(Close Window)
Topic: Whats offensive?
People are often offended by a lot of stuff...think about it, really

Gathering a crowd you might say, "sir, come and watch the show or I'll pick on you about that shirt". Some might find that offensive...It's obvious that things like "son I'm your real father" is crossing the line...But what if some ole lady hears you say that first line and finds it rude!! And she complains, and then you are gone...Easy for a juggler. It's show time! Come and watch I'm gonna ride that big bike.....Or a tumbler who is doing hand stands...It is obvious...But you as a magician have a problem, your show is interactive, and you have to open your mouth...I often cross the line and ,I know this and do it anyways cause its worth the laugh even though you pay for it in the end. Gazzo the same thing only more...What can people say about your show, that's offensive?

Anything?....You are *** right they can even though you might find its harmless...And is it true that because you are a magician that its more likely that the audience will be offended just because you are interacting....**** right

You might think that just doing strong magic will work on the streets but you are wrong....DEAD wrong....You want the big hats you need to interact and what are you going to say that not offensive....Twisted bible pounding people will find about anything offensive

I lost my cool this weekend and called a guy a jerk...He was but so was I for reacting...Watched a little of my show and walked away, after I insulted a member of my audience. Where you from? Ah, I'll go slow. WOW!! Big insult...So he says to me I'm go do something worthwhile and then I responded, what a jerk! And his wife came up to me in front of 75 people and gave me crap while this putz handed me a flyer which I didn't look at that turns out was a flyer on why I'm a sinner and I better get on the right path...I didn't read, had no clue what it said and chucked it to the ground...at which point the jerk told me I was going to hell for that!!! *** You have got to be kidding me...

Its just not in me to be g rated...and I loose great gigs because of it but I don't find the real good street guys doing g rated material...pg-13 maybe

So I may end up chasing a pitch like the greatest of us are currently doing...wishing I could just settle for crap hats and play it safe NOT!! I try but its just not enough...Because sometime down the road someones gonna find you saying Jesus is great offensive.

koz
I live in the bible belt and find similar flyers all over the place, I tear them up on a regular basis. If you end up in hell, you can bunk with me koz. :)

JoeJoe
Yea well, it sucks when you work your #$% off and loose a gig because someone thinks that you are offensive....I can do 200 people shows all day and then have one person say something bad, and BAM! I'm out ****es me off! I don't do kids shows and I'm not going to lame %^& magic. Just not going to do it, so this might be my price.

koz
I cant beleive no one is replying to this.....this is good stuff...

so I say to the lady, sign your name on the card and your number right below....
oh yea, you need a pen.....so I reach into my bag and pull out a pen with the little chain like they have in the bank and say "yea, got this at the bank, they were just laying there...they should take better care of this stuff...they must be free with the checking account....offensive, why because you are teaching kids to steal come on fellas
koz
JoeJoe-
The funniest post I've read in a while.

Kozmo-
Some people are going to be offended at anything, period. That is their hang up, not yours. Don't be what you are not. If you get lip service, maybe you deserve it in some cases, maybe not. Don't worry about it...
OK, _some_ people can get offended at _anything._ Is there something we can agree on that would be _objectivly_ offensive under any circumstances?
Don't worry about it Ted, I've hit people who have done less so you are still ahead of the game.
Steve V
Ted,

I really go out of my way not to be offensive. I don't have a problem with rough street performers like Gazzo, it's just that my character is from a period during which rough entertainments were being cleaned up for women and children, everything about my act and language is done with Victorian propriety, although I slip occasionally in a fairly restrained way.

This hasn't prevented me from having people attempt to be offended at what I am doing, though. Once I was doing rope through body (Actually Hang 'em High by Bob Sheets) on the street, and I ask these two women to help me. I am polite and very persuasive, but one woman holding the rope is looking away the whole time. I pull the rope through my body, a guy up front just about loses it (it looks great!), but the women holding the ends of the rope don't react at all. One of them is looking away and the other is watching her. The guy who is reacting says, "Wow did you see that!" and the woman who was looking away says that she is a Christian, and believes that magic is evil. So what can I say, I let them go, obviously they don't tip, and I cut that show short.

I'm just telling you this story to show you that you can be as polite as a nineteenth-century deacon, but you are still going to get people who are offended by the existence of magicians on the street. How a rope trick is going to make me burn in torment is beyond me.

