(Close Window)
Topic: Ron Jaxon's Bill Burner
I had the good fortune to see Ron teach this trick when he lectured to our club at MSU, and he has now released it as a PDF to the community at large.

Basically, a bill is borrowed, signed, and wrapped around a clear cigarette lighter, then secured with a rubber band. The magician's hand closes, then opens to reveal the bill is gone! You can then reproduce the bill from pretty much anywhere.

Ron's creativity seems to know no bounds. This is a great trick! For being as lazy as I am, I immediately went out and constructed the gimmick. You bet I use it!

You can see it online at http://www.magicjax.com/billburner.html
I couldn't agree more. This is a very cool and easy to do trick.
Can it be done with any currency?
[quote]
On 2005-06-03 17:24, h_A_Z wrote:
Can it be done with any currency?
[/quote]

Yes it is.
I am sure that this one will be just as good as his first release. :) Hope he sells tons of them.

Later,
James
Thanks for the kind words guys and I'm glad you like it.

On the matter of if it can be done with any currency. Yes, it can be done with any denomination of American currency. This is covered in the PDF file. Currency in other countries might effect how the gimmick is constructed though. The width of the bill/note can't be wider then the body of the lighter is long (See image on my site for better understanding).

I realize that vanishing a dollar bill isn't a difficult thing to do with just sleight of hand. But there are some points about this trick that can give you some advantages over just vanishing the bill with sleight of hand.

For one thing. The bill is gone or can even be loaded into something before the spectators even know the trick started. So if you're going to make the bill appear in something that uses some kind of trap door or loading mechanism such as a bill tube. The bill can be loaded and the tube is on the table [b]before the bill vanishes[/b].

Another thing that I think makes this kind of trick effective is the fact that the lighter and rubber band is still there after the bill is gone. Let me explain. If you where you wrap the bill around a lighter (or any object) and fasten in place with a rubber band. Then caused the lighter, rubber band and bill to vanish. Then that kind of tells the spectators that you did sleight of hand with the lighter and everything on it. But if you put it all in your hand and then only the bill is gone. Then it seems a little more impossible because the lighter and rubber band is still there. I hope that makes sense.

Lastly. The method is pretty unique. I have to bite my tongue to prevent myself from telling people how it's done after I perform it because the method is almost as neat as the effect you do with it.

Anyway. I just wanted to mention those things. I've been performing this for about a year now and it gets a pretty good reaction. People often grab my other hand as soon as the bill vanishes to see if I somehow took it off the lighter. There's nothing to find at that point so it's pretty strong.

Thanks again and I hope you enjoy it.

Ron Jaxon
Message: Posted by: Christopher Williams (Jun 4, 2005 05:34PM)
Is it signable and is the lighter examinable?
Yes, you can have the bill signed. The gimmicked lighter is not examinable but it's easy enough to switch it for a normal one. You won't need any sleight of hand to switch it either. Simple presentation can allow you to switch it for a normal lighter. Besides. After the bill vanishes you bring their attention to where the bill travels to so no one will even be thinking about the lighter at that point. This gives you plenty of time to subtly toss a normal lighter on the table.

I hope that helps.

Ron Jaxon
Ron,

How easy/hard is it to construct the gimmick to for this effect?

Thanks

Adam
Very easy. I'd be surprised if it took anyone more then about ten minutes to construct the gimmick. You will need a clear cigarette lighter (see the add page for an image of the type of lighter used). They are commonly found in gas stations. Completely clear ones are a little hard to come by but yellow clear ones work well too. It doesn't really matter what color it is. As long as they can see through it.

Most people will have everything they need to make it right in their homes but even if you didn't you could buy everything needed for a few dollars.

Thanks for the positive feed back to those who have Emailed me. I'm glad you like it.

Ron Jaxon
Message: Posted by: Crossroads Mystic (Jun 10, 2005 07:54PM)
Got the .PDF today while at work.
If I’d had the lighter, I could have made it right then.
I’m looking forward to playing with this.

Nice one Ron.

Gavin D.
I just purchased this. Ron, this trick is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet ! Darned clever too.

What can I say ? You've done it again, sir.
I've got it too.....ingenious! Lookng forward to playing with it!

Adam
I'm glad you guys enjoy it. Right now I'm trying to track down a good source for the completely clear lighters to make available because they are a little hard to come by. Colored/clear lighters such as yellow or light blue work just fine and you can pick them up at most gas stations. IT really doesn't look better with the completely clear lighters though so I'm going to try and make them available. I won't charge more then a couple of dollars for them. Or if I can find an online source where you can just pick up one or two of them then I'll just put a link here on the Café to that source.

One other things I wanted to mention is something I discovered the other day with this gimmick. In my PDF download called BAR TAB there's a trick called "Bic Sticker." It shows how to make a little gimmick to make this impromptu trick a little more convincing. I'm sure anyone who knows the paddle move will understand how you can cause the sticker on a lighter to vanish and appear. It can't be done very well with a clear lighter though because they'd be able to see the lighter on the other side when it's supposed to be vanished. Using the principle of Bill Burner Clear you can do this with a clear lighter. It actually looks pretty cool when you do it. If you use two lighters you can cause the sticker to travel from one to the other.

So for those who know how it's done give it a try with the sticker. It's pretty neat.

Ron Jaxon
Has anyone tried it with the sticker yet? If you picked the original (Bill burner clear) PDF and want more details on doing it with the sticker let me know. I'm going to be making a new PDF for the Bill Burner Clear and add this sticker version as a bonus. So if you already have the old one then Email me and I'll get you the new version too as soon as I got it finished (Be a day or two because this is a holiday week end). I figure most will know what I mean by the sticker version just by my description of the effect, but just in case I'll add it in there.

