(Close Window)
Topic: A rose by any other name... (long post)
I received an email this morning offering to buy my domain, funnymagic.com, for $400. It was just a couple of lines long and pointed out she was not interested in the content of the site, just the name.

It is a ridiculous proposition on it’s face: I have owned the domain for at least 7 years, and by this point I have become so associated with the domain that giving it up would be signaling to many that I was out of business. The website has been directly responsible for prompting at least 40,000 dollars worth of work. But it was such an outrageous request that it seemed inadequate to simply ignore it or respond with a simple ‘No Thanks’.

The brief email made me realize about how closely I have begun to associate myself with my domain. A domain is, after all, one of the only ways in modern life, to pick your own identity. As it has often been observed, we do not pick our own names. In fact doing so is seen as a bit innocent and narcissistic: Does the world really deserve what a ‘Sunshine Isis Sojourner’ has to offer? But a domain name is a necessity and unless you decide to go with the unimaginative ‘www.FirstLast.com’, you need to find some word ,or set of words, which represent who you are and what you offer. And of course once you have discovered the perfect words you have to hope that no one else discovered them first.

I can clearly remember one frustrating afternoon excitingly generating an entire page of great domain names and then one by one crossing them off once I realized that someone had already snatched them up. I can only imagine how frustrating the task must be today, when so many more people are interested in the having a presence on the web. Now, years later, I can’t even remember what other names I considered; I am funnymagic and funnymagic is me.

But how to respond to this clueless person? How best to explain my outrage? In the end, this seemed like a proper response;

Dear Bettina,

Thanks for your kind offer. Funnymagic.com is not for sale; but I have an offer for you. I really like the name Bettina Johnson; it’s much better than the name I am currently using for my goldfish. Based on your kind offer I am willing to offer you $400. Don’t worry, I am not interested in who you are, so even if you decide to sell, you could continue to operate as you always have. I just want your name.

I would even throw in ‘Devin’, my Goldfish’s current name, for free.

Let me know what you think

Sincerely

Peter Gross
Still at ‘www.funnymagic.com’
Interesting... well thought. THANKS for your contribution. I gives me pause as well.

I am at your service and In HIS Service,
Deano
<><
Peter,

I really think you're over reacting. Domain names are bought and sold all the time. In fact, it's not uncommon for people to buy up domain names with "good" names, just so they can re-sell them at a profit.

Most registrars offer this as a service. If someone else owns the domain name you want, they will make an offer to buy it on your behalf.

There's really no reason to take it so personally. You own something of value, and she wants to know if you're willing to part with it. She has no way of knowing how attached you are to your domain name unless she asks. Obviously your domain name is worth much more than she's going to be willing to pay, so just tell her "no" and move on.

-Brad
Lol I love it..... did you really write that to her? If so you are the man..

If not just relax...she probably had a good business idea for it. You own it, simply say its not for sale, or quote her 2500$... you never know... would it even be worth that to you? good luck
You forgot something very important
Are You Funny Peter?
Because if you are not you should sell the site make your $400.00
This is all a joke Peter. I believe in 1st come 1st serve and you got the name 1st it's yours.
cheers chris
Mr. Gross:

My goldfish, which predates yours by 2 years, 3 months and 4 days, is named "Devin".

Please cease and desist from calling your goldfish "Devin".

See you in court.

I also have a dog named Bailey, so don't get any ideas.

Respectfully,

DD

PS: I have a cat named "Pookie". This is negotiable.
Mr. Gross and Doc Dixon...

I invented goldfish.

Sincerely,
Al Gore
Mr. Ridgeway (Living Illusions)

I invented Al Gore.

Sincerely,

Bill Clinton
LOL....
Too funny!!!
:rotf:
This is GOD! And I invented all of you!!!!
[b]Ha![/b]

Funny guys, I love it!!

327.8 million dollars might be worth considering a sleight change in your URL to FunnyRICHMagic.com though... Hehehehehe!