(Close Window)
Topic: The Royal Road To Card Magic
Allright fellow magicians how are you all doing, Fine I hope. Can anyone tell me how long it takes to complete the Royal Road To Card Magic book. Thanks for your time and help it is very much appreciated.

Best and Kind Regards

Take Care all of you
:bluebikes: :bikes: :bluebikes: :bikes: :bluebikes:
It's not really a course as such but it would be difficult to learn all the sleights in under a year.
Like with anything, it depends on how dedicated you are and how much time you are willing to put into it. It also depends how quickly you learn. There are no shortcuts to mastering anything.

Generally for most things for most people, acquiring a competent technical skill in something takes between 6 months - a year. An advanced level skill can take up to 5 years. Mastering something can take a lifetime. Bare in mind this is a technical skill. Magic as you are probably aware is more than just about technical skills. These approximations are based on engaging in the activity on a regular basis.

Royal Road to Card Magic is a fairly acclaimed book. It however may not be to your liking. Imo it is a fairly dry book. If its not to your liking, don't give up and perhaps try other sources of learning.

Regards,

Kris Sheglova
James,
I don't believe you can "complete the Royal Road To Card Magic book". You can read it in a couple of days (hours if you speed read) but what I find, with any magic reference, is that as my skills increase I can go back and get more out of the classic books.
Also, there are some items that don't suit my style or that I don't have a situation or patter for.
Perhaps you should focus on learning a bit at a time and build on the foundations that you make.

Hope that helps
Cheers
Maynooth
I am currently reading the book as well and find that the best way for me to go through it is SLOWLY!

After I read a chapter (with cards in hand) I put the book down and then continue to practice what I had read. I don't plan to ever "get through" the book, it is much more of a refrence than a novel.
Can someone tell me how Royal Road compares to other books by Jean Hugard - like Card Manipulations and Encyclopedia of card tricks? I currently own Manipulations and am rather disappointed in it. Its poorly illustrated and the wording isn't always clear enough for a beginner like me. Am I alone in this opinion? Everyone seems to praise RR, but I haven't risked ordering a copy just yet, based on my experiences with Manipulations... :(
It Seems to me from what I have heard on this and other forums that Manipulations and Expert Card Technique are more advanced treatises, and that Royal Road is geared more for beginners. I have yet to buy Royal Road but I have been looking in every local book store for it. :dancing:
Royal Road is a classic of magic. However, it is a little dated in its style which makes it hard to read. You may want to check out Robert Giobbi's Card College books. They are "state of the art" books on sleight of hand with cards. There are four volumes all together and they are fairly expensive compared to Royal Road, but they are well worth it.

As you progress in card magic, you will at some point want to own a copy of Royal Road. Eventhough its a little dated, there is much value in the information it contains and it is well worth taking time to study it.

Good luck,
Richard Green
[quote]
On 2002-10-21 11:35, Lithix wrote:
Can someone tell me how Royal Road compares to other books by Jean Hugard - like Card Manipulations and Encyclopedia of card tricks? I currently own Manipulations and am rather disappointed in it. Its poorly illustrated and the wording isn't always clear enough for a beginner like me. Am I alone in this opinion? Everyone seems to praise RR, but I haven't risked ordering a copy just yet, based on my experiences with Manipulations... :(
[/quote]

Until a week ago, I didn't know I owned Card Manipulations. Then rummaging through some old boxes at my parents' house over Thanksgiving, I discovered a copy that I'd bought about 20 years ago -- and never used. (I was 12 at the time, so it's no wonder.)

Royal Road is infinitely more readable, and definitely more suited for a beginner. There is a progression in Royal Road -- you can basically start with no card knowledge at all, and within a short period of time be doing killer tricks. Card Manipulations has no such progression. It relies on you either having a base of knowledge to begin with, or being able to figure out for yourself how each manipulation fits into card technique as a whole.

I believe Card Manipulations was written about twenty years before Royal Road, so many of the techniques in Royal Road differ from the earlier book, as Hugard had twenty years to try new things.

But if you've got a copy of Card Manipulations, it might be a nice supplement to Royal Road. There are a number of things in Manipulations that can't be found in Royal Road. But don't let Manipulations turn you off of all Hugard's work. Royal Road is definitely a good buy -- you won't regret the purchase.
Thanks for all the replies. There isn't a real magicians supply around here, just a costume shop that you can buy the regular gimmick tricks from. So there isn't much literature or instructional media to choose from. We *do* have a Barnes and Noble at least - thats where I got my Manipulations and just bought the Encyclopedia today. I don't have a credit card so I can't really order online - maybe they could order RR or the college for me if I gave them an ISBN?

Hmmm...
Royal Road is published by Dover Publications, so Barnes and Noble should have no trouble getting it for you.

Thanks,
Richard Green
I've noticed that expert card techniques has a larger selection of handlings then what they deal with in royal road. So what you might want to consider is getting Expert and supplementing Royal Road as you get more interested in a certain sleight or want to see a variation of a sleight. Expert is definately very dry reading. Royal Road is a lot easier and fun to read.
You can order it direct from Dover as well.

http://store.doverpublications.com/by-subject-magic--legerdemain.html

As to 'completing the course', Opie Houston posted an outline for study of Royal Road that is really good. I have compiled the 'lessons' into one post. You can find it here:

http://forums.about.com/ab-magic/messages?msg=3226.204

Note that Opie does not give a guide to each chapter but picks the chapters you need to look at first. After you have those chapters down cold you can do more study in the others.

Be sure to read the other posts in the htread as they will be very helpful as you go through the book.

Good Luck
I got my copy of RR from a Barnes and Noble, so just ask them to get you a copy. They are pretty quick about getting stuff like that.