You can't please everybody!

Yours,

Paul
You weren't offensive...you ran into someone who actually wanted to hijack your crowd to get their own message across but didn't have the guts to take you on. It happens. Sorry it happened to you.

Curt
And I have offended people by talking about God. It is part of my show, and I warn them up front, and then I talk about God throughout my act.

And sometimes, I have people who don't believe in God, take me to task for what I said, and sometimes I have "CHRISTIANS" take me to task becuase I didn't do or say what they wanted me to do or say.

In either case, I really don't care.

Who I am, is what they see. No more, no less. If I am going to do my act differently, it is up to me. Not them.

I never want to offend any body, [b]any more than is necessary....[/b] But some will be offended, no matter what you say or do. And yes, they can get you kicked off your pitch. But at the end of the day, you will have entertained far more than you have offended, so the scale balances in your favor. And you have to be yourself.

I have heard "harder lines" than that from Koz, and most of the audience enjoys it for what it is, good natured ribbing and part of the act. So I think I agree with Curtis, in that your offense was that you got people to listen to you, when the other guy wasnt able to do that. So he wasnt so much offended as he was jealous.

Don't worry Koz (I know you really aren't worried.....) but whether or not you go to hell, has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you litter. So at least on that point, you are safe ;)

BroDavid
Long before I knew what a "street magician" was, my grandad gave me my first real magic set. I performed for my siblings. I performed for my neighbors. I performed for the old couple who owned the motel and the four St. Bernards across the street. My hometown (Sandusky, OH) had beautiful downtown gardens and an old fashioned popcorn & peanut cart on one corner that always attracted me (and every other kid) like a magnet. I hopped on my bike, rode to the gardens and started performing magic next to that wagon for anyone who would watch...12 years old...a fearless kid on a new adventure...those were the days. Just for the sheer joy of it. Was having a blast until two older ladies approached me and started all these questions about my church and religious training...then pointed out that magic was sinful and "your parents should be ashamed of themselves." The cart operator came up to me as I was putting my stuff away and told me to ignore the old busybodies. His words..."They're so busy living everybody else's lives that they've lost theirs. You live yours, son." And so I have. I wish I could find him again to thank him and tell him what those few words meant to me.

Be yourself...you will ALWAYS offend someone...sometimes just by breathing. Let that be their problem. If your act entertains, draws a crowd and creates general good will...the few complaints that arise will vanish like so many farts in a hurricane.

:o) Skip
If being myself is found offensive, so be it. I find it to be mind over matter. I don't mind because they don't matter.
Skip,

Words to live by, to be sure! I have fond memories of trips to Sandusky as a youth (Cedar Point).

And let's not forget, as we think about the little hurts that we suffered on the street, that we do have some of their cash. The paper that it's printed on does have a nice way of soaking up the tears...

Yours,

Paul
Nicely said Doc. Skip, quite a life's lesson for such a young buck. It makes me remember things my Grandfather said to me when I was young. I think I'll visit his grave and say thanks. Hopefully he hears me.
If your act entertains, draws a crowd and creates general good will...the few complaints that arise will vanish like so many farts in a hurricane.

well if you are working anywhere where you are being paid then it becomes an issue,,,,because they have the money...i have done 2 festival in the last 2 weeks and got ccomplaints form both...yep, I'm offensive but its funny man!...no kidding its strong and I know it and it took me years to get it that way and I just don't want to change it BUT it limits where I can work ...

the point is if you are interacting it creates the oopportunity to find something wrong in what you are doing....my friend bro talks about jesus in his show, I wouldn't listen to the message but would watch the show...my mmorality is mine and my views are mine and I do beleive in god but I don't want to hear about it....no offense bro, I still love you....but I think that if people are offended then why don't they just walk away, what gives them the right to inforce their views on everyone,,,,change the channel...because they so strongly beleive in their morality that they think they have the right to change yours...to inforce their will...its crap!.....

