(Close Window)
Topic: Top ten Ways To Instantly lose respect on the Magic Café
Must be a multiplicity of them, eh? I suppose the title could also be 'Top ten ways to get flamed on the magic Café Before you even start.'

Here is one '

New Poster: The Great Blaine-ini" (New user, One Post) :"How does David Blaine levitate?"

Man, that 'll do it everytime!

Any other suggestions to add to the list?
What's the best way to vanish a coin?

What's the best card trick?

Where can I learn (x) for free?

Will someone teach me (x) trick that I saw someone else do?

Where can I buy a purple sequinned suit like that guy on TV?

:D
Your hitting right on target, Jonathan.
I'm doing a show tonight - what tricks should I buy?

David Bland ROOOLZZ!!!

Dave
ROFL!!
Hmmmm Top Ten ways to Lose Respect at Magic Café...Arrogance.
One of the greatest magician I've ever met told me that true greatness has a voice of its own.... another great magician, a female magician actually, once told me that noone, new comer or seasoned performer is any better than the next person. She said, "We are all on the exact same road of discovery. We all start at the same place; it's just that some of us are farther along the path". I thought that was very astute, but also I thought she was saying the same as the male magician had told me ...That true greatness has a voice of its own and speaks loudly all by its self.
Peace Beth
Message: Posted by: Dr_Stephen_Midnight (Aug 1, 2005 06:47PM)
Try this well-worn approach:

"Hi, I'm the [b]greatest[/b] in the world! I've done more for this art than any man living; [b]You[/b] know it; I know it! I invented [b]everything[/b] and did it [b]better[/b] than anyone else! You say you invented that effect?!? Come to the convention with your videos and press clippings to prove it, and I'll bring mine to prove you wrong!
I know everything, I never lie and I'm always right! I'm a pro and you're a coackroach whose name I never heard of, you insignificant pleb!
Bow down before me!"

Don't you just love those types?

Steve
I have seen people lose respect at the Magic Café for asking simple questions and for disagreeing with the conventional wisdom and popular opinions of magic. So whether right or wrong, one can lose respect here by revealing ignorance or by questioning dogma.

alan
Yes...traps. There are many traps and landmines...one must skillfully navigate them.
[quote]
On 2005-08-01 20:04, Alan Wheeler wrote:
I have seen people lose respect at the Magic Café for asking simple questions and for disagreeing with the conventional wisdom and popular opinions of magic. So whether right or wrong, one can lose respect here by revealing ignorance or by questioning dogma.

alan
[/quote]
There's always a price to pay when going against the grain... It's not easy to stay on one's ground but one's ground is fought one posting at a time :) The most important thing is to obey the Café's rules and basic respect for all.
The kite only rises when going against the wind.....Don't know how that applies but I like it. LOL
Not having a sense of humor.....
Get it!
[quote]

alan
[/quote]
I can't express how important I think it is to speak the truth as you see it, regardless of whether it goes against popular opinion. Besides a lot of popular opinion has little to do with truth, and a lot to do with money and networking. I think it's important to be respectful even when others are not. It shows you are the bigger person, but we have to speak out about what we believe. Just because everyone says the emperors clothes are beautiful doesn't mean he isn't naked. (...and if you never read that fairy tale...well then nevermind lol.)
Peace Beth

Posted: Aug 1, 2005 9:13pm
Quote:
On 2005-08-01 19:47, Dr_Stephen_Midnight wrote:

"Hi, I'm the greatest in the world! I've done more for this art than any man living; You know it; I know it! I invented everything and did it better than anyone else! You say you invented that effect?!? Come to the convention with your videos and press clippings to prove it, and I'll bring mine to prove you wrong!
I know everything, I never lie and I'm always right! I'm a pro and you're a coackroach whose name I never heard of, you insignificant pleb!
Bow down before me!"

Steve

OMG that is so freaking funny I had to read it aloud to everyone in the house. (...yeah, they love it when I make them listen to stuff ) BTW I think we must hang out with the same ppl Steve. Hey I'll look for you lol
One might try this approach:
-----------------------------------

Dood, I saw this neat trick on penguin he put the card in his hand and it chnged to another card how does he do it don't tell me to look in a book I did and it wasnt thier

oh and also how did that guy on the show do that thing with the box where he put the lady in and made her pop out of the other box that was mad kool.

SANKEY ROOLZ LOL LOL LOL LOL
ROFL!!!(again!!!)
I've got my bizarre act all ready and I have this great idea for a card trick. Has anyone tried turning over two cards at the same time? They are thin and I bet you could get away with it. Has this been done? I want to make sure before I put this revolutionary concept on my next DVD.
[quote]
On 2005-08-01 22:10, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
I've got my bizarre act all ready and I have this great idea for a card trick. Has anyone tried turning over two cards at the same time? They are thin and I bet you could get away with it. Has this been done? I want to make sure before I put this revolutionary concept on my next DVD.
[/quote]
Wow! When will you release that DVD? That sounds like a brilliant move! Who said you need to look into the old classics to get the good stuff!? :rotf:

Greg

P.S. by the way, I'm going to have my own DVD. I realized that most of the effects I've been seeing others do use Bicycle cards... I do them all with Bee's so you know it's different. And I know Sneak Thief usually uses four or five people... get this... my routine uses 10! It's brilliant! Oh, and I do a Cannibal Card trick that uses only Jokers... It's totally hot and new... because it uses jokers.
And I've got the newest take on a matrix routine... I put the coins in a straight line and cover them with a credit card... and, surprise, I use nickels in my routine! It's so different I don't know why it's never been done that way!!
And my big one effect killer... this one has to be in a manuscript all its own!!! PK Touches done in the dark and on yourself. You don't even need a spectator. It's cool!!! You do it to yourself then it fools you then you tell everyone what happened. They won't believe it! And when you turn the lights on you've now changed into a full clown outfit so you know you're ready to do some killer spoon bending!
I'm also working on a few products: a wallet that you can peek stuff inside of it once someone writes something in it... It will be called The Cornelius Unseen Caper Case. And I have a watch that makes the hands move really fast when you want it to... it's called Time To Watch and Wear This Watch.
I can't believe no one has ever come up with this stuff! Man, I've been into magic since Thursday and the ideas are just popping in there. Penguin will be carrying my 10 part DVD series and 1000 page book by next month.