Ron Jaxon
Got it today...
Easy shopping, easy Trick, big Magic...

Thanks Mr. Jaxon
I just updated the PDF file. It now has some bonus ideas and tricks including the version with the sticker. They all employ the same principle as Bill Burner Clear.

If you already have the E-book then you can Email me with proof of purchase to magicjaxon@aol.com (just tell me the Email address you ordered with and I'll check my records) and I'll send you the new file with the bonus ideas. Those who haven't picked it up yet can just use the normal purchase link on my site and it'll send you the updated file.

Thanks for all the positive feedback.

Ron Jaxon
Thanks Ron for such a clever and creative trick. It's well worth the money. The method is ingenious.
Thanks too for this very god idea !

Ange.
Have any of you tried this with other objects as shown in the bonus ideas? I'm having a lot of fun with the sticker and the lighter becoming clear. I use the "slowly becoming clear" to make the lighter slowly vanish.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Ron Jaxon
I must say, I have seen Ron perform this many times, and cool to watch even though I know the method. The lighter and bill look natural in his hands, like they were meant to be there. Ron is so creative in the way he thinks about and approaches magic, he has inspired my thinking towards magic.

I really like that Ron designs his magic idea with simple methods because they always get great reactions. Keep the good ideas coming!

TomK
You know I cannot find a clear ligher anywhere in Iceland..BBRRRRR I need a coat.
I bought this on impulse today... It's absolutely fantastic! What an incredible effect. I am going to be using this all the time.
Are we talking just a plain, $1 Bic clear lighter? I'd like to find a lighter first, or I will go crazy with just instructions and no lighter.... :)
Yes, it just uses those plain clear lighters you can find in gas stations for about a dollar. The colored/clear lighter are easy to find (red,yellow,blue,green,etc..). The completely clear ones are what's hard to come by. When I can't find those I usually use a yellow/clear one.

Ron Jaxon
The idea is very clever. I like it alot.
The prop doesn't take up much pocket space. If someone asks me to perform something impromptu, this will be the effect I would do.

At the end, it instantly resets and your good to go again.
A winner.
Kudos to you Ron.
I purchased another effect from Ron, the beautifoul "Outsmokin" and I wasn't disappointed... I'm sure this one has the same quality.
I actually found clear lighters at my local gas station. They had a bunch of them for $.69 each. I bought two but one of them had no lighter fluid in it. Weird.

Anyway, this effect kills. I showed it to a magician friend of mine and he loved it. Definitely a killer anytime, anywhere effect.
I just bought the eBook today, and WOW! I made the gimmick in less than 5 minutes. It's really easy to make, and even easier to perform. I cant wait to try it out on laymen.

Im actually thinking of using it in the pocket tricks drive this month at the society, however my rubber band routine is starting to look quite hot so I will be a tough one.

I have made one gimmick with a note, and I am also considering making one with the card as a possible ending to my Ambitious Card Routine. Need to get more see through lighters. Just a quick note aswell, I used a lighter with an orange colour to it. This was really good at masking the skin tone. I have very pale skin, and the orange tinge to the gimmick really masks the colour difference. Might not be for everyone however I like it.

Anyway guys this is an excellant book and an awesome effect. Well worth a look for any Close-Up worker!

Scotty
Cfrancis:
Could you possibly tell me the brand of clear lighter you found? I want to make them available but if I can just let people know what prand makes them in clear they should be able to just find one themselves. As you said, lighters of this kind are rarely over a dollar.

Magic-FX:
Yellow seems to work well for me (and of course clear when I can find them). I look forward to reading how it goes when you try it out in the real world. Oh and if you make one for cards it's best to strip the card before making the gimmick.

Ron Jaxon
I was doing some searching for more of the clear cigarette lighters and look what I stumbled on. The exact light I've been looking for has been recalled. Click the below link and look at the lighter on the far right in the image. It's the perfect lighter for the bill Burner trick.

[url]http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml01/01120.html[/url]

Go figure.. :)

Ron Jaxon
This is a jaw dropping vanish of a dollar bill. I fry people everyday with this.
One second it is rubberbanded around the lighter the next second it's gone,only the rubber band is still around the lighter!

Always in my pocket.
I'm so glad you like Bill Burner R.Roth.

Let me share a few of the ways I've been using it lately.

[b]Bill in cigarette[/b]
This is pretty much self explanatory. If you're a smoker (and I'm not suggesting you smoke). A cigarette is a perfect place to make the bill travel too when using a lighter.

[b]Bill in Straw[/b]
This has nothing to do with the other trick I'm working out with a bill and straw but here's a way to use (Bill Burner Clear) with a straw. The bill is borrowed and rolled around the lighter and held in place with a rubber band. You Pick up a clear straw and use the lighter to melt the ends closed. Display the bill on the lighter in your hand then close your fist around it. Use the straw like a magic wand and make a wave over the lighter. Open your hand and the bill has vanished from the lighter. Bring their attention to the sealed straw and they see that the bill is now inside it.

[b]Bill in Mint tin[/b]
I use those little altoids mint tins for this. The method is the shuttle pass method used in other bill or card in box effects. What I like about the mint tin is that when you do the shuttle pass, mints come out of the box too and creates the perfect illusions of the bill falling out. It's easy to steal the real borrowed bill from your pocket as you put the lighter away.

Well, I just thought I'd share some of those routines I've been doing with it. I came up with them after the E-book was released.

Ron Jaxon
Havent prepared the gimmick yet but this looks like its going to be a lot of fun. Cool effect for that anytime magic.
[quote]
On 2005-11-18 00:23, themartyr wrote:
Havent prepared the gimmick yet but this looks like its going to be a lot of fun. Cool effect for that anytime magic.
[/quote]
Do it. It looks like pure magic.
R. Roth, you changed your nickname? or have multiples?