I do say things I shouldn't, so does gazzo and well a lot of us do...its funnys and on the streets most will like it...if they don't they can just walk away...but when you are getting paid you represent the morality of whos paying you....and that kind of sucks!...gazzo is chasing pitches his whole life and its getting harder...hes here then hes gone cause they don't want to hear the complaints....i think hes brillant, we all do...but I don't want to not have a place to be in a few years...i don't like to conform but I might have to,,...and I just don't like it

I'm going to work in this place that pays me so darn well and I know that there will be a complaint even if I pull the real harsh stuff out....and I'm going to because its just that way...people like to complain

koz
Some people will find something to be offended about and people like to complain. This is true.

My main goal is to entertain folk, sometimes with laughter. I'm not looking to stretch any envelopes, I'm not the shock Magician. Rickles is still Rickles and I'm not. I'm looking for smiles, genuine laughter, and amazement, and that's what I get. I'm not trying to walk any fine lines. If someone wants to give me the business about Magic being evil, etc. well I guess I'll have to take that one in stride. After all I'm a Magician and we Magish. plain and simple. I'm not however going to say or do anything that rubs the wrong way or slides against the grain of sensibility. Funny exists without making someone the fool, calling anyone out, risque material, foul language, etc. No really it does. Don't let modern comedians, movies, Comedy Jams, Howard Stern, and the like fool you. It does take more talent, intellect, and research. My opinion is its worth it.

No matter what your act, who is watching dictates its appropriateness, not you. You get to decide what your going to say/do, but they get to decide if it's going to fly or not. If your getting plenty complaints then it's time to either move to a more appropriate venue or listen to the audience. You can adopt the, "I'm going to do what I do." attitude and stay true to yourself and not be a sellout blah blah blah. You also, as with all things in life, get to be accountable for that decision. Sometimes that manifests itself in the form of, you don't get to play here anymore or they simply walk.

To answer the threads question, What's offensive? Listen to the audience and your conscience and you will know. Some all time favorites to divide a crowd.
Politics
Religion
Ethnicity
Sexual you name it, i.e. acts, preference, technique, even calling a little girl a little boy because you couldn't tell
Regional Humor, i.e. talking bad about Nascar down south, Yankee go home stuff up north etc.
Becoming too friendly with some dudes babe. Once again, he gets to decide what's too friendly, not you.
The 21 card trick

Y'all play nice now, ya hear?
All this talk about Gazzo. If any of you get the chance to watch him you should watch his face as he jokes. Sure, the jokes themselves could be offensive, but the look on his face, that half-grin, the cocked eyebrow - all tell a different story.

OK, some people will certainly be offended by Gazzo from time to time but his body mechanics make it clear that he's playing.

Gazzo is no fool. He doesn't just go out there and insult people. I suspect he's given a lot of thought to how to calm down what might be regarded as brusque.
Coordinating the jokes with the proper facial expressions is an art.
Currently, I'd probably get shot attempting this sort of thing to any extensive degree.
<< Well if you are working anywhere where you are being paid then it becomes an issue,,,,because they have the money... >>

Well, Ted...it seems to me that the options here remain yours. Rule No. 1 in any business is - Money Talks. If your client is concerned about the complaints he/she receives to the point of withdrawing you from the lineup then you can either choose to modify your character to meet the expectations of your client, find another client who respects your skills and persona "as is" or continue to gather complaints and hope the client backs you up. As Grandaddy used t' say...If you continue to run at a brick wall hoping the wall will step aside at the last minute...you're in for a nasty shock.

Paul..I lived a few blocks from the Cedar Point Ferry. My first time on stage with a real magic show was in the CP Ballroom with the local SAM Assembly in the early 70's. My first job was at "The Point"...I had my own broom and scoop, even! :o) Just before running off to join the circus, I was promoted to Frontier Riverboat pilot ("There's ol' Trapper Dan...Dan! Seen any injuns about?"). Never, ever thought I'd actually miss those politically incorrect days! :o)

Skip
Skip,

So there! You had a job that some people, admittedly not in your audience, would have found deeply offensive.

I bet I would have had some fun on your riverboat, though, if you can imagine Dr. Wilson in short pants and a propeller beanie.

Yours,

Paul
I have had complaints about what I do and the way I present it for more years than I care to remember.
Time will eventually find that your paid gigs will be the ones that like what you do and the way you do it so you get known for being saucy, for sticking knives in your arm for banging nails in your head.This is great but it takes time to become type cast.
Drawbacks are that many shows will avoid you like the plague, positive is that you can command a good fee from the bookers requireing a stronger presentation.I refer to working the showgrounds only.
Street work is a problem.
Your show is made up of passer by punters,,,,,punters not aware of your presentation style. It would take pages here to annalise this here but the lowdown is to give them,not you, the goods they expect. In other words grovel or kiss ass in order to ply the cash from their sweaty little palms.
Yes, in this case, the speckies are always right!!