Greg
#10. My Classic force is so good nobody ever questions it
#9. I don't have any money for books could someone make me a copy
#8. I have some copies of books I'd like to trade or sell
#7. What does TT mean?
#6. What is Dai Vernon's real name?
#5. I just got into magic how much should I charge for a show?
#4. What's a routine?
#3. I just invented a new trick, how can I market it?
#2. What's the best _______ trick.
and the number 1 best way to lose respect................ Drum Roll ................ Tedious ain't it?

#1. Ellusionist ROCKS!!!!!!

Frank Tougas
[quote]
On 2005-08-02 00:10, Frank Tougas wrote:

#1. Ellusionist ROCKS!!!!!!

Frank Tougas
[/quote]
Ahh man, I must have like no respect then. Lol!!
I would have to say one great way to loose respect on the magic Café would be "Where can I learn some free tricks, I don't want to spend $30 on this book."
For me?

#1: Ask too many questions!
[quote]
On 2005-08-01 21:46, JohnLamberti wrote:
Dood, I saw this neat trick on penguin he put the card in his hand and it chnged to another card how does he do it don't tell me to look in a book I did and it wasnt thier

oh and also how did that guy on the show do that thing with the box where he put the lady in and made her pop out of the other box that was mad kool.

[/quote]

Spot on! I think I read that very post, penned by someone tagged HODINNI_ROCK'S.
Or my favorite...

"Yo... what tricks will get me some fine girls to go out with me?"
Referring to "Expert at the Card Table", EACT, by the name of it's fictitious and obviously constructed pseudonym 'S. W. Erdnase' by the term "Erdnase", capitalizing such (not even a fictitious person folks, capitalization not required) and then writing about the intent of the person.

Even more appalling is when someone does gambling demonstrations and flourishes, as such demonstrates they have not understood the work they pretend to cite and the "author" they venerate. Come to think of it, that behavior gives a second meaning to the word venerate ;)
Jimtron, isn't questions what this forum is here for? I can see if they are asking question like teach me this trick but just general questions?
It's cool schismatized.. he's taking a jibe at me as I often post using leading questions.
Gentleman:

I was poking fun at myself, because it's recently been pointed out that I ask a lot of questions and I seem to be annoying some people. I see nothing wrong with asking lots of questions, even when Jonathan does it! No jibe intended sir.

-Jim
Touche!
Asking questions is one thing. Ignoring or being disrespectful to the answers one gets is entirely another. ;)
Message: Posted by: Dr_Stephen_Midnight (Aug 6, 2005 07:11AM)
"Hi, I just built my own Zig-Zag this afternoon, but I have a problem that maybe you can solve. When you push out the middle, how do you keep the top part from falling down?
Yours Truly,
The Magnificent Naiveiniiniini"

(based on a true story)

Steve
If you wanna lose respect in the Café start posts sayng how to lose respect :) eh eh eh ;) lol

or how do you do htis? I don't want the meythod.. just say how its done... come on.. Ill be your best friend :D
[quote]
On 2005-08-04 11:29, Tom Cutts wrote:
Asking questions is one thing. Ignoring or being disrespectful to the answers one gets is entirely another. ;)
[/quote]
In view of the fact that this is my first visit, I think I'll just sit here and be very [b]very[/b] quiet! :)
[quote]
On 2005-08-03 13:54, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Referring to "Expert at the Card Table", EACT, by the name of it's fictitious and obviously constructed pseudonym 'S. W. Erdnase' by the term "Erdnase", capitalizing such (not even a fictitious person folks, capitalization not required) and then writing about the intent of the person.
[/quote]
I guess Persi Diaconis would have no respect on the Café -- Harry Riser often refers to the book as Erdnase in normal conversation. I recall the Professor doing the same thing.
[quote]
On 2005-08-01 22:10, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
[/quote]
I heard Penguin are planning on releasing this on DVD for $49.99 - it's called the 'Twin Lift'. It's an exclusive. Oh, and the music is [b]way[/b] cool.
Arguing forever and ever on what is better, or where origination starts. Magicians being rude to new guys and complaining when a question is re asked from time to time. Those people really lose my respect.
[quote]
On 2005-08-06 15:37, Bill Palmer wrote:...I guess Persi Diaconis would have no respect on the Café -- Harry Riser often refers to the book as Erdnase in normal conversation. I recall the Professor doing the same thing.[/quote]

Persi is smart enough to know the difference between calling it "erdnase" and "Erdnase"=author. For the young... cite the text all you like, and do read the text, it's rich in content. HOWEVER, it does not serve to presume upon "author" of the text. In this case the textual method of psychoanalysis is not directly applicable.

