might help :bg:
I have all 3 systems. Gamecube, PS2 and the Xbox. I can tell you the Xbox is the best of the 3 systems that I own.
PS2, the selection of games is great!
PS2 is GREAT! :kewl:
I have a PSOne + Sony Screen (over 300 games, many rare rpg's) 3 DreamCasts (over 140 games) 3 N64's (54 games) an XBox (14 games) and a Cube (12 games) Oh, a Lynx (10 games) and GBA (14 games). Graphically the Cube is the best. Playability belongs to the n64 (Perfect Dark, GoldenEye, Conker's, Banjo, Mario Kart etc.) I sold my PS2 (plus 26 games) two weeks ago, too many crap titles. The XBox has the edge over the PS2. The GBA is really only good for RPG's. The Atari Lynx is just retro. I also have over 1000 pc games gathering dust.

Can't remember what happened on Fri 13th!

Frank. :D
Brian Damage,
uhm, what is a "Sony Screen"? Monitor?
:confused: :)
...Well, it's an LCD screen that attaches to the PSOne, Sony's own version. You didn't know that?

Frank.
[quote]
...PS2 has the best variaty of games, and graphics are good enough (better then game cube, not better then XboX though...[/quote]

Yes, the PS2 does have many, many games. How many of these are AAA titles is another matter. You reckon the graphics on the ps2 are *better* than the Cube???? I think you need your eyes testing :realnerdy:

The Cube version of 'Burnout' for example is even better than the XBox version. In fact, the Cube is rated highly by developers for its sheer graphical power and ease of software development.

Frank. :devilish:
Devils Advocaat,
nope, never heard of it. I plug my PSX to my TV ... does the LCD Screen have better Quality? I mean where is the advantage? my TV is bigger, that's for sure :firedevil:
Strangely enough, some games 'play' better on the screen, Colin McRae 2, some RPG's and most other driving games. You would have to try one first though, it's just a matter of portability. All my consoles (PSOne, Cube, n64 and XBox) are played through my PC monitor, this is far superior to using a large TV screen, you really must try it - you'll never use the TV again. I use something called a Video CheeseBox for this.

http://www.omegamultimedia.com/products/tv_one/cheesebox.htm

You want to pick up the Xbox. I think xbox is the best of the systems, and i've owned every system since the 8 bit nintendo.
If you have a family with yound kids, you may want to get a gamecube ((yes I have a cube too)) because they have many games that appeal to children as well as familiar games such as mario and zelda that appeal to both young and old.
The PS2 has graphics, sound, and a very large library of games, and many of the games are on par with the cube and box, but developers have just about pulled every once of developing power out of it, and the best games you see now...are about as good as it's going to get, while the cube and box are only first year in, developers are still gaging potential, learning dev shortcuts, and perks of the individual systems. With the beauty of halo and doa3 being first generation console systems, can you imagine the power that developers are going to be able to pull from the xbox and cube years down the road.
In my opinion xbox is the best. :firedevil:
Devils Advocaat,
wow, that device is really cool! I wonder if something like that is available in Europe/Germany, too?
btw, what framerate do you get on the Monitor with the PSX? I hope it's more than the usual TV framerate ...
Well, Im not going to go into all the games I play, but I love my sony2.. Its all I play, except for my super nintendo of course :D
Neuromancer, the Cheesebox *is* cool! Like I said, use one of these and you'll never go back to the TV. Framerates are not an issue as such, especially as 99% of PAL stuff does not run in 60htz mode.

Do a google search for Euro. suppliers. The Cheesebox is not the only device though; check this site for <Universal VGA Box>, it came out after the Cheesebox and looks better - and is MUCH cheaper!

http://www.videogamecompany.com/

(just scroll down the main page).

The Sony Screen for the PSOne (not PSX) is no different from TV or VGA monitor.

X-Box all the way!
It has been almost 2 years since I originally posted this topic. I finally picked one.

XBOX!

This is an incredible machine. I intend on purchasing Xbox-Live as soon as possible. I have plenty of games to last me a while, and I have Driver3 on hold right now at my local shop.

What is the Xbox game you are anticipating most?

Brian
I only have a PS2, and I've had it for almost a year and a half.

I own 29 PS2 games. Some titles include, "Onimusha", "Ape Escape 2", "Dark Cloud", "Grand Theft Auto III", "Hitman", "Siren", Silent Hill 2", "Silent Hill 3", "Resident Evil: Code Veronica X", "Myst: Exile", and others. Out of the 29 games I own, I've only completed about 3 of them. Just don't have a lot of time to sit and play through all the levels, etc.!

