(Close Window)
Topic: Slydini is close
So we have been working on this project for 3 plus years and we are very close to haveing it done....its a 2 dvd set that has many of Slydinids effects performed by him and many of his students including interviews and much more...this is a historic event in our magic world...let it be known that there has never been any one as good as Slydini....and by watching this magic you will see this...he has created so much and we have captured this....save your money....cause this is special

koz
Please give us some more detailed informations!!

Sounds like a big thing.
It will include a lot of his routines explained....coins, 3 cigerrette routines, paper balls in hat, paper balls over the head, sponge balls, interlude with a paper napkin, knots, productions of silks, and a lot more...this is the best thing ever put out on Slydini not just because I produced it but because its so *** good....REALLY!!!!!!!it talks a lot of movement, relaxed state...about how to do magic Slydini style

great stuff....

buy the lance deliong dvd's
koz
Can't hardly wait...
When they are out, where will I get them? How much will it be? Who is performing on the DVD...? So many questions..., but I can´t wait.
ANYTHING by Koz will be brialliant!!!!
Wow! Sounds awesome. I look forward to this. Please keep us updated koz.
[quote]
On 2005-09-10 00:12, tedb wrote:
So we have been working on this project for 3 plus years and we are very close to haveing it done....its a 2 dvd set that has many of Slydinids effects performed by him and many of his students including interviews and much more...this is a historic event in our magic world...let it be known that there has never been any one as good as Slydini....and by watching this magic you will see this...he has created so much and we have captured this....save your money....cause this is special

koz
[/quote]

I stumbled on this thread by accident, but I'm elated! For YEARS I have wanted to have footage of the master! Now I will finally get my wish! Blessings on you and this worthy project!
They are almost done being edited...by the end of this week then the go to replication...another 3 weeks then to you...so I would say a month

there are several students of Slydini that you likely don't know and cellini is on them ...and a ton of old footage of Slydini

HISTORIC is about all I have to say...great stuff...

every magician should own them...its a 2 dvd set packaged in ine box,...its the only way it can be done....because if you bought just one dvd you would miss the stories and interviews...plus the moves that he teaches are inportant to all routines so this is the only way it makes sense...the set is $70

HISTORIC

koz
I think footage of his students is great, but what we are REALLY wanting to see above everything else, is footage of the master himself in action!

I don't have any idea how you obtained this, as my understanding has always been that actual footage of Slydini himself is extremely rare!
Its is really rare...but we have him on several tv shows...we have him lectureing...we have a ton of stuff...we have him at joe carsons house...this is special

koz
Taking Preorders:-)?
Where can this be bought?

Magixx
I would think it will be available at any magic shop...i mean come on, shouldn't every close up magi own these...REALLY HISTORIC....no pre-orders....i will let you know when they are out
koz
I would whole heartedly agree...this is magic history...just wondering if there are any specific agreements for any specific shops...such as Hank Lee or something....
No...it will be sold through murphys magic supply to magic stores everywhere
koz
Koz produces the finest DVD's. His work with Jim (cellini ) is the finest every made!!
I assume there will be footage of his classic silk knot routine? I have a vhs with him doing it to music on Dick Cavet( not sure of spelling)
Cavett would not let us use his footage...it will likely go down in time as neber used...its great stuff...we tried...BUT we have tons of other stuff,,,and boys let me tell you something...cellini can do Slydini....its beautiful....

chris, thanks for the kind words

koz
This one I gotta have, no matter the pricetag. Im allready sitting at my table waiting.
[quote]
On 2005-09-12 09:40, tedb wrote:
Cavett would not let us use his footage...it will likely go down in time as neber used...its great stuff...we tried...BUT we have tons of other stuff,,,and boys let me tell you something...cellini can do Slydini....its beautiful....

chris, thanks for the kind words

koz
[/quote]

That fact makes me even more excited about the future priveledge of watching these!

I have the feeling that once I view them, my passion for practicing Slydini's magic wil be re-kindled to full flame!
Performances only, and no explanations, I gather?...
[quote]
On 2005-09-13 09:02, joseph wrote:
Performances only, and no explanations, I gather?...
[/quote]

Like it would matter. Not to me anyways
No....explanations too!....plus all the info on movement to conceal sleights...everything is there....this is the bomb!

koz
Kozmo,

I am glad this project is finally coming to a head! I have been looking forward to these since you told me about them at LVMI. This is one heck of a project, and I will definately be picking these up from you when they are released.

