(Close Window)
Topic: Strolling act
I have done a few gigs now but not in restaurants. can I use the same act? three sets of three as follows.

die through mirror
sponge
ambitious to wallet

ring flight
nfw
bill in kiwi

sankey back in time
coins across
chop cup
All sounds practical and entertaining, however you will need a few kiwi's during the night. You can use them as a load for your chop cup and go into the routine.
Nice idea I didn't think of that. however I do want to have 1 mindblowing effet in each set. any ideas
Is your Ring flight your opener in that set ?
Is your ring flight with a borrowed ring ?
I would think people would be a little skittish to let a total stranger take my ring.
Just something to think about.
The die through mirror always struck me as one of those effects that a layman thinks he could do, if he only had the props. Bill in Kiwi just doesn't seem well suited to walkaround in a restaurant, for several reasons - reset is needed, having to carry a knife and the fact that you'd have to cleanup after the effect.

The other effects sound like good possibilities, though. I find it best to do effects that are short or that have multiple phases, so I can stop when the food arrives.
Kill the Kiwi! ( I always wanted to say that) It is not practical for restaurant. If you want at least one killer effect, just work on your presentation. They want to have fun, that's the main point. They went there to eat and the magic is just an addition.
My bill in kiwi requires no gimmicks, uses a knife from the table and the re set takes 5 seconds which would only need to be done every 3 tables. ring flight is a main trick in my set and the first time I saw die through mirror it killed me so that's why I do it. but keep the advice coming
Remember, to an audience, a transposition (eg bill in kiwi, ring flight) is a transposition...ie its basically the same effect.

In routining, you may only want to do one of the two effects at the same table...
Given your seemingly limited selection of effects, I would have to ask whether you are really ready to be working restaurants yet or not. I'm not attacking, but restaurant work is very demanding and, with repeat customers coming in on a regular basis, you better have a better selection of material than what you have listed and you really should have them organized into viable routines.

When I say routines, I mean sets where the tricks flow naturally from one into the next with no appreciable lapse or digging around in pockets or "deciding" what you are going to do next.

I would also worry about your approach to the tables, your relations with the rest of the service staff and management, how they perceive you while you are on their turf and the myriads of other issues that really need to be considered when working in such an environment.

An act in a restaurant is so much more than the routines and the tricks that make them up, after all... It goes to every little thing you say and do and even wear while you are there.

Just some notes from a guy who's done it for a little while and is still learning himself. 36 years is, to me, still the barest beginning in this business...

Respectfully,

Lee Darrow, C.H.
Listen to Lee that is some GREAT advice.
Thank you for your advice lee but I want you to look at the original post. these are the tricks I do at weddings etc. they work, there fun, everyone enjoys. I get booked and re booked. my question was asking if this material was ok for restaurants. also to you asking if I'm ready I say this, I perform at tables with my magic club for charities for 2 1/2 years been performing for 3 and have an invite for the magic circle test this year. so yes I am ready
The original said: "I have done a few gigs now but not in restaurants," and went on to list 9 effects. Based on what was in the original post, I made what I considered a reasonable reply and asked the questions I asked. It didn't include the extra information about your booking background and history, so I may have seemed to have jumped to a conclusion there. Believe me, I was not attacking you in any way and if I came across that way, I sincerely apologize.

However, for restaurant work, I still stand by the body of my post about routining and about having a wider selection of material to choose from for the reasons I stated.

Restaurants often have a high level of repeat customers. This means that by the third of fourth visit, they will have seen your entire selection of tricks and you will be running into something that can hurt you and the restaurant - the boredom factor. This is not a personality thing, but it involves the repetition of the same magic for the same people, over and over again. With only 9 primary magic effects to work with while working tables, I would suggest that new material development should become a very high priority.

Your selection of material, as it stands, is good, so long as it entertains. Given what you have said, I can assume that it does and that's great. There are far too many out there who aren't.

However, I would strongly suggest you look at my post again and re-visit the comments on routining particularly. In restaurant work (or in any act, in my opinion) the bridges between tricks are just as important as the tricks themselves and help you weave a tapestry of entertainment that is smooth and comfortible for your guests, rather than uneven and full of "uhm's" and "ah's" and the like.

But the MOST important thing in restaurant work, in my experience and according to all of the restaurant workers that I know, is the initial approach to the table. You have got to have that down, solid. You also have to know which tables NOT to work and you have to know when to walk away from a table even if your initial approach was flawless but the connection doesn't click with the patrons.

I've only been doing restaurant work for about 36 years and in the USA (I assume that you are in the UK from your comment on the Magic Circle Audition exam), so things might be a bit different on the other side of the pond, so that might be a basis for some degree of difference in perception on my part as well, so take what I say as the words of a guy who is still learning.

Best wishes on your upcoming test! Please let us all know how it comes out!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
Hi Stevie D.
For what it's worth I also agree that in restaurant work you are moving to a different rythm than a a wedding. I also would ditch the kiwi.
regards.
Thank you lee darrow for your advice which I greatly appreciate. its interesting that restaurant work is different to other table magic because repeat customers etc... I shall take your advice on board.