I buy a lot of these games for the creativity that goes into designing them, making the puzzles, creating the artwork, etc.. But I buy them mainly to appreciate the creativity behind each title. Same reason I buy a lot of magic and mentalism effects -- to appreciate the creativity and thought that goes into designing something unusual, fun, and intereseting!

P.S. I just finished the PC game "Syberia", which I bought about a year ago and started playing about a year ago. Finally got around to completing my saved game that's been stored on my computer's hardrive!
I love Grand Theft Auto 3 and Vice City. They have to be two of my favorites. To follow that would definately be True Crime: Streets of L.A., Spongebob Squarepants (hey, don't be dissing the sponge now), Halo, Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow.

I am anticipating Halo 2, Goldeneye: Rogue Agent, and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

Anyone here ever watch X-Play? It is a video game review show on the Tech-TV network. Morgan Webb has got to be the best thing since the Xbox. :) Shh... Don't mention that to my girlfriend. :)
What do you own? PS2
Which games do you have? Many
What do you like about your system? The best games
And last, where were you on the night of Friday the 13th? can't remember
Haha Brian, funny you should bring that up, because every time I am flipping through the channels and I see X-play, I say to myself "damn I am proud that girl plays videogames." Morgan Webb is definitely a hot one, and I was also surprised to see she had a pic and an article in this month's Maxim. Looks like she's going on to bigger and better things.

As far as systems go, I am an also an X-box man. I have had it ever since it came out, and I love it. I have too many games to even name, but some of the ones that I have beaten up recently are Ninja Gaiden and Splinter Cell:PT. Halo is the ultimate classic of course, and I have also been playing around with the GTA's too. I don't have as much time for games anymore, but I still try and play when I get the chance. Another fave of mine is Shenmue II (Shenumue I on DC rocked too).

I had X-box live for a while about a year ago, but my school capped our internet so I couldn't even use it. Now that I am going to be living off campus, I plan on re-signing up and taking advantage of the 2-month free trial :) I want to play around with Splinter Cell and the upcoming Halo 2 on the net, because they are mostly multiplayer games.

You know what we should do, is create a thread with everybody who has x-box live. Then we can list our gamertags and play with each other. That would be cool, although I don't have it yet like I said :)
Haha, we could be playing xbox live with each other and talk magic at the same time.
Only kidding!
Brian
PS2.
Buy Grand Theft Auto double pack. It's the best game you'll ever buy in your life!
Ps2 may have a better selection but Gamecube is smaller easier to carry, better graphics, the controllers are easier to hold and to use, I could go on and on but in conclusion, Get GAMECUBE(Got to go, I'm going to go play my awesome Gamecube)

But If I hadto pick PS2 or X-box I would choose PS2

David
Wow, in the nearly 3 years since I started the post, I owned an xbox, sold an xbox, and now I have a gamecube.
Don't get me wrong, Xbox is incredible. At the time I needed to sell something to pay for some high bills. I got it for 149.00 new, I turned around and sold it 8 months later for 291.00 on ebay with 11 games. I went to a pawn shop two days ago because I was having video game withdrawls. I picked up a Nintendo Gamecube for 59 dollars. It works great. The graphics are flawless and seems just as good as Xbox. I just don't like the minimal selection. But in a few months, I think I will have enough games to keep me content.

I love ebay. I bought a brand new Paper Mario: "The thousand year door" for only 13.00 as opposed to 49.00 at Toys R us.

I don't think I will ever buy new when it comes to game systems again. Its a waste of money to only have it drop a year later to a price 150 dollars less than what you originally paid.
Hmmm...let's see I have a nintendo 64 with well over a dozen games, two PS ones with over a hundred games and one PS2 with about 50 games. I have six kids and one grandchild so video games are the big thing in my house.

johnny
PSP (Play Station Personal) will be released also in US very soon. You can look forawrd to its beautiful display.

However, the game I played on PSP was very dull. Even they use a super hardware, a software can be no good. It's just like Magic.

Hideo Kato

P.S.
MicroSoft is planning to release next version of XBOX, and they hired Japanese game creator. I think this strategy won't work as hiring a good creator won't change philosophy of MicroSoft itself.
[quote]
On 2005-02-26 08:30, Hideo Kato wrote:

MicroSoft is planning to release next version of XBOX, and they hired Japanese game creator. I think this strategy won't work as hiring a good creator won't change philosophy of MicroSoft itself.
[/quote]

Hello, what is Microsoft's philosophy? :) Anyway, I am looking forward to the release of the new Xbox. However, I will wait until it drops a hundred or so dollars.
I take back what I said about loving ebay. I hate myself for a foolish mistake I made. I was thinking that I purchased the game Paper Mario, I read the fine print, it was for cheat codes. I spent 13.00 dollars on CHEAT CODES!!! I am an idiot!
[quote]On 2005-02-26 15:02, Brian Proctor wrote:
Hello, what is Microsoft's philosophy?[/quote]
Hiring a famous creator not depending on their creativeness is their philosophy.

