(Close Window)
Topic: Good Books at Book Fairs?
Do you guys ever stumble upon any rare or classic magic books at local book fairs? I have been to a few and have found small selections of various beginners books and hobbyist-geared books, but I haven't found any real treasures yet. I was just curious how often these better/high-end books are found at places like these.
You'll find them there from time to time, Danny, but they will usually be antiquarian books and grossly overpriced. Clay
I attended a book fair at Stanford University and came upon one of Robert Albo's Classic magic series volume 2. Knowing they were valuable I asked the price and he said $38.50, yes I could not get my hand on my wallet fast enough.After getting home and checking my purchase there on the inside cover was an inscription, "To Bing Crosby with warm regards and best wishes, Robert Albo".
Knowing the whereabouts of where Dr. Albo lived I called him and asked him if he had given this to Bing, he advised me that he had as he golfed with Bing on several occasions.So I guess I can say I have a classic book that belonged to a classic singer.
Rennie
A friend of mine who is a Café user, stumbled upon a group of magic books at a Public Library book sale, earlier this year. These were not ex-library books, but apparently some that had been donated for the cause. He got a couple big bags full, and some were real finds. I think he only paid $0.50 or $1.00 apiece for them.
The only thing I ever found was a virtually new copy of Cards As Weapons.

I think I paid $5.

Otherwise, most things tend to be seriously overpriced that I have seen.
I've found some good bargains. At the Strand (a famous used book store in NYC), I've found books by Paul Harris, Vernon, George Kaplan and other books for magicians, all for under $5 in the last year.
Oh, but I forgot, my best find was the Reynolds magic poster book. I found a German edition, it in mint condition at a used book store for $5.
About 15 years ago at a small book fair I picked up a copy of "The Master Mystery" for 5 bucks. This was the 1917 novelization of the Houdini serial complete with photos from the movie. Its pretty rare, Joe Keppel
Well, a couple of weeks ago, I picked up a copy of Scarne on Cards at a book fair for 50˘. I later saw it on Amazon for as low as 84˘. Not quite the treasure I was looking for, but I'll keep searching!
My library just withdrew 2 copies of Magic Digest by George Anderson (for what insane reason I do not know). I'm waiting for them to show up at the weekly book sale for $1. I also got a copy of the Stein and Day Handbook of Magic by Marvin Kaye for $3 a few weeks ago.