Ron, I like that idea of using bill in straw. That could be done with a signed bill, right? It would also make a great give-away to have a bill inside the straw with sealed ends.
Greetings all,

first off, this effect and the idea behind it rocks. Thanks again, Ron.

So here is my story about it:
finally after searching for the apt lighters, I constructed the gimmick and after a while of practice I presented the effect to my wife.
When the bill was gone, she was so utterly suprised, that she grabbed the lighter (!!) because she could not at all believe it.
How could this happen ?! The gimmick looks perfect. I almost fooled myself the first time.

Maybe my mistake was, that I only wanted to vanish the bill, and not make it appear somewhere else. Was that the wrong premise for this effect ?
Is a pure vanish for this effect maybe 'too perfect' ?
I made sure, that there was no challenge in the routine either.

If you like, pls advise. Very much appreciated.

Thx,
Stephan
I'm glad you like Bill Burner Stephan.

Sorry that happened to you though. I do suggest you do something else with the bill after you vanish it. Because as you said the vanish is so compelling and impossible that they can't help but to want to find a solution. Here's a couple of suggestions.

After the bill vanishes go into your pocket right away to get something. It can be something to use to make the bill reappear or something for an entirely different trick. While you're in your pocket ditch the gimmick lighter and pull out a duplicate (ungimmicked) lighter with a rubber band around it. So they'll think it's the one you just used to vanish the bill. Then casually drop it on the table as you look in another pocket for what ever you are looking for. If you do this very casually the non-gimmicked lighter will be on the table by the time they decide they want to inspect the lighter. So you're ahead of them.

If you like you can add a little humor to this. After the bill vanishes act surprise that it's gone and say, "Oops, I lost your bill. Do you have another one? "As you say this you go to your pocket as if you're looking for another bill and do the lighter switch then.

These suggestions are for situations like you described where the bill will not be reproduced. Or not reproduced right away. A borrowed bill is usually returned in most cases so it's best to move onto the production or impossible location right after the vanish.

I hope that helps.

Ron Jaxon
WOW...great trick, just got it and I can't wait to make it. Funny thing I just saw a bunch of these lighters a couple weeks ago and can't remember where, Ghar!!!

This is truly brilliant thinking, Thanks Ron! :)

johnny
Brilliant effect Ron! Now all I need is a lighter....
I havent found the lighter yet either, just downloaded bottle in bottle, cant wait to construct that aswell
This is a steal!!
Just finished constructing the gimmmick. Look forward to practicing this, the concept really made my imagine running!!
Great work Ron!

-e-
Thanks so much everyone. At the risk of coming off as conceited. The feed back I'm getting from this trick is almost as much of a surprise to me as Outsmokin was. In both cases I had hoped those who picked it up would just think of them as fun bits or nice effects. I knew they where both good tricks because I've been performing them for quite a wile before I released them but I never dreamed they would be so well received. I'm just saying I'm so thankful that you all enjoy them. Those of you who have ever made an Ebook available know the feeling of terror the moment you make that add page and click the save button. IF you're like me at that moment you think to yourself, "I hope no one thinks it sucks" LOL

One moment with this trick that sticks out to me is when I did it in the lecture that John Sturk mentions in the beginning of this discussion. That was the first time I ever did it in front of magicians other then a couple of friends. What sticks in my mind the most about that was the reaction to the method was actually stronger then the effect itself. :)

Ron Jaxon
This trick reminds me of a trick I used to do in college.

I noticed that girls with long hair often used to wrap their hairbands around their lighters when they weren't using them. I also noticed that hairbands go through fashions, with 50% of girls all having the same style band. So I bought some hairbands and wrote numbers, cards, etc. on the plastic bauble things on the end. Then bought a variety of lighters.

All I had to do now was sit down with some friends in the smoking section of the college canteen and wait. Once I found someone I knew, with the right hairband/lighter combo, I'd prepare mine and wait for her to go to put her hairband in. You can tell because girls start fiddling with their hair. I'd then put a cigarette in my mouth and nab her lighter, switching it for mine.

Then get her talking (often girls put their hair up before they leave) and finally do a trick. If you're going to see the girl later in the day, it's worth risking waiting.

The effect of having the chosen card, number etc. on someone else's hairband is nice and strong.

Less and less girls smoke nowadays and I haven't seen any put their hairbands around lighters anymore so perhaps the trick has seen it's day.
For those who are still having trouble finding the "crystal" clear lighters. I discovered something the other day. In gas stations and convenience stores you'll find all kinds of lighters. Some of them will have pictures on them that are just stickers covering the lighter. The next time you see these take a good look at them. Some are clear lighters so all you'd have to do is remove the sticker.

Ron Jaxon
Wow, just bought and read through this and really love it. I can't wait so I can get the lighter tomorrow and put this together. I will work on it just afer my 1st cup of coffee at work. Thanks Ron, keep up the good work
Just got this, great and Outsmokin very cool..ebooks are cool
I picked up ten of the crystal clear lighters from a gas station the other day. They usually have an assortment of colors but not often do they have crystal clear. So I picked up every one of them they had. So if anyone is still looking for the crystal clear ones let me know and I can get one to you. I only have a small number of them so Email me if you want one and I'll let you know if I have any left. I wouldn't charge anything but the price of the lighter (which is about a dollar) and shipping. So two or 3 dollars would be all. I'm not trying to make profit of these. I'm just trying to get them to those who are looking. The yellow ones work just fine though and they aren't hard to find.