Hideo Kato
Although I don't know what is CHEAT CODES, Paper Mario is a very good game. It is much better than the game created by the man MicroSoft hired. (Final Fantasy namely).

Hideo Kato
I love Final Fantasy! The movie sucked, hey when is Advent Children comin' out?

johnny
XBox does have the betta in graphics of the two.

The games are around the same as whatever is released on Xbox, usually has a PS2 version and vice versa. Only trademark games such as Final Fantasy for PS2 or Halo for Xbox will not have their counterpart versions

If I were to buy, I would prefer PS2 as I am a Final Fantasy Freak!! But who knows, one day Xbox might have Final Fantasy too. I mean they do have Fable which rocks too :> Anyway, PSP is out in Japan and PS3 is underway!!

cheerios
[quote]
On 2005-02-25 22:59, Brian Proctor wrote:
I don't think I will ever buy new when it comes to game systems again. Its a waste of money to only have it drop a year later to a price 150 dollars less than what you originally paid.
[/quote]

I have often bought used PS2 games. They are cheaper than the new ones, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. They are like brand-new! I have NEVER brought a used game home only to find that it is unplayable due to scratches, etc..

I am looking forward to the newest Resident Evil game coming to the PS2 this spring. A buddy of mine has already played it on another console, and he said it was awesome!
[quote]
On 2002-10-15 12:20, Neuromancer wrote:
I don't own either as well. But I am very much interested in buying PS2, because of the new Final Fantasy Games (not be released on pc :cry: ) and the Game "Kingdom Hearts", which looks awesome and is not be released on PC as well :bawl:
We'll see ... Christmas isn't too far away ;)
[/quote]

We have "Kingdom Hearts" (we chose the PS2 because of it, we are Disney freaks!) And it's well worth the price! We have the Sims for PS2 but we're not happy with it. We have Spiderman, and a vampire game, "Vampires: Countdown" We tend to buy used games because they're slightly cheaper. (EB Games and Blockbuster are my friends!)
[quote]
On 2005-02-26 01:48, johnnymystic wrote:
Hmmm...let's see I have a nintendo 64 with well over a dozen games, two PS ones with over a hundred games and one PS2 with about 50 games. I have six kids and one grandchild so video games are the big thing in my house.

johnny
[/quote]

I have an N64 and a Sega Genesis. I have a Nintendo VGS with a huge tower of games, but I can't get the system to power up! I'm thinking about eBay to find a new one!
Hey Mandrake...my 5 yr. old son spilled a whole glass of water inside my N64 and it still works!

johnny
Gamecube is worth buying just for these games alone:

Super Smash Bros. Melee
Metroid Prime 1&2
All Zeldas

Some of the finest games around, only available on GCN. Also Gamecube has UNDENYABLY The best controllers. So comfortable to hold.

Best system of all time though? SNES
I have a PS2 I use it to play all my PS1 games (only FFX for PS2). My son loves his XBox, I just havn't been able to get into the games that he has for it.
Man Xbox jus enlisted the producer of Final Fantasy series to create 2 exclusive FF games for them

Urgh..looks like I have to get an Xbox too cos those new titles will be exclusive and I am one heck of a FF lover!!

cheerios
[quote] Posted in 2002:
Well, I have three PS2, three Dreamcasts, two 64s, and two X-boxes (No Game Cubes)

My Oldest son is away at college and he has one set, my youngest has a set here at home. And the spares are taken to my vacation home in the Poconos.

Here's the story, I got from the college kids who know what is going on.

Dreamcast accidently gave their secret code away when they first demoed their systems. The hackers, managed to create a disk which allow copies of all Deamcast Games to be easily copied and used. Not good for Dreamcast.

The PS2 has a chip available on the Internet on how to rewire the system so one can copy all playstation games on their home computer to be used on the PS2. I believe Sony sued and won, however, the chip and installation instructions are still on the Internet.

X-box has tremendous expansion capabilities and comes with an 8 gig hard drive. This is a real advantage.

Which is best, well that depends. My boys play them all and mostly like the newer games because of the graphics, especially for the X-Box.

