(Close Window)
Topic: Best Three Shell game?
I'm thinking of working on the ole' three shells and a pea. What are some of the better routines for this and where can I find them? :stuckinbag: :cups:
Thanks in advance.
Have a look at this: http://www.chefanton.com/scoundrelsstore/index.htm
Those are really nice, and I may even pick up a set of the Scarab shells. Thanks!
Use the search and search shell game. There is a lot of information on it in the Café!
You might see the list here for other references you may already have in your library:

http://www.threeshellgame.com/resources.htm

Good luck!

Andrew
Thank you.
If you are starting with the shell game,
Bob Kohler's routine is by far the best on video so far.
Smooth, polished, wonderful ending, easy to learn.

Anything by Whit Haydn, Bob Sheets, Charlie Frye,
and Patrick Page are also well worth acquiring.

Whit has a good routine on PDF on his new DVD but
not performed by him... but will be on a later DVD, I think.
That, very well may be the best once it's out there.
His DVD has tons of ideas and info.

Bob Sheets has a video but his routine in not nearly as polished as Kohler's. However, his tips on using 2 peas, and the inside shift (sheets acquitment) are worth a ton.

Charlie Frye has a good routine on DVD along with a sneaky use of a poker chip.

Glen Bishop's routine has a nice ending.
Andrew Pinard has a great ending but I don't believe it is available unless you ask him directly.
Another routine you may want to check out is Super shells by Gary Oullete. I know the Sheets routine is based on it. I like the Super shells routine the best so far out of the ones I have seen. I have yet to see Andrew's so once I see his that opinion may change.

I have seen some of the routines mentioned above and none have really been that interesting to me. That is not to say I think there bad routines. Just not what I find interesting.
I totally agree with Frank Starsini! Excellent suggestions Frank!!! :)
[quote]
On 2005-07-29 01:18, Frank Starsini wrote:
Glen Bishop's routine has a nice ending.
[/quote]

Thanks Frank glad you like it!
Glenn's got one of the finest, if not THE finest, routines I have ever seen. Period.

And that's in over 36 years in the biz. You may quote me on that, Glenn.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
Phil Cass gets the money on this one. A well structured multi phased gambling routine with a killer ending.

Chappelly
[quote]
On 2005-08-09 06:31, Lee Darrow wrote:
Glenn's got one of the finest, if not THE finest, routines I have ever seen. Period.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
[/quote]
WOW! Thanks very much Lee as one of my close up and magic Teachers (and Hypnotism) that is high marks. I am very honored you said this!
[quote]
On 2005-08-09 09:32, bishthemagish wrote:
[quote]
On 2005-08-09 06:31, Lee Darrow wrote:

Lee Darrow, C.H.
[/quote]
WOW! Thanks very much Lee as one of my close up and magic Teachers (and Hypnotism) that is high marks. I am very honored you said this!
[/quote]

Well Glenn, you have a lot of fans, and I'm one of them. It does feel good when someone compliments you, and you Glenn, as one of the best out there, you definitely deserve it.
All the best,

Michael
Thank you Michael.
You're welcome Glenn!
I really like the School For Scoundrels video. The teaching is structured and the routines are excellent. Not only that, the production values are really good.
I like Glenns routine as well. But as far as DVD's I have to agree with Bill. When I started I got the Sal Piacente DVD's. I love Sal and the DVD's are good. But the SFS is a far better DVD all around.

Whit Haydns thoughts about magic at the end of the DVD are worth the price of admission all by itself.

Vandy
[quote]
On 2005-08-10 16:40, Vandy Grift wrote:
I like Glenns routine as well. But as far as DVD's I have to agree with Bill. When I started I got the Sal Piacente DVD's. I love Sal and the DVD's are good. But the SFS is a far better DVD all around.

Whit Haydns thoughts about magic at the end of the DVD are worth the price of admission all by itself.

Vandy
[/quote]
Thanks Vandy.

But my feeling toward production value is stuff like that is sort of like putting a product into a nicer box. I remember watching a TV special about Ernie Kovacs and how they talked about the TV technology of today and the technology of his time.

Today we have all sorts of computers to do wipes and can use blue screens to do all sorts of special effects. And these things are fun and eye dazzling but do nothing to improve the shows content.

This is true in magic and DVD video.

Having production value in a video or a DVD does not improve the routine or the way it is video taped. Or the quality of the routine that is on the video.

If I like something I do not care about the box or it's production value.

I only care about the routine and the punch ending. And how entertaining the routine is. To me the box and the production value is worth zero!
Well, I tend to agree with you in spirit anyway, Glenn. I think that the material is the main thing. But I don't think Vandy was saying that our DVDs have better production values than others. I think (and hope) that he meant the overall quality and quantity of the material was greater.