You will never please everyone,,,,some people find offence in everything so you go for the majority pull.

Over the years I have found the following statement a true get out for an audience who may have been offended by my style or effects.

Ladies and Gentlemen, before you leave I would like to state from the bottom of my heart that if I have offended anyone, anybody at all here today.

I couldn't GIVE A ***!

It works, it gets you off on a laugh, it takes the sting out of their bite, try it.

Ken.
[quote]
On 2005-08-08 22:31, mandrake01 wrote:
OK, _some_ people can get offended at _anything._ Is there something we can agree on that would be _objectivly_ offensive under any circumstances?
[/quote]

Two words: "The Aristocrats."

If you don't know, it is the most offensive joke in the world, bar none.
I really like this gig but don't think that I can change my character to fit these people...nice people but g-rated and I'm not...i think I'm as successful as about any one in the world doing magic on the streets but there is an easier way.....time has made me the way I am and my show the way it is...it works...it works really well...makes me money in the harshest of situation and I'm proud of it....and changingg it is not going to happen, I will play it nicer but in the end I will go because I cant change on a dime...i have found my place even if I don't like it...and I guess I do

koz
Koz, you are great. Do not be the status quo pleaser. Cultivate that strength, magical magic and your wonderful character. Make the offensive folks bite the dust.
I agree with you 100%, Evolve. From all I've heard and read, Koz is great at what he does. But ya gotta please the man who pays the bills...and, as Koz says, if the whiners bend the boss's ear often enough...sooner or later, the man may have to let even a star attraction like Koz go.

Sometimes, I think back to that original Star Trek episode where Spock, Kirk and Chekov transport into an alternate universe...and the evil Kirk has this GREAT device that makes people vanish with the push of a button. I wish...

:o) Skip
[quote]
On 2005-08-09 18:41, rossmacrae wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I think that "The Aristocrats" is one of the funniest things I've ever heard. I don't find it offensive in the least, and I know many people who feel the same way. So I don't think that passes the test of being "objectively" offensive.

If the acts described in that joke were being performed in front of my face, THEN I might be offended. But I don't think there's anything offensive about the joke itself.
I really like working in the night time and this is one of those rare night time pitches...i love it...i'm getting old guys and I feel the sun these days much more than I did in the past...i can still rock but I just don't want to as much...no what I mean....

we=ll see how it goes....but it is an interesting topic isn't it....people complain about anything

koz
[quote]
On 2005-08-09 22:48, tedb wrote:
I can still rock but I just don't want to as much...no what I mean....

[/quote]

Ha-ha! Middle age being that gray area where you can remember what it's like to drink grain alcohol from a dirty garbage can, but you now have a hard time with dairy!

It softens the fight, but the dog still reacts. I've never had a use for zealots. People who push their morality on others... AARRGGHH!!! But another thing that tends to come with being middle-aged is the knack for picking your battles.

~michael
There are the occassional crack pots that don't get it - I would just point to the office and tell them "you can leave a complaint there, make sure you mention the part about magic being evil so they can get a good laugh too".

If somebody doesn't want to move in and watch my show, I don't try to make them by insulting their shirt. I shift my focus to the people that are coming in, a form of misdirection. If they see other people moving in, they may decide to move in themselves. I see it as the glass if half-full, not half-empty.

If somebody wants to walk away, I don't dare speak up ... instead I shift my focus to the other side of the crowd, again misdirection - I keep people focus'd on the people that are staying to enjoy the show. Again, I remain posative even when water spills out of the glass.

I'm also very picky about my edge - your edge will make or break you. I'll wait 20 minutes (sometimes even longer) waiting for just the right group of people to come along. There is a certain look in people, you only learn it from experience. The look of fear that you want something from them. You can easily spot it in say a flea market - when you say "how you doing" to someone, they will respond "oh I'm just looking". Nevermind that I wasn't planning on selling them anything, I was just being a good sourthen boy by greeting them like mamma taught me. But they are affraid I'm going into a salepitch ... those people do not make a good edge, I'd rather wait for a good edge than settle for a bad one.