Take care,

Karl
Thanks karl,
we are proud to be involved with this....we wish we could go further with it

the magic is great, theres some great stuff about the way this guy thinked....and I promise this is the most important magic video ever released....NO KIDDING

koz
[quote]
On 2005-09-13 10:23, tedb wrote:
No....explanations too!....plus all the info on movement to conceal sleights...everything is there....this is the bomb!

koz
[/quote]

Including the imp pass, and the revolve vanish?
Yes......all the above
Now we're talkin!
I'm tellin ya
koz
Something else

Slydini was the greatest close-up magi ever! he had more influence on modern close-up maic that any one ever...this should be of interest to every magician that is alive today.....no one can be compared to this guy NO ONE he was at a place that no one has ever been....hye created so much that magicians don't even know about....where did shadow coisn come from?...i have video of Slydini doing this 50 years ago.....

this guy is the man.......the project we think is going to be about 4 hours long...but it just keeps getting bigger...its aweful how it keeps growing and we still to this minute think about all we could add.... this is trully amazing....its not amazing because of myself and our production team, its amazing because of the magic of Slydini and his students.....THIS TRULY ROCKS!

koz
4 hours long?!!!!
2 dvd set...yea, that's what I'm guessing....you want it longer?
[quote]
On 2005-09-15 10:56, tedb wrote:
Something else

Slydini was the greatest close-up magi ever! he had more influence on modern close-up maic that any one ever...this should be of interest to every magician that is alive today.....no one can be compared to this guy NO ONE he was at a place that no one has ever been....hye created so much that magicians don't even know about....where did shadow coisn come from?...i have video of Slydini doing this 50 years ago.....

this guy is the man.......the project we think is going to be about 4 hours long...but it just keeps getting bigger...its aweful how it keeps growing and we still to this minute think about all we could add.... this is trully amazing....its not amazing because of myself and our production team, its amazing because of the magic of Slydini and his students.....THIS TRULY ROCKS!

koz
[/quote]

Have you considered Slydini's technique for a dove steal?
Nope....we cant go any further...it has sooooo much already
think about this....hes been dead for 14 years....he was 90 when he died...the bulk of his work was dine in the 5-'s and 6-'s.....a lot of his students are now dead....he did close-up magic...not a big forum for tv....how often do you think you might see a close up guy in the 60's NOT OFTEN there is so much lost....it has taken years on and off to track this stuff down...we have hours nad hours and hours of video...we have searched the world to find anything on this guy...and there just wasn;t much that came easy but we have some amazing stuff ...stuff that no one really new existed...

just wait till you see this

koz
Sounds like a fascinating compliation. I presume you have the appearances on Dick Cavett and Cher. With the possible exception of Vernon, Slydini had more influence on close-up magic in the latter half of the 20th century than any other performer. The first time I saw him perform, I thought, "If you could really do magic, this is what it would look like." I hope this DVD set introduces him to to a new generation of magicians.

Here's a little tidbit from the time. I was a student of Tony's when he taped Cavett, and Tony invited me to hang out back stage. One of the routines he performed was a series of cigarette manipulations done sitting at the table. (Can't recall if it's in any of the books.) He did the whole routine with the Bobby Rosengarten Orchestra accomanying him. Watching on the monitor it was clear that Tony was flashing his lapping terribly. This really surprised me since he had rehearsed the routine watching himself on the monitor. I didn't have the nerve to say anything to Tony at the time. Fortunately, someone reviewing the tape must have realized what was happening, and the segment was cut from the show.

Speaking of Cavett, he was also a Slydini student. As you watch these shows, see if you don't gag at how badly Cavett pretends to be surprised during Coins Thru Table.

BTW, at this same taping Mark Wilson vanished a Volvo using the cargo net vanish (see recent Genii article). During the live taping, the illusion didn't work, so after the audience left, Wilson taped it again before an empty house.

Bob
(Slydini student--not dead yet)
Bob, goot to see you are not dead!

we cant use the cavett stuff , he wont let us we don't have the cher stuff bu I would love to see it...i tried to contact her but its was impossible....

do you have the cher stuff?

we do have a pile of stuff though which I think will be very interesting....

I think that the "new" magician are more interested in tricks than magic....i'm often disappointed by them...i think this is the most imprtant dvd put out maybe ever n the subject of close-up magic...

I hope when its done you like it and it makes Slydini proud
koz
I've been (im)patiently waiting for this one, thanks for the update. My favorite DVD is the Magic You Can Perform Anywhere. Right next to it in my bookshelf there is a large space waiting for you know what.

Daniel
I've been (im)patiently waiting for this one, thanks for the update. My favorite DVD is the Magic You Can Perform Anywhere. Right next to it in my bookshelf there is a large space waiting for you know what.

Daniel
Bob, sometime I hope you can share some anecdotes on what it was like to be a student of Slydini. To walk with him and talk with him, so to speak!
That was a high honor, that many of us would have killed for.

I'll bet you have some very absorbing stories!
[quote]
On 2005-09-17 05:52, perlimpinpin wrote:
.... Right next to it in my bookshelf there is a large space waiting for you know what.

Daniel
[/quote]There is absolutely zero space on my shelfs for more DVDs, [b] but there is space in my heart for any capture re Slydini :) and if there is room there, I'll find room too somewhere in the house, for that upcoming DVD..[/b]

I'll buy it anyway, if there is no space elsewhere, it might then just stay permanently inside one of the various DVD players scattered around the house ;)
Just last week at Magic in the Rockies I was fortunate to meet a (still alive)student of Slydini's who lives close enough that I might be able to take lessons from him. Tony Clark, another Slydini student, was also there, and I got to here the two of them trade stories about Slydini. Pure heaven. I am also waiting impatiently for this video.