But given two DVDs with similar values in material, I think the one that is easier to see and hear, and better organized for searching and learning, is in fact the better DVD.

We can't compete with the big companies for smells and bells and whistles, but we try to do the most professional job we can considering the limited abilities of our technically-challenged production staff--which would be me. Editing video and authoring DVDs is something I am still learning about.
One thing that I notice right away in videos, be they on DVD or tape, is clarity. Like several others on this forum, I have certain visual impairments that make a really clear video much easier for me to watch than one that has even a slight amount of fuzziness.

I also think back to those early videos from Tannen's such as the first David Roth video tape. The coins looked like white spots on the close-up mat -- except for the brown ones. They looked like brown spots on the close-up mat.

With digital video, it is much easier to have clear video than it was when all we had was videotape.

--- From Texas, where the Shell game involves three gas stations.
[quote]
On 2005-08-10 21:54, Bill Palmer wrote:
--- From Texas, where the Shell game involves three gas stations.
[/quote]
Ha! Keep 'em coming, Bill! :)
[quote]
On 2005-08-10 19:01, Whit Haydn wrote:
Well, I tend to agree with you in spirit anyway, Glenn. I think that the material is the main thing. But I don't think Vandy was saying that our DVDs have better production values than others. I think (and hope) that he meant the overall quality and quantity of the material was greater.
[/quote]
Whit what I say in the production value is a very wide and very general - I have not seen any of your shell game DVD's. But as far as content if they are anything like your three card monte DVD - and the three card monte DVD I have seen - they would be a great value and the content great.

I thought the three card monte DVD one of the best DVD's that year.
Just to clarify quickly. I was complimenting Glenns routine separately from the discussion of instructional DVD's.

Yes Whit, I was talking about the content of the DVD's. The Piacente DVD is actually easier to watch because it can be played start to finish without going back to the menu. This is something that has been discussed here before. SFS was in the process of learning how to produce DVD's and this problem (minor as it is) has been corrected in subsequent productions. So I believe the Piacente DVD actually has higher production value.

That said, the real value of an instructional DVD is the instruction. And in that regard the SFS intro to the three shell game is FAR superior. Many, many more moves are taught and the instruction is top notch. It's just a better DVD to learn the three shell game with. You can learn moves and manuevers from the SFS product that you could never learn from the Piacente DVD. And you can take your game to a level that could never be achieved with the Piacente DVD. The SFS product is simply better. I've watched them both, but now when I work on my three shell game, I only watch one of them.

Vandy
Thanks Vandy if you like good endings to swindle effects like my shell routine and ending here is the way I end my three card monte routine.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=127674&forum=2&2
If you get a chance check out "The School for Scoundrels" http://www.SchoolforScoundrels.com . There prices and quality seem pretty good from what I've seen, even on ebay. They also have some great DVD's for the beginner and pro. I purchased a set of street shells with the perfect peas from Bob Sheets and have had a great time with them. I would recommend using a very fine sand paper to round the inner edges a little if the catch on your table fabric.

Chris
What are the best shells to buy (take into account that I have a small budget)?
I saw Bob Sheets perform his three shells at the TAOM Convention (and go up on stage) and I loved his routine. Should I buy his DVD along with a set of shells?
If your budget can take them, get the Street Shells by S4S. If it can't, get a set of the Vernet shells. But get that S4S DVD in either case.
Thank you
I think we met at the TAOM convention
you gave me a lesson on the french drop
anyways, where can I buy that?
S4S=School for Scoundrels.

http://www.schoolforscoundrels.com
Thank you
now would you say get the dvd with bob sheets and whit hayden or the bob sheets only dvd
Be nice to yourself - get both :)
[quote]
On 2005-09-10 14:01, magicman226 wrote:
Thank you
I think we met at the TAOM convention
you gave me a lesson on the french drop
anyways, where can I buy that?
[/quote]

Yes, I remember. School for Scoundrels for the street shells and the DVD's. Vernet Shells at YFD.
Might I suggest The HanXamean approach to the 3 shell game. It is fun and great routine or two for the first time operator. It is E-book form from Magicjax.com
I have the 3 sheel routine from "The Art of Close-up Magic, Vol. 1" by Lewis Ganson. Is this a good basic routine to learn from or should I just spring for the S4S video?

Gary
I would get the School for Scoundrels material -- great stuff!
Given my nickname on the board, this subject is near and dear to me.

I have the Whit Hayden and Bob Sheets video and really learned a great deal from it. Also, I purchased the Gary Ouellet Supershells routine about 20 years ago. That was an invaluable text.

