(Close Window)
Topic: Fisherman's Wharf, S.F.
Whenever anyone asks me how I got started in magic, my mind always wanders back to Fisherman's Wharf in the early 70's. My parents took us on a family vacation one year and we stumbled across this little magic shop right next to Ripley's Believe It or Not! wax museum. I was mesmerized by the guys behind the counter, demonstrating miracle after miracle. My dad saw how interested I was and agreed to buy a couple of beginner effects.

We contintued to visit San Francisco on a regular basis since we also had relatives in the Bay area. Every time I visited, I just had to go to that shop on Fisherman's Wharf. Then one year I visited and the shop wasn't there anymore.

Although the shop has long since gone, the memories live on.

Kent
Hi Kent,
I remember the shop very well, a friend of mine used to work there and I purchased diminishing cards from the shop.There was also a magic shop on Pier 39 which I understand was co-owned by Charles Schultz ( creator of Snoopy etc. ). There are still 2 magic shops in San Francisco, House of Magic & Misdirections magic shop.I have for some unknown reason never been to Misdirections, but did visit House of Magic when it was owned by Marvin "Buma" Burger, I believe his son has taken the helm now.Still have magic in S.F.
Rennie
Ah yes, I almost forgot about the Pier 39 magic shop! It was a little hard to find and not quite as big as the one on the main strip, but I did purchase quite a few items from there as well.

I appreciate why a magician would want to name a magic shop Misdirections, but in San Francisco, the connotation in the name can be misinterpreted. Next time I'm in S.F., I'll have to make a point to visit both shops and get to know the people behind the counter.

Cheers!
Kent
When I first moved here to the Bay Area, there was a shop owned By Steve Dawson.
It was a very friendly shop to just go and hang out at. Steve Dawson was a very knowledgeable magic dealer who was also very helpful when it came to fine tuning whatever magic you were working on at the time

Scott
[quote]
On 2005-06-12 17:18, scottasf wrote:
When I first moved here to the Bay Area, there was a shop owned By Steve Dawson.
It was a very friendly shop to just go and hang out at. Steve Dawson was a very knowledgeable magic dealer who was also very helpful when it came to fine tuning whatever magic you were working on at the time

Scott
[/quote]
Scott,
Steve Dawson is a very good friend of mine his shop was called The Magic Touch, he actually had 2 at one time, one was in San Jose and the other in Milpitas. Steve had given me the reamainder of the items from his shop to sell a few years back and I still have some items.If you are into nostalgia I can give you a few items with Steve's name on then that he made up for sale in the shop.
Steve was / is a super guy and I visited his shop often and spent a fair amount of money there.
Rennie
Does anyone know how to get in touch with Steve Dawson, whose shop was The Magic Touch? I lost touch with him when I moved from the Bay Area to the Boston Area. Thanks, waynehaase@comcast.net .