Daffydoug, I think you can get some of Slydini's dove work through Tony Clark's videos.

Gene
What about Slydini's version of the golden linking pins? That available anywhere that anybody knows of?

BTW, who were some of Slydini's more famous students? Two I know of are Michael Ammar, and Doug Henning.

I remember Doug doing the Slydini torn and restord cigarette on one of his TV specials. It looked beautiful in his hands. Looked like pure magic...of course, ALL Slydini's routines look like pure magic when correctly performed!

They are, sadly, limited mostly to sitting down at a table though. Can't be done walkaround, or "on the street", BUT the PRINCIPALS of psychological misdirection, and such things as timing, coordination of the hands, etc as he taught them, can be adopted to many effects, in various situations, if one has a good grasp on them.
The pins are on the dvd set that we are doing but is not explaned but you can get that from the book...the sponge ball routine is also NOT explained...everything elde is

thanks
koz
I have the pins in book format...sometimes words are not sufficient to lucidly explain what a few video shots can work wonders with.

In other words, the written instructions, in this case, leaves a gaping lacuna...that is, something to be desired.
OK. A quickie.

Tony demanded that you perform his routines EXACTLY as he did, almost down to the accent. For instance, in the One Coin Routine the imp pass is covered by the line, "People think I use my sleeves [pause], but it's not true." He pronounced sleeves in two syllables: SLEE-ves. When I first performed it for him, I--not being Old World Italian--said "sleeves." He said, "No sleeves, SLEE-ves."

I said, "Tony, you can say SLEE-ves, but I can't say SLEE-ves. I have to say "sleeves."

"No," he repeated. "SLEE-ves!"

He insisted that the timing of the imp pass demanded SLEE-ves, so when I performed it for him, I said "SLEE-ves." For the rest of the world, I said "sleeves."

Bob
Tony demanded that you perform his routines EXACTLY as he did, almost down to the accent. For instance, in the One Coin Routine the imp pass is covered by the line, "People think I use my sleeves [pause], but it's not true." He pronounced sleeves in two syllables: SLEE-ves. When I first performed it for him, I--not being Old World Italian--said "sleeves." He said, "No sleeves, SLEE-ves."

this is true and we talk about this on the dvd...cellini once confided with me that he thought it hurt him for a long time because when he worked people would say oh hes another Slydini student...but after time he came to realize the importance of his teaching in relationship to movement involving mis-direction and the concealing of sleights...also the relaxed state....

I wish I knew about you so we could have interviewed...we really only interviewed a few of his students and we could have gone much further but this is an expensive venture in the magic community....

as I stated earlier on this forum that I'm often disappointed by magicians...i mean look at the hits for things here...at this point this Slydini post has had around 600 hits...man, some of these trick dvd's get 10,000 hits...and that stuff cant be compared to what Slydini is about....but that is the way it is...we can only spend so much money because we can onbly get so much back...if it weren't for pirating of tapes and dvd's...the just plain ole stealing of a mans lifes work so that someone can save $35...we would be able to go much much further...

in the past I feel that my little company has gone way beyond trick videos...the art of street performing part 1, 2 and 3 are motion pictures compared to what a trick dvd is..and I'm not complaining about how these products have sold...but if some magicians understood whats important in the real world of performance magic they would certainly sell more...and if there wasn't piracy MAN! we could do a lot, lot more...

this not to say that this Slydini projecty is not worthy because I feel its very important and historical because it is...

I'm trully hoping that the magic community surprises me on this one and buys it right out of the gate and that they don't pirate this one...this is special...

we would love to go into these kind of projects more and if this sells the way we think it should we will produce even more projects like this....

koz
What you just said is so bittersweet ...

I enjoyed the anecdote about Slydini. It brings up an interesting paradox...how does one perform Slydini's routines correctly, and yet NOT become a silly looking imitation of a person they are not? Yet, as mentioned, the words spoken, and even the way they are accented and timed was all tied in by Slydini to create the MAXIMUM deception; the misdirection was inseparable from the words used and the manner in which they were spoken.

If Slydini holds up and displays a book of matches and says "These matches are going to dissapear right before your very eyes!", and the hand then falls to the table while the eyes body, and facial muscles relax ... then he brightens and says "Watch!" (Of course the matches are ALLREADY gone, having "vanished" at the moment of relaxation,) he then puts the phantom matches in the left hand and a moment later the audience is shocked to see them GONE from where they "KNEW" they were, and they were BURNING that left hand that "contained" the matches..well, he gets maximum effect out of it because the words and gestures are totally natural for him.

Now when attempt it, I feel awkward using thise words. They don't feel "right" for me. Even the gesture of displaying the matches feels off. Bottom line: I am NOT Tony Slydini!

So then what is the solution? Should I continue to imitate the man, even though I feel quite un-natural doing so, (and that feeling may be telegraphed to my audience!) or should I "re-invent the wheel" and try to think of new words and a new gesture to accomplish the magical vanish? I am in a twixt, because If I do the latter, then I would have to say I have perverted something that was perfect in the first place. And surely my take on it could never be as STRONG as the original creation.