The X-Box has Multi-BILLianare backing so like Windows, they could easily put the others out of business. For the money I think X-Box is a better deal in expansion capabilities, and DVD usage.

Now I can't speak about Game cube except that my daughter's boyfiend likes that one.
[/quote]

Since this post the above in 2002, I've gotten the Gamecube, and Gameboy Advance, and their Gameboy DS model.

What do we play 98% of the time X-Box. My Oldest is hooked on FF on the Computer, I still like the Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon series, and my youngest (11) beats most players on Halo II. After beating Halo II, it's not my "thing". It's addicting so I try to stay away from game play. Love to play with my magic better.

I do have the latest in Desktop Alienware, so I have the top graphic machine for video games and streaming video (DVD software for making Magic DVDs.)

Like Windows, MS with X-Box, has dominated the market.... again.
[quote]
On 2005-02-26 23:06, Hideo Kato wrote:
Although I don't know what is CHEAT CODES, Paper Mario is a very good game. It is much better than the game created by the man MicroSoft hired. (Final Fantasy namely).

Hideo Kato
[/quote]

Cheat Codes are a list of codes you can use to access different parts of the game. They can be useful, but they're hardly worth $13.00, especially when you don't have the game itself.
[quote]
On 2005-03-02 10:44, johnnymystic wrote:
Hey Mandrake...my 5 yr. old son spilled a whole glass of water inside my N64 and it still works!

johnny
[/quote]

Well, I don't think I'll test that on our N64. But it's the older Nintendo system that won't start up!
I have gamecube, yet Iam interested in some x box games.
Anyone hear of that new x box coming out? When, how much etc?

ANyone own the game FABLE?

Ellen
FABLE KICKS A**!!!! My character ended up being an assassain. I loved going into shops, stealing stuff, and selling it back to the owners!! :) The game is fun...but they took some of the features out when in development..... originally, you could have children......and kill them.....that was taken out for obvious ethical reasons... however, you can still get married...to members of either sex..yes, on the game, at the beginning, it says..."sexuality: unknown" and it does keep track of various things..like the farthest you have kicked a chicken, the number of people you have decapitated, the number of wives you have (yes you can have multiple...and of both genders at the same time) number of times widdowed (mostly by your own doing), number of times divorced, number of times you've had sex, number of times you've been drunk, thrown up, fines in cities, number of innocent civilians killed...and the list goes on and on!!!

As for the new xbox...last I heard was that microsoft is saying sometime before next christmas. as for price structure, I can't say (cuz I don't work for microsoft....yet...). but I can say that it is going to be awesome!! I think MS's goal is to get it out on the market before Sony can get their PS3 out...get an early lead, and a large share of the market so people wont be able to afford the PS3...but what kind of person wouldn't buy both..i mean come on! ;)

Anyway, here's the deal with the xbox and PS2 and GameCube..(i own all 3, partially cuz I'm a Computer Science major, a geek, and...i'm trying to make my own games!!). ignoring the games, and just looking at the hardware aspects...The xbox has superior graphics capabilities over the PS2, as well as a better processor and more ram! (64mb compared to 32mb). for raw power, the X-Box wins, hands down! BUT....FOR SPEED!!!! That award goes to the Gamecube!!! It's got an insaine amount of cache (pronounced "cash" which is very fast memory very close to the processor (or in the processor)). Take a game that is on all 3 systems..Soul Caliber 2 for example... Put it in your PS2, and time the loading...put it in your xbox and time the loading....put it in your gamecube....and you don't have enough time to start your watch!

that being said, my vote for the best overall system, still has to go to the xbox...ok, I might be a little bias...i plan on working for microsoft in the future (One semester left till I have my BS in Computer Science!!! WOOHOO!!!) Anyway, there's my 3 cents! if anybody disagrees...TOO BAD FOR YOU!

Later,
Kevin
I am working my way thru Middle Earth right now and I beat the Balrog, but the grey wizard fell anyways!

johnny
As he should!!!! you can't deviate from the movies taht much in a game...otherwise the other games wouldn't make too much sense! (not gonna say any more in case you havent seen the 2nd LOTR movie) ;)
Firstly, Out of them all I find that Nintendo creates the best games. They still make games where gameplay is more important then graphics. The Drawback with Nintendo is that they have no understanding of western gameplayers and the demands made. They dropped the ball and sony and MS were there to pick it up and run.

My views on the game industry...
99% of all games made today are very poor in gameplay and offer very little challenge in a structured way. Most powerups are too easy too aquire, most scores cannot be compared with other players in a competetive arena.
The focus today is on graphics and speed. This is nop way to judge a console.

