(Close Window)
Topic: Drag Queen Magic
Ok, I guess this is the best place to post this...

Has anyone ever heard of any Drag Queen Magicians?

I think it is a clever novelty.... unfortunately I look horrid in a wig.
In the tradition of Izzy Izzard, go buy that wig, sir. And wear it like a man. :goof:
There is at least one -- whose name, unfortunately, now escapes me.
But, yes, the concept is good and the idea is very clever.
And maybe you're just trying on the wrong style of wig!
:righton:
We have a member of our IBM local that walks out on stage and anounces
"Hi, I will be your bi-sexual magician for this evening"
he pauses then says "Well thats not quite true, I'm not really a magician"

He always gets laughs with it and he is a superb magician BTW

:cheers:
Bi-sexual?
Does that mean that, if he wants it, he has to buy it?
:rotf:
If you do that you will be limiting yourself to certain markets. Obviously, you won't do kid shows. However if you live in SF, you will probably be a hit.
Hi!

If I'm not mistaken (and may Fay forgive me if I am..!), I think the drag queen in question is Fay Presto, a UK magician(ne).

I remember seeing a documentary about her on UK television a few years ago - she was working in a pub/restaurant type setting, and was pretty good. Had the audience in stitches with her "saucy" humour :)

Paul
You know, I was wondering that too... she certainly has quite a deep voice.

Hmmm... I can hear the Crying Game being played at a convention near you soon. :)

Cheers

ML
Actually, it is an American I am thinking of, and still can't recall the name!
:(
There's definitely one in Texas that does illusions, or did about 15 years ago. I forget her name, but saw her show at a bar there. Went over REAL well with the crowd.
It is not quite the same thing, but I have seen in Bangkok's red light district naked women performing magic in one of the go-go bars.
:yikes:
Wow! Talk about misdirection!
Have you seen the RAZOR BLADE ILLUSION by DAVE POWELL. The one where you seemingly swallow a thread, next you swallow razor blades one by one. When you regurgitate the blades they are all connected to the thread.
Well that is the effect she was performing. Only the blades were not going into her mouth. I will let you guess where.
I think that this idea is a great one. I personally have a very dear friend who is a drag queen magician and he is hilarious!
I am a drag queens magician!
Just stumbled upon this post ... you'd think I would have found it before now.
I'm based out of Manhatan but travel all oer the USA, Europe and Australia with my show Abra-Cashetta.
Working on a new production to open Off-Broadway Spring 2004 ... so if you're in town or coming to town let me know.
There are a few more that I have found. One is a friend and mentor whose name is Steve Daly "Tiny Bubbles" and he is currently featured in Showgirls of Magic at the San Remo in Las Vegas.

Thanks!
I think Fay Presto had a sex change so she's not a drag queen per se.
I know of a magician whose assistant was a drag queen for some time whilst he lived in Hong Kong. He did very well on the caberet scene.

I am sure Cashetta can give all the details but I would imagine it would be an excellent pairing of caberet genres. In many ways drag and magic both belong in the catergory of cheesy stage entertainment!

Effects I would imagine that would play would include:

1) The sponge dingdong
2) 20th century bra
3) Fan manipulations
4) Guillontine with plenty of operation jokes.
I do a little bit of 'Drag'in my show.. but itīs not a Drag Queen, but a drag KING. Itīs kinda funny, because it can be played without the prejudice that comes along with the Drag Queen... if you do D. Queen, youīll surely have your image associated to gay business (iīm sure that people like us who are not gay, wouldnīt like to be reconized like "The 'Priscila' magician", or "Mr. Faggot") . I do have a Drag Queen character for magic.. but I do not perform it on the road. Steve Daly is the best comedy magician iīve ever seen live!! Heīs just G - R - E - A - T ! I Lived in Iowa, and met him there... a really funnu guy in person, so funny as on stage. "Tiny bubbles" itīs just wonderful! Well.. so there it is... I think that if you know how to deal with your image, and people will not mix things up, then just go on. :bigsmile:
I have been fortunate to not encounter negative responses with my act and play many straight venues. I guess that's because neither my show nor my character Cashetta have an agenda at all. I'm an entertainer and comedian and magic is what I'm using to entertain. I also have both male and female dancers so everyone gets eye candy.
A drag Queen Magician that has been around for a long time is Taylor Martin out of Indianapolis. He performs in drag as Andrea Merlin. Andrea performs at a world famous drag restaurant in Indianapolis called Ruthellens.
Taylor also performs period magic (no jokes please), as Rodney. he does Renassaince festivals around the country.
[quote]
On 2002-11-03 07:32, Peter Marucci wrote:
Wow! Talk about misdirection!
[/quote]
Novel idea. One could be Misdirection and Mrdirection at the same time.
[quote]
On 2002-10-28 19:37, paul_m wrote:

Hi!

If I'm not mistaken (and may Fay forgive me if I am..!), I think the drag queen in question is Fay Presto, a UK magician(ne).

[/quote]

Faye Presto did have the surgery, so she is not a drag queen.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Jan 28, 2004 08:30PM)
Glad to read this is being considered. It seems like this has been in the wind ever since guys started performing with thimbles, scarves, linking rings... little bangles... oops, look a bird just popped out of his scarf and it {really} didn't come out of his bra???

Please do a drag act if it could work for you. While I don't do thimbles, scarves or such though I have no problem guys who do.

This seems to almost BEG for a cross dressing version of the substitution trunk / metamorphosis??? See, even Houdini knew this was coming a LONG LONG time ago. That's why he started on top of the box and 'turned' into his female assistant... to great approval of the audience.

I offer respect to those who perform such acts, and humbly decline to participate in the act. Not my style. Might be fun to watch though.

:subtrunk:
Hi

A drag queen is a gay man (usually).

Fay Presto is a post operative transexual which is completly different.

Paula
Yeah....I think Wildstone is a drag queen magician.....

Now...if you will excuse me, I must go put on my plate mail and prepare for war.
I knew growing out my hair would attract a "questionable" element! However, far be it for me to question the hopes and dreams of my peers. If you like thinking about me in a dress Rob... you go right ahead ;)

No... I'm not a drag queen, however I've always thought of myself as a lesbian trapped in a man's body.

:hysteric:

Best,

Mike
Mike in women's clothing. *shivers and convulses at the though*

Though you did look good in those high heels!
And let's not forget Jeff McBride. Oh, come on! Like you guys don't see it, too!
LoL.

Good point Dice. His dresses.....uhhh...."robes" can get a bit questionable.
Many moons ago, and I mean many, there was a male magician who worked cruise ships, mostly in the runs off of Florida, can't remember his name. He was not a drag queen, but did a straight magic act on the ships as a male, then also did an act as a female. I think the female was called Gypsy, he would pull wig off at end of act to show it was actually the male magician of the previous night, etc. Was a pretty good magician as I recall, but I've slept a few nights since way back then (early 70's) and can't remember his name.
[quote]
On 2002-11-03 14:07, Andy Walker wrote:
Have you seen the RAZOR BLADE ILLUSION by DAVE POWELL. The one where you seemingly swallow a thread, next you swallow razor blades one by one. When you regurgitate the blades they are all connected to the thread.
Well that is the effect she was performing. Only the blades were not going into her mouth. I will let you guess where.
[/quote]

uh, yuck! :sick:
You have my respect Mandrake.

It's taken 5 years for someone to point out how wrong that is.

The area in question can provide lots of entertainment, and I personally don't have any issue with 'explicit' entertainment. However I can see nothing entertaining about a woman with no economic choice (and in some places, no personal choice) having to perform an act predicated on threatening harm to that area.

It is woman hating misogyny at its worst.

Anyone who is entertained by this I'm sure wouldn't mind if the boot was on the other foot - so I will soon have available for sale by download The Bobbit Effect - a cut and (hopefully) restored tie type trick.

Destiny
I remember being somewhat queezy seeing a stripper who used to shoot out ping pong balls and streams of powder! I can't imagine anyone doing something with even <fake> razor blades!