(Close Window)
Topic: Floating cigarette on stage
Hi guys
I'm gonna be performing Fearson's floating cigarette on stage(except with a kazoo). Have you got any tips on keeping the IT invisible to the audience. I have limited control over the lighting. But I know the background will be black. How about music? What type of music should I have playing, if any?

Thanks
Victor
Kevlar for the IT striped in with different markers to break up a solid l***
For Stage ample lighting for the Background (Not Black which sounds like the opposite)
A good resource for this is Losander's "the Art of Levitation" DVD where he covers the back lighting.

If I remember Fearsons F C uses body h*** *P so the stage is not as important as what you wear.
Sorry glodmagic, I'm a bit confused. SHould I be wearing dark clothing and bright background?
On STAGE?

Okkkkk

Well firstly the thread will need to be VERY strong.

Secondly you will have to really work on your body positioning (assuming you are using the body hookup).

Remember that when you perform the floating cigarette close up, your spectators are consumed in the effect and will not notice you leaning forward a bit and swaying to control the motion.

However on stage the audience has an 'all over' view of you and these things will become very obvious!

Gary
Vict46,

The LAST thing I would worry about is the thread being seen. You're on stage, presumably a distance from audience. If you doing a dancing hank, floating lightbulb or floating ball, then I would certainly consider the background and lighting. However, for the Fearson floating *whatever* I would be more concerned with what you wear so that the floating object SHOWS up against you at that distance. I'm sure a kazoo is not too heavy, I've used a fake rose (plastic covered wire steam, cloth petals kind) and it was plenty strong.

Good luck,

John
You will really need some one to spot for you at the actual venue so you can set the lights. Usually you wiil want lights to hit you from the front and not the back. Back lights usually expose the I.T.

I think the kazoo is a great idea. The routine usually does not last very long, a minute at the most. Maybe you start by playing a toon on the kazoo and some other music comes in, like more kazoos. Flight of the bumble bee comes to mind but on the kazoo. You balance the kazoo on your tongue, and then your finger, float it from hand to hand, then to the floor and all the way back up to you mouth...

Wow that's ounds like a great routine idea... I wish I thought of a kazoo...

Fitz
Why does the IT have to be very strong? It's only a cigarette.
Also, do not color or stripe your IT, this causes the IT to more than double in size...keep it black.
The only thing I am careful about with thread is the lighting. I make sure that I am not directly in bright light.
As far as music goes I love the acoustic version of "Days go by" by Dirty Vegas. You may remember "Days go by" from the clubs for a while and from the popular Mazda commercial. The acoustic version is the perfect length for my routine and the lyrics fit the "angst of being unable to smoke/ trying to quit" rather well.

I made up a "No Smoking" Sign where the "No" vanishes. After I light up I pretend to just notice the sign. I blow a puff of smoke at it and the "No" vanishes. The smokers in the audience go wild :)