(Close Window)
Topic: Ten-Second Effects?
I recently joined a networking group that meets every week. During each meeting I give a thirty-second commercial for my magic business to a group of about forty people sitting at a couple of long tables. Several people have suggested that I include a quick effect each week; I figure that about ten seconds for the effect and twenty for the chatter is about right.

Obviously, if I do this I would prefer not repeating effect, or, at least, having several weeks intervene between repetitions.

Obvious ideas would be silk productions or vanishes, coin productions or vanishes, maybe a quick Ninja Ring link/unlink.

Any other suggestions?
Hi Bill,

Torn & Restored Flyer, ala Joel Bauer
Barcode gag
3 1/2 Clubs, ala Bill Goldman
Hundy 500
coloring book, ala Paul Green (Catalog or magazine with business content)

Good luck in the search.

Regards,

Paul Green
The tricks should be so quick that they are over before you even start! I'd suggest effects with little to no patter and a flashy finish.

Fire is always nice!

Open your wallet, flames come out, close it and open it again to reveal some business cards which your hand out!

I'd suggest a lighter on a p*** with a bit of f**** P**** in your fingers. You pass your hand over the lighter and it vanishes in a ball of flame. My what a lot of a*******s! I should **** and ***** before I *****! ******!

Kennedy's card stab. Patter like this. "My name is S2000magician and I'm a magician so I'm afraid I'm going to have ask you to pick a card. I haven't got time to find it properly but let me take a stab at it!"

I'd also suggest you check out the works of Jay Scott Berry. I dealer once described his lecture to me as "an act consisting of nothing but openers!" But its good flashy stuff!
Ring Thing
One ambitious card move
silk vanish
steve draun's vanishing pen
pen thru anything
phoenix aces
chop cup quickie
pat your head, rub your stomach
soda from shoe a la jarle lierpol
chink-a-chink
healed and sealed
color-changing knife quickie
coin to jumbo coin using pre-sleeved jumbo coin
card manipulation
4-coin rolldown
vanishing wand
color changing silk
the lemon game
sam the bellhop
stupid travelers
cylinder and coins

one more: aldo colombini does something quick and funny. he holds up a folded card and asks for an audience member to name any card. when it's not the right card,
he picks up a ziploc bag of folded up cards and adds this one to the bag with the others. Of course if you're right, well, ...
[quote]On 2005-06-12 01:51, Frank Starsini wrote:
. . .
sam the bellhop
stupid travelers
. . . .[/quote]
You did read the original post, right?

Ten Seconds.

Maybe I should have put that figure in the title to make it clearer.

;)
Just wanted to see if you were paying attention..... :)
Question regarding Paul's comments re: 3 1/2 Clubs ala Bill Goldman.

Anybody know where one might one find Bill's version?

cheers, gord
Al Schneider does a 10 second professor's nightmare with small ropes that looks pretty amazing.

Matthew
Precious Metal (John Zander). I started doing this recently and it's GREAT! Easy to do, and packs a big punch, and funny too!
I know John; I should phone him and find out about it.
Do you know the one where you pull your thumb off?
No set-up or extra stuff to carry and can be performed in 10 seconds or less!
:giggles:

But seriously, Dancing wand or cane might be nice (10 seconds would be appropriate)

floating bill or ring... if you could get a ring from someone "you sure this is 14 carats ?" it feels a little lighter to me... then separate hands as it floats for a second or 2 then return it.

What can I say, I got into l**ps this year!

Have fun whatever you do!

GlenD
How about the Appearing Cane or Karate Coin? Crazy Man's Handcuffs? D'Lite?
Take a look at my Pro Fire Wallet. http://www.tonycurtismagic.com
Garrett Thomas's "Ring Thing". 10 seconds of pure eye candy! Wow
Al Schneider's SpellBound. Quick and KILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How about a quick PK effect with a business card or a flyer (pun intended)? There are zillions of ways to do it and it's very quick and visual.

Other than that I also backup the flash paper proposal - very quick and very visual.
Fl!pstick
Crazy Man's Handcuffs
Rubberband Thru Thumb (Rindflisch)
Cash Ladder (Harlan)
Matrix
Han Ping Chien
Sylvester Pitch
Potsherd Trick
Striking Vanish
$100 Bill Switch
Torn & Restored Cig Paper
The Loop (the Jay Marshall version of Dual Control from the Art of Close Up Magic)
Coin fold
Just a few ideas.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
Shriek of the mutilated by john bannon
Knights tour ... really really fast :)

one cut and restored rope sequence.

snap color change

balls from mouth

mouth coil

needled balloon

bowling ball from briefcase

rope thru neck

wineglass vanish (Michael Ammar)

Ring on (or off) rope

coin in bottle

biting a piece off coin

one sponge ball sequence

Dove production from scarf.

waltzing matilda

shot glass production from egg bag
Spoon bend

color changing neck tie / bowtie

Appearing rose on lapel

Coin production / vanish

a quick prediction using a N**l W****r
Serpent silk
Card fans
Electric Deck gags
Rigid Rope
Stretching rope
Telegram to flowers (see old Milbourne Christopher books)
Torn/restored paper
Firebowl production
Glass of wine production
Squash
Flopsy Mopsy
Short ACR
Card to wallet
Shapeshifter.
Someone mentioned Bill Goldmans presentation of the 3 1/2 clubs. I have never seen a Bill Goldman presentation for even saying hello that was 10 seconds.
Vernon's Pick-Off Pip
-Bill Switch
-Sponge appear -> disappear -> reappear -> grow
-Anything with a p**l, as someone mentioned. Making things vanish quickly is awesome.
-Spoon/Key/Coin bend (Patrick Kuffs' plastic spoon bend is perfect)
-Sankey Torn/Restored sugar packet (TT)
-Three digit number prediction using a NW

You should really time ten seconds. That's not even enough time to have someone pick a card, let alone do a 3.5 clubs kicker. Good luck anyway! :D
Wow! Thanks for all of the ideas!