I have the School for Scoundrels Street Shells and they are excellent. However, I use my own shells, made from real walnut shells. Here’s how to do that.

First, find three similar large walnut shells. It only took one bag and I found several sets of three matching shells. Opening them is a little tricky. I found the best way to do it is to insert a thin “Exacto” style knife to pry the shell open a bit. Then, grasp the shell by the opening, gently pulling it apart. Most shells will separate exactly in half, a few will break.

Then, clean the inside of the nut by hand, getting as much material out as possible. After that, use one of those sponge-like sanding blocks to thoroughly clean out the inside of the shell. Go over the outside of the shell with very fine steel wool, very lightly.

Use very fine sandpaper to smooth and even out the bottom of the shells. When all of this was done, put the shell on a dowel, using a tiny piece of tape to hold it on, like a hat. Then, apply a few coats of satin finish polyurethane spray (the gloss finish made the shells look phony, even though they were real.) After that dries for a day, turn the shells upside down on a table and spray them on the bottom. Again, apply a few very light coats.

After this dries for a day, the shells should be perfect. I use them with the School for Scoundrels Perfect Peas.

To see the shells I made 15 years ago, that I’m still using today, check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r--a8fdicvI (I did this to help a friend at QVC win a contest, hence the quick routine and the patter at the end.)

Someday, I might make these up to sell. I’ll take out an ad on this site if I do. Until then, it’s more than a close-up magic trick, it’s a craft project!

Steve Bryant
Gary Oulette was filmed doing his Supershells by Videonics years ago. I believe he performs it as part of the "4 Stars Live" segment of the Vernon "Revelations" series.
Larry Zaslow
A "shell" of a tip, Steve....Now to eat some walnuts... :) ..
Thank you, Joseph. You started my day off with a laugh.

One drawback to making your own shells is you get really tired of eating walnuts, walnut bread, walnut muffins, walnut cookies, walnut pasta...
You might also want to concider using a good wood putty on the inside of the shell to add stability ( they will split) and build up the proper shape inside the shell. There is a thread on the scoundrel site that diagrams the process
Doc
Thank you, Doc. I've never tried the wood putty, but will check out the website and give it a go when I make up some more shells this winter (everyboody needs a hobby.) I own some fablous videos on the subject from the Scoundrels site. And, although Santa isn't bringing me a set of their jumbo shells, I think "Greedy Claus" might just sping for them in January.

Interesting note; the two sets of shells I made up over 15 years ago are still going strong without the wood putty (I used one of the sets in the YouTube video I referenced in my first post). Might be because I used the satin polyurethane on the underside, completely sealing the shell.

Still, now that I'm a full-time author, I have some time to experiment with the putty and other new (for me) things. Thanks again for the idea.
Steve
Phil Cass does the best shell game I have ever seen. But it is all Phil, and I doubt if anyone else could do it PERIOD. You MUST SEE it to believe what he does. His video is almost always available on ebay.
I like Garcia's routine from the Stars of Magic now on DVD. Quick and easy routine.
At the moment I am doing sort of a combination of moves from Phil Cass's shell game rountine ( which he states is based on Gary Ouellet's Supershells )and Sal Piacente's moves from his dvd on the 3sg. I love Cass's way he talks the spectator out of the right shell. This make the routine much more entertaining.
I have been doing my own version based on Karl Normans routine. I think that is who it was. It was from a booklet I found years ago. It was a fairly easy routine with few embellishments. It really made it easy for me to make the routine my own.

I did order a new e-book tonight called the Hanxamean Approach to the three shell game, I am interested to see how it is. I will let you know after I get it and play with it for a while.

[quote]
On 2005-11-01 20:13, Ragman wrote:
Might I suggest The HanXamean approach to the 3 shell game. It is fun and great routine or two for the first time operator. It is E-book form from Magicjax.com
[/quote]
I just bought this and have gone through it I would have to say it is good as well. The ten bucks was worth it. I really am rethinking how my shell game is being done.
I found it here

http://www.magicjax.com/newsite/3shell.html
Ken Brooke sold a terrific 3 shell game routine called Tweezers. What a great commercial routine and killer ending.
I like the idea of real shell. Something I'm going to look into myself.I love the 3 shell game. When I started performing it I wanted to trick the spectators sences so to speak. eyes, ears, touch, and so on. Here is the routine as it stands today. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vua7qTPlhuw Good topic.
jmac
I saw it done with match boxes, and I mean real ****, which was wicked, operator was great.
I just like the cheap ol' vernet shells =) work fine for me
Anybody here any good with the bottle caps?