Performing flourishes and gambling demonstrations in conjuring context usually demonstrates how well folks have read the erdnase text. Sadly, those who fawn over the memory of Vernon have glommed onto the reputation of the text while missing its contents. [i]Our Magic[/i] can help remind the student that magic is diminished by demonstrations suggesting any juggling or secret facility in manipulating the props.
Who started this stupid thread, what a freaking moron

Just kidding, was that one on the list.

Hahah, just a joke guys, this is a good topic
Ah what the heck, I'll tip the "Erdnase" issue.

You are supposed to be a magician. When you refer to an author not in evidence, you are speaking of a thing the way laymen speak of magic. Hence the instant loss of respect by those who clearly understand that there is no Erdnase person. Got it?
[quote]
I guess Persi Diaconis would have no respect on the Café -- Harry Riser often refers to the book as Erdnase in normal conversation. I recall the Professor doing the same thing.

[/quote]

OK, I give up. Who is Sinocaid Isrep?

Fredd
[quote]
On 2005-08-07 00:52, flobiwan wrote:...
OK, I give up. Who is Sinocaid Isrep? [/quote]

One is free to invent fictitious characters. A good literary device. When one confuses the facts and fictions on such matters... well there is a spectrum that runs from "fooled" to "deluded" to "denial of reality". One gets to pick ones position on those matters too. I for one have no problem respecting the delusions of others. The easter rabbit delivers nice baskets and Santa brings presents on occasion. :)
[quote]
On 2005-08-07 00:52, flobiwan wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

OK, I give up. Who is Sinocaid Isrep?

Fredd
[/quote]

Read the introduction to [i]Snotalever[/i] by Nonrev, and you will know.
I'm guessing..but should that read..Snoitalever ?

Howard
Sknaht!

Dderf
!regnarts dna regnarts gnitteg si daerht sihT
As long as you don't expect much additional respect for a grade school gag, enjoy. Those who are in grade school and for whom this is new stuff ( joke name of EaCT author too ) enjoy the new territory.
... or what about people who say, 'do you like my latest avatar ? '.

Piers.
[quote]
On 2005-08-07 01:30, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
[quote]
On 2005-08-07 00:52, flobiwan wrote:...
OK, I give up. Who is Sinocaid Isrep? [/quote]

One is free to invent fictitious characters. A good literary device. When one confuses the facts and fictions on such matters... well there is a spectrum that runs from "fooled" to "deluded" to "denial of reality". One gets to pick ones position on those matters too. I for one have no problem respecting the delusions of others. The easter rabbit delivers nice baskets and Santa brings presents on occasion. :)
[/quote]When you give a character a proper name you still have to capitalize it.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Aug 15, 2005 03:04PM)
[quote]
On 2005-08-14 19:45, ringmaster wrote:...When you give a character a proper name you still have to capitalize it. [/quote]

Agreed Ringmaster. My issue is with those who mistake the obvious non-name for a single real person who wrote the text and who then proceed to make comment about the mindset etc of that person, who may in fact be many people including an editor or two. It would be fun and amusing for all if they were not serious about it. In literary theory this is a case of a text creating its author in the minds of the readership. A feat worthy of Umberto Eco. Again, laudable were it not in the community of magicians who are supposed to be far beyond such things.
[quote]

alan
[/quote]
I don´t have a problem with questioning dogmas. It depends on how it is done....

Magixx
Well, a good way to lose respect, in my opinion, is making fun of beginners or younger members.

You were all young and inexperienced once, guys. It's all to easy to laugh, but not so easy to learn. Remember that, the next time you deride the sometimes over-enthusiastic or currently nieve beginner.

The way you respond today, could be the straw to determine if they consign their fledgling hobby to the trashcan or develop into a star of tomorrow.
The ones I love:

- Which is the best card effects from all the times? (Why? Do you know at least one?)

- Which is the best automatic card routine? (Lazy... lazy...)

- I have this book, Which is best effect from it? (What´s up`? Is reading boring for you?)

- Where to buy the new coolest cobra-tiger-elephant white-rose-green cards made by ellusionist? (If you ask me where to learn magic, maybe I would answer you).

- Dvds or books to learn? (First... learn).

- I have cheat my friends and win them money with poker (Great for you! Thanks because now I know of who I will never be a friend).

Of course, the "how Blaine levitates?" is the best one :)

All the best magic,

Pablo Tejero :bikes:
I don't like people earning posts by posting things like;

this has been discussed before
try the search function

Rannie

If we want to help, might as well go all the way. Otherwise its just blabber.
When you have more than 5000 posts, you aren't posting this to increase your post count, you are posting it because some unenlightened soul didn't try looking first.

A perfect example is the one recently posted in the busking forum, called Permits?

If they had searched using the word permit, they would have found the thread that they have been referred to.

Try searching on "cups and balls" just once. See what you find.

Here's one that, as far as I'm concerned, shows the ultimate in laziness.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=129450&forum=30&1

I googled Yigal Mesika and found the information. I'm not going to post it on the forum. If someone wants the information, he or she can google it as well.

If you count the keystrokes it took the original poster to ask the question and compare it to the 16 keystrokes it would take to google it, this shows not laziness, but a lack of initiative.

I realize that his web site isn't on the first page. It's a bunch of dealers there, but when you find his web site on the second page, it is pretty obvious which one it is.