I also have another trick coming out that is a perfect fit for Bill Burner because the prop fits the use of a lighter. Quite a few tricks can be done with it too and they all use objects commonly used by close up workers (bills, salt, cigarettes, cigars, cards, etc...). Just thought I'd mention this for those who want to find another trick to add to their routine with Bill burner. Every time I think I'm ready to sit down and write up the instructions another idea pops up with it.

Thanks everyone.

Ron Jaxon
This is very good Ron. Thanks!
Just wanted to let you know that I finally got the E-book done for the other trick I talked about in my previous post that goes great with Bill Burner. I decided I have enough useful ideas worked out to make it avaialble.

It's called the [b]Perpetuity Tube![/b]

Go to my site for more details. I just added the link to the main page.

Ron Jaxon
Just received the Bill Burner download... what a great and devious concept. Many possibilities and a nice set of bonus ideas. I can't wait to try this out.
Ron, What with all the great reviews, I'm off right now to buy this trick at your web site.
But what really has me convinced to spend some of my money with you is all the great posts you put up here on the Café. Your comments and help are much appreciated by this rough old amateur. Thank you.
Thanks you oombob. I'm glad you like it.

And thank you airship for your kind words. Judging by your avatar (The hat and ciggy) I bet your my kind of guy.. :). I hope you like the Bill Burner.

I'd like to ask all of you what trick you most often do with Bill Burner. I usually make the bill travel into a cigarette or a mint tin. If I don't have thsoe ready I usually vanish the bill and simply ask them to pull it out of my pocket. The presetnation is a little more then that but that's the end effect.

I still wish someone would make some realistic looking flash bills. I've used them with bill burner before. It's a nice effect because the bill vanishes from the lighter and appears in my other hand. I light the lighter and the bill vanishes and appears back on the lighter (under the rubber band). But I only do this from a little distance because those flash bills don't look to good from close up.

So I'd love to read what you all are most often using it for.

Ron Jaxon
I was shocked to see an entire display case of the crystal clear lighters at a gas station the other day. They looked at me kind of funny when I bought them all :) but that's okay. I now have about 40 of the crystal clear lighters. SO if anyone needs one drop me an Email. As I said before I'm not looking to make any money of these. I want to get them to anyone who happens to be looking for them. So I'd only charge a couple of dollars for shipping (They only cost 80 cents each).

Ron Jaxon
Very thoughtful of you Jaxon! I'm pretty sure I've seen those in one of the stores I frequent- I just can't remember which. If I fail to find one soon, I'll get a few from you. I think Bill Burner is excellent and I think there are bound to be many more applications of its modus operandi.
I cant wait to get this. Sadly your website is blocked by my firewall at work :) Oh well, I will pick it up tonight.
I had an idea earlier today. I tried it out and it works. I haven't performed it for anyone yet but it's not hard to pull off. So I'll just expose it here because it's a great trick to do with Bill burner.

You first wrap the bill around the lighter and hold it in place with a rubber band as normal. But then you either pull out another lighter or borrow one then put a rubber band around that lighter too. So you have one lighter with a bill wrapped around it and another lighter with just a rubber band around it. The effect you're going to do is to make the bill visually travel onto the other lighter.

If you use your own lighter you can simple make two bill burners then do the load move I'm going to describe in a minute.

When performing this with a borrowed lighter you have to make the fallowing gimmick. Get yourself one of these vinyl window decals. The ones that don't need glue to hold them on. The rubbery surface will hold to anything smooth. Here's an image of the type of decal I'm talking about:
[url=http://www.autoclubgroup.com/common/assets/images/motorsports/8269.jpg]Click here to see image[/url]

Clear is best but they'll never see this side of it anyway's so any will do. Now you cut this so that when placed over a lighter it will only cover one side (as in the paddle move). Now glue a portion of dollar bill onto the vinyl. You now have a kind of reusable sticker that looks like a portion of bill. Stick this to one side of any non-transparent lighter and you have a paddle move gimmick. Most people carry bic lighters so make it to fit them.

I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this. You can now make the bill vanish from the clear bill burner lighter to another lighter.

[b]The load move[/b]
After you make the bill apparently jump it's known only to you that the real bill isn't on either lighter. As you put the bill burner lighter in your pocket palm the real bill. It's already in the proper shape after you perform bill burner. With the hand that's paling the bill remove the rubber band from the other lighter, drop it on the table and pretend to pull the bill off. What you actually do is turn the lighter over to show the empty side and drop the bill on the table. While they are checking the bill out (to see the signature) you steal off the sticker and ditch it in your pocket with the rubber band. All is now clean.

If you do the same load move with a second Bill burner gimmick you simply pocket the lighter after you drop the bill on the table. but remember you still have a rubber band out. Act like you need a place to put it so you go back to you pocket. Pull out a duplicate non-gimmicked lighter and put the rubber band on it. This can be left on the table because it's not gimmicked.

I just thought I'd share that. Like I said, I haven't used it in the real world yet but when I do this week end I'll come back and let you know. I see no reason why it won't go over.

Ron Jaxon
I finally downloaded this last night. I really like the effect a lot. I cant wait to get to the gas station to find a clear lighter :) I tried 7-eleven, but they didn't have any. Let the search begin! Thanks for the great effect Ron.
Ron, I have tried four different places and have yet to come up with the clear lighters I need for this trick, and I'm dying to try it! The gimmick is sheer genius and looks like it would be foolproof, even for someone with 'stupid hands' like me. I've got a few more places to try locally, and am still hoping to find the lighters I need. If I can find them, I plan on buying a half dozen so I can try the variations you suggest.
I see you bought a box, so I might still hit you up for a couple if you have any left in a few days. Maybe you should import these and charge twenty bucks a set for them! :)
I am having a tough time finding them as well. All kinds of solid colors, but no clear :(
Like I said. I've got plenty right now. Send me an Email and I'll get you taken care of.

