(Close Window)
Topic: TT Tricks
All right fellow magicians... how are you all doing? Fine I hope.

Do any of you magicians out there use the TT in your routines. I bought one and Darwin's 101 TT Tricks and I am currently working my way through the booklet. So if any of you use a TT what tricks do you do.

Best Regards

Take Care all of you MAGIC
How is that booklet, James? I've been meaning to buy a book and a tt, but I don't know where I would start with one.
Hey there

I got a TT and I always cary it with me every where I go, to preform a nice papermoney switch in front of their eyes

PM me fore more details
I saw Cellini do an awesome silk color change with a TT. It was incredible because of his handling of the effect. So simple, yet in his hands it was like looking at a living, breathing, practical and functional piece of artwork.

It humbled me. A big ego is a problem in the magic community. I did not even understand my own fully, until this trick showed me what real magic is. Often, the simplest of ingredients are the only things needed to perform illusions of great wonder and spectacle.
I can still remember the chills of excitement when I first got a TT, but it seems lots of layman know of its existence, with plenty of cheap packet tricks including a TT.
Are there any resources out there (preferably video) that would do justice to such an ingenious device? Would really love to learn how to handle a TT beautifully.
Thanks y'all :righton:

James,
Figured I went off track here, abt the tricks I do,
*billswap
*cigarette thru tie
*silk production
* cut and restored
*salt shaker (can't remember the exact name of this one, but you show your hand being empty and pour out salt from your palm)

Cheers! BTW there's another TT thread in this section as well. :righton:
TT in one hand together with a sugar cube (both concealed). Pour a sachet of sugar (the sort found in cafés) into your hand (actually) into the TT. Steal the tip and sugar in the usual way. The sugar has apparently become a cube. Gets a great reaction, out of all proportion to the simple method.
What kind of TTs do you people use and are they convincing as a part of you ;)?
The book you have bough is great -not in dimension I mean. But I also recommend you to buy the Milbourne Christopher's "50 tricks wit a TT." It is cheap and GREAT.. :swordbasket: :rabbitfromhat: :subtrunk: :stuckinbag: :magicrabbit:
I like the 41 cent miracle in Michael Ammar's Easy to Master Money Miracles.
I use it for a bill switch, vanishing bill, various small item switches or vanishes, and to levitate my business card.
Dissapearing hank. One of the best tricks out there.
Nappa,

Just trust me on this, buy a Vernet hard tip. No question, the best.

Eric Grossman
For those of you who are afraid that too many people know about the TT, try a FT instead. When people go looking for the TT and it's not there, they're extremely surprised (of course, they're looking in the wrong place, but don't know it).

I was burned bad by this and learned that way how effective it can be.
Appearing, color changing then vanishing silk.
[quote]
On 2003-12-22 09:31, Eric Grossman wrote:
Nappa,

Just trust me on this, buy a Vernet hard tip. No question, the best.

Eric Grossman
[/quote]

I have to disagree. The Vernet is really good, but I think the best TT's come from Magic Masters. But the bottom line is, it's a matter of personal preference. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.
Of course I use TT, I don't leave the house without it! I use my TT mostly in Bill switches.
I bought a TT and Darwin's book because I felt mastering a TT was a must. I was fairly disappointed with the booklet and videos I saw on the Net. The TT thus remained in my magic case, unused. I am presently taking a magic course and the teacher showed us how to handle the classic appearing/disappearing hanky. The moves he showed us are way beyond anything I had ever read in a book and because of his handling, I am willing to spend the time and effort to master this trick now.

All that to say that the way to handle a TT is greatly misunderstood by many authors and magicians. There must be some good literature or DVDs on the TT but Darwin's book is at best, a source of inspiration for effects, not handling.

Hope this helps...

Merry Christmas to all! :xmas:

Richard
So what will the most experiencied magicians say about what is the best book or resource on TT tricks?