"You must learn to think for yourselves!" -- Brian
"WE MUST LEARN TO THINK FOR OURSELVES!" -- the crowd -- from Life of Brian
[quote]
On 2005-08-06 23:38, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
[quote]
On 2005-08-06 15:37, Bill Palmer wrote:...I guess Persi Diaconis would have no respect on the Café -- Harry Riser often refers to the book as Erdnase in normal conversation. I recall the Professor doing the same thing.[/quote]

Persi is smart enough to know the difference between calling it "erdnase" and "Erdnase"=author. For the young... [/quote]

[i]Young[/i] and [i]smart[/i] are not necessarily exclusive. (Not that I'm young. Nor would I claim to be smart.)

Most hobbies or professions have their own understood shorthand. And [i]"Erdnase"[/i] is often to be used as understood shorthand for [i]"Expert at the Card Table"[/i]. And, more to the point, that [b]isn't[/b] the privilege of some inner coterie of magic. If it's ok for PD to say it, it's ok for me to say it.

Dave
One way to lose respect permanently is to show your hindquarters to the whole forum, leave, come back and leave almost instantly.
Oooo.... very cutting John. And I thought you were a roll model ;)

Mind you it's happened before with the fellow in question, so no real suprises there. I think some people just get more upset/intense over board type things and need longer to chill than others.
"I got $10 for my birthday, what should I buy?"

"I want the exact same thing I saw McBride do. But I don't want to spend over $50..."

"I need it for a paid show this Saturday"
Those are typical! Gotta laugh!

Posted: Sep 3, 2005 11:16am
Quote:
On 2005-08-15 16:04, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-08-14 19:45, ringmaster wrote:...When you give a character a proper name you still have to capitalize it.

Agreed Ringmaster. My issue is with those who mistake the obvious non-name for a single real person who wrote the text and who then proceed to make comment about the mindset etc of that person, who may in fact be many people including an editor or two. It would be fun and amusing for all if they were not serious about it. In literary theory this is a case of a text creating its author in the minds of the readership. A feat worthy of Umberto Eco. Again, laudable were it not in the community of magicians who are supposed to be far beyond such things.

Sort of like that one classic episode of "M.A.S.H." about the imaginary Lt. Tuttle? (If you happened to see it.)

Sounds like a kid wanting to spend his/her new found gain on a wise choice. Why lose respect? I bought Mark Wilson's Cyclopedia of Magic for $1 at a second hand store. A set of sponge balls at $4.95. Two decks of Bikes at Wally World for $3. Right there under $10 I got something going. A chance to guide a youngster in the right direction, yes, loss of respect, no.

No disrespect intended.
That's a good perspective you are coming from. We all gotta' start somewhere. My first effects purchased were "Color Changing Ball to square" and "Proffesors Nightmare", and a little packet efect involving four queens. Not exactly an auspicious start, but it has led me to this point after twenty or thirty years.

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step"
[quote]

"Hi, I'm the GREATEST in the world! I've done more for this art than any man living; YOU know it; I know it! I invented EVERYTHING and did it BETTER than anyone else! You say you invented that effect?!? Come to the convention with your videos and press clippings to prove it, and I'll bring mine to prove you wrong!
Bow down before me!"

Steve

[/quote]

Yeah, but Mark gets killed everytime he shows up.
Who's Mark?
My 2% of $1.00 is really bad spelling and grammer.
I'm going bizarre and want to get some use of my old children's show props. Any suggestions? I already fingured out how to dye the old costume black and curl the toes on the big shoes.
[quote]
On 2005-09-03 17:36, Jerrine wrote:

Sounds like a kid wanting to spend his/her new found gain on a wise choice. Why lose respect? I bought Mark Wilson's Cyclopedia of Magic for $1 at a second hand store. A set of sponge balls at $4.95. Two decks of Bikes at Wally World for $3. Right there under $10 I got something going. A chance to guide a youngster in the right direction, yes, loss of respect, no.

No disrespect intended.
[/quote]

WHAT???? :goof: !!!!

You could have saved another $5 up, and bought a packet trick at Penguin Magic.

No disrespect intended ;)
While I agree that someone asking for information that can be readily found with a little effort is annoying, there is something that I intensely dislike: when someone asks for members' opinions about some aspect of magic, invariably, a long-time user will chime in with, "That topic has already been discussed here; use the search function." The unspoken message is, "Everything of any value can that can be said about the topic has already been said. Stop wasting our time." Well, I'm sorry, but new members are joining all the time, and many of them might have something valuable to say, regardless of whether or not others have already expressed their opinion. What's more, people change their minds, learn something new, have a life-altering experience, etc., and might have a different opinion now than when the topic was originally discussed. If you don't feel like adding your thoughts to a thread, don't, but don't be so patronizing and condescending as to assume that just because a topic has been discussed before, there's nothing new that anyone can add.
One way is to use "chat room English." Ppl who don't have enuf courtesy 2 spell out words can really make you hurl.

Other things along this line -- PEOPLE WHO WRITE IN ALL CAPS! Hey, that's shouting, man!

and people who write in all lowercase. maybe it's supposed to be cool or something. you have a shift key. USE IT!
[quote]
On 2005-09-05 11:58, jwebyra wrote:
[/quote] :bigsmile: As a moderator on another site, I agree! I like the way you spelled grammar to make your point.

I also lose respect for those who berate, belittle, or otherwise disrespect people for merely expressing an opinion that does not harm anyone else.
[quote]
On 2005-09-06 23:40, Phaedrus wrote:
..."That topic has already been discussed here; use the search function." The unspoken message is, "Everything of any value can that can be said about the topic has already been said. Stop wasting our time." ... If you don't feel like adding your thoughts to a thread, don't, but don't be so patronizing and condescending as to assume that just because a topic has been discussed before, there's nothing new that anyone can add.
[/quote]
I agree that some of these messages could be a little more gentle, but I don't agree with the "unspoken message" you're getting. I really don't think the people who post "do a search" think that there's nothing new to add. There's nothing to prevent people from adding to the old thread instead of starting a new one.