Last Friday a couple of new members joined, so the secretary put copies of the Code of Ethics at everyone's place setting, so that we could recite them in unison; the recitation preceeded the 30-second commercials.

When it came round to me to make my pitch I thanked Ron for setting out the papers with the Code of Ethics, held up my copy, and pointed out that in a fit of pique everyone in the room could jam a pen through the paper, which I demonstrated. I went on to say that most of those present could also remove the pen once they'd realized their gaffe. I finished by showing them that I was the only one in the room who could do so without leaving any evidence, showing them the undamaged paper.

Jaws dropped.

Before Friday, I was the magician in the group. On Friday, I was the [b][i]MAGICIAN[/i][/b]!

I may not do something every week: one of the other members thought that doing things too frequently would weaken the effect (familiarity breeding contempt, and all that). But I will make sure that everyone knows how entertaining magic in general - and my magic in particular - can be.

Thanks again. I hope that the ideas here and the use to which I put them can be appropriated by others here to their (and their cleients') benefit. What a wealth of knowledge!
Wow! Thanks Paul.
Bill,

I would suggest just sitting back and doing magic ala Malini style. Wait for the opportunities to present themselves. You will always be rememembered but with some mystic. However, when you hit them with something...BAMM! You'll give the impression that you can really do anything anytime.

At a recent Chamber meeting, the audio video (sorry, multi-media) equipment failed and the President was panicking. He asked if I could do anything and I stood up and did 10 minutes of impromptu mentalism and it killed. The members who saw me had always thought that I needed 'props' or a particular venue, but to just stand up and do something. Well, it killed.

I'd treat all groups like yours in the same way.

By the way, just to stay on topic... PDQ Coins
Muscle Pass
Card Manipulations
Card Color Changes
Spellbound
Maybe Dice Stacking
Mental Telepathy- fork/spoon bending
And of course, the cups and balls ;)

Phoenex Aces? 10 second effect that takes 10 years of practice? Don't think so, but, ok. I think you can spend your time a little better for a ten second trick.
S2000magician,

I used to belong to a similar type club when I first started out in my legal career. Initially you will get a lot of cold leads (ie. new store openings where the person giving the lead doesn't know the owner. You will have to make a cold call to assess how ripe the opportunity is and sell yourself hard to get a gig). It usually takes a little while before solid referrals start coming your way since it takes time for people to get to know and trust you.

I would be very careful about performing effects on a "regular" weekly basis at these meetings. Although it is very entertaining for the other members, there won't be much in it for you. I mean, do you see any of the other members bringing in free products each and every week?

Instead, I would suggest performing on only pre-determined periodic bases. Most members of these clubs will take turns giving presentations about their business and the products/services offered. Such presentations can last from 20 to 30 minutes, with questions and comments afterwards. I would suggest performing a short routine as a finale to your presentation. You may also want to bring in your portfolio and a film clip of an actual performance.

Somtimes, these clubs get together with other clubs/organizations for social events. That would be a great time to bring out some pocket magic. Work the room and pass out cards until the last drink is poured!

I know this wasn't really an answer to your post, but I hope it helps.

Kent
Three weeks ago I attended a meeting of the local chapter of NACE - the National Association of Catering Executives - and did exactly as you suggest. Last night I attended a meeting of the local chapter of ISES - the International Special Events Society - and did exactly as you suggest.

Both went exceptionally well. Indeed, I'll be booking a show this Friday from the first lead I got at the NACE meeting.

Good advice.

(My 20-minute presentation for the networking group is next Friday.)
What networking group did you join? BNI?
Yes, BNI.

Why do you ask?

I just got back home after my presentation (and three hours at the barn working a couple of our horses). It went exceptionally well.

I was paired with a financial services manager from a large bank. She said that everyone already knows what she does, and donated most of her time to me. I decided to mention several types of events at which I might perform, and show the other members what I would do at these events.

To tie my presentation in with the bank's, I started with a pitch that I might do at a trade show, trying to pull the crowd over to the bank's booth. I did a version of [b][i]hanging coins[/i][/b] - making fees disappear - and a [b][i]professor's nightmare[/i][/b] routine explaining that, public perception to the contrary, not all banks are created equal.

I moved to more sophisticated events - wedding receptions, corporate banquets, and so on - and brought out the rubberbands for a quick [b][i]CMH[/i][/b]. I finished by explaining that my entertainment is much more personal and memorable than that of, say, a DJ, and illustrated that with a [b][i]copper extraction / silver penetration[/i][/b] combination (see [b][i]Bobo[/i][/b]).

The upshot is that I now have forty-odd sales reps who know that I'm a competent - perhaps even entertaining - magician and now have more ideas of the types of events where a magician would be a great addition.