So, it seems, there is a fine line to walk here. I'd be interested to know how some of his most succesful students handle that paradox. I have much to learn.
You might find Paul Chosse's posting [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/search_post.php?topic=100810&forum=3&post=4176846]here[/url] enlightening.

Larry D.
Thanks Larry! I read the post and in fact the entire topic with great relish.

I'm on a Slydini binge lately, and I can't seem to get off...in fact I don't want to.

In my way of thinking, his magic remains nonpareil.
Well this will help you with a fix....

koz
You must mean the CD that's about to hit the market?
Doug:

When I perform a Slydini routine (never more than 1 per show) I tell the audience about my relationship with him. I inform them that his magic was like no one else's and that I perform it as a tribute to him. Creates a little more interest in the audience and enables me to slip more naturally into Slydini mode.

Bob
Slydini mode, I assume, not meaning an imitation of him, but rather into a mental frame of mind where the moves and gestures neccesary for the misdirection are easily acsessed? Am I on the right track, here?
Absolutely.
Been there, done that!
I just ran accross this thread. This is certainly good news!

This is something that I certainly will be buying once it is out.
Good! thanks
koz
I heard that Dai Vernon said he doesn't get fooled anymore-except by Tony ( Slydini ). Is that true?
I would guess it was indeed true when he was alive.
Yes....we establish that with interviews on this dvd...someome said that vernon said no one could fool him....except Slydini...its a nice piece

vernon and Slydini used to get together and play cards...and with no rules...you could cheat and they would cheat each other...a ton...thats was the idea of the game...

koz
Cmon Koz

Quit baiting and just get the darn thing out!
Park
(whodini)
So, what's the estimated release date for the DVD?
Um, goinh to be authored early next week...at the replicators within 10 days...i would guess 3 weeks from right now

hey park, good hearing form you dude!
So...

Are you taking pre orders at this stage ?

Daniel
Na....too much for an old burnt out street guy like me to remember....ut will be out there soon
thanks
koz
[quote]
On 2005-09-21 21:51, tedb wrote:
Yes....we establish that with interviews on this dvd...someome said that vernon said no one could fool him....except Slydini...its a nice piece

vernon and Slydini used to get together and play cards...and with no rules...you could cheat and they would cheat each other...a ton...thats was the idea of the game...

koz
[/quote]

Now [i]that[/i] I would have loved to see!
Pls keep us posted, this sounds like a great set!
I will
So now I won't be able to sleep for three weeks.

Gene
I hope there is footage of Sylydini in a chicken suit doing the egg bag.
I don't think so
[quote]
On 2005-09-24 11:09, MagicChris wrote:
I hope there is footage of Sylydini in a chicken suit doing the egg bag.
[/quote]

[i]HUH[/i]???
So its done....3 hours and 45 minutes...and its beautiful...not becuase of me but because of who this guy was and this dvd set shows that....i'm not soliciting bizz here...i'm telling the truths...if you are a blaineiac you likely wont get this but if you have a true appreciation for great close-up magic you will watch and fall inlove all over again with Slydinis magic...for all those on the dvd you will be proud...this is in my opinion the most important magic dvd maybe ever put out on close-up magic, not because it teaches tricks but it teaches magic...all the stuff that makes it work and it tells a wonderful story of who Slydini was..

my wish is that you buy and cherish this dvd set and you enjoy this as much as we did uin making it

in stores for x-mas

koz
Any preoders specials for Café members? Looking forward to this one.
No, I cant keep track of stuff...but it will be out there soon....about 3 weeks or so
koz
Did you mention the DVDs price? I nee to start thinking about saving up.
Its a 2 dvd set in one box $70

koz
What's the running time of each DVD?

Will murphys be carrying them?
Yes , murphys...i don't know the exact lenght...a little over and hour and a half per disc....

koz
Can you say about how much is teaching and how much is performance? I got Tony Clark's Timing is Everything DVD 2 weeks ago and today it wouldn't play. It's cracked and no one in the house is fessing up. Anyway, I'm hoping for some teaching on the DVD.

If there is teaching, can you drop a hint as to what is taught?

Thanks,

Gene
It has performance and teaching of his coin routines, 3 torn and restored cigerrette routines, paper balls in the hat, interlude with a paper napkin (i love this routine)the production of silks, the knots.and it has performance only of the pin, paper balls over the hat (which is fantastic and an amazing lesson in mis-direction) and his sponge ball routine ...all either performed by Slydini or by one of his students..plas the impass and revolve vanish...plus tons of documentary style interviews to try to establish who this guy was and how he effected so many lifes....

this is a master of the art and in my opinion the best to ever breath...he created so much and I promise you that you willtruly love these dvd's////i liked the tony clark thing but this is at another level of Slydini thinking and teaching...like I said I really liked the tony clark dvd

koz
[quote]
On 2005-09-26 13:32, tedb wrote:
Yes , murphys...i don't know the exact lenght...a little over and hour and a half per disc....

koz
[/quote]

I was under the impression that Murphy's only sold to dealers and not to individuals like you and me! Does that mean I have to be a magic dealer to get these? In that case, I'm out of luck.
Murphys sells to dealers....if you have the cahs you will be able to buy one...thats for sure

koz
Koz is there going to be any cigarette manipulation??
Just the 3 torn and restored gic routiens....
[quote]
On 2005-09-27 09:25, tedb wrote:
Murphys sells to dealers....if you have the cahs you will be able to buy one...thats for sure

koz
[/quote]
I'm still a little confused...are you telling me that I will still be able to purchase from Murphies even if I am not a dealer?

