(Close Window)
Topic: For the Struggling Amateur
I have been interested in magic for a long time, but it is not a profession; I don't even have plans for it to be. The fact is, I love it as the hobby. I truly love performing. I can perform for friends and family when they request, and it is a great way to entertain folks at rest homes, hospitals, etc. I wonder, however, if there is really a place for a truly amateur magician in the magic community.
I have posted this here because most who begin in magic pick it up as an interest, not a full glory profession. Then they may move in the professional direction. Who knows, maybe I will someday become semi-professional. Any advice for how to make magic into a full and rich hobby?
Well, you certainly have the right attitude. You do somthing that you like and you do it to make others happy, that's rich in and of itself. Soon a situation will come when somone will want to hire you.
Jeff
I don't think you need any advice, except to say that you seem to have the right attitude. Don't feel any pressure from outside to become anything more than an enthusiasitc amateur.

I must say that I'm in exactly the same place as you. I will say that it's possible (advisable) to have a professional attitude towards magic, even if you're not making money from your hobby.
Magic, as with everything in life, is what you make it; but magic is more, you can do it for friends or you can make a lucrative full time profession of it, some have an interest in sleights, some are interested in the history. There is a place in magic for anybody who has a genuine interest, love and respect for the subject.
I was an amateur, I became semi pro then lost my full time job. I performed childrens shows for 25 years and made a reasonable living. Now I am a life coach and magic has reverted to a 'hobby'. I am gratefull to magic, it kept me for 25 years and is still there if I need it.
It is a great subject,hobby, profession.
George.
There is a place for you. You are already doing magic in a way that gives back to the community you live in. As an amateur, look for more ways to give freely and not seeking out paid gigs.

One thing I like to do is perform on Halloween night. The kids who come to my door get both a trick and a treat when I make their candy magically appear.

If your neighborhood is having a block party or a community event at the park, show up and do a little close up for people. This just puts a smile on their face like your work at the rest homes.

Every now and again, someone will like what you do enough that they will hire you for a party. You get a little pocket change, at least enough to buy your next effect and support your hobby.

If you find out that your doing magic so much that it stops being fun, stop doing it for a while. Spend a month or two on another hobby, your family, or just a good summer project around the house. You'll know when it's time to get back into it becouse the urge never really goes away.

Keep it fun for yourself and your audience and that will keep it a real hobby.

Kipp Sherry
To be honest I donīt understand your question: you perform and you love magic. But you want to know whether there is a place for you in the magic community..... Of course there is - most people here are amateurs!

Magixx
I'm an amateur, and I figure if it pays for my "trick habit", I'm good!

Honestly, most of us ARE amateurs...
Find a niche and have some fun with it. I am also an amature magician, and a semi-pro musician as well as having a good paying regular job.

The niche I found was performing at Medieval events for the SCA. I also like the idea of the nursing homes and hospitals for volunteer work.

-Max
Some of the greatest minds in magic are or were "Amateur"
Simon Aaronson ~ attorney
John Ramsey ~ green grocer
Come to mind

In fact amateurs have it much better in the world of magic than professionals. I have to look for gigs, deal with bookings, insurance, driving, keeping clients happy and coming back, agencies, financial matters and a whole host of other things

Amateurs can just have fun and concentrate on their craft

Nothing wrong with enjoying magic as a hobby
The main thing is you love magic.
and love performing it.for now that is fine.
you will find later if its to be carried
futher than just a hobby.that will come
on its own. for now just enjoy it.
todd