BroDavid
Thanks all - maybe I can get someone around here to order it for my birthday next week. (29th) I'll finally be 21! :dancing:
Hey! My birthday is the 29th. But I'm over 21---a lot! :rotf:

:thehat:
Let your fingers do the walking and go to Amazon.com. O' I bought my copy on 1981 and still haven't finished the journey down the Royal Road...

AmazingBoz :bunny2:
I was in the same position of not knowing whether to take the plunge. RR was for me my first step in "serious" magic and allowed me to build confidence quickly. The introduction in the book does suggest how best to use it, and how to work through it. Like school, I feel you need to put in the hours away from the book to get the most from it.
I have RR and i think it's great, i'm left handed so i find any book hard to read but still you can go through RR and pick bits out. don't let yourself get stuck in doing something if you can't master a chapter leave it and read on then if a further chapter requires something from an earlier chapter going back never seems so hard(for me anyway) yes it is dated and the patter is dated but you shouldn't be using the same patter so no harm there. For the price it's a must have!
I've been hearing a lot about the book. I'm a beginner to magic so do you guys think that the Royal Road to magic is a good choice to learn more?
I started down the Royal Road about 5 months ago. I am taking the approach that the authors suggest, that is to learn one or two effects from each chapter, practice them, and make them presentable. I am now on the "Classic Pass" chapter. I have been there for a month, and will probably stay there a couple more months.
I like to review some of my favorite tricks from previous chapters.
I suspect that by the time that finish an "Official" study of the book, it will have been about a year. I don't master everything as I learn, but as I learn a more diffacult sleight, the previous chapters sleights and presentations improve consistently

Mike
[quote]
On 2003-02-18 10:54, what wrote:
I started down the Royal Road about 5 months ago. I am taking the approach that the authors suggest, that is to learn one or two effects from each chapter, practice them, and make them presentable.
[/quote]

I've got mine yesterdag and I'll try to do the same with the dvd and the book!
It doesn't mater how long it takes to complete the Royal Road To Card Magic.
What matters most is what you get out of it. The book is well worth studying.
Don't get any other books on magic because this one will keep you busy for a
long while. Buying more books will distract you.. One exception will be,
if you find this book hard to read you may want to check out
Robert Giobbi's Card College books. Buy only the 1st volume, to see if this
one is not easier to read.
I think it's fine to read other magic books while working one's way through RRTCM. Coincidentally, I'm also on the pass chapter. There's no way I'm going to master that move before learning any other magic!

Instead of spending all my time on Royal Road, I've learned OOTW/OOTU, a Sal Piacente mind trick, some easy Mark Wilson stuff, and the Quarter in the Soda that Criss Angel sells. Oh yeah - I'm also practicing the Osterlind BCS.

One of Wilden's Laws is "if you want to make something easier, do something harder." This Law alone would recommend learning more than one effect at once. But the most important thing is that I'm having fun, which I know I would not have if I were practicing that @#$%@$ pass three hours a day.

Of course, this is just me - if another way of learning magic works for you, do it!

///ark
Oh, my... I recently started with this book because I read so much about it... I'm mainly into mentalism, but like they say here "noblesse oblige", so I wanted to be good at what I do... but these flourishes are impossible... I can't even make a fan...
In answer to your question, a lifetime! I still refer back to this classic and I am constantly amazed at some of the hidden gems that you can find within.

Rich
I have been reading the book on and off for a about a month or two so its been slow going. Im just trying to find more time to focus on my practice. Earlier this week I purchased the R. Paul Wilson RRTCM DVD's and I have to say that learning this stuff is going to go much quicker now. The night I bought the DVD's, I sat down and watched the section on the overhand shuffle and immediately picked up on a simple technique that I didn't catch onto from the book. I don't know how long it would take to learn the whole thing but it will definitely go faster now that I have the visual examples to go along. The DVD set is expensive but I think its worth it.

Kyle
I've approached the RRTCM like a math book. Math books don't read like novels or stories. You work them over slowly, taking notes. You reread them dozens of times, try examples, etc. RRTCM seems to be written like a text book. They give sample practice regimes, card tricks to try as applications of the sleights, suggestions on patter and misdirection. Its a great book, but it will involve studying just like any math book or what not. Of course they also tell us to make the magic our own. If we can make some small modification that allows us to carry out the sleight then that's fine.

Cheers,

Kevin
[quote]
On 2007-01-19 13:37, KyleThorson wrote:
Earlier this week I purchased the R. Paul Wilson RRTCM DVD's and I have to say that learning this stuff is going to go much quicker now.
Kyle
[/quote]

Yes, that's true. I'm using both now. First reading, trying, than looking!
[quote]
On 2007-01-19 11:55, Richard71 wrote:
In answer to your question, a lifetime! I still refer back to this classic and I am constantly amazed at some of the hidden gems that you can find within.

Rich
[/quote]

This book will be your reference as I keep going back to it from time to time to refresh techniques and it never cease to dazzle me with new discovery.
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Jan 20, 2007 03:06PM)
I've only finished my books on theory and poorly designed tricks. The ones with good tricks, have stuff that's new to me all the time. Royal Road has served me well for years.

It's been 5 years since the original question was posted. I wonder what his answer turned out to be.

I hope he wasn't this James Owen. A heavy goods driver (which he was) from the UK (which he was). Although a heart attack in 2003 would explain why he stopped posting.

[url=http://archive.prestwichandwhitefieldguide.co.uk/2003/4/11/556733.html]archive.prestwichandwhitefieldguide.co.uk[/url]
I naively started with Erdnase (Fools rush in...), but fortunately, someone pointed out the Royal Road. Time? I don't have a clue. I know there's an "Expert..." volume out there as well, but am in no rush. I'm enjoying every step on the Royal Road. Good luck to you, regardless of how long it takes.