My understanding is that they sell to dealers exclusively.
Yes they sell to dealers and then you buy from the dealer...and inpromise I will sell you a copy...PROMISE I want your money :)

koz
Which students are on this DvD?
Cellini, bob yorburg, bill brunelle, charlie cambre, um, think? um
rocco artie miller, johnny fox, mark mitton, theres more?...i'm old and going blank

its a great dvd set....it will make you cry..
koz
Hey Koz

Another question - Paul Chosse and others, in another thread I believe, alluded to the aspect of 'sentence/patter length' in Slydini's thinking in relation to covering secret actions (I hope what I mean is clear).

Is this discussed at all in the DVDs ?

Best and thanks
Daniel
[quote]
On 2005-09-27 23:56, tedb wrote:
Cellini, bob yorburg, bill brunelle, charlie cambre, um, think? um
rocco artie miller, johnny fox, mark mitton, theres more?...i'm old and going blank

its a great dvd set....it will make you cry..
koz
[/quote]
You mean it's a very emotional experience?
I'm not sure. there is a lot of talk about relaxed state which I think sometimes happens in conjunction with patter to cover sleights and movements....i'm not sure if we really hit on that although I think in performance with study you will see all of that...hes performing enough stuff here that it becommes obvious to someone who understands that kind of psycology(cant spell)
koz
Koz

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to this.

Daniel
Yea...it's off for authoring...3 weeks

koz

Posted: Oct 4, 2005 8:34pm
At replicators...

koz
What's the latest?
Sheesh..wish I hadn't found this thread..what a tease! Can't wait though..stuff like this is what brought me back to magic.
If you think this is a tease try the Coin In Soda can thread!!!
I just found this thread this morning. Sounds like a great project.
How much time on the DVD is devoted to actual performances by Tony Slydini?

I think it is a shame that Dick Cavett has not released the 2 half hour shows he did with Tony back in 1977 /78. Especially considering that he stated the purpose of the two shows was to preserve Slydini on tape for the future. Luckily, many of us have these copies taped off the air with the old Sony Betamax machines .
And by the way, Bob, Mark Wilson was not also on the shows. You are confusing the Dick Cavett show with the HBO special which Cavett was the MC and Tony and Mark were among the scheduled performers. Hey, that was 30 years ago, I don't blame you.

I have a short video of a private magician's party where Slydini performs the pins, it was mentioned above that the pins will be on the DVD set, but, is it performed by Tony or one of his students?
A quick side note: The best part of my video tape is the mock interview of Tony by Comedy magician Lenny Greenfader. He asks Tony after performing, "So what do you do for a living?" and Tony says he is a shoemaker.
Tony [i]really said[/i] that??
Slydini was a funny guys!

theres a lot of tony...but the pins were performed by bob yourborg

but we have seom [retty rare footage of tony...so I think this will be a nice addition to anyones collection of Slydini...

I don't have it in front of me but off the top he does paper balls in hat, also over the head...some of the cig routines..the coins...knots....production of silks I think ...some of the performances are not compete...some of the foootage was shot in the 50's and 60's....

I think, like I said before...this is historic

koz
Paper balls in hat...was that basicly the same as the paper balls in cardboard box routine?
Yes....its done with a box on the dvd sey...sorry...originally it was done with a hat

koz
:pepper: I never knew about the hat. The only version I have ever been conversant with was the box, but I can easily see how a hat would work just as well. :)
Daffydoug

I believe in the Fulves books there is a photography of Slydini performing the paper balls in the hat at a 'fair'-type event. He must have been 40 at the time. It's a weird photography if you ask me, because it captures Slydini making an unusual frown.

D.
I wonder why he was frowning?
What a shame it wasn't taped, but I was tech advisor for an all magic TV show in San Francisco years ago and I booked Slydini and he did a huge segment... but it was live and no tape.

Argh.
[quote]
On 2005-10-10 18:54, daffydoug wrote:
:pepper: I never knew about the hat. The only version I have ever been conversant with was the box, but I can easily see how a hat would work just as well. :)
[/quote]That's VERY funny to me.. :)
Actually I have seen him doing it with the hat (life) and later, when he used that foldable box, I always found THAT weird.. no kidding.. :)

In case you wonder...
The hat was a *natural*, the box was a *prop*..
I was refering to the Fulves book which I once owned, studied, used and treasured. It shows the box..even gives the exact dimensions for constructing it...but makes no mention of a hat.

Besides, there are few "gentlemen" nowadays wearing "hats" (ala Ward Cleaver) so you would end up likely doing it with a baseball cap. That may not work very well.