Hope everyone had a nice xmas,

Bruno
I second the idea for the use of the finger tip, it reduces the number of effects you can do, I find, but it builds in a safety factor. :fruity:
There's some great handling and lots of varied effects on the following video: Secret Seminars of Magic with Patrick Page: Thumb Tips by L&L Publishing. Takes you way beyond the pamphlets mentioned above.
Nicholas
I also have a 101 tricks booklet and a couple of TT's. I'm finding a little hard to fit stuff in there though. Is anyone of you experimenting the same? For example, a simple paper napkin goes in there and my thumb won't fit anymore, same with hankies or some coins. Maybe the TT are small for my thumb size, but the guy at the store helped me out picking it and said it was the right size for me.
I use a thumb tip a lot and my experience is that you cannot fit napkins, handkerchiefs, or even whole cigarettes into it. You must stick with things like part of a napkin (just a corner that you can pull out enough to give the spectator a peek of what is assumed to be a complete napkin, etc. Even to vanish a cigarette, it may be necessary to remove some of the tobacco or vanish a half-smoked cigarette so it will be small enough to fit. In a normal size Vernet thumb tip, I can fit only 1 six-inch fine silk comfortably. In the large Vernet tip, I can fit one or two rainbow streamers or 3 six-inch silks. However, paper napkins, etc. are too thick. My silks are very fine/thin. These, along with the silk streamers can be purchased at most magic shops. I also second Richard's comments. Patrick Page's Secret Seminar video on thumb tips is excellent and shows much better handling technique than in any of the booklets mentioned.
Hope this is of some help.
Nicholas
Sure Nicholas, thanks a lot! I will try some things to see what I can fit in there and use that. I'm off to get some 6" silks and start from there. Thanks...
Do you have any suggestions for a TT that will accommodate magicians with a darker complexion? I'm a magic dealer and have many Filipino customers who enjoy magic. I have used a TT, but my complexion is much lighter. While in New Orleans, I observed and talked with a very dark skinned magician who overcame the light color of the TT by merely keeping his hands moving and only briefly displaying his lighter palms to attempt to give the impression of showing his hands empty. I have noticed that the vinyl TTs I get from Loftus are more brown, but does anyone have any suggestions regarding 1.) The importance of matching the TT with one's skin color and 2.) Routines that actually hide the TT so that the wise are not even aware of the TT's use?
After doing tt effects and I sense someone around who seem to know about the tt, I offer to repeat the effect this time using a pull.
Rannie: a pull? can you explain a little bit more about this please?
I do the dissapearing Hankey. Try pulling it from a table cloth or someone's clothing. Its mind boggling! Laymen LOVE it!

--->Wynsome :wavey:
Cut and restored ribbon is a great TT trick.

Another is vanishing and reappearing salt.

I would suggest that you use a 9" silk for vanishing hank with a TT. Or a 18" to 24" with a pull. The 18" is closest to a regular hankerchief.

Catch me at a convention sometime and I 'll show you how I vanish a 24" silk with a TT. It will a make a magician who thinks he knows how it is done, scratch his head a few times.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
I love my TT. Sure, some spectators know it, but never underestimate the desire of your audience to be fooled.

It sounds like you may not have had the right fit on yours. Go to your local magic shop (if you have one, you lucky slob) and try a few on. Color changing/vanishing silks is a great routine, but at the end of the day there are literally hundreds of effects you can pull off. Use your imagination. Just keep it pointed at them or moving.

In my opinion, the best advice I can give you is that for most spectators, THEY DON'T SEE IT. Act accordingly and have fun!
One of my favorite is the bill switch. Kevin James has a three volume set called Rules of Thumb. Pretty neat stuff.
[quote]
On 2004-01-19 00:32, jmsilhy wrote:
Rannie: a pull? can you explain a little bit more about this please?
[/quote]
p279 (softcover) Mark Wilson's "Complete Course..." You can make your own.
My favorite is the dissapearing hanky. There are so many effects you can use with a TT
Ok, my Wilson's "Complete Course..." is on it's way, I guess I'll learn a lot from there, and I wonder, are there any tricks with a TT in that book?
Jmsilhy,

You are going to be a busy man.

Enjoy!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
[quote]
On 2004-01-30 15:17, jmsilhy wrote:
Ok, my Wilson's "Complete Course..." is on it's way, I guess I'll learn a lot from there, and I wonder, are there any tricks with a TT in that book?
[/quote]
I haven't seen any, but I haven't been through the book either, in fact you probably have more experience than me. I just happened to notice the pull awhile back and marked the page because it looked interesting. Still haven't tried it myself.
Michael Ammar has a nice chapter in his book on the finer points of the TT.

MoonBeam
I like the prior post about the sugar cube, I find silk work best with the TT
A couple of years ago I saw a guy giving a lecture about TT use and to demonstrate it, he did his routine with an all black TT. He was just showing how it's proper use will not be detected.
Brian
I didn't believe others when I they said you could perform with a red thumbtip until I really learned how to use a thumbtip. I picked up Rules of Thumb and the performers really stress which tells give indication that you're using a thumbtip and how to naturally avoid them. From tape 1, I use Steve Valentine's silk to tie routine which is to vanish a silk, make it reappear, and repeat the vanish allowing the spectator to help tuck in the silk, then you pull it from their tie or sleeve or jacket. The handling used on Rules of Thumb makes the tip invisible. My wife knows I have used a thumb tip, but I performed a children's routine for her where I vanish a silk which typically is her tell that I've used a thumb tip. With the improved handling, she didn't see, know or get any sense of the TT. She was amazed. Quickly put, keep the tip hidden in a natural way. It's possible and amazing when performed correctly.