(Close Window)
Topic: East India Rope Trick
Hi...

Lately I've become very interested in Thurston's, East India Rope Trick...

What I'm wondering is this:

Has any modern (meaning 1950's or beyond) magician/illusionist been able to re-create this phenominal trick?

If so...Who? When? Where? Is it available in video format for viewing? Did they use 'black art' to vanish the boy at the top of the rope?

Any other info on this subject would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Prof. Piper
Some of your questions are too technical to answer on an open forum.

However, Blackstone, Sr. performed it, Willard the Wizard did, also. This would be well into the 1960's.

I think Brandon may have also done this. I'll check with some people I know at the TAOM over Labor Day Weekend.

There may be films of some of it. Perhaps an inquiry to the film archives at the Castle might prove fruitful on this.
I believe there is a film with Kalanag performing this.
Thank you for your responses.

Sorry if I broached policy with my questions on the open forum.

I'm researching this now (using your information and that from others)...Hopefully this will prove to be beneficial.

Again, thanks.

Prof. Piper
A magician in India, recently did the Indian rope trick in broad daylight at the beach. I have seen the video and it is fantastic. The boy climbs up a short distance but does not vanish. But the rope rising and the handling is amazing.

There is a video kicking around.
Pete, was this the same magician who performed the illusion on Penn & Teller's Magic and Mystery Tour?
Don't know, nevers saw P&T as I don't like Penn.
Just an update...

I've done some prelim research on the info listed and some more with my own sources...

So far it is looking good that the method I have in mind has yet to be performed...

Keeping my fingers crossed!

I'm looking forward to what you find out Bill, if you have the time that is...

Again, thanks

Prof. Piper
:juggle:
[quote]Don't know, nevers saw P&T as I don't like Penn.
[/quote]Not for all tastes, of course. It's a pretty good series though (and coming to DVD!), and they show a good deal of reverence for magic history in different cultures.

The magician who performed the rope trick on P&T was "Isamudin", though I believe they say he is better known in India as "Jamura". (I'll have to check that second name ... I know Isamudin is correct, though.)
I saw old footage of someone doing this just like it's been described. The rope was thrown into the air where it stayed standing. The boy climbed the rope and disappeared at the top. The magician climbed the rope with a sword which he swung in the air. Parts of the boy's body fell out of the sky (arms , legs). The magician threw the body parts into a weaved basket and the boy emerged with his body back together.