When folks don't use the search and just start a new topic - all the information in the previous threads is essentially ignored in favor of the new thread, resulting in a lot of extra effort to get back to the same level of discussion in the older thread. It's certainly a different story if a search doesn't result in an answer to your question - but even then, I'd think it a lot more valuable to everyone to add your question or observation to an existing pertinent thread so the existing topic keeps building instead of starting from scratch each time.
One thing that gets me, regarding the lack of the use of searches, is when you go to one of your favorite sections of the forum and you see a topic that reads "What is your favorite _____?" and two topics below it is one that says
"My favorite _____"

If you don't pay attention, you are never going to be worth beans at this.
Repeats...Repeats and Repeats. I am starting to see the same questions over and over. There is really some good stuff here if one does a search.
I just think it's such a stupid name- Dai Vernon! What good can a magician be with a name like that? It should be something cool like "Magical Me".
[quote]
On 2005-09-12 00:06, Bill Palmer wrote:
One way is to use "chat room English." Ppl who don't have enuf courtesy 2 spell out words can really make you hurl.

Other things along this line -- PEOPLE WHO WRITE IN ALL CAPS! Hey, that's shouting, man!

and people who write in all lowercase. maybe it's supposed to be cool or something. you have a shift key. USE IT!
[/quote]

We can be grateful we don't have the guy I saw on a newsgroup who not only wrote in all caps, but placed astericks around each word! *ALL* *OF* *HIS* *POSTS* *LOOKED* *LIKE* *THIS!*
Bill Palmer wrote:
[quote]
"One way is to use "chat room English." Ppl who don't have enuf courtesy 2 spell out words can really make you hurl.

and people who write in all lowercase. maybe it's supposed to be cool or something. you have a shift key. USE IT!"
[/quote]
Laugh out loud (I didn't want to get caught abbreviating) and ditto.
Not knowing how to "quote". Just kidding, 4e. (Look above the post that you want to quote, and click, "quote" . . . "Viola!!" Yes, that is the wrong spelling for Voila. . . I was quoting an old Mad Magazine.)

Ditto what 4e and Bill said, too! I don't allow that on the site I moderate, either.

People who are always disagreeable; everything becomes a debate.
Agressive peoples
Bad spelling and grammar and caps lock and text speak don't bother me, although I don't use them myself, and understand that they're frowned upon by the forum management.

We're here to discuss magic aren't we? As long as one can understand the member, I think a meaningful conversation can develop. The reason I bring it up is that the "proper english" attitude taken to extreme can discourage some younger members and there isn't enough encouragement for younger members. Especially with all those rude put downs about "use the search function" or "reading some basic magic text or other before you ask questions like that".
The problem with all of this non-standard stuff is that it interferes with communication. I design everything with the lowest standard of vision in mind. There are more people on the internet who are visually handicapped or impaired than most people realize. I'm glad we don't have a color font option. Some people can't read colors. A really clever post done in multiple colors (actually an oxymoron) may look like this S j rt pew w w sf.!
(or worse!)

Posts that are in all caps are hard to read. Chatroom English is lazy English. And I must admit that when I see ppl who rite n chat, I am turned off by it.
WhT rLlY aNnYs Me Is WhN PePlE fEeL tHe NeEd 2 TlK lYk Dis.
Aargh I mean just why do it!
[quote]

[/quote]

People writting in lowercase lose your respect? WOW... I think this thread is EXACTLY what the problem is with us magicians... "Top ten reasons to lose respect on The Magic Café" please.... respect from who? from people who have thousands of posts? people who sit here all day posting and ranting? I'll voice my opinion based on experience and what works for me and I really don't care if I lose anyone's respect on this website over my posts....

Why did it affect me when I saw your post?

because my name is eric, and I am a lowercase writter!!!!!!!!!! hehe
[quote]On 2005-09-16 23:39, Bill Palmer wrote:
The problem with all of this non-standard stuff is that it interferes with communication.[/quote]To expand on this; it makes it more difficult for the non-native English speakers to figure out what is meant, and in the more extreme cases, even those who are fairly accomplished English speakers can be unsure.
Please accept my apologies for writing in non-caps. No harm is meant.
Talking about losing respect here, is beginning to strike me as funny. My only benefit here is association, but it's like associating with the letters to the editor in the newspaper. While I like this place, I really don't think you should make too much of it.
There are two reasons that writing in all lowercase bothers me. One is that it makes reading more difficult. I have a visual impairment that makes abnormal typing very difficult for me to read. All lowercase is much easier to read, though than all uppercase. The other reason is that it is a sign of laziness. It's barely one step up the ladder from chatroom English.

Your writing is the only real reference that I have to you. If you are a sloppy writer, I have to read through a lot of your material to decide whether it is a matter of not wanting to present yourself to the best of your ability or whether it is a matter of not knowing how. I usually reserve judgment until I have had a chance to read a number of posts.

I don't expect a non-native writer to handle the quirks of the English language. English has the worst spelling anomalies of any modern language. Once you learn the Cyrillic alphabet, you can at least approach proper pronunciation of Russian. You can't do that with English. Give a non-native speaker a sentence like, "The bough next to the big trough fell through the thoroughly weakened roof."

He will cry, "That's enough!" before he can get through it. ;)
An Italian once told me that he spells 'fish' as 'ghoti'. GH as in 'enough', o as in 'women', ti as in 'motion'.