If you force a bad edge on yourself, that is to say they are standing there because you told them to not because they want to be ... then maybe you are setting yourself up for them to complain?

I can also suggest you try to read the person better before making the joke ... try a teaser line, and see how they respond - something not as offensive. If they giggle or smile for that one, then go in for the harder line. But if they respond negative, then let them walk to avoid the complaint and use the line on someone else. Maybe that would help?

JoeJoe
JoeJoe,

That was an awesome post. It is contradictory to what I have learned in most books, but it really makes a lot of sense. I'm gonna try it out. I like the idea of not making notice of people leaving. Chances are, the people leaving have already made the decision to leave, and poking fun at them is not likely to bring them back, plus you risk looking like an "donkey" for saying something. So long as these poeple are not the key edge, who cares. Since they are near the back they are also not as likely to tip and just take up fresh punter space anyway.
I just heard that the Florida State Seminoles will not be allowed to compete in post season turnaments. The NCAA as decided that the word Seminole offends Native Americans,same with any teams called Braves, warriors, Chiefs or Indians.
[quote]On 2005-08-11 18:28, constantine wrote:
I just heard that the Florida State Simenoles will not be allowed to compete in post season turnaments.[/quote]
You heard wrong.

First, it's "S[b][i]e[/i][/b]m[b][i]i[/i][/b]noles".

Second, the ruling doesn't take effect until February.

Third, the ruling simply says that they may not use their mascot, emblem, and name; they will still be allowed to compete.

Fourth, they can appeal the ruling. Inasmuch as the Chief of the Seminole tribe gives his full support to Florida State using the name - he rides a horse as their mascot at football games - there's a good chance that the appeal will be successful in their case.

Fifth, the ruling applies only to NCAA tournaments; the BCS, for example, has not adopted the ban.

Also, [b][i]Warriors[/i][/b] should not be on your list. Cal State Stanislaus uses the name "Warriors" but it is not subject to the ban because their emblem is that of a Trojan. On the other hand, "Illini" and "Utes" are on the list.
[b] Ten things that are offensive [/b]

1. Sticking a *** in your ***.
2. *** a *** into another ***.
3. Swallowing three ***!
4. George Bush's left *** but not his ***.
5. If your over 30, then *** a *** onto a pole.
6. The smaller of the two ***.
7. David Blaine's frozen ***.
8. ***
9. The Aristocrats
10. *** *** *** and ***!
I was at a Lance Burton performance during an early Desert Magic Seminar (before it became WMS)

Michael Godot (sp?) was performing his juggling act. One of his featured "bits" is is to put a large rubber band around his head like a headband. By raising his eyebrows he lets the band pop up, tying his hair into a sort of sumo wrestler tuft with his eyes pulled back into slits. He then continues with a hilarious sumo parody juggling routine.

In the audience was Ton Onosaka. The room went quiet as all eyes turned to him to see if he was offended. When they saw he was nearly rolling in the aisle with laughter, they finally decided it was appropriate to laugh too.

Sometimes we're just plain oversensitive.
[quote]On 2005-08-11 19:26, Dave VanVranken wrote:
Sometimes we're just plain oversensitive.[/quote]
Amen!

Just ask the Seminoles.
Sometimes, it's alright to offend.

The Beatles had long hair and people were offended, but eventually
... it became more acceptable.

We have more freedom as performers today because past entertainers
have offended audiences and continure to do so. On the other hand, SOME
remarks are unreasonably offensive and in my opinion, unacceptable.

If you want to make Money as a street performer though, SOME offensive
lines can hurt the hat.

Martini
People who advertise themselves as polite, then mak fun of dyslexics.
I, for one, never make fun of scixelsyd.

;)
Good enough for me.
I once was walking around in Seattle and one of my friends was trying to pick up on this one girl. So he told me to start doing some simple card tricks to draw a crowd so that he would have something to talk to her about. Well quite frankly doing magic doesn't bother me at all so I said ok. Well about 5 min into it I was doing a trick to the girls friend that my freind was trying to hook up with. Well her boyfriend started getting mouthy and interrupting everything. (which to me is more offensive than anything you could say or do) so I looked at him and told him to pick a card. He did and I had him replace it into the deck. Then I finished the trick on his girlfriend. At the end he asked me what the card he picked was for and I told him it was to get him to shut up.

