(Close Window)
Topic: Animals
Take the animal puma: the last two letters of its name, "m," "a," start mandrill, which is a large baboon. The last two letters of "mandrill," ll, start llama, and the last two letters of llama, start marmot. So, the result is a chain of four animals, with two letter links, puma, mandrill, llama, marmot. Can you form a similar chain of animal names linking, hippo to ermine? And the number of links in the chain is for you to determine. Every animal has to be either a mammal or a reptile. Only the general terms for animals are allowed, not the names
If I were a worse speller, I would submit:

hippo, polar baer, ermine
I don't believe this qualifies but, I guess;

Hippo
Porpoise
Sea otter
Ermine
Good Vandy, but not the one I am looking for.
-Tyler
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Jun 10, 2005 08:24PM)
[quote]
On 2005-06-10 20:41, Tyler_Magician wrote:
-Tyler
[/quote]

Once again, we have someone who needs to read a different riddle.
[quote]
On 2005-06-10 21:24, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
[quote]
On 2005-06-10 20:41, Tyler_Magician wrote:
-Tyler
[/quote]

Once again, we have someone who needs to read a different riddle.
[/quote]

What do you mean?
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Jun 11, 2005 01:49AM)
[quote]On 2005-06-10 22:13, Tyler_Magician wrote: What do you mean? [/quote]

Most basely, I'd tell you but then you'd not learn.

Instead, search.

I'd give you a link, but you are so clever at riddles none should be necessary.

You'll know when you've found the right one, as some words are almost always used badly.

That's three hints and two examples. More than enough breadcrumbs to make a trail.

You can ask the birds in the forest for the answer, but that will almost certainly cost you the trail of breadcrumbs and your education. :)
Tyler, I'm not sure but Jon may be refering to the wording in the riddle. It's is a bit confusing. Orginally I started with the entire word Hippopotamus, because hippo is just a short form of the correct name. When that wasn't working for me, I went off of hippo because I could go from there. Also the last sentence confused me. I'm not sure what "Only the general terms for animals are allowed, not the names" meant.

That (and for one other reason) is why I said my answer probably didn't qualify. I may also be wrong. I'm not much of a puzzler, though I enjoy them.

Vandy
I did not write the puzzle. I am passing it along to all of you to try to solve.
-Tyler
I solved it then. If I didn't solve it, please explain why my solution dosen't work.