(Close Window)
Topic: Mirrors
Message: Posted by: The Mirror Images (Sep 12, 2005 08:09PM)
Ok this is weird. But I would love to know more about this.

My old 1989 big screen projection screen blew about a mouth ago. Now I am getting a new TV. But when I took the old one apart there was a mirror at an angle. Thought it was a mirror till I took it off and relized it was some other nice reflective material. Can anyone tell what it is. To me I am guessing aluminium foil type thing. But this is just CRYSTAL clear. For being over 15 years old it doesn't have a spec of dust on it or a mark. Very well perserve. Just like to know what the material is?

Thanks

Michael
I don't know about this particular mirror, but at least some projection TV mirrors are made from float glass. Perhaps it is just a high-grade mirror with a protective film? Or maybe first-surface mirror?

There are also some micro-mirror things, cant remember what they're called but if its not very thick and doesn't have wires or electronics attached to it, I kinda doubt it.
Message: Posted by: The Mirror Images (Sep 13, 2005 09:27AM)
The float glass might be it. Cause when you touch it it bends in. It is just way cool.

Michael
Okay, this has picqued my interest !
I don't know what it is yet either, but I'm going to find out more about it.
If I come up with anything good, I'll post it here.
Message: Posted by: The Mirror Images (Sep 13, 2005 05:08PM)
I hope you find out. It is a very LIGHT weight mirror. So it might be able to be used for some type of illusion application.

Michael
Success ! I even found a place to buy them.
They offer 4 different mirrors, from just $29 up to $269:

http://www.alltronics.com/lenses.htm

Check at the bottom of the page.
Float glass is basically liquid glass poured onto a stream of molten tin, and allowed to sort itself all out. Weird.

BTW, that's a good site. Another one for my bookmark archive.
(http://www.phrets.com/magicbookmarks.html )
Message: Posted by: The Mirror Images (Sep 14, 2005 10:26AM)
Mystician,

Sweet stuff. Thanks for the info. That is some sweet stuff.

Michael