I saw something recently that just amazed me. One fellow criticized Pete Biro, called his products over-priced and noted that he's 'in cahoots' (his words) with Porper.

Holy moses! How many ways can you mess up in just one post? Mr. Biro has been tireless in his helping others and has a lot of people that really like him (I might be president of that club). He is exceptionally honest and not in CAHOOTS with anyone. He has a valid and unmasked business relationship. He is also a sponsor of the site so he has every right to advertise - FURTHER - there are those of us that value quality and WANT to know when he has new products.

Poor fella really caught it.
Cups and balls is a ridiculous, pointless and boring trick...... that's how you lose respect on here... (I meant every word I just wrote)
[quote]
On 2005-09-20 13:08, rikbrooks wrote:
An Italian once told me that he spells 'fish' as 'ghoti'. GH as in 'enough', o as in 'women', ti as in 'motion'.

I saw something recently that just amazed me. One fellow criticized Pete Biro, called his products over-priced and noted that he's 'in cahoots' (his words) with Porper.

Holy moses! How many ways can you mess up in just one post? Mr. Biro has been tireless in his helping others and has a lot of people that really like him (I might be president of that club). He is exceptionally honest and not in CAHOOTS with anyone. He has a valid and unmasked business relationship. He is also a sponsor of the site so he has every right to advertise - FURTHER - there are those of us that value quality and WANT to know when he has new products.

Poor fella really caught it.
[/quote]

Your Italian friend must be a fan of Shaw.

Regarding Pete Biro and Joe Porper -- there has been no attempt to conceal the relationship between these two suppliers. Pete comes up with ideas and Joe makes them. Sometimes Joe comes up with his own ideas. Porper is a genius when it comes to metalworking.

Anyone who complains about these two guys is doomed to be out of business within a year.
Bill there is only one genius in magic today...........
He is Steve Dusheck the Mad Genius Of Magic, Steve Has put out more magic effects on the open market than anyone else that I know of . <and now he is producing business card effects ,,,,,,,,,,,,
vinny
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Sep 21, 2005 08:37AM)
[quote]
On 2005-09-21 02:15, vinsmagic wrote:
...there is only one genius in magic today...[/quote]

I guess that works too.
[quote]
On 2005-09-21 00:44, Bill Palmer wrote:
[quote]
On 2005-09-20 13:08, rikbrooks wrote:

Anyone who complains about these two guys is doomed to be out of business within a year.

[/quote]

ARE YOU KIDDING ME.. You didn't just write that...... wow...
Here's a few:

-Do you think david Blaine was cold when he stood in a box of ice?
-7331 speak.
-Any one want to trade tricks?
-"Did you know that there is an actual art of levitation called 'Yogic Flying'?" (this is an actual post form ultimate magic)
-"Odes Pearlman rules, never steals his effects and never loses money when he Four-walls."

PS. This is the funniest topic ever, congrats to whoever started it.
Its OZ Pearlman by the way
Lmao
Message: Posted by: Marshall Thornside (Sep 26, 2005 01:35PM)
Oh the magic Café drama!
[quote]On 2005-09-25 15:44, glatner wrote:
-"Did you know that there is an actual art of levitation called 'Yogic Flying'?" (this is an actual post form ultimate magic)[/quote]In as much as this is something that Doug Henning was involved with (Transcendental Meditation), it is not completely off the wall to note it here, regardless of one's own beliefs. I learned TM, but I am a skeptic when it comes to this, and some other aspects of the teachings. (I was in it for the peace, man!)
[quote]
On 2005-09-05 11:58, jwebyra wrote:
[/quote]

Your rite....That relly iritats me to....
I lose respect for
those who give no concrete criticism or flame when they should just keep their fingers off the keyboard,
those who talk down to others and make a point of implying that they are superior,
those who never give an overall, "Thanks" to Café members when given assistance,
those who want members to supply every detail on what, where, how because they are too lazy to do their own research,
those who are here [i]only[/i] to promote themselves or products and offer no real help to others.

Those I have respect for are
those who assist others to the best of their knowledge and in terms all members can understand.
Thanks to those members.
"I watched the demo, and instantly figured out the method." (aaa, yeah, Even though the item would not be released for another month, and he is the only genius to "know the method"...lol)......
Arrgggghhhh!!!! I'll never get to 50 posts following these rulez!

All I want is a litte respect! (just a little bit... just a little bit...)
Those who think everything should just be handed to them, without any work on their part.

Those who complain about the price of magic. When I got into magic, (No. It wasn't yesterday.) instrutional videos were $60.00 each. I considered each one money well spent. Too much is "given" away today.
Message: Posted by: Marshall Thornside (Oct 6, 2005 09:00AM)
Why don't we just starting singing the song 'little respect'
for those want just a LITTLE respect?
Is that "sock it to me" a Laugh-in reference?

This from a generation that spells "relief" R O L A I D S

;)
Promising and then not delivering................
" I just got back from my world tour."

" I need some new big illusions for my new world tour in 2 weeks."

" Thanks to my assistant for her help on my new world tour."

" Thanks to all those members who PM'd me to congratulate me on my new world tour"
Heh. heh.
People who are living proof of this joke:

"how many magicians does it take to change a light bulb?"