Just keep in mind that the yellow clear ones are easier to find and they work well too.

Ron Jaxon
I constructed it using a clear yellow lighter and it looks great.

This is an ingenious way to vanish a dollar seemingly right under their nose.

Outside of the effects mentioned in this thread, has anyone used this to double up the reactions by teaming it with "Billoon" or "anywhere Bill"?

Great Job, Ron!
You know? Billoon would be great with Bill Burner because you could use the flame from the lighter to pop the balloon. What I would do is pocket the lighter as I show the bill is inside it (bouncing it around). Then pull out a duplicate lighter out and hand it to them and they pop it for me. In other words I've very subtly switched lighters and you end with everything examinable.

Great thinking Lambertmoon!

I do know of a few magicians using Bill Burner with a Bill in Lemon (or similar fruits).

Ron Jaxon
I've been wanting to get this for some time but wanted to make sure I had the right lighter.

I found them Friday night (yellow) and ordered BBC Saturday. There is just so much that can be done with this. Really great job, Ron.
I gave up on finding a clear lighter after the 10th place :) So I settled for the yellow one. I agree, it works great as well, and maybe even helps that it has some tint to it :)
I just got the pdf and will construct the gimmick this week. The principle is brilliant. My one question (and maybe I need to read the pdf again), is "why would I want to wrap a bill around a lighter?"

I can think of a couple lame reasons:
"So Mr. Magic can't crumple it up and sneak it out of sight."

or

"Wouldn't it be cool if I wrapped this dollar around this here lighter?"

I'm not trying to be a critic, as I think the principle is really cool. I'm just looking for some way to motivate the action.
Thanks.
Jaxon,
PMed you about lighters. Also, the local companies (gas stations, etc.) all buy from a distributor. This distributor imports all of the "stuff" you see in these stations. They even sell them the machinery. We have a big local one here that used to do the "food show" for once a year. Walkaround magic in this place was fun. Hope this information helps.
I have a rough method for the effect which uses a tic tac box and you place a coin on the top of it, sqeeze and the coin is INSIDE the tic tac box... You then hand out everything for examination! You could also do it with a card aswell!
I have a rough method for the effect which uses a tic tac box and you place a coin on the top of it, sqeeze and the coin is INSIDE the tic tac box... You then hand out everything for examination! You could also do it with a card aswell!

Does this use a similar method to the Bill Burner gimmick? Just asking as there is a marketed effect similar to what you describe.
[quote]
On 2006-07-25 09:53, tntjr wrote:

Does this use a similar method to the Bill Burner gimmick? Just asking as there is a marketed effect similar to what you describe.
[/quote]

Yea it utilises the Bill Burner gimmick, but in a different way... The effect is not that good now as its a rough method, but it looks cool!
I'll ask again. I'm looking for some motivation for wrapping a bill around a lighter. I suppose the routine w/ the straw gives a reason to have a lighter out, but what about other routines? Thanks
Hi there,

[quote]
On 2006-07-26 18:23, tntjr wrote:
I'll ask again. I'm looking for some motivation for wrapping a bill around a lighter. I suppose the routine w/ the straw gives a reason to have a lighter out, but what about other routines? Thanks
[/quote]

in my routine for this effect, the motivation is a demonstration, which is
best presented in a casual environment when there are smokers around.
I usually ask them, if they'd agree on the fact that smoking almost literally makes your well earned money disppear (works well in Germany, where the price for cigarettes is quite high).
Following that trail I then demonstrate BillBurner.

For a happy end though the money should re-appear ;-)

Just my 2 euro-cents,
Steph
That helps. Can work w/ non-smokers as well. Thanks. I really like the way this works, but unmotivated actions bug me. Many change-bag routines have the same issue.
Any more ideas are welcome.
The lighter and rubber band serve as a poor man's wallet and it works so poorly that the money seems to disappear as soon as you put it on there...
An idea just came to mind when I was reading Tom's idea about the poor mans money clip. Add a line something like this. "I use my lighter as a money clip because I'm always burning a hole in my pocket anyway".

When I first started performing this I usually made the bill appear inside a cigarette. Keep in mind that I also performed my cigarette trick Outsmokin' before hand so I already had a cigarette in play.

Sometimes I just say something like. "I need to put the bill in something to keep it safe". Then I grab the lighter and rubber band as an after thought. My performing style is very laid back in close up and a lot of my tricks almost seem like I'm making them up on the spot using objects that happen to be near by. So it works for me. I realize that won't work for everyone though.

Ron Jaxon
Great suggestions. Thanks. I'll finish making the gimmick this week. FWIW, I found a nice clear lighter at a truck stop. I could not get the stickers off it, so used a little Goof Off and it melted through the plastic and I heard a "sssssssssss...." as the butane escaped! Glad I bought 2.
The same thing happened to me! Do not use GOOF OFF!!! When mine cracked, butane sprayed my entire face. Good thing I wasn't smoking (or smoke for that matter).

As for motivation for wrapping a lighter around the bill, I came up with this one: After a few tricks with the same dollar. Ask if they would like to see an amazing vanish of a dollar bill. I then bring out the lighter, light it (allowing only the gaffed side to be seen, this looks great) and proceed to slowly hold the flame up to the bill. I go slow enough until someone finally gets the joke and laughs. It's this moment where I unlite the flame and joke about "just kidding, but there IS a way to use a lighter to make this dollar vanish." While you say this, you have perfect oppurtunity to begin to roll the dollar around the lighter and continue with bill burner. It may not make the most sense, but it is working for me and at least has some introductory logic to it.