So what I am saying is that if one person out of many makes a scene, they are the rude and offensive ones and need a good verbal beating.
~N~
[quote]
On 2005-08-11 19:24, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
[b] Ten things that are offensive [/b]

9. The Aristocrats
[/quote]

Just seeing that made me laugh my *** off and almost **** my pants. That is one funny ******* story!

Last week an agent said to me, "So, what's in your act?" and I burst into a fit of church giggles. The agent said, "What's wrong?" And I said, "Well, the name of the act is 'The Aristocrats'." Then we both broke up.

Have any of you seen the movie? I have not but let's face it, with a name like that it has to be good.

Best,

Dan-

P.S. It is VERY offensive! But funny! :)
[quote]
[/quote]
Probably not. The act of being offended depends on someone's beliefs. And beliefs are handed-out by a person's culture. I find very little to be offensive, but then again I think for myself, unlike many who find thinking to be too taxing.

I'm always amazed as to what some people still believe, in the 21st century. There are way too many who don't question what they've been told, and they accept it as fact. I'm certainly a lot happier when I stopped buying into any one religion and began exploring what different people believe. I'm not going to get locked into a belief system, only to stagnate. I keep looking for beliefs that are more powerful than those I once held.
"There are way too many who don't question what they've been told, and they accept it as fact."

Actually, these folks are pretty easy to separate from their money with a grind show. Since I've started doing this, I have developed a kind of affection for these folks. Look, if you can't educate them, at least charge a sort of tax on their simplicity.

Yours,

Paul
NCAA caves in to Seminoles. Woo HOO!!
Whatever you do it will be offensive to some one.
That is part of life.

The saying "The World is my stage" is a great saying but look at every one killing each other, WHY?

Being offensive will have backlashes but being PC will effect your hat as well the scale will tip either way.

I will aim to take my lead from my audiance - in other words I will read them as best as I can. You are performing to your audience not just one or two.
If you think every one is going to love you then you are only fooling yourself.

I never swear in a show - I just won't and I don't like crude jokes, that is to narrow minded and offensive in its self.

On the other hand in the right setting I will say
"Sir take your hands out of your pocket and I will provide the entertainment".
"Where are you from, they will say ---------------, OK I will go slower".
"A Kid that won't shut up "Hey kid go and play in the traffic".
Some folk will say that is crude, I will say "Jesus Loves but my name is Mario".

I don't think it is so much what you say but how you say it.

If you offend your audience you have blown your hat.
If you say anything in anger that is what will effect your hat.
For example if you say "Kid put the card back in the deck" in anger or frustration because he won't shut up, it will be offensive and will show that you have lost control of the show, maybe for just a moment. If you say "Kid I did not give you a speeking part" as a joke then it is what it is a joke.

Every one draws a line that some one else will cross never mind what side of the fence you stand on. The question we may want to ask our selves is "do I have a clear mind in what I am doing and saying?"

If you switch off because you did not like a crude joke, or if you tear up some Christian artical, you have been offended, in the scheme of things so what.

If you harbour up resentment, anger and intolerance because of different lines we draw then we are all guilty of being narrow minded.

Now I going back to Bed
Mario
Message: Posted by: FacadeTheStiltBoy (Aug 26, 2005 11:07AM)
You know for the most part, you had every right in the world just to punch them in the junk.

But then again, this is coming from a kid that uses a "Will Juggle for Booze" sign to gather an audience, then to make them lose it, say "it worked better than the previous one" and I whip out the "Will Juggle for Porn" sign.

I know it's tasteless and obnoxious, but it tends to throw people off guard. (that and they tip badly in Omaha, unless you use the Will Juggle For Booze sign. Then they try to get you drunk while juggling, which is enertaining on the fact that you are getting them to pay for top shelf, and you don't have to really do anything.

(yeah I know that I have no shame, but it is amusing)
Ha- that made me laugh- nice one Facade!
I think "offensive" is deliberatly stomping on the beliefs and feelings of a target group. (I think Penn and Teller's little display at the roast qualified. They knew exactly what they were doing and got the reaction they expected.)