A: 100. 1 to change it into a rabbit , 2 to say they know how he did it, 7 to say they can do it better, and 90 to say they did it first!
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Oct 10, 2005 01:51PM)
[quote]
On 2005-10-10 14:23, glatner wrote:
"how many magicians does it take to change a light bulb?" ...1 to change it into a rabbit ...[/quote]

Excellent idea in that one. Anyone actually doing such a thing in performance? Something about a magician changing a light bulb into a rabbit strikes a chord.
[quote]
On 2005-10-10 14:51, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
[quote]
On 2005-10-10 14:23, glatner wrote:
"how many magicians does it take to change a light bulb?" ...1 to change it into a rabbit ...[/quote]

Excellent idea in that one. Anyone actually doing such a thing in performance? Something about a magician changing a light bulb into a rabbit strikes a chord.
[/quote]

Either you're kidding or your instrument is missing a couple of strings. :)
Light bulb to rabbit??? Why??? heheh
I just get annoyed badly when people new to magic say:

"I made up this new trick and am selling it in my notes."

AHHHH!! I hate that!

Posted: Oct 10, 2005 8:34pm
Ah! I thought of another one!

When a kid posts a video saying "I am performing this after 1 day!" and its a load of garbage waste .
But seriously, so many people put up videos of tricks unpracticed and brag about them. Then when people criticize them they say "But I've only practiced it for 1 day!"
Posting twice, sometimes it is an accident.
1) I don't LIKE WHO POSTS WRITING ALL IN UPPERCASE;
2) and I do'nt like who make a lot of englisch errores;
3) and I don't like who doesn't finish his sentences, because he's;
4)and I don't like who uses lot of smiles in his posts :thumbsdown: ,they make me mad :mad:, you know what I mean ;), I would see them cry :bawl: and burn in hell :angry:
6) and I don't like who is not able to count and makes errors in the indexes of the lists
7) and I don't like who doesn't add a signature to his posts
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Oct 11, 2005 07:46AM)
There is a nice trick to make a point about someone's writing online without directing your comment to them personally; you change the name when you do the quote function. Today someone missed my point in changing their name when I quoted them. I decided they have lost my respect as a person. Sad to see a young wannabe transform into a chimp at a typewriter. I feel bad for the chimp.
[quote]
On 2005-10-11 08:46, Jonathon Townsend wrote:
There is a nice trick to make a point about someone's writing online without directing your comment to them personally; you change the name when you do the quote function. Today someone missed my point in changing their name when I quoted them. I decided they have lost my respect as a person. Sad to see a young wannabe transform into a chimp at a typewriter. I feel bad for the chimp.

[/quote]

Surely that's not a fair thing to do ;)
Not knowing how to "quote". Just kidding, 4e. (Look above the post that you want to quote, and click, "quote" . . . "Viola!!" Yes, that is the wrong spelling for Voila. . . I was quoting an old Mad Magazine.)

So that's how you do it!!! I am officialy off the annoying list. Now, if I can just learn to spell...

Miguel Rangel

Posted: Oct 16, 2005 3:37am
Quote:
On 2005-09-16 02:45, JesterMan wrote:

Ditto what 4e and Bill said, too! I don't allow that on the site I moderate, either.

People who are always disagreeable; everything becomes a debate.

AHHHH! I didn't work! Let me try again. Did it work?
Oh by the way that joke isn't mine. I don't remember who told it to me though.

Gabe
[quote]
On 2005-10-04 11:54, llsouder wrote:

[/quote]

People who murder karaoke songs for a joke!

And well done for getting past 50 posts!

(Also! people who don't understand that I'm having a joke WITH them!) (not AT them!)

:lol: :rotf: :lol:

Chris :.... Ooooooooooooooo! That's more than 50 for me! :dancing:

Posted: Oct 16, 2005 6:42pm
Quote:
On 2005-10-11 08:46, David Copperfield wrote:
There is a nice trick to make a point about someone's writing online without directing your comment to them personally; Sad to see a young wannabe transform into a chimp at a typewriter. I feel bad for the chimp.

Yes! thanks Dave! If you get past 50 posts, we wanna talk to you!

(Chris runs and hides in his extremely large base!)

It's a joke!!!

That's my respect gone up in smoke! (Smoke is dangerous! - do not try this at home!)

Posted: Oct 16, 2005 7:06pm
Quote:
On 2005-10-11 05:51, Roland78 wrote:
1) I don't LIKE WHO POSTS WRITING ALL IN UPPERCASE;

GET A NEW KEYBOARD THEN!
Quote:
2) and I do'nt like who make a lot of englisch errores;

Hey! I'm English and STILL don't understand my language or my toping!
Quote:
3) and I don't like who doesn't finish his sentences, because he's;

You are a fine one to talk! if only you would... and umm, so, like, as it is, what, and also...
Quote:
4)and I don't like who uses lot of smiles in his posts ,they make me mad , you know what I mean , I would see them cry and burn in hell

"I don't like who uses lot of smiles in his posts" Ingrish grand ma PLEASE!
Quote:

6) and I don't like who is not able to count and makes errors in the indexes of the lists

well that's 64.789000128 mystakes you've made! So if we divide the number by two and subtract the first number you thought of... YOUR CARD IS THE ACE OF SPADES!