Also, anyone have an idea about removing the sticker adhesive without ruining, scrathing, melting, deforming, or cracking the lighter? I've tried, hot dish soap, straight alcohol, and other products. All seem to still leave a cloudy, sticky residue on the lighter. I did get lucky for my gimmick by painstakingly removing the adhesive with alcohol and a Q-tip. Any other ideas?

Thanks Jaxon for a cool trick.
Great suggestions! As for removing the stickers, one thing I will try next is something I learned years ago when working retail. Ironically, it's lighter fluid. I don't think it's as harsh as goof off, but it does work for sticker gunk.
I remove the sticker by first pealing off as much as I can with my finger nail. Then I put a little "goo gone" on it and let it soak for a few. Then it comes right off. That "goo gone" is some great stuff and won't eat through plastic.

Since we're on the subject of lighter stickers here. I'll give away a free trick. This is part of my E-book called BAR T.A.B ([b]T[/b]rick [b]A[/b]nd [b]B[/b]its). The trick is called Bic Sticker.

EFFECT:
You use two normal bic lighters (non-transparent). They can be borrowed or you can use your own. Each lighter has one of those warning stickers on them. You peal the sticker off one lighter and stick it onto the other. So you now have a lighter with no stickers and the other lighter has a sticker on both sides.

You can cause the lighters to switch places and/or cause the stickers to magically travel from one lighter to the other (just like color changing knifes). At the end one of the stickers vanishes from the lighters and appears on a drink (glass or bottle). You then place an empty lighter in a spectators closed fist. Peal the sticker off the drink and it vanishes then appear on the lighter they are holding.

METHOD:
If you understand the paddle move then you'll know how to cause the sticker to travel from lighter to lighter (both lighters have a sticker on one side). But the pealing part is what sells this routine. At the beginning they actually see you peal one of them off and stick it on the other. Here's what you do.

Go out and find one of those clear vinyl window decals. I'm sure you've seen them stuck to windows before. You'll have to find one that has a clear area that's as large as the sticker is on the lighter. You'll understand why in a moment.

Remove the sticker from a lighter. Stick it to a clear section of the vinyl window decal. Then cut off the excess. You'll end up with a lighter sticker with the sticky side covered with vinyl. This sticker will now stick to any smooth surface.

TO PERFORM:
Have the gimmick palmed in left hand. Obtain a lighter with your right (it must have a sticker on it). Place the lighter on top of the gimmick in left hand so that the gimmick will stick to the side of the lighter that has no sticker. Basically, the lighter now has a sticker on both sides.

Secretly turn the lighter over gimmick side up. Then openly peal the gimmick off. Then obtain another lighter that has a sticker. Pretend to stick the gimmick on the empty side but you actually retain it in your hand and turn the lighter sticker side up. Then now think one lighter has no sticker and the other has two.

Pick up your drink to take a sip and secretly stick the gimmick to it. As you are doing this [b]casually[/b] do the paddle move to show the lighter has a sticker on both sides.

I think this is enough information to know what to do next. Use the paddle move to cause the lighters and stickers to travel. Make one jump to the drink. Show one lighter empty and have them hold it in there fist. Then vanish the gimmick with your favorite method.

I hope this is description is understandable. The E-book has images and things but it's not hard. I hope you like it.

Ron Jaxon
Thanks for sharing the trick. I forgot about goo gone. Yes, it's good stuff.
I sent Ron $5 for two lighters months ago and never received them. What I did get was a lot of excuses and promises from Ron which were all apparently hot air. Surprising from someone who I thought was a decent guy. Now he has stopped replying to PMs from me. Anyone else with a similar experience?

Although I have had no problems buying stuff from Ron in the past, his treatment of me in this matter has become inexcusable and I would urge caution with dealing with him. I sure won't be dealing with him again until he a) offers to refund my money or sends the lighters b) offers an apology and a believable explanantion (right now the only believable statement from him would be "I screwed up and didn't follow through with my promises")

Caveat emptor
Update: Ron has contacted me and promised to rectify the situation. I will assume that he means it this time and I'm happy to have heard from him.
Recently got Bill Burner, made it, performed it, love it. Easy to make and to perform. This got a great reaction on the first performance. The handling is so natural that it took very little effort to get everything down pat for performance. And, I have to give you a lot of credit, Ron, for taking the method and "kicking it up a notch." And, it was fun to practice because it looks so good when I'm practicing in front of the mirror. Although I'm not a smoker, it was easy to find a motivation for this. Although I'm not adding anything new here, I did want to express how happy I am with this purchase.
Just a follow up: Ron delivered on his promise to clear everything up and he has restored himself as a man of honor in my view. Everyone's entitled to a mistake and we have moved on. Thanks to Ron for caring about customer service and his reputation.
Goo Gone, you can try WD40 or lighter fluid. Both flamable, but your working with a lighter aren't you? Be careful
Can Bill Burner be used with non American currency ?
I understand that clear lighter works best.
What are some of the other requirments ?
Nicholas,
Just curious what motivation you are using? There are a couple good ideas in the thread, but anything else would be great.
Also, anyone try the same method w/something else like a Tic Tac box?
[quote]
On 2006-08-18 08:12, mailcold wrote:
Can Bill Burner be used with non American currency ?
I understand that clear lighter works best.
What are some of the other requirments ?
[/quote]

It can be done wiht other currencies. There maybe be some that won't work but I'm not sure. The only real requirements as to what object you use is the size and ability to wrap around the lighter. Here's an image to demonstrate:

[img]http://www.magicjax.com/billsize.jpg[/img]

The bill will have to cover the entire body of the lighter. It doesn't have to be exactly the same size.

I can't think of any other requirements that would be of any consern. Anyone else think of any?

