(Close Window)
Topic: Ian Kendall’s Magic Show - Edinburgh Fringe
Ian Kendall’s Magic Show
Café Royal, Edinburgh – 17:20 every day

I had the pleasure of going to see Ian’s current show at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival yesterday and what a cracking show he’s got on this year.

Starting with his now familiar one-coin routine, including his penchant for talking about gravity, Ian was immediately at ease with his audience. The great thing about the show that I saw was that his audience was also immediately at ease with him. I think it is safe to say that I was the only magician in the audience, so it was great to see Ian working for an audience of lay people.

The show, which lasted about an hour, also included a very quick Magic Square, an excellent missing card routine, a multi-phase rope routine incorporating – amongst others – Professor’s Nightmare and Cut and Restored, Dean’s Box (the first time I’ve seen it live and I was fooled, badly!) and a well presented burnt note routine.

My personal highlight was Ian’s presentation of “Smashed and Stabbed”, the Russian Roulette-style routine using 4 small plinths with a very sharp upward pointing spike on one of them. Every time he smashed his hand down, the whole audience took a loud, sharp intake of breath in fear of what might have happen – or may still happen.

An excellent show that, if you are in Edinburgh, you should try to go and see. Highly recommended.

Peter
:)
Thanks for the review Peter!

I'm heading up to the fringe myself later this week. Among other things I really want to see some good magic. I know that Jerry Sadowitz has a show, but he seems to be booked out for exactly the days I'm there.

So are there any shows people can recommend to see? Café Royal, 17:20 is in my diary...