Anyone played Fzero-X? This is a basic racing game but with a very accurate time system.
The time system allows you to beat a friend by .001 of a second. (also the case with 1080) This makes for a battle of skill and to see how good you are in an international arena, as your time is ACCURATE.

Konami's Police 24/7 was good for this. I was ranked 2nd in the UK for over 3 months.

In short. It is the games you need too look at, not the console!
Xbox all the way. Although I'm considering picking up a used PS2 just so I can play GTA San Andreas. Dang, I wish they would come out with that for the Xbox!!
WHat I wish those systems would carry would be games adventure style (Not roleplaying) but either mysteries with a story line (like those detective ones from the 90's on the PC) or something that is for someone who thinks, and not just shoots everything. Pick what people say etc...
I picked gamecube because I have kids and the others seem more graphic (violent) and kinda negative. I was intruiged with the FABLE game tho because of actual cause and effect.(for myself of course)
Have been playing Harvest Moon, getting bored now in the 3rd/4th I forget, year.

Anyone have any ideas for good adventure games, problem solving, real people videos on these systems or others?

Ellen
[quote]
On 2005-03-05 15:19, Ellen Kotzin wrote:

Anyone have any ideas for good adventure games, problem solving, real people videos on these systems or others?

Ellen
[/quote]

"DarkFall: The Journal" for the PC is very, very good! It's a suspense/horror type game where you investigate an old abandoned train station and adjoining hotel to discover what happened to two ghost-hunters who were investigating paranormal events happening there. The game requires A LOT of note-taking -- you must read various journals, diaries, notebooks that you find and copy down every bit of information you come across. This includes diagrams, too. Some people have rated this game low because of this reason. But for those of us who like a challenge, I thought it was pretty good. The game does have some spooky moments, so if you are playing alone at night, you will get unnerved. I never thought a computer game could give me the creeps while playing it, but this one did. I have the sequel called "DarkFall: Lights Out", but I haven't played it yet. From what I've heard, it's just like the original. Check it out. Also, there is no shooting or violence in either game -- just lots of problem-solving and puzzle-solving as you explore an abandoned, haunted train station and hotel in search of two missing ghost-hunters. You have to piece together the story of what happened there -- it was quite interesting!
Pezgod...I know he had to fall!!! I just wanted to suspend my disbelief and help save the grey wizard, alas I too realize the importance of his sacrifice and how it helped the cause...

It's just I fought so hard with so little HP's and I won, I beat that foul creature from times dark and forgotten...a fell beast...I really want to not discuss it at this time...maybe save that memory for more pleasant times, at the end of all things...

johnny
If you're looking for puzzle solving games, try Myst IV for the PC...that'll really rack your brain! and for the systems, I'd say give either of the 2 prince of persias a try (the 2nd makes you think a bit more about how to do stuff) but if you havent played the first (sands of time) play that one first...the story kinda continues! Some other games that are ok that make you think...and that might scare the crap out of you if you're playing it in the dark with the speakers cranked, is Silent Hill 4. I've heard that Resident Evil 4 is good...i've seen demos, but as the Gamecube is at home...(i only have the xbox and my PC here at school with me) I havent had the chance to play it yet!

Later,
Kevin
I'm still tryin' ta get thru Silent Hill 2, I have never had so many goosebumps from a video gamr in my life...and I'm 35!

johnny
I have Ps2, Xbox, and GameCube. Xbox sucks. graphics aren't as good as the other two. Controls suck for the games. Cant wait to get PSP and DS
We have a new obsession. "Ratchet and Clank" (the first one). My wife is two planets ahead of me, she's on Dreck's flag ship, I'm still in the ruined city!
[quote]
On 2005-03-05 15:19, Ellen Kotzin wrote:
WHat I wish those systems would carry would be games adventure style [/quote]

I hate to burst your bubble, but adventure games just don't sell the way they used to. One of the problems is that, once you've solved the game, it has very little replay value.
[quote]
On 2002-10-16 19:33, P T Flea wrote:
I forgot to mention that if you have to have a console then I would plumb for the PS2 purely because of the additional DVD capability, that's got to be a big bonus.

PT
[/quote]

did they ever get the DVD bug out of the PS2? Seems to me when it first came out, people were complaining that after running a DVD or two, game disks wouldn't load! anyway, I have a DVD player so there's no real point in running DVDs on my Playstation. (Another cavet, last year there was a sample disk distributed by Sony, when people loaded one of the games from the disk, the first thing it did was erase their memory board!)