Ron Jaxon
Tntjr,

There are a couple of tricks out there, including Ron's Bill Burner, that let me get a good laugh out of the notion that my wife gives me a very small allowance each week...something like 37 cents a week. (Psychic Cents...Kolossal Killer to name two others.) "If I save, I can sometimes go out for lunch...that means I can buy a can of sardines. Right now I'm up to 74 cents...and if I had a dollar, I'd put it right in my money clip for safe keeping. Do you have a dollar that I could use to demonstrate?" Then I pull out the lighter and ask what the participant thinks about my money clip. In other words, my motivation involves the fact that I have very little money. The above drivel sounds too corny to be true...but...it really works for me (for some reason). My father-in-law used to get great reactions from these kinds of lines and he wasn't even a magician. I've discovered that I can move in this direction, adding the magic, and get good reactions as well. My tone of voice conveys that I am telling a real whopper...so it's all tongue in cheek.

I am also toying with the idea (based on a demo I saw performed on a magic website of which I cannot recall the source) wherein you tell the spectator that, for a close-up magician, the hand often serves as a stage. Whereas stage magician have beautiful...may I even say "HOT" assistants, I just use a lighter. Click it a few times to show that it is really hot too! I talk about making the lighter disappear. On stage they usually cover the assistant with something and often bind them in place using ropes or chains. I just wrap them in a dollar, and use a rubber band to prevent escape by anything but magical means. (So...I think it might be interesting if they think the lighter is going to vanish, and the dollar disappears, instead.) I'm still thinking about a wrap up to this wherein I try 1 more time. Finally, the lighter vanishes as well and I'm left with just the rubber band in my hand. Start plinking the rubber band. When you get a funny look, say, "Well, now that my assistant has finally disappeared, there's only the band left to play." Again, I know this sounds absolutely idiotic. But, I think I can get it to work if I maintain the same demeanor as with the first example.
Question:

Does it have to be a bill?

Could it simply be a slip of paper? How about a silk?
In the E-book there are some bonus ideas such as using a playing card, making an Opaque lighter turn into a clear lighter and so forth. So no, it doesn't have to be a bill but it has to be able to wrap around it flat like paper does. I'm not sure if a silk would work to well but it might be worth testing out. Hmm, it might work. I'll give it a try and let you know.

Ron Jaxon
I'll have to read it again. I guess I stopped when I understood what was going on! Another thought on the motivation issue. How about pulling the old salt shaker thru table gag. That is, "Hey, check out my vanishing lighter." Cover it w/ a bill rather than a hanky, napkin or whatever... It needs work and more of a routine, but it came to me in the car today while trying to come up w/ a routine for this. Any other thoughts?

Edit: I guess I should have gone back a page before posting this! Nicholas,I like your way of thinking. My sense of humor is a bit on the quirky side and your presentation is easily adaptable. Not word for word, but the attitude. Hope you don't mind if I borrow a bit. Thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to working this into something.

Anyone have any suggestions for bringing it back? I like the Anywhere Bill idea, but you can actually burn the bill for that. How about a signed bill?
Get yourself one of those little mint tins (Altoids for example). Get a bill and hold it up. Then glue or use magnet to hold it into the box.

Go into your pocket as if looking for something and casually place the mint tin and a marker on the table. While you're searching also obtain the lighter in your hand. You give up because you can't find what you need so you ask for the loan of one. So ask if anyone has a dollar bill you can use (It all seems impromptu).

Now you're ready to perform Bill burner and make the signed bill appear inside the mint tin on the table using a shuttle pass.

I'll tell you how I usually use it. This routine makes use of a few of my tricks that I have out as E-books. Maybe it'll give you some ideas on how you can use them. It just shows how I tie them together.

I toss a clear lighter on the table (not gimmicked) then ask for the loan of a dollar bill. I use the wallet to switch the bill for my "Change for a Dollar" trick. After performing that I switch back for the real bill as I put my wallet away.

Now I pick up the lighter and tell them I'm going to make there bill disappear. I hold the lighter to the bill as if I'm going to burn it as I say, "This may take a few minutes". The joke here is that I'm going to burn it until it disappears.

As I laugh with them as if saying, "I'm just kidding" I drop the bill on the table and pull a cigarette out. I now perform Outsmokin and my final load is a cigarette with a bill loaded inside. During the Outsmokin performance I drop the lighter into my pocket. At the end of Outsmokin I drop the loaded cig. on the table as I say, "Oh, I quit".

Now I go back to the bill (Sometimes I do a corner switch here). Use bill burner to vanish the bill and it's found inside the cigarette on the table. They saw the lighter out in full view a little while ago so no heat is on that.

I hope this will give some of you some ideas on how to present it.

Ron Jaxon
Well, what can I say.

I have just downloaded e-book and the idea is great. and open to do many thngs also.

hre in spain, it is easy to find tons of lighters like these, all colours.

thanks ron for your ideas
I downloaded this and am not disappointed at all. What a clever idea. I can't wait to finish making the gimmick. I need to buy some superglue. I must admit, it is a very clever idea. I'm going to be brainstorming on the many uses of this principle and different ways to use the bill/lighter in a routine that is logically motivated- or at least very entertaining. I will be putting this into my table hopping act almost immediately. Hats off to you Jaxon!
I haven't downloaded it, but I think I may have an idea for it.. You know those lighters with the money on them?... Maybe you could get one of those, and have only half of the money on one side so you can't see it, and than when you vanish the bill, the effect could be that the money is imprinted on the lighter.. would that work??
Not so much...

but maybe with a shuttle pass...
I probably shouldn't even mention this but I'm researching something right now that'll make this trick even better. Sorry to leave you hanging but I'm excited about the possibilities with this and I have no magician friends here with me to talk about it with. If you've ever come up with an idea I'm sure you know the feeling. Get the urge to say, "Wow. check this out!" :)

Keep your eyes out. I'll post back here and let you know when and if it'll work as well as I hope. I had to order something to try it and I'm waiting for it to arrive.