Quote:
7) and I don't like who doesn't add a signature to his posts
.................................................!
Ok. I thinnk this thread can be declared dead.
"Not only am I better than you, but I know it and I get this point across by infusing my posts with a subtle arrogance."
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Oct 20, 2005 02:40PM)
My hands are too big! They make Silver dollars look like dimes. You guyz have any suggestions for coins that won't vanish in my hands?
[quote]
On 2005-10-20 15:40, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
My hands are too big! They make Silver dollars look like dimes. You guyz have any suggestions for coins that won't vanish in my hands?
[/quote]

Take up card manipulation instead?
[quote]
On 2005-10-20 18:16, RandyStewart wrote:
[quote]
On 2005-10-20 15:40, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
[/quote]

Take up card manipulation instead?
[/quote]

Did you mean with jumbo cards ;)
Looking for any coin dvd by Reed Mclintock...I have a show Friday, and I want to do some of his stuff... :) ...
Confusing buying stuff with becoming a magician. The rules seem to be "He who owns the most props is the best magician", "Buy every new prop as soon as it comes out" and "If your show stinks, buy more props and it will be better instantly".

I resolve to buy fewer props in 2006 and work on the multitude that I already have. Happy New Year!
How to loose respect on the café.

Post anything.

Or Start a thread on how to loose respect on the café.

Just Kidding, I Am Kidding.

LOL
[quote]

"Hi, I'm the [b]greatest[/b] in the world! I've done more for this art than any man living; [b]You[/b] know it; I know it! I invented [b]everything[/b] and did it [b]better[/b] than anyone else! You say you invented that effect?!? Come to the convention with your videos and press clippings to prove it, and I'll bring mine to prove you wrong!
Bow down before me!"

Steve
[/quote]
You know Mark Lewis?

Posted: Jan 7, 2006 12:03pm
Quote:
On 2005-08-01 21:46, JohnLamberti wrote:

You missed the "your" "you're" gaff that keeps happening.

"I've seen you're act! Your not as great as you think you are!"

Posted: Jan 7, 2006 12:08pm
Quote:
On 2005-08-02 00:10, Frank Tougas wrote:
#10. My Classic force is so good nobody ever questions it

I don't do the Classic Force, or the Pass for that matter. So I can't comment
Quote:
#9. I don't have any money for books could someone make me a copy

"You'd be surprised how often that works" - Lawer Muntz on the Simpsons
Quote:
#8. I have some copies of books I'd like to trade or sell
#7. What does TT mean?
#6. What is Dai Vernon's real name?

That's just silly. Everyone knows it's Melvin.
Quote:
#5. I just got into magic how much should I charge for a show?

One MILLION Dollars! Bwhahahaha. Then start negotiating.
Quote:
#4. What's a routine?

Something you do over and over again until even you're sick of it!
Quote:
#3. I just invented a new trick, how can I market it?

http://www.penquinmagic.com
Quote:
#2. What's the best _______ trick.
and the number 1 best way to lose respect...... Drum Roll ..... Tedious ain't it?

#1. Ellusionist ROCKS!!!

Frank Tougas

Sounds like a dinosaur. Am I compeltely out of the loop because I don't know what Ellusionist IS?

Posted: Jan 8, 2006 9:26pm
Quote:

It would actually take me longer to figure out how to spell out the internet version than it does to just type regular English!
Misuse a bogus title.

Example:

Sign a post Dr. John Cass M.D.

Real doctors NEVER sign anything using both titles. It would either be Dr. John Cass or John Cass, M.D.

The other way meands "doctor doctor." They teach this at medical school.

Also, if you are going to call yourself a doctor, make sure you use the name of someone who is actually licensed. These things are very easy to check up on.
You noticed that, too!
I dislike people who make personal attacks, especially when their directed towards younger/newer magicians, imagine if the people you looked up to started to make fun of you. My other pet peeve is when people start threads about topics they already know about. Don't get me wrong here, if someone knows about a certain subject and is still curious, that’s fine. But don't start threads just for the hell of it.

Also, from now on, I pledge that I will do my best to type with proper grammar as to no longer annoy any others such as Bill or give off the persona of someone that is illiterate.

Daniel
Daniel:

Sometimes people start threads about things they know about because they have seen a plethora of posts about the subject that either were grossly uninformed or completely misinterpreted a statement. One good example is the famous (mis)quote from Robert-Houdin -- "A magician is an actor playing the part of a magician." That's a partial quote, and it's actually taken out of context.

But some people have based entire careers on that statement. When they find out the actual context of it, and why it was included in the book, they learn that it doesn't mean exactly what they thought it did.

Regarding grammar and spelling -- well, they are important, especially if you want to be clear in what you are saying. If I ask someone what he means by a particular word or phrase, especially if the word is one that simply does not exist in English, it is because I want to understand him, not because I want to put him down.
[quote]
On 2005-10-11 20:46, BlackShadow wrote:
[quote]
On 2005-10-11 08:46, Jonathon Townsend wrote:

[/quote]

Surely that's not a fair thing to do ;)
[/quote]

I don't care if it's fair or not. And don't call me Shirley!

Posted: Jan 28, 2006 5:43am
Quote:

On 2005-10-16 18:34, Shrubsole wrote:
Quote:

On 2005-10-04 11:54, llsouder wrote:

People who murder karaoke songs for a joke!

And well done for getting past 50 posts!

(Also! people who don't understand that I'm having a joke WITH them!) (not AT them!)

Chris :.... Ooooooooooooooo! That's more than 50 for me!

I've done karaoke. I'm probably not very good at it. What I've done is to have them play a legitimate song; (Another One Bites The Dust, Addicted to Love) and then sing the lyrics to Weird Al Yanokvich's verisons (Another One Rides The Bus, Addicted to Spuds). Crowd seems to like it.
"hey I'm gone be right back later. Im gonna do street magic"

"How does this work, What is the secret please tell me"

Those are 2 of the best. I can stand english error since not everybody has english as his/her first language.

Cheers.
How to lose respect on The Magic Café...

#1. I killed a man once.