So, back to the box.

Posted: Oct 15, 2005 7:01am
Quote:
On 2005-10-15 07:00, daffydoug wrote:
I was refering to the Fulves book which I once owned, studied, used and treasured. It shows the box..even gives the exact dimensions for constructing it...but makes no mention of a hat.

Besides, there is a dearth of "gentlemen" nowadays wearing bonafide "hats" (ala Ward Cleaver) so you would end up likely doing it with a baseball cap! That may not work very well.

So, back to the box.
Slydini moved to the box because he could show it legit as empty prior to start and lift it at the end to show the appearance of the paper balls. He thought this was a big improvement over the hat.

And yes Daffydoug...Tony really said(jokingly of course) that he was a shoemaker. The bit was originally filmed on 8mm film at a 1977 Christmas party. A guy is interviewing Tony and Frank Garcia. He asks Frank his name and Frank says "Frank Garcia". The guy now asks Slydini who answers, "Mr. Shuman" The interviewer moves to Frank and asks him what he does for a living and Frank says, " I'm in buttons and lace" Then the guy asks Tony and he says he is a shoemaker. The interview guy asks Tony "Do you do magic?" and Tony says, "No, but my brother does". The interviewer asks, "Do you give lessons?" Tony says ,"Yes, How to tie shoes". The interviewer now goes on to show Tony a coin trick. A little later in this tape Tony performs the linking pins.
So, how long till the dvd comes out now?
[quote]
On 2005-10-15 09:22, RC4MAG wrote:
Slydini moved to the box because he could show it legit as empty prior to start and lift it at the end to show the appearance of the paper balls. He thought this was a big improvement over the hat.

And yes Daffydoug...Tony really said(jokingly of course) that he was a shoemaker. The bit was originally filmed on 8mm film at a 1977 Christmas party. A guy is interviewing Tony and Frank Garcia. He asks Frank his name and Frank says "Frank Garcia". The guy now asks Slydini who answers, "Mr. Shuman" The interviewer moves to Frank and asks him what he does for a living and Frank says, " I'm in buttons and lace" Then the guy asks Tony and he says he is a shoemaker. The interview guy asks Tony "Do you do magic?" and Tony says, "No, but my brother does". The interviewer asks, "Do you give lessons?" Tony says ,"Yes, How to tie shoes". The interviewer now goes on to show Tony a coin trick. A little later in this tape Tony performs the linking pins.
[/quote]

Thanks for the detailed info! I can ascertain from your post that Slydini had a sharp wit and equally acuminate sense of humor! Do you concur? :rainbow:
Tony indeed had a sharp wit and great sense of humor.
I hope the DVD coming out has a lot of Slydini footage. The DVD sounds like it is 3 1/2 hrs long, but I hope it is not just 10 minutes of Slydini and the rest by his students. Either way, I am sure I will buy it anyway.
The more actual Slydini the better, no doubt. :rainbow:
So, how long till it comes out?
The DVD's look like they will be avialble in a few weeks. Here's what's on them:

DISC ONE Slydini Performs:
Coins Through the Table
Cigarette Miracle
Two Cigarettes From One
Cellini Performs and explains the Slydini Movement
Coins Through the Table Including: Han Ping Chein, Revolve Vanish, and Imp Pass
Cigarette Miracle
Two Cigarettes From One
Impossible Dream
Other effects performed by Slydini students: Bill Brunelle - Slydini's Interlude With a Paper Napkin (Explained by Jim Cellini)
Slydini's Sponge Ball Routine (Performance Only)
Charlie Cambra, The Illusive Four (Performance Only)
Bob Yorburg, Slydini's Linking Pins (Performance Only)

DISC TWO Slydini Performs:
Paper Balls Over the Head
Production of Silks
Knotted Silks (Stage Version)
Paper Balls to the Hat (Box)
Cellini Performs & Explains Production of Silks, Knotted Silks (Stage Version), and Paper Balls to the Hat (Box)
I was fortunate enough to receive an advanced copy of the new Slydini DVDs yesterday and watched them this evening. I wanted to copy a letter I forwarded to Ted after viewing these DVDs:

"Hi Ted. I watched "As I Remember" this evening. You guys have done a remarkable job. This is a very valuable project that will have a lasting and important part in magic history. It's wonderful to hear the stories of Slydini, to learn some of the important lessons Slydini imparted, and to see and learn the routines that made him famous. As a kid, seeing Slydini on TV was what was hooked me on magic. I could not believe my eyes... magic DID exist. Seeing these same brilliant routines now 30 years later on this DVD set I am reminded of what a powerful effect magic can have, how simplicity in an effect can create a true masterpiece beyond much of the convoluted pieces we see now a day, how revering one's magic translates into a more powerful experience for the spectator, etc. These DVDs were a true joy to watch. I hope that the magic world will not overlook these DVDs considering Slydini as "passe"... so so far from the truth. Even if your style is vastly different there are SO many valuable lessons in here for any student of magic. Thanks for the effort and hard work you guys put into these. Great job!"