Then there's an unintentional offensive in which you might not be aware of the feelings of the target group. I think the Indian teams fit here. You have to ask yourself, would you not squirm a little if they changed the Redskins name to the Duskies and made the mascot a big grinning black man? As far as useing the real tribes names. I think this is at best exploiting the tribes identities. ("Well, we couldn't manage to wipe you out like we wanted... so we'll use your image to sell tickets to ball games!")

It's easy to say; "Ease back and have a sense of humor," when YOU'RE not the one being poked at!
I am always intrigued that many people who disdain "political correctness" take the stance that [i]they[/i] get to decide what is offensive to whom.

If someone finds something offensive, then it is incumbent on YOU to decide if you wish to respect that person's sensitivities. The moral obligation is yours, and the way you respond to other people is a mark of [i]your[/i] character, not theirs.

John
[quote]
On 2005-09-10 11:52, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
I am always intrigued that many people who disdain "political correctness" take the stance that [i]they[/i] get to decide what is offensive to whom.

If someone finds something offensive, then it is incumbent on YOU to decide if you wish to respect that person's sensitivities. The moral obligation is yours, and the way you respond to other people is a mark of [i]your[/i] character, not theirs.

John
[/quote]
True, we shouldn't try to offend people, unnecessarily. However, I've run into some people who are ofended by almost anything and expect others to be like them. Some people venture into places that they just shouldn't go. I've heard of people complaining that a comedy club show was too vulgar or that a rock concert is too loud. The people complaining, in those cases, are in places that they don't belong. I don't go into places of worship, telling others what they should believe. But, when I perform in a church, I tailor the show to the audience, as much as reasonably possible.
If you want extremly rude (yet hilarious) street performers, go to the covent gardens in England. "Here come the strippers" is a regular line used when agroup of girls just walk on by....
People have a right to be offended by whatever they find objectionable--we ALL have our taboos. However, on the street, if a spectator is offended, there is an easy solution--they can leave. To do otherwise is to shove their own agenda onto everyone else. There is nothing more miserable or counterproductive than someone beating others over the head with their righteous indignation. So it goes......

Flimnar
[quote]
On 2005-08-09 18:41, rossmacrae wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I know OF it, but I've never heard it myself. Nor have I seen the film, although I did enjoy the thread from the guy who thought the entire premise might be a hoax dreamed up by Penn!
I've found that sometimes patronizing the offended pays dividends. Especially the religious zealots. If you patronize them properly they have no real ammo less they be redundant. One example is the guy I got that ran up to me at the front of the group..shook his finger and yelled "you'll burn in hell for your trickery!" I calmly said "yes sir..it's just a ploy to take over hell and I'm gonna make some great changes!" The guy said something else but it was drowned out by the audience laughter and he walked away. I think some people thought he was part of the act. Generally I just ignore any negative response and go on with the mission. 50 people laughing will drown out 2 people b**ching almost every time.
>> I know OF it, but I've never heard it myself.

If anyone wants to hear it, type "southparkjoke.wmv" into Google.com and find a clip of Cartman's rendition of the Aristocrat joke. As you can probably guess, it's pretty likely to offend some watch it.
A friend of mine made up a quote that got me laughing (yes I do have a sick sense of humour...sometimes)when the hats were down and the audience not appreciative...(fake Larry Olivier voice)My dear boy...they are all s~~ts...but they give us their money...
As a Christian, we are led not to judge(not easy sometimes) and these folks who basically tried to flier Ted Bs crowd certainly did judge...they are in the wrong...nes pa.
Vernon
AKAjames James
[quote]
On 2005-08-19 21:19, ringmaster wrote:
People who advertise themselves as polite, then mak fun of dyslexics.
[/quote]

A couple of buttons I saw at a science-fiction convention YEARS ago.

"Dyslexics have more fnu."

and

"Dyslexics unite! Together we can trip up the world!"
[quote]
On 2005-10-24 22:35, Philosophry wrote:
>> I know OF it, but I've never heard it myself.

If anyone wants to hear it, type "southparkjoke.wmv" into Google.com and find a clip of Cartman's rendition of the Aristocrat joke. As you can probably guess, it's pretty likely to offend some watch it.
[/quote]

I have now seen the joke. Ewww. The only actually funny part of the whole sequence was the other kid trying very quietly to get Cartman to stop!

I cannot imagine sitting through 90 minutes of people doing riffs on that joke!