Ron Jaxon
[quote]
On 2006-08-27 19:52, Jaxon wrote:
I probably shouldn't even mention this but I'm researching something right now that'll make this trick even better. Sorry to leave you hanging but I'm excited about the possibilities with this and I have no magician friends here with me to talk about it with. If you've ever come up with an idea I'm sure you know the feeling. Get the urge to say, "Wow. check this out!" :)

Keep your eyes out. I'll post back here and let you know when and if it'll work as well as I hope. I had to order something to try it and I'm waiting for it to arrive.

Ron Jaxon
[/quote]

I keep checking back for an update. Will purchasers of Bill Burner be notified of any new developments?
What is the motivation for wrapping a bill around a lighter?

I can't think of any...that would appear sufficient in patter.
[quote]
On 2006-09-07 00:23, joeKing wrote:

[/quote]

Read above in this thread. I asked the same question and there are a couple good suggestions.
Ron,
Thanks for the great example of your routining, above.
Nicholas
[quote]
On 2006-09-06 16:17, tntjr wrote:
[quote]
On 2006-08-27 19:52, Jaxon wrote:

Ron Jaxon
[/quote]

I keep checking back for an update. Will purchasers of Bill Burner be notified of any new developments?

[/quote]

Yea. This is going to take a while and I can't really discuss it here in the open forum because I'd have to explain the entire secret in order to share it. I'll tell you that it's not just for bill burner. It's an improvement on the method that will also have other applications. If you know the method of Bill Burner I'll tell you this much. While Bill burner doesn't have that much of an angle issue (A little one but it's not to bad). This new concept I'm working on will get rid of the angle issue completely. That is if I can get it to work. It's close now. If you have bill burner I you can Email or PM me and I'll tell you the basics of what I'm working on.

[quote]
On 2006-09-07 00:23, joeKing wrote:

[/quote]

That's a very common question about this trick. Some great suggestions have already been given in here. I especially like the Poor Mans money clip that TomKMagic suggested. Just carry some money around your lighter and hold in place with the rubber band.

To be honest thought I think magicians tend to go a little overboard on making everything logical. Sometimes we can just be silly or do things unusual. In this case all the objects used are common objects so there isn't much to question. My actions when I perform it basically say, "I'm wrapping the bill around the lighter and holding it in place with a rubber band because I'm going to do some magic with it". Cups and Balls come to mind when I think about this issue. Why would I place a cup mouth down over the ball? The answer (in my way of thinking) is I'm doing that because this is a magic.

In the case of Bill Burner. The objects alone suggest the effect is impromptu. I always perform it as if I just thought of it. Or that I need to find a safe place to put the bill so they know I can't tamper with it. I often act like I'm looking for something such as a box or bag. When I can't find anything I suddenly have an idea and wrap it around the lighter.

I found an acrylic rod that's about the same shape and size of a lighter and made a Bill Burner gimmick out of that. It works well but with it I have the issue of "What is that thing?" So it looses taht impromptu feel.

I hope my way of thinking on this matter makes sense to you. In some ways it's a matter of performing style.

Ron Jaxon
Hey Ron,

Just want to say again, great idea. In fact, f****** clever! By the way, I saw Richard Sanders leture recently and I got an idea from something in one of his videos that I think would be great to use with Bill Burner. I want to try it out on some poor unsuspecting spectators beofre I spill the beans. I want to make sure it will get the response I think it will. If it works out, I'll PM you. Thanks Ron,

Johnny Impossible
For non-smokers- if you need a motivation for having a lighter in the first place, I tell people: "I bet you are wondering why I have a lighter, well, its a prety handy thing to have. One, it's a must for survival. Second, to heat up my car key when the door lock on my car gets frozen by sleet or snow. Works like a charm. And best of all, it makes a great money clip. In fact...
Here's an added trick you can do with this. I like this because it gives reason for the lighter and also allows you to use an another object borrowed by a spectator.

EFFECT
The magician pulls out his cigarette lighter. Then asked for the loan of a dollar bill and a spectators lighter. He has the bill signed the wraps it around his lighter and fastens it in place with a rubber band. He can then cause the bill to travel from lighter to lighter.

METHOD
The magicians lighter is done with Bill Burner of course but in order to make it travel onto the spectators lighter you'll have to make this gimmick.

Get a vinyl window decal. Glue a portion of a dollar bill onto it and cut it into shape so that it'll cover one side of a lighter. The vinyl will allow you to stick this onto a borrowed lighter and perform the paddle move to make the bill appear on it or vanish from it.

It's not much but just another way to use Bill Burner.

Ron Jaxon
Hey Ron - I bought this when it first came out. Very clever routine! I'm STILL having a problem locating a CLEAR lighter (I've seen lots of colored lighters, but I really want CLEAR. Any source for that?

Thanks.

Sd
I bet if you went to one of those stores that specialize in selling cigarettes, they will probably have quite the selection. Otherwise I'm sure you can use the old reliable google-izer.
I've been seeing some lighters in stores that are clear but half of them are covered with a sticker. So when you look through the clear side you see a picture on the other side through it. A lot of them have pictures of poker, dice and Las Vegas type things. They're a little large (longer and wider) but I'm sure they can be used. I'll pick one up next time I see one and try it out.

Ron Jaxon
Seems like I'm always bringing back old threads. But anyway. Jaxon, any news on the improvement you were working on? I'm buying this trick as soon as I get a hold of a couple of see-thru lighters. I assume it can be used with PLASTIC aussie money?