I HIGHLY recommend these DVDs. These guys have put a lot of work and effort and caring into the DVDs... obviously this comes from the admiration that they have for the influence Slydini had on their magic. You can see the effort, the work, etc. These were a joy to watch and if you study the DVDs closely there are many many lessons you can take into your magic. Even if you just want a "show" you will see what true magic looks like in watching the many clips of Slydini performing.

Just as an aside, Ted also just finished a DVD set (2 individual DVDs) on the magic of Geoff Williams. I first became acquainted with Geoff through his great notes "A Lecture Your Mother Never Gave You" followed later by his other notes "The Lecture Your Father Never Gave You". Both of these notes contain some great great routines. I was fortunate enough to finally meet Geoff in person and spend some time with him at the last LVMI convention. For me Geoff was the highlight of the convention. He's a hell of a nice guy and his magic is strong, his presentations absolutely hilarious, and his thinking just brilliant. Geoff's strength is taking "standard" or published routines (always with permission) and taking them to a whole new level both in handling and presentation. Although I have not yet seen the DVDs (I am promised an advanced copy soon which I'll discuss when I see it), I have seen just the covers and was laughing out loud- typical Geoff Williams humor- just make sure you look closely at the covers. With these new DVDs you will not only learn some GREAT routines (I am familiar with the contents) but you will be thoroughly entertained if it is at all like I saw of Geoff performing. Although Geoff is not widely known in the magic world I predict these DVDs will become very popular and be talked about VERY highly as word spreads. I am truly looking forward to these. A great variety of gems you should not miss.

I believe both the Slydini and the Geoff Williams DVDs will be ready sometime in November. Don't pass up any of these. Obviously very different projects but both will be very valuable (and if you have missed it you SHOULD pick up the Lonnie Chevrie DVDs- Lonnie is, in my opinion, one of magic's hidden treasures- just ask Chad Long, Bob Sheets, Roger Klause, etc. - these guys are all raving about Lonnie's work and on these DVDs you see some of his best items).

Tim Trono
Im not sure but checkc hocus-pocus I thought I saw this released today.
I could be wrong though.

http://hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/

sorry it was a preorder.
Hey Koz

What's the timing behind the release ?

Thanks again
Daniel
Hey Koz

What's the timing behind the release ?

Thanks again
Daniel
These are in packaging at the replicators and should be out next week...i would have gotten back to you sooner but The Magic Café was unavailable to me for a while! :)
koz
I was fortunate enough to see Slydini live 2 times. One time he came in a magic shop I was at and he performed the simple Color Cube, the effect where a spectator puts a colored cube in a box and selects a certain color on the top, the magician is able to identify the upper color with the lid on the box. Well of course Slydini went through the motions and was trying to identify the color on the top, he was shaking the box and you could hear it rattling inside, well after much guessing as to the color he removed the lid and believe it or not the cube that was inside all along had VANISHED. The guy was magic to anything he touched. After his lecture I attended I walked up to him and shook his hand and just told him " YOU ARE TOTALLY AWESOME" He of course was very humble. Slydini was the best.
Rennie
Yea.....you can see his humble ways through out this dvd set....it comes out this week
Hey Koz

We're still all hanging in there. My wife has agreed to get me your product for Christmas. She may change her mind if we wait too long. As a personal favor, I would appreciate it if you could put the DVD up for sale just a few hours so we can pass an order, and then you can take it offline again.

Just joking - and on the verge of going crazy while waiting.

Thanks
Daniel
Hello,

Hocus Pocus just received the New Slydini DVD set today. We have plenty in stock for immediate delivery. Check our website for details http://www.hocus-pocus.com .

Best Regards
Paul Gross
Owner
Hocus Pocus
Thanks you paul...have you had a chancce to take a look at them?
hoep you like them...i don't have them yet...you beat me...how'd that work
koz
Hello tedb,

The DVD's just arrived this morning and I have not had a chance to view them yet. I do plan on taking a set home to watch over the weekend. I had the pleasure of attending a lecture by Slydini many years ago in San Francisco. In my opinion he was the best.

Best Regards
Paul Gross
Owner
Hocus Pocus
I totally agree...there has never been a better cloe-up guy alive..BRILLANT
thanks
for buying them, I hope they move well for you guys...tell mike giusti I will send him one as soon as I get one...hopws does that work?
:)
koz
Tedb, congratulations, I think this will be a very big seller for you. Slydini is one of the all time greats.
I hope so
koz
Paul,

When will the pre-orders be sent out?

Gene
Hello Gene,

All pre-orders were shipped today...

Best Regards
Paul Gross
Owner
Hocus Pocus
Hi

Will any UK magic shops be stocking these must have Slydini DVDs?

Cheers, Jase
I would guess that they would...they should be everywhere,,,i think most dealers deal with murphys magic supplies....so they can get them

koz
These DVDs should be available from most any dealer worldwide- contact your favorite dealer. We (Murphy's) just got them late last week so they have started to ship out to shops/dealers worldwide.

Ted had raved about the Slydini project over the last year and I kind of figured he was hyping it being the producer. He finally sent me an advanced copy a few weeks back and it was fabulous - the truth was there was really no hype - just GREAT GREAT DVDs. See my comments earlier in this posting. Don't pass this up. It's wonderful to see the footage of Slydini- true magic. Seeing Slydini on TV some 30 years ago is what captured me and gave me the magic bug as a kid. It's also great to learn some fabulous routines, thoughts on movement, etc. from some of Slydini's students featured on this 2 DVD set. These DVDs are, in my opinion, an absolute must watch/must have. You WON'T be disappointed.

Ted will also be releasing very shortly 2 Geoff Williams DVDs. Many of you may not know Geoff but he is great! These DVDs are PACKED with GREAT magic (quite a variety of stuff) and are also highly recommended. People will certainly be talking about Geoff after these DVDs hit the market.

Great job Ted on both of these projects.

Tim Trono
[quote]
On 2005-11-19 07:19, Jase wrote:
Hi

Will any UK magic shops be stocking these must have Slydini DVDs?

Cheers, Jase
[/quote]

I spoke with Peter Nardi of Alakazam last week, and he gave me a positive answear about selling Slyydini's DVD.
Tim,
thanks for the kind words....
koz
I got excited about this one when I seen it hit Murphy's New Release list.

I have copies on the way to The SpookClub for those in Canada (I do offer free shipping to The U.S. and reasonable price to The U.K.) who are interested in this DVD.

I tried getting a copy for myself snuck into my last shipment from Murphy's, but I got half way. Paid for it, but didn't receive it. :(

I should have them in stock next week though.

Sincerely,
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
Wayno and all,
I just got back from new york shooting my dvd's with ted (kozmos) (lol). And not only are they GRAET GUYS to work with BUT the production and quality is surpassed by none! Ted shot me over the new Slydini dvd's and I am about to watch them...even though I have not seen this yet I can tell you that THIS IS one DVD collection you NEED to have in your library. I will write a review on this in a few days....let the turkey and triptaphein wear off!
Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.
Justin Miller
Tedb; I cant tell you how excited I am to find out about this dvd. Thanks for all the effort in bringing this to the magic world. Without a doubt T. Slydini was a master in a class by himself. I told Santa to put this on the top of my Christmas wish-list. I don't own many magic dvd's, but you can bet I will own this one! If it aint in my stocking on Christmas morning, you'll be hearing from me soon after!
:) well I don't think you will be disappointed...its a really good project I think and a real study for the real guys out there...yea, he was trully amazing and I think that these would make tony proud
thanks
koz
Hopefully I will recive my copy of this long avaited DVD next week from a Swedish magic dealer.
My assumption is it will be the best DVD of year 2005, see another thread in this section.
Peo
I think you will be right...this is a historic magic event in my opinion.....and I would feel that way even if I wasn't involved
koz
Tedb; Do know of any existing footage of the 1973 tv special Magic Man that was hosted by Bill Bixby? I believe Tony performed on that show along with some other greats. I would love to find a copy of that special for my library.
No, we searched for it but couldn't find it
sorrry
koz
[quote]I can tell you that THIS IS one DVD collection you NEED to have in your library.
[/quote]
Definitely. I love Slydini's work with cigarettes. I love cigarette manipulation. :D With Mullica's Cigarette videos discontinued from A1, finding video of cigarette magic, becomes quite the challenge. ;) Being that there's less and less smokers around, the market isn't exactly there to be selling the material.

Keith Clarke's Encyclopedia of Cigarette Tricks from Robbins is being discontinued. Once it's gone, it looks like Robbins isn't planning to reprint. :( Not that the book is easy to follow for most anyhow. But a must for those interested in cig manipulation.

I hope there's some good cigarette manipulation in this series. :D

Sincerely,
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
Wayne, I don'tknownif you would call it cigerrete manipulation...there are however 3 torn and restoed cig routines on the dvd set...
[quote]
On 2005-11-26 13:14, tedb wrote:
Wayne, I don'tknownif you would call it cigerrete manipulation...there are however 3 torn and restoed cig routines on the dvd set...

[/quote]

That is unfortunate. I was hoping Cigarette Miracle would be something other than a torn and restored. :(

I am farmiliar with Impossible Dream. And Two Cigarettes from One I beleive is where he rips apart a cigarette, and it becomes 2 seperate cigarettes. Impossible Dream doesn't tickle my fancy that much. Two Cigarettes from One is always a nice effect.

Cigarette Miracle I am not farmiliar with but was hoping it would include some of his excellent manipulation. Guess I am wrong, and disappointed. But either way, I've made my mind up, and hope I will find the performances at least entertaining (I am sure I will).

Sincerely,
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
Well there are a lot of explanation in there too...and listen, there a re a ton of lessons on mis-direction....and grace in performing

Slydini was wonderful
[quote]Slydini was wonderful[/quote]

You have got that right. They sure don't make magicians like they used to.

Sincerely,
Wayne Stevenson
The SpookClub
Charlie Cambra from Connecticut was a student of Slydini
Yea, charleis on the set...he was great...really nice stories baout him and tony and charlies wife...great friends I think
koz
Charlie Cambra from Connecticut was a student of Slydini