(Close Window)
Topic: Illinois Smith and the Treasure of Rudy
Illinois Smith, the great adventurer, has travelled deep into the Amazon forest, to seek out the lost city of King Rudy the Riddler. He has already passed many traps, and has finally reached the inner sanctum, where the fabled Treasure of Rudy lies. What the treasure actually is, no one knows, but it is rumoured to be worth a lot of money.

The inner sanctum is bare, save for some stone letters, all in capitals, standing in the middle of the room. The letters are rather aptly R, U, D and Y. In front of the letters, on the floor, is a small key. Attached to the key is a poem:

Before you see stone letters four,
Each of these contain a door.
One holds the treasure so fair,
Three hold a deadly snare.
Place the key atop the right letter,
Then the treasure's name you must utter.
If you are wrong, your end will be grim,
In other words, place the key "For Him"

The stone letters each have a small hole in the top for the key to go in, and a panel in the front of the letter, which presumably holds either the treasure or sudden death. Can you help Illinois Smith place the key in the right hole, and give him the correct name of the treasure? Or will you instead be writing to his next of kin, explaining why there are ten thousand poisoned darts using him as a pin cushion?
Does it go in the letter R. and I'm not guessing, but I don't know the name of the tresure.
I'd be interested to see what your reasoning is... can you PM me, please?
As a clue -

"Place it on his..."
Stephen,not heard of this one before,is this story of your own making?is the answer in the poem?
This is one of my own puzzle creations. The method of solving is described in the poem
I would say the letter. U
Any reason why?
Well,if the letters are in a circle R at north, U at east, D at south and Y at west,poem says place atop RIGHT letter,also if I have to place for him,that infers YOU (U)
I never said the letters were in a circle, though...

Interesting interpretation of "For him". Not right, though. The first part of that line is needed
Well if (1) holds the treasure fair,
and (3) holds a snare
I guess (2) and (4) are not so nice either.

The name of the treasure? Rudy I would gather, as that would only be fair. ;)
Don't try and get hidden meaning out of the first part of the poem - poetry isn't my strong point. Look deep into the last line though.

Suffice to say, "Rudy" isn't the treasure
"For him" is "on his behalf". Half of a B is a D. Placing the B into Rudy, you get Ruby.

So place the key into the D to get the Ruby.
Impressive reasoning there.
I'll say... that's 'cause it's the answer.

Well done, Sapient!
Nice one sapient,it wasn,t easy
Thanks! The clue was a big help, but mostly I got lucky for my first try here. I'm usually the guy who is asking to have things explained to him long after everyone else is nodding and smiling at each other.