(Close Window)
Topic: Gregory Wilson's On the spot.
Has anyone got these DVDs? And is the material on them hard or easy to perform?
Most of the effects aren't that hard to to perform. With some of the harder tricks though, you will need to master some more difficult sleights (sylvester pitch, striking vanish etc). Not too hard.

I'd give it ***/***** (5 being the hardest)
On the Spot is a good investment. There are a lot of impromptu stuff taught here which gets strong reactions from audiences when done well. There may be a few challenging sleights (like the watch steal, loading a coin under a spectator's watch, pitch and ditch, all around vanish, etc.) involved, but like all magic practice is the only way to get these sleights almost second nature to you.
Who's the producer of those DVDs, eg. where's the best place to buy them from?
I failed to locate that on the net.. :(
(Don't point me to Penguine..I'll never buy anything anymore from them again, one time was enough!!!)
The DVD version of On the Spot is sold exclusively by Penguin Magic, I havn't seen the VHS version out lately. They might have discontinued the tapes to make way for the DVD.
Thanx for the reply..if it's Penguine they can keep it...
http://www.madhattermagicshop.com
I suggest you get his "Off the Cuff" first because some of the sleights that are used in "On the Spot" are explained in the first video I mentioned.
Penguin have very good prices, but a sh$t forum full of non-experienced kids thinking they know everything! I still buy of penguin, but stay far away from there forums!

Mike ~
[quote]
On 2005-06-24 07:41, gngorick wrote:
The DVD version of On the Spot is sold exclusively by Penguin Magic,
[/quote]
It's not exclusively at penguin!
Jeremy,
Where can Werner get it if it's not sold exclusively by Penguin? The other sites I've checked doesn't have it or have discontinued its distribution.
What about the key/ring linking routine.
What skill level is that??
The only sleight you have to use there is the Sylvester pitch.
[quote]
On 2005-06-25 01:41, brianclementsvatua wrote:
Jeremy,
Where can Werner get it if it's not sold exclusively by Penguin? The other sites I've checked doesn't have it or have discontinued its distribution.
[/quote]
[url]http://www.spookclub.com/product_info.php?currency=USD&products_id=112[/url]
[url]http://www.prism.uvsq.fr/~qst/Magie/[/url]
Woops, my mistake. :blush: I noticed the Penguin logo at the top of the DVD so thought that it was an exclusive. Looks like they produce the DVDs and then sell them to other dealers. Cheaper to buy from Penguin though
This set is one of the very best.

I am very disappointed that one would have to resort to purchasing it from
penquin. that is sad.

very nice impropmtu stuff.

greg wilson demonstrated the sylvester pitch on the video (I think) but also in person at his lecture.

I will tell you that though I think he has some fantastic skills, his syl pitch
is nothing like the real thing and does not come close to comparing with the real thing. not even close.

if you want to see it done correctly, get the sylvester pitch video or dvd if it exists. it will blow you away. dan (sylvester) is pitching eggplants, jumbo coins, etc. and you don't see them.

the body language is much different, the movements of the hands are much more natural. plus dan is a very unique individual.

back to the topic. On the spot is fantastic and a must have for a beginner and intermediate magician.

I just hope you can pick it up somewhere respectable.
I purchased "On the Spot" looking for some impromptu magic and the video is one of the best I have ever seen. Greg not only explains the movements extremly well but the video is fun to learn and watch.
Is a sylvester pitch difficult??
Practice makes perfect. Listen to Frank and get the Sylvester Pitch video it is fantastic.
"On the Spot" and "Off the Cuff" are must-haves for impromptu magic. While the effects they contain do not, for the most part, require complicated moves, they do require a LOT of practice to make them look smooth and natural....it is harder than it looks, which is a tribute to Gregory Wilson. He's amazing!

Flimnar
[quote]
On 2005-07-09 04:19, Elliott Hodges wrote:
Is a sylvester pitch difficult??
[/quote]

I would say.... yes.

to do it like dan sylvester does, it will take a lot of time
and is extremely deceptive.

to do it like greg wilson does, not so long. not nearly as good.

when you see the "sly pitch" video you'll be saying...
"there's no way". "oh my god"

it's a completely different thing than you see on the wilson video.

a completely different thing.

a completely ...

a ....
I have the Greg Wilson video (In Action) which also has the sly pitch and I know I'm in the minority here but was not impressed in the least. As far as I was concerned, it was wasted money. I was pretty disappointed in the video overall especially from all the positive talk about GW from the Café. Must just be me.

Anyway, I am interested in getting Dan Sylvester's version if it's that much better a video. I will check into it. Thanks.
I don't think the sylvester pitch was even taught on "in action" if I recall correctly. You may be thinking of his shuttle pass. If you want some great stuff by Greg Wilson, I would suggest On the Spot or Off the cuff. If you're looking to learn the Sylvester Pitch. On the Spot is a start, but I would really suggest getting Sylvester Pitch 98 and take it to the extreme. Gregs version is basic, but yet deceptive, but imagine producing jumbo coins, eggplants, fruit, jars of sauce, loaves of bread and multiple coins (large handsfull of coins!) This is ass good as it gets. You litterally seem to pull this stuff out of nowhere! Great move.
Dann
I didn't like on the spot that much. It seemed (through his performance) that the effects werent that powerful. I did enjoy recap though. And also if your looking for a good GW video, check out his card stunts (his not the one ellusionist sells). This tape is absolutely incredible, the range of things he performs and teaches is wonderful.
Wow, I believe you are the first person EVER to say you didn't like On the Spot. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I for one, loved it. I have wanted to check out card stunts for some time now. Thanks for the advice.
Dann
To me both vids were good but not great.
My reason for this is that I was already familiar with a lot of the tricks, ideas and methods from other resources.
Did I learn something? Sure, there's some stuff that appealed to me.
Worth the investment? It seems that most magi here would say yes.
[quote]
On 2005-07-14 09:34, stannmaple wrote:
I don't think the sylvester pitch was even taught on "in action" if I recall correctly. You may be thinking of his shuttle pass. [/quote]

Maybe your right, the one he teaches several times over on "In Action" is the one that allows him to change a coin in mid-air or vanish a coin etc. Since it is a "pitch" that does the trick, I could have swore it was the sly pitch but maybe not. I will have to re-watch the vid.
On the tape he calls it the Sylvester Pitch. However having the Sylvester Pitch tape it seems like it is rather modified/amended for the routine and may not look obviously like the same thing. Some will say that he is not doing the "real" Sylvester Pitch; I think that he has modified it so that it fits perfectly into his routine.
It has good complete routines for using everyday items when you're not "loaded up" for magic. That is the point of the DVD obviously - so if that's what you're looking for you won't be disappointed. By shooting the routines in a real walkaround environment, I think it makes it easier to visualize how the effects will work in the real world (as opposed to Off The Cuff).
Don't bother thinking about it
Get On The Spot AND The Sylvester Pitch
Both are absoolutely BRILLIANT
Cheers
TJ
:)
Wilson's move is fine but my point is ...

Don't get the video and think you're learning "The Sylvester Pitch".

There's a huge difference. The real pitch is spectacular.
On the spot is brilliant DVD. I think it´s intermmediate.
I don't know if its just me.. but it seems that the magic on the video is highly overrated.
I mean. I liked the magic, sure, I liked seeing him perform. but it was a bit too much money for the magic.
of course, I have a friend who I trade DVD's with so I didn't pay nearly as much, but its so expensive!.
could be just me. I'm not saying its a bad dvd. I love his materials. but the price could be lower considering the material on the tape.
I recently got Greg's "Off the Cuff" DVD, which apparently covers much of the "On the Spot" material (I don't have "On the Spot") but in lecture format. You can pick it up much more cheaply than "On the Spot" too. Might be worth looking at.
Mc_Magi, in my opinion, the dvd is worth double the cost! Every single effect in there is a worker. Recapped for example... I've performed this effect for people well over 50 times (the cost of the dvd), with wonderful responses everytime. The same goes for Quicksilver, Sponge Napkins... oh man the list goes on. I would much rather pay more for a dvd full of real world material than to buy one with 1 or 2 cute things here and there. Remember, it's quality not quantity. I would suggest that you go through one more time. I guarentee that you will find at least a couple of thing that you will really enjoy.
I find that with most of Greg Wilson's stuff, it really grows on you. When I first viewed the dvd, I was pleased but not overly impressed. Then I started working on the material. It's all great stuff. ReCap gets huge reactions every time I do it and sponge napkins kills, too. Quicksilver is one of the best things you can do with a couple of quarters.
[quote]
On 2005-06-23 16:11, Elliott Hodges wrote:
Has anyone got these DVDs? And is the material on them hard or easy to perform?
[/quote]

This material is not all pie. I mean you are going to have to work! But it is worth every minute of it! You will have some killer routines at your disposal!
And remember: It's fun to practice magic as well :D I remember when I started practicing the f**se transfer of napkins (oooh, those good old days), and it looked like a old woman throwing a basket ball into a washing machine. And when I got it down, and it actually fooled myself (pun intended) when I saw it in the mirror it was a great feeling!
You should definitely have some very good impromptu tricks. This is one of the better DVD's on impromptu magic. Get it, you won't be disappointed !
On the Spot is a sollid DVD with some nice effects, re-capped. I also have the Sylvester Pitch 98 Video (wish it was on DVD). The Sylvester Pitch is amazing. Unbelievable acutally.
Yes On the Spot is great and I have gotten a few things down pat from it. Working on others. Ha, the first thing I HAD to learn was the pen spin. I do it all the time now.
Why does everyone hate Penguin Magic so much?

Personally, I don't buy from them purely because I was disgusted by the way they treated Jay Sankey, a magician who I have great respect for.

I'm just interested to hear other people's reasons

Thanks

MIKE
For anyone who has this watch the coin routine with the lady sitting down. as much as I love his stuff his coin vanish simply doesn't cut it. the lady follows the coin the whole time and always catches him out. what is it he's doing wrong?
Agree with you steve... a good rov and one or two other methods plus 3 phases rather than 4 might have been better... however, a personality such as wilsons allows him to get away with it :)

He could have ditched the spare after phase 3 and found it under the watch as a kicker (ending clean)... which would make a 4th element work better ?
I never like this dvd much.just my two cents.
Not constructive or helpful at all to post opinions without any justification or actual examples of what wasn't so good about the DVD.
On the spot is great DVD. Useful stuff :)
I really liked On the Spot, as much as Off the Cuff. Mr. Wilson is a very good performer, I actually bought almost all of his videos after watching Off the Cuff.
I'm always getting great reactions with Recap and Sponge Napkins.
Yea I really enjoyed On the Spot. Wilson is fun to watch. I really enjoyed Sponge Napkins/Head Trip, Recap Revisisted, and Quicksilver. After watching it I picked up DoubleTake as well and will probably get Card Stunts next.
I am very surprised that ReCapped gets such good reactions. It just seems so... simple.

Then again, maybe that's why!

- FP
Just learn his interaction and see him perform worth the money of the video.
Just get it!
I don't do many routine from the video,but
I learned the